Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT!
plz

Columbus, OH

#792 Apr 4, 2014
Former Member wrote:
I can vouch to a lot of what is being said here regarding the control, gossip, manipulation, Etc. I was never an official leader, but I saw plenty. As I am no longer as young, it's easier to see it. When I was young and in the college group, I thought I was being spiritual. Now I see it was gossip, control, and manipulation. There is also a level of who you know as to how easy it is to become a leader or go on "mission" trips, etc. My experience with Xenos is far more recent, so their behavior has not changed much.
Could you provide some examples?
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#793 Apr 9, 2014
plz wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you provide some examples?
LOL. See step 1 above.
Christian

Columbus, OH

#794 Apr 14, 2014
Emily Fravel wrote:
Xenos most surely exhibits cult-like behavior and while you may not hear such things in a teaching, you can expect to hear a hatred of other faiths, though the biggie is Catholicism.
They do in fact recruit and segregate. They seek to control college aged students especially through their dating relationships. This "Kim" can try to deny it, but I've experienced it myself.
To "Concerned Parent" you are right to be concerned. Knowing What IS know about Xenos, They are already teaching your daughter how to debate your objections. Forbidding her is likely to push her further in. I would ask her to be very careful and to pay VERY close attention to how They talk about anyone who leaves. The Xenos way is to talk about how sinful that person was. There is gossip and rumors when someone leaves. They like to say that someone has walked away from God.
Dennis McCallum is only about two cars short of the crazy train. If you look it up more, you will see that he always places the blame on those who have spoken out against Xenos. You will not find a single instance of him apolgizing for pain experienced at Xenos.
Feel free "Concerned Parent" to contact me via facebook if you'd like to discuss this more. Mine is the profile with two little boys. I'm not afraid of fallout.
You are very funny , I go to vineyard , I go there (xenos) too. Same exact doctrine. Different way of running churches. Calling vineyard a major chruch over the WORLD a cult?
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#795 Apr 15, 2014
Christian,

Have no idea what you were trying to convey by the last sentance in your last post above. I attended both Xenos and then Vineyard and agree that basic doctrine is orthodox. But how do you explain The thousands of claims that "Xenos is a cult" since the 1970s and no such claims about Vineyard or other large evangelical churches over the same period of time by the same demographic of members? Is the explanation really just a "different way of running a church," as your post suggests? Your diagnosis lacks any explanatory power over the experiences of former members and leaders represented on this and other sites.

Now if you have something to say about the manipulation by leaders in home churches, by all means weigh in here with some current data. If you are a homegroup leader at Xenos (not possible as Xenos would never allow a leader to attend another church unless it was to do research on their faulty doctrine), then weigh in here. If you just attend Central teaching or The Xenos Smmer Institutes (as I do), then why are you leading this discussion away fron the source of cult-like complaints ( red herring). Which represents a culture of manipulation instantiated and maintained by Sr. Leadership that takes place at Homegroups and Ministry houses!

If you have seen Dennis get up at a Central teaching and say that his immaturity and fawning elders have created a seedbed for abuse for the past 40 yrs by all means share that info. Look at my previous post and you will see the 5step process Xenos has used since the 1980s to deflect these cult-like accusations. Give us something, anything with explanatory power.
Formerly attended Xenos

Miamisburg, OH

#796 Apr 17, 2014
I attended a Xenos 'college' homechurch, CT, cell group for nearly two years before recently discontinuing my attendance. There are good things to say about the church, but in the recent months they felt overshadowed by the negatives for me (many of which I just chose to ignore at first), which is why I chose to stop attending. I lived in a ministry house for about 6 months before I decided I couldn't live that lifestyle anymore. It was just too much for me to try to continue living that way, but hey maybe it works for a lot of people and that could be great for them. But if you are someone who use to attend Xenos (particularly the college group) and decided to leave, then I am with you.

-Anonymous 123
no thanks

Delaware, OH

#797 Apr 17, 2014
My son starting going there....He was told to go bars and wintess, really really, do you think you can talk to a drink? I don't won't my son in a bar....Can not believe a preacher told him this.....This world coming to a end..
cbus

Columbus, OH

#798 Apr 17, 2014
Formerly attended Xenos wrote:
I attended a Xenos 'college' homechurch, CT, cell group for nearly two years before recently discontinuing my attendance. There are good things to say about the church, but in the recent months they felt overshadowed by the negatives for me (many of which I just chose to ignore at first), which is why I chose to stop attending. I lived in a ministry house for about 6 months before I decided I couldn't live that lifestyle anymore. It was just too much for me to try to continue living that way, but hey maybe it works for a lot of people and that could be great for them. But if you are someone who use to attend Xenos (particularly the college group) and decided to leave, then I am with you.
-Anonymous 123
What was wrong with their ministry houses?
C George

Columbus, OH

#799 Apr 17, 2014
Formerly attended Xenos wrote:
-Anonymous 123
Of those who live in cell houses, how many actually graduate college? What are their GPA's?
anonymous

Delaware, OH

#800 Apr 25, 2014
Here is some useful information to consider when making your decision about Xenos.

http://www.redletterchristians.org/evangelica...
PT Barnum

Columbus, OH

#801 Apr 25, 2014
Jared

Sunbury, OH

#802 Apr 26, 2014
Xenos Christian Fellowship is not a cult. Regarding the first post, people who attend Central Teaching do not believe that the holocaust did not happen, it clearly did! All people are sinners, we are told so many times in the Bible. Those comments of a young child do not reflect the view of Bible Teaching church with over 5000 people involved. That is simply a young girl that said something wrong. Regarding other comments, there is something called church discipline. Matthew 18:15-20 (NET)
18:15 “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault when the two of you are alone. If he listens to you, you have regained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others with you, so that at the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. If he refuses to listen to the church, treat him like a Gentile or a tax collector. 18 “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven, and whatever you release on earth will have been released in heaven. 19 Again, I tell you the truth, if two of you on earth agree about whatever you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. 20 For where two or three are assembled in my name, I am there among them.” We are told to discipline those that need it. Those that are disciplined might accuse Xenos as a cult because they "pick and choose people to keep" or relating to dating relationships "said everything we were doing was wrong". If you are a believer in Jesus Christ and are a member of the body, having sex is a definite moral problem and contradiction of a representative of Christ.(2 Corinthians 5:20). I am not accusing anyone of claiming this as having sex with there significant other but this seems to be a common topic brought up among those disciplined. Some that have been disciplined might not realize that they were at fault but that is also something to be expected and something to be aware of. Now what dictates a cult? Obviously level of involvement right? People might say its creepy, the involvement of Christians in other Christians life. Koinonia. It is something practiced by Jesus and his disciples. It is greek for involvement. Over and over again in the Bible we are told to share each others burdens and to sharpen one another. Jesus and his disciples did exactly that. They had teachings and meetings at one another homes and they lived their lives in Christ with each-other. This is what Xenos does. Not to be taken out of context. As a bible studying and teaching church, the examples of Christ and the things we are told to do as part of the body, these are the things we try to do. We are told to try to follow the example of Jesus. Let it be known after all this is said, not every believer is perfect. NOBODY IS. There may be situations where an isolated situation where someone messes up. That being said it is not fair or right or just to judge and accuse a whole church for the wrong actions of one. If you find no answer in this post or don't believe this with the references of God's word, PLEASE go a see for yourself. Go to a teaching, listen to conversation, and make a decision for yourself. Analyze and find out the truth for yourself. I pray that anyone who reads this doesn't just take the word of the posts on any website but finds the truth for themselves. Xenos Christian Fellowship is not a cult. It is a bible studying and teaching church. Please visit.
REBECCA

Columbus, OH

#803 May 2, 2014
wmessenger wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no legal recourse. What is your harm? Don't allow your daughter to go there again.
Agreed. also, how old is your daughter? maybe it's possible she misunderstood what they were saying. If it were me, if I were that concerned, I would go and hear it for myself and then make a judgment. there are a lot of parameters that define an organization as a cult. by some people's limited definitions, Sam's Club or the public school system could be considered a cult .

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#804 May 2, 2014
Jared wrote:
Xenos Christian Fellowship is not a cult. Regarding the first post, people who attend Central Teaching do not believe that the holocaust did not happen, it clearly did! All people are sinners, we are told so many times in the Bible. Those comments of a young child do not reflect the view of Bible Teaching church with over 5000 people involved. That is simply a young girl that said something wrong. Regarding other comments, there is something called church discipline. Matthew 18:15-20 (NET)
18:15 “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault when the two of you are alone. If he listens to you, you have regained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others with you, so that at the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. If he refuses to listen to the church, treat him like a Gentile or a tax collector. 18 “I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven, and whatever you release on earth will have been released in heaven. 19 Again, I tell you the truth, if two of you on earth agree about whatever you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. 20 For where two or three are assembled in my name, I am there among them.” We are told to discipline those that need it. Those that are disciplined might accuse Xenos as a cult because they "pick and choose people to keep" or relating to dating relationships "said everything we were doing was wrong". If you are a believer in Jesus Christ and are a member of the body, having sex is a definite moral problem and contradiction of a representative of Christ.(2 Corinthians 5:20). I am not accusing anyone of claiming this as having sex with there significant other but this seems to be a common topic brought up among those disciplined. Some that have been disciplined might not realize that they were at fault but that is also something to be expected and something to be aware of. Now what dictates a cult? Obviously level of involvement right? People might say its creepy, the involvement of Christians in other Christians life. Koinonia. It is something practiced by Jesus and his disciples. It is greek for involvement. Over and over again in the Bible we are told to share each others burdens and to sharpen one another. Jesus and his disciples did exactly that. They had teachings and meetings at one another homes and they lived their lives in Christ with each-other. This is what Xenos does. Not to be taken out of context. As a bible studying and teaching church, the examples of Christ and the things we are told to do as part of the body, these are the things we try to do. We are told to try to follow the example of Jesus. Let it be known after all this is said, not every believer is perfect. NOBODY IS. There may be situations where an isolated situation where someone messes up. That being said it is not fair or right or just to judge and accuse a whole church for the wrong actions of one. If you find no answer in this post or don't believe this with the references of God's word, PLEASE go a see for yourself. Go to a teaching, listen to conversation, and make a decision for yourself. Analyze and find out the truth for yourself. I pray that anyone who reads this doesn't just take the word of the posts on any website but finds the truth for themselves. Xenos Christian Fellowship is not a cult. It is a bible studying and teaching church. Please visit.
No human, fallible man should be able to "discipline" another in the name of God. Besides which, have you people considered that marriage as we know it is a relatively modern development? So what about the days when people had sex before what we know as marriage? What about those folks? Were they sinners who were following the urge the Creator gave them to procreate? The same urge he gave all mammals, with or without a gold band, over thousands of years?
Anonymous

Grove City, OH

#805 May 4, 2014
My college age child has been in Xenos for two years and lives in a ministry house. This has been a very difficult time. Since joining Xenos my child lost their scholarship and has dropped out of college. From my point of view it is impossible to maintain the level of commitment required from Xenos and be engaged in a challenging major. I have met with leaders in the Xenos Church and attended at least 10 central teachings hoping to be able to understand what was happening in my child's life. I have never heard one message on how to live a balanced life as Christ wants Christians to live. We are required as Christians to support ourselves and yet keep Christ firstin our lives. I finally did meet with one brave leader in Xenos who told me I should pray for God to bring difficulty into child's life so they could see the truth about serving Christ but recognizing the need for education and family involvement. They also gave me hope that when my child left the college age group that adult life would require a more balanced life. God's word requires care for family and hard work in our careers, God just requires to be first. My fear is that my child will never get out of the college age group since they can't find the time to commit to their education.
Twin of Hal Lindsay

Columbus, OH

#806 May 4, 2014
Xenos Apologists- A Couple of questions.
STAFF MEMBERS AND HOUSE CHURCH LEADERS--THIS IS YOUR HOMEWORK
1) Why do all the young people of Xenos (and most of the older folks) have the exact same vernacular and vocal inflections as Dennis Macallum?
2) Do you think it troubling that Dennis only apologizes privately to people he slanders publicly?
3) Do you think it troubling that Dennis privately took his mother Martha out of leadership, yet never dealt publicly with the cult like control or manipulation that his mother exercised over "Martha's Girls."
4) Have you heard the circulated recordings of Xenos leaders meetings from 1993-1996 where Dennis goes on tirades about people leaving his church for the VIneyard, slandering the Vineyard as well as other Churches?
5) Why is Gary willing to play Good Cop to Dennis' Bad Cop
6) Ask Dennis about the Acronym TWD (toxic waste dump) which is what they labeled house churches that had too many hurting people.
7) Ask Dennis about "Putting People on the Back Burner" which is Dennis's vernacular for abandoning people who do not become Dennis clones after 6 months.
8) Ask Dennis about slandering leaders who had a guilty conscious about the behaviors of leaders on very exclusive leader retreats.(Ask J.B.)
9) Ask Dennis if their has EVER been a concern that sexual abuse at a house church that has been dealt with "in house" and not reported to the authorities.(report back his answer-- If he denies this I will offer more specifics"
(with that in mind, I might convert my leaders meetings tapes to MP3's and post links on this forums)
COME CLEAN AND REPENT PUBLICLY DENNIS, NOT JUST PARTIAL CONFESSION,
10) ASK THEM to repent of their former policy of telling students to go off anti-depressents that resulted in one or 2 suicides. I know that Dennis has changed his philosophy since then, but God would bless his humility if he would admit publicly how he led people astray.
11) For those who think Xenos does church better than anyone else... Do you think that this sort of exceptionallism might be the sin of pride and not a good thing.
For those who think this anonymous public rebuke is cowardly, Rest assured that Dennis and Co. have been confronted one on one, or 2-3 have confronted him. They merely slander those that have misgivings... This is the next level.
I look forward to Dennis being honest about the past and this thread on Topix fading into obscurity
alumni

Columbus, OH

#807 May 5, 2014
After lurking here for quite a while, just wanted to throw in my support for what UberGenius, Twin of Hal Lindsay, Former Member, and some other Xenos leavers are saying.

Tons of awesome people go Xenos, great solid bible teaching, but there is definitely plenty of dysfunction deeply ingrained and incorporated into the home group system / culture. More than just individuals making human mistakes. I was willing to roll with it for 10 years, but finally decided I did not want to be associated with it any longer.

- Not a disgruntled victim of church discipline with a bone to pick. An adult with healthy boundaries who was more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt for a long time.
Former Member

Howard, OH

#808 May 5, 2014
Twin of Hal! Wow. I can back you up on a few things, although not all. I was never a "leader" so I did not see those inner workings. I came close though. People do start talking like Dennis (or "The Pope" as he is fondly called.) In fact, it got so bad while I was there that they began to discourage it because it turned off visitors who had no idea what was being talked about. There was also things like WWDD (what would Dennis do)- instead of WWJD. As for Martha's Girls - yes. That's old school. I can attest she did disciple several young women at one point and I can totally believe she was controlling. I can't attest to her privately being removed. Putting people on the back burner also happens. Under the guise of they clearly aren't committing enough or fast enough so the focus needs to be on people who are. The rumor of some sort of sexual abuse happening has been around for years although I never had first hand info on it. Can't attest to suicides happening but I can to discouragement of medication in favor of prayer and Bible first and if those don't work then meds are ok. I'm also aware of Dennis not liking certain people and going after them. I'd love to hear your tapes. I bet those are rather interesting.
Former Member

Howard, OH

#809 May 5, 2014
Jared - a lot of us are speaking from first hand info. And are members or former members. Stop telling us to visit as if we have no clue what we are talking about. We have already established that Xenos agrees that the Holocaust happened. Most of is agree Xenos is not a cult but has cult like behavior in some cases and has some major controlling issues. Please do not justify it as "well we are all sinners so Oooops" as most members have.
Hal Lindsay Twin

Columbus, OH

#811 May 5, 2014
as for abuse... look towards calumet over a decade ago and home churches 1988-1993.
I want to hear of a current member/leader actually approaching Dennis on these issues.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#812 May 12, 2014
Twin of Hal Lindsay wrote:
Xenos Apologists- A Couple of questions.
STAFF MEMBERS AND HOUSE CHURCH LEADERS--THIS IS YOUR HOMEWORK
I look forward to Dennis being honest about the past and this thread on Topix fading into obscurity
Looks like we have testimony from someone who was a leader in the 1990s. Remember my earlier claim that unless you are a Home Group Leader you will not see most of the things that go on behind the scenes since the 1970s. However as a leader you can see Dennis McCallum's DNA being replicated and therefore will NOT accept alternative explanations for the bad behavior at Xenos (see my earlier post on the 5-step process for misleading members about cult-like manipulation).

One caviat, many of the members in the 1980s who became evangelical Christians at Xenos in would have never darkened the door of any church much less one with traditional liturgy. For these individuals Xenos became the sole lifeline to rescue them from the world. Dennis was always keen to recognize the differentiation and role Xenos played as an alternative to this segment of the lost. It has been core to his vision for over 40 years and he has delivered on that vision.

THe same could be said for Rod Parsley. Despite cult-like teaching of word faith and every message being about you giving Rod your money to prove one's faith in God. I know several people that would only go to a church with a bonafide (by which I actually mean fake)miracle worker who were saved and have entered into a lifelong relationship with Christ.

God seems to tolerate the Dennis McCallums and Rod Parsley's of the world in order that some might be saved.

However becoming saved is not really the point of church. Rather becoming Christ-like seems to be the point. Both Xenos and World Harvest seem suboptimal in the extreme on this latter point.

Über

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Religion in our schools..... 1 hr GrowUp 47
News Crime Stoppers | 'Halloween' mask part of late ... 2 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Can the Democrat Party Heal itself? Or... 3 hr Seriouslady 16
News Backyard chickens spur debate in central Ohio c... 3 hr Seriouslady 8
Pottery, er Potty Barn 3 hr They cannot kill ... 4
Recount Collapses 4 hr Truth Honesty Int... 23
News St. Xavier beats St. Ignatius in double OT for ... 5 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Trump endangers relations with China 5 hr GrowUp 57
Trump the Crook/Liar 10 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 215
God Help Us. Drumpf Is Clueless, And Impeachab... 16 hr Reality Speaks 84

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages