Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT!
Hal Lindsay Twin

Columbus, OH

#811 May 5, 2014
as for abuse... look towards calumet over a decade ago and home churches 1988-1993.
I want to hear of a current member/leader actually approaching Dennis on these issues.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#812 May 12, 2014
Twin of Hal Lindsay wrote:
Xenos Apologists- A Couple of questions.
STAFF MEMBERS AND HOUSE CHURCH LEADERS--THIS IS YOUR HOMEWORK
I look forward to Dennis being honest about the past and this thread on Topix fading into obscurity
Looks like we have testimony from someone who was a leader in the 1990s. Remember my earlier claim that unless you are a Home Group Leader you will not see most of the things that go on behind the scenes since the 1970s. However as a leader you can see Dennis McCallum's DNA being replicated and therefore will NOT accept alternative explanations for the bad behavior at Xenos (see my earlier post on the 5-step process for misleading members about cult-like manipulation).

One caviat, many of the members in the 1980s who became evangelical Christians at Xenos in would have never darkened the door of any church much less one with traditional liturgy. For these individuals Xenos became the sole lifeline to rescue them from the world. Dennis was always keen to recognize the differentiation and role Xenos played as an alternative to this segment of the lost. It has been core to his vision for over 40 years and he has delivered on that vision.

THe same could be said for Rod Parsley. Despite cult-like teaching of word faith and every message being about you giving Rod your money to prove one's faith in God. I know several people that would only go to a church with a bonafide (by which I actually mean fake)miracle worker who were saved and have entered into a lifelong relationship with Christ.

God seems to tolerate the Dennis McCallums and Rod Parsley's of the world in order that some might be saved.

However becoming saved is not really the point of church. Rather becoming Christ-like seems to be the point. Both Xenos and World Harvest seem suboptimal in the extreme on this latter point.

Über
charlie darwin

Hilliard, OH

#813 May 29, 2014
Karen K wrote:
My daughter is required to "check in" with 3 different girls who are not much older than her each week. No matter what she does, it is never "enough". She is spending many hours a week going to meetings yet if she spends time with her parents or other friends she is questioned. She has been crying and emotionally disturbed by the way that she is micro-managed yet is afraid to break away from these people because she is afraid of what they will say about her and fears the loss of their love...I say that their love is conditional anyway. Who needs that? I guess that she's had an ear full of slander about others who have left. Also, as a parent, I've observed that her mentor avoided meeting me and has no desire to meet my daughter's parents as she attempts to mother my child herself. I am a believer myself, so I don't know why I'm to be disrespected...is it because I don't go to Xenos? Don't these people respect that fact that true believer's have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit? Do they not respect that God is able to direct the believer without constant intervention? Are they saved by "works"?...my guess is that they would deny that, but when you read about all the rules and requirements for being in a good standing,
There is but one way and Clyde the Clown from Tinkle Town is its interpreter. Woe to them who accept the blandishments from impure wants or discover that soul chasing isn't their fun thing. When you can't find your a$$ with either hand the conditional intimacy seems like manna from heaven. Soon enough the vast majority of the acolytes will be swallowed and eliminated, usually after suffering the tender mercies of momentary eminences on their own way to elimination. Nobody keeps score and that's a real shame because the results would put Clyde at the very bottom of the league tables. After elimination there's the rueful realization that it really was not the escape it appeared to be. You're twenty something and up the creek without a friend because all your friends were part of Clyde's personality cult. Don't lose your cool; it's all part of the big plan for your success. When you're miserable try to remember whether you participated in some of the mind-bending freeze-outs. Hopefully doing that dirty work made you a little sick. But, really, if Clyde is the plan, what shall you then do? Hold your nose and join in!
charlie darwin

Hilliard, OH

#814 May 29, 2014
Hal Lindsay Twin wrote:
as for abuse... look towards calumet over a decade ago and home churches 1988-1993.
I want to hear of a current member/leader actually approaching Dennis on these issues.
All standard personality cult stuff. You can find it in communism, business, politics, bureaucracy. Unfortunate that the preferred food at Xenos is teenagers but teenagers are neediest and most readily impressed by words. Once you're punched out it's time to figure out what appealed to you about it to begin with. Then weep and laugh and get on down the road.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#815 May 30, 2014
charlie darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
All standard personality cult stuff. You can find it in communism, business, politics, bureaucracy. Unfortunate that the preferred food at Xenos is teenagers but teenagers are neediest and most readily impressed by words. Once you're punched out it's time to figure out what appealed to you about it to begin with. Then weep and laugh and get on down the road.
Sweeping generalizations sound clever to the uneducated, but add no information to the discussion whatsoever. It doesn't seem like you have anything to add in terms of personal experience.

Charlie, Mark Twain once said, "To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence." After reading your posts above I am sure you will be success in life if Twain's formula is even slightly true.

Über
charlie darwin

Hilliard, OH

#816 Jun 7, 2014
If you follow, you participate in the in/out nonsense of the personality cult. If you're an adult, then getting thrown out is just desert. Minors are too young to know and it's a shame when they get sucked in only to be disgorged later.
shayleena

Columbus, OH

#817 Jun 9, 2014
It seems that no Xenos apologists have had anything to say since Hal Lindsey twin had some questions... Perhaps they approached dennis and God the smackdown!
girl who goes to xenos

New Albany, OH

#818 Jun 15, 2014
Concerned Parent wrote:
My daughter began attending Xenos Christian Fellowship in Columbus Ohio after one of her friends at school invited her. The church service was called a 'Central Teaching', & at this meeting the members taught my daughter that Jewish people are sinners & that the holocaust did not take place! I am extremely disgusted with what this so called Christian church is teaching to young people under the guise of being a bible centered church. I am seeking legal counsel to find out what legal recourse I have. Have any of you had anything like this occur? Please post if you know anything about this church.
I as well attend Xenos and you sir. Are very wrong, we learn through bible verse that Jesus himself was a Jew and took everyone's sin. We also learn on a structure of love everyone since they are also gods children. Also if your daughter thinks Xenos thought her that the Holocaust didn't exist she sir is very mistaken. I ask kindly that you at least attend an adult group before you start making assumptions OR file a false lawsuit.
-A passionate girl who loves the Lord
A Believer in the Lord

New Albany, OH

#819 Jun 15, 2014
charlie darwin wrote:
If you follow, you participate in the in/out nonsense of the personality cult. If you're an adult, then getting thrown out is just desert. Minors are too young to know and it's a shame when they get sucked in only to be disgorged later.
Can't you just let us who attend Xenos worship the Lord? You people say its a cult with people strangle holding the youth and misled adults! I've attended Xenos for a year now and its the best thing to happen to me. The people are so loving. "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Eph 4:2 Show some respect guys...
A current member

Columbus, OH

#820 Jun 17, 2014
I have read through this thread and I have a few things to say:

I do acknowledge if any of the "manipulation" that the leaders do is in fact happening it is amoral and un biblical. All of the groups I have been in have had great leaders who lead transparently with no signs of controlling or favoritism, but I know that there are a few groups which blasphemy our name.

Secondly, I have managed to keep a great relationship with my family since I moved out and I hangout with them weekly and I have even lead both my parents to Christ. They don't go out to xenos and my dad even goes out to another church which I fully support. I have friends who go out to other churches as well and I occasionally attend with them. I completely understand some of your concerns about the church and I think we have a long way to in some areas such as public perception bit Xenos is a good church. Also I follow God not xenos, If something were to make me choose between the two I would follow god in a heartbeat.

p.s. If a leader in xenos said he hates Jews, he is full of shit and should be reprimanded.
crh

Columbus, OH

#821 Jun 20, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
Hey, thanks for this reference. Good teaching! Really enjoyed it! And if you read it, of course it says nothing of the like. Of course Xenos does not teach that the Holocaust never happened! Just silly!!! They are a solid, Bible teaching church. Whoever told you that was misinformed. Either an outright lie, or perhaps a misunderstanding. They will sometimes comment on things people say in general (as any church would) but they would not condone that theory, if fact I'm sure they would refute it as ridiculous - although they tend to stick to scripture and how it relates to our life - and don't get into social issues much. Perhaps it was a joke that the hearer didn't get? Possible if it was a young person hearing it...maybe they didn't pick up on sarcasm? Anyway, get to the source if you are really curious/concerned. Ask the church directly about it or go to a Central Teaching or more...see for yourself first hand what is taught. Don't go believing everything you hear....rumors are never good.
About the fact that Christ's sacrifice does replace the Old Testament rituals and sacrifices. Yes this is true and very Scriptural. You can read it for yourself in the book of Hebrews and other places. We are no longer under Levitical law - this is a common core belief in Christianity. It is not a knock on Judaism - Jesus was a Jew after all - but He did came to save His people and the rest of the World. He made a superior way to reach God and have a permanent, ongoing relationship to Him. So in fact, Jesus came not to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. And God longs for all - Jewish and all other people groups, religions, ethnicities to come to Him through Christ. This was His plan all along to redeem mankind from himself (our poor choices/sin nature).
Anyway...off my soapbox. ;) Peace out!
crh

Columbus, OH

#822 Jun 20, 2014
Oh, and just to add one more thing...I attend Xenos currently - have for 2 years. Honestly it has spurred me on in my faith more than any other church I have ever attended. I have truly learned the meaning of grace and what it means in my life. I definitely believe that God is at work in this ministry. Of course it is not the only good church or ministry out there. There are so many, and no one would say Xenos is the only good place to be. God uses His people in many different ways, through many different churches/ministries. He is not limited by one set of people. That being said, I have been blessed beyond measure since I started attending here, in personal faith/growth, under the teaching, in my desire to serve and in truly being loved and others and desiring to love others more and more.

Are the teachers perfect? NO. They would not claim to be either. There have been many ups and downs through their 40 some years of service in Xenos. The church has went through struggles, tests of faith, doctrinal challenges, and has had many people come and go due to minor and major belief differences. What I find is that the leaders as a whole and especially (Gary DeLashmut & Dennis McCallum - sp?) are humble and approachable. They do not present themselves as superior in any way - or their ministry as superior. They know they are sinners and imperfect - just like everyone else. But they strive to rely upon the Holy Spirit to guide their church and make the best decisions possible. Perfect? No. No church/ministry is. Used by God for the salvation and Spiritual growth of thousands - most definitely YES! I thank God for this ministry and it's humble leadership.

That's my two cents worth...take it or leave it. But I will encourage anyone skeptical to investigate for themselves first hand. Go to a CT and/or Homechurch. Rumors (as mentioned above) are ugly and ignorant - for those who just want to get on the bandwagon and not find out first hand.

Will they tell you everything you want to hear? No, likely not. That is why it is controversial - because they teach the truth. Very unpopular in this day and age. Many want their "ears tickled" they want to hear what makes them comfortable and everyone else happy. Not always so with the Gospel.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#823 Jun 26, 2014
CRH - you said "Are the teachers perfect? NO." This misses the point I think. The teachers are not perfect at any church anywhere in the world yet few Evangelical churches that have completely orthodox teaching have so many thousands of complaints of being a cult. I grant your experience is genuine. And the teaching is some of the best teaching. But why so much manipulation? Most pastors I have met are very immature in that the have a high need for everyone to agree with their view. So again what type of behavior would have to be at the root of the leadership at Xenos to garner so many claims of abuse? Once you get promoted to home group leader you will get your first answers. Albeit muted by a quarter century of age on Dennis (A.K.A The Sword of Damocles to home group leaders) or Eminence Front to those who have spent enough time with him at the fire behind his old house on Calumet.
"Will they tell you everything you want to hear?" Again this is the wrong question. No pastor does that, anywhere. But again why all the cultic claims over the past 40 years? In the 80s I was told that cultic claims were due to immaturity in leaders (new ones not Dennis), then I met the real Dennis. He seems to be immune to maturity. Enjoy his teaching as I did, but don't put on the What Would Dennis Do braclet as all home group leaders, sphere leaders and elders must.
There are people on this blog that know the inner workings of Xenos. I have three friends that were Elders. I was a home group leader. You have no idea who this individual is if you are describing him as "humble."
Gary may appear humble but has presided over a ruse for 40 years and is the press secretary spinning Dennis' egomenaical tyrades into church discipline narratives.
Enjoy the best from Xenos and move on to a place that can teach you how to love others unconditionally, not conditioned by sichophancy and uniformity of opinion.
Perhaps I will see you on July 9th-11th at the Xenos Summer Institute, as I am planning to attend. Always great info on evangelizing postmoderns.
ceara

Westerville, OH

#824 Jun 27, 2014
Jim wrote:
I am appalled that you could make a statement like this without taking the time to check your facts. Essentially every point you made here is a blatant lie. To prove my point... That pastor you were talking about, organized the raising of TEN THOUSAND dollars to donate to Kwesi's memorial fund. Most of which came from HEART BROKEN peers of Kwesi.
http://www.donationto.com/We-Love-Kwesi--Samp...
<quoted text>
I have a friend that was kicked out of the Xenox because of a sexual sin but what I have heard about xenox is sick they made her called a friend because she couldnt come to youth group and tell her that she will burn in hell, also they made a boy and a girl dating of four years break up because she gave him a hand job before marriage, children make mistakes and xenox punishes you for them. they have used my friends name in speeches calling her satan and they ask members before they join xenox if they know her, also they told her she couldn't talk to anyone out of xenos including her family. this has almost pushed her to a point to move out of the state and change her name. Xenos is a cult and they should all burn in hell
ceara

Westerville, OH

#825 Jun 27, 2014
I have a friend that was kicked out of the Xenox because of a sexual sin but what I have heard about Xenox is sick they made her called a friend because she couldn't come to youth group and tell her that she will burn in hell, also they made a boy and a girl dating of four years break up because she gave him a hand job before marriage, children make mistakes and Xenox punishes you for them. they have used my friends name in speeches calling her Satan and they ask members before they join Xenox if they know her, also they told her she couldn't talk to anyone out of Xenos including her family. this has almost pushed her to a point to move out of the state and change her name. Xenos is a cult and they should all burn in hell
Old-timer

Columbus, OH

#826 Jun 30, 2014
I've been attending Xenos since I was in college 25 ago. I was a senior home church leader and was on the servant team. Two of my children currently live in ministry houses.

I think one way to answer many of the parent concerns about academics is to do a short survey of all the kids who live in a ministry house and intend on getting an undergraduate degree from OSU / Columbus State. The survey could be handed out by each house leader and turned in within one month. The kids would report if they are currently enrolled (or dropped out), their current GPA and year in school (freshman, sophomore, junior or senior). The results could be compared to the current university stats and then everyone would know what impact the Xenos college ministry has on academic performance.
Trix

Columbus, OH

#827 Jul 3, 2014
Old-timer wrote:
I've been attending Xenos since I was in college 25 ago. I was a senior home church leader and was on the servant team. Two of my children currently live in ministry houses.
I think one way to answer many of the parent concerns about academics is to do a short survey of all the kids who live in a ministry house and intend on getting an undergraduate degree from OSU / Columbus State. The survey could be handed out by each house leader and turned in within one month. The kids would report if they are currently enrolled (or dropped out), their current GPA and year in school (freshman, sophomore, junior or senior). The results could be compared to the current university stats and then everyone would know what impact the Xenos college ministry has on academic performance.
Do people in those houses cheat? Are people in those houses helping members write papers or even take tests in large lecture halls?
A current member

Chicago, IL

#828 Jul 3, 2014
The guys in the house (at lest the houses that I have been in) DO NOT cheat and would called out for such a thing. I would personally rebuke a guy in the house for doing any of the things in this thread. Xenos isn't perfect and often makes mistakes but I can personally atest to none of the things in the thread bring true within the groups I have been a part of.
I would personally not tolerate any of these accusations being true because they are anti biblical if they are true. No Christian should hate Jews or say that a believer who accepted Christ will burn in hell (Romans 8:28-29 says that nothing can invalidate God's grace). I would recommend tracking down the parties responsible and find what really happened rather then take the victims word for it.

Old-timer

Columbus, OH

#829 Jul 4, 2014
Trix wrote:
<quoted text>
Do people in those houses cheat? Are people in those houses helping members write papers or even take tests in large lecture halls?

Cheating has never been tolerated.

And by the way, I assure you that many of the accusations on this thread are completely outrageous and untrue. I've been involved in Xenos for over 25 years and have occasionally seen some trends that were troubling or unbalanced but they eventually get corrected. On a smaller scale, people will always make mistakes or even intentionally do something wrong but these things are isolated events, not organization-wide practices. I think many of the accusations on this thread fall into this category - someone does something immature or wrong and the entire church is blamed for it. Other examples on this thread are true - like premarital sex not being condoned - because that's simply the Biblical position on the matter.

The only complaint that I hear today - that I personally know has some truth to it - is the concern that students are neglecting their academic pursuits because of so many meetings / hanging out late into the night when there is a class or test the next morning. But non-church kids do this too. Instead of a church meeting, it may be video games, partying, or whatever. A survey would reveal if the Xenos kids are worse off academically than their non-church counterparts. And if the results showed the Xenos students are performing poorly, I'm sure the issue would be addressed.
the one who is not lost

Ashburn, VA

#830 Jul 7, 2014
kim wrote:
Uhm. You have obviously never been there. First off, Xenos is the furthest thing from a Cult because they follow the teachings of Jesus Christ from the bible itself. Cult= following a living person (i.e Jim Jones, Manson etc.) and worshiping them as God. Xenos doesnt do that! They're the furthest thing from that! Ive been going there since 2003!
<quoted text>
I used to attend xenos....they are a cult....they are very judgemental and contradicting.....they will pull a verse from the bible ans twist it completely out of context.....

They brainwash people...tear them down

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muslims beat woman for wearing bikini French ou... 37 min They cannot kill ... 48
Poll Panty hose vs bare skin What is your preference? 9 hr Seriouslady 153
Pull your pants up. 9 hr Seriouslady 21
For Cat Lovers Only! 10 hr Doc 179
What does anyone know about a guy named Da'Wayn... 10 hr Pam 3
News Dive team wants to raise dam in effort to find ... 11 hr jesse 7
ayfkm? 12 hr cowboy heroes 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages