Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT!
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#688 Jan 28, 2014
Sue wrote:
I read on the Xenos web page that home church group leaders marry their members. How is this legally a marriage?
Sue,

In Ohio you have to have legally recognized clergy status. One must have ordination papers from a church recognized in Ohio. But that status can be granted by any church. Further, the fact that they are responsible for marriages and funeral suggests that there is a certain degree of autonomy in the home group rather than what passes for home groups at most nondenominational churches where pastor controls everything. It is a decentralized model. If only they were not so controlling and manipulative this church could have been one of the great ones.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#689 Jan 28, 2014
Former Xenos Member

Your post on legalism was spot on. See my first post 3 months ago for an analysis of this culture. There is some variance in the maturity of home group leaders but unfortunately Former's comment represent the norm. Only a handful of leaders ever seemed to break free of the culture of manipulation setup by Dennis and supported by Gary. It is unfortunate that leading by example and respecting the individual were not important. The home group model they have created is a great one. How they select leaders , based on conformity and there willingness to manipulate members to love and good deeds is their downfall. They have had this feedback since at least 1981! They continue to have it. They have become blind guides. It is not likely to change until new pastoral leadership demands emotional and spiritual maturity out of would-be homegroup leaders instead of sichophants with "what would Dennis do?" Wristbands.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#690 Jan 28, 2014
UberGoober wrote:
<quoted text>
Do churches, cell houses, and schools cost money? How are they going to pay for all this if there are members? Jesus led by example, he didn't try to tick his followers.
Churches cost like every other church in America. Home groups meet in houses owned or rented by members so no add'l cost here. Cell groups also meet in main church bldg or at homes, coffee shops, etc. same as evangelical churches. No add.l cost.

Obviously I agree with your trick his followers comment. As Peter instructs us:

2 shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight,[a] not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you;[b] not for shameful gain, but eagerly; 3 not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 5 Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 1 Peter 5:2-5

However ....handling of money is Exemplar at Xenos! We could point out ministries like TBN or Daystar, beeny Hinn, or Rod Parsley and World Harvest as having a worst practice regarding money and stewardship. So as to the misappropriationof money at Xenos, these arguments are red herrings. Let me quote from 1 Peter 5:15' "These are not the droids you are looking for."
Kudo

Columbus, OH

#691 Jan 28, 2014
Former Xenos Member wrote:
One of which was legalism. Our home church leader even passed out a single-spaced typed sheet of all the things we should be doing. Reading our Bible daily, praying, sharing our faith, etc. All in themselves are good things, but when it becomes an edict, it is rote and becomes legalism. I must say that I found an arrogance there when it came to the topic of legalism. Go to any Xenos home church and you will find alcohol. Not that this is a bad thing, but they think they are cool because they are so open minded and progressive. They are very legalistic in their non-legalism. This, in turn, caused problems with some of the members who were struggling with alcoholism. Of course, that was their personal problem and there was no reason why the home church should hold any responsibility in removing stumbling blocks.
Excellent post. I'm glad you and many others are revealing the truth regarding Xenos' operation. Curious, was there underage drinking at these cell houses?
Sue

Dahlonega, GA

#692 Jan 28, 2014
UberGenius wrote:
<quoted text>
Sue,
In Ohio you have to have legally recognized clergy status. One must have ordination papers from a church recognized in Ohio. But that status can be granted by any church. Further, the fact that they are responsible for marriages and funeral suggests that there is a certain degree of autonomy in the home group rather than what passes for home groups at most nondenominational churches where pastor controls everything. It is a decentralized model. If only they were not so controlling and manipulative this church could have been one of the great ones.
Just so I am reading this correctly, if a home group leader marries a couple then it is legal in the eyes of the law if those things are in place? Do you know if Xenos has legally recognized clergy status? Do all home group leaders have ordination papers?

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#693 Jan 28, 2014
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so I am reading this correctly, if a home group leader marries a couple then it is legal in the eyes of the law if those things are in place? Do you know if Xenos has legally recognized clergy status? Do all home group leaders have ordination papers?
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3101
Fishy

Columbus, OH

#694 Jan 28, 2014
Former Xenos Member wrote:
I cannot for sure say whether Xenos is a cult or not. I attended Xenos for 10 years, during which I was involvevd in a home church and was being "mentored". Let me start by saying that our home church was disbanded. The leaders showed a decided lack of love for those attending, and if anyone questioned, you were basically black balled. Our group had some serious issues.
Seriously? If members are not allowed to ask critical questions, there has to be something wrong with this church.
Sue

Dahlonega, GA

#695 Jan 29, 2014
-tip- wrote:
Thank you for providing the link.

I have been forced to become a quick study into the workings of this group. Any help is appreciated.
Springdale

Canal Winchester, OH

#696 Feb 2, 2014
Curious George wrote:
Who here donates money to Xenos? Have you seen an audited financial statement from that place? Where does the money go? Which individuals on their staff drive luxury cars and live in mansions?
Curious George, audited financial statements are made available to the public, all I e had to do is ask. Also, the salary of the staff is modest.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#697 Feb 4, 2014
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Yes. No, not all.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#698 Feb 4, 2014
Fishy wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? If members are not allowed to ask critical questions, there has to be something wrong with this church.
Yes manipulation and disrespect for the individual are wrong. And doubly so at a church. That said other churches don't even allow home churches! Or encourage participation of members. You are nothing more than a passive spectator. Most evangelical churches have a dictatorial rather than facilitative leader. Most don't evangelize, help the needy, have all the members participate in church budget review and approvals.

So yes there are things wrong at this and every other church. This Blog highlight people's negative experience at one church but a similar blog could be created for most churches and they would have different set of strengnths and weaknesses.
Fishy House

Columbus, OH

#699 Feb 6, 2014
UberGenius wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes manipulation and disrespect for the individual are wrong. And doubly so at a church. That said other churches don't even allow home churches! Or encourage participation of members. You are nothing more than a passive spectator. Most evangelical churches have a dictatorial rather than facilitative leader. Most don't evangelize, help the needy, have all the members participate in church budget review and approvals.
So yes there are things wrong at this and every other church. This Blog highlight people's negative experience at one church but a similar blog could be created for most churches and they would have different set of strengnths and weaknesses.
Can you give examples of the manipulation and disrespect that occurred.
Anon

Dublin, OH

#700 Feb 6, 2014
UberGenius wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'most don't help the needy' party was a low blow. I don't think I've ever been to any kind of a church of any persuasion that didn't have an established program to help the needy. You have a larger church and therefore perhaps the means to set up a medical clinic, but that doesn't mean that even the smallest of churches aren't helping as best they can.
Mike N

Columbus, OH

#701 Feb 12, 2014
Eric:

Regarding this Xenos-sponsored "Rock the House" event on February 22 that supposedly is to benefit "Youth for Christ's City Life Community Development"...what a scam! Read the fine print! "Proceeds will help complete renovations on a ministry house for young adult men committed to mentoring at-risk youth". The money will be poured into Xenos coffers to help maintain cult housing for these poor young men already captured by Xenos cult methodologies! Xenos may well pull some unsuspecting kids from the City Life centers into their "ministry" houses but what they are really about is setting up the people who think they are supporting Central Ohio Youth for Christ into helping to pay for these Xenos cult houses themselves! Youth for Christ in Central Ohio truly is now becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of Xenos, including paying for the housing of these immature, duped young men who have been convinced that they cannot follow Christ unless they live in Xenos housing. They will be tasked with "discipling" these other poor kids from City Life into Xenos cult methodologies! This is just plain deceit and wickedness but it is a win-win for Dennis McCallum. He siphons off Youth for Christ money to support his "church" while gaining Youth for Christ legitimacy in Central Ohio. Dennis McCallum and his minions know no shame. This should not be allowed to stand.

Mike
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#702 Feb 13, 2014
Fishy House wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give examples of the manipulation and disrespect that occurred.
Look back to my posts in Nov. and you will see a long list. At that time I said that I didn't know if Xenos had changed in the last 25 years and assumed the best. Unfortunately in December (2013) and January(2014) a friend who lived with me at a ministry house in the early-mid 1980s and the son of another friend left Xenos. Both were due to the manipulation that I sited. Namely, having 4-5 leaders (cell and homegroup) showup at your door if you missed two or three meetings in a month. Also my friend's son left because he was being asked to manipulate another student to choose OSU rather than a college out of time because Xenos was not located at that other college. This was not a suggestion. It was an order. When he told the Ministry House Leader (age 22) that he "didn't feel comfortable telling trying to convince his friend not to go to his first choice for a college" he was ostracized from the house and within a week told he had to leave the house. He, his dad, Ministry house leader, and home group leader got together and the home group leader seemed suspicious of the claim until the Ministry House leader admitted it. The HG leader told the MH leader to cease and desist but three weeks later the son told me that he was completely ostracized by the house and he moved out.
BTW if you have been in a homegroup for more than 6 months, or ministry house for more than 3 months, chances seem high that you would have experienced the types of manipulation shared on the previous 30+ pages of this blog.
For more details on various general approaches to manipulation I found an amusing BLOG
http://psychopathsandlove.com/covert-emotiona...
Also here are the traits of a number of people that I know that have survived Xenos for decades:
According to Simon,[Simon, George K (1996). In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People. ISBN 978-1935166306] manipulators exploit the following vulnerabilities that may exist in victims:
-naïveté- victim finds it too hard to accept the idea that some people are cunning, devious and ruthless or is "in denial" if he or she is being victimized.
-over-conscientiousness - victim is too willing to give manipulator the benefit of the doubt and see their side of things in which they blame the victim.
-low self-confidence - victim is self-doubting, lacking in confidence and assertiveness, likely to go on the defensive too easily.
-over-intellectualization - victim tries too hard to understand and believes the manipulator has some understandable reason to be hurtful.
-emotional dependency - victim has a submissive or dependent personality. The more emotionally dependent the victim is, the more vulnerable he or she is to being exploited and manipulated.
If you are a long-term Xenos member it seems highly likely that you need to take a long look at those around you and determine not if but how you have been manipulated and if you share any of the traits mention above.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#703 Feb 13, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'most don't help the needy' party was a low blow. I don't think I've ever been to any kind of a church of any persuasion that didn't have an established program to help the needy. You have a larger church and therefore perhaps the means to set up a medical clinic, but that doesn't mean that even the smallest of churches aren't helping as best they can.
Read my posts of the last four months and you will see that hasty generalizations are not my fallacy of choice. Barna, Gallop, Christianity Today have all done surveys on church budgets and the giving to needy and poor is less that 3% over the last 25 years in all surveys.

What does scripture call for? Well one could argue from Deut. 26:12 that it is one third of the Tithe. Also although I have heard dozens of teachings about tithing in my life and all quote Malachi 3 none of them ever mentioned that Malichi 3 was quoting Deut 26. None ever mentioned that since we are putting people under the law of the OT with the Tithe then we also have to put them under the law as to how it was budgeted to the extent that we are able ( there is not currently a temple but churches could be a substitute). Once we add in all the celebrations and feast for the community we might be as high as 50% going back into communities.

The passages don't say pay your pastors $100k+ in salary and benefits, build huge buildings that are mostly empty all week long (average is under 10% utilization) and then HELP THE BEST YOU CAN with whatever is left over. Don't even get me started on the fraud so prevalent in Pentecostal ministries of TBN, Daystar, Benny Hinn, Rod Parsley, etc.( a completely separate issue). I am talking about churches that are card-carrying members of the ECFA for 25+ years.

I will leave you with something a mentor told me 25 years ago. Your Pastor is a tutor and adviser but will not be standing within a 1000 miles of you when you give an account of your life to Jesus! And stewardship is on that performance review my friend. If your church only distributes 3% of the budget to the poor and needy and the Biblical standard is..33%(minimum)...off by an order of magnitude...Jesus is going to take one look at you and say "EPIC FAIL!"

P.S. I don't attend a large church. I do give 50% of my money to needy and 50% to missions impacting the needy in other countries as well as the majority of my ministry time is to prisoners or the poor
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#704 Feb 13, 2014
Mike N wrote:
Eric:
Regarding this Xenos-sponsored "Rock the House" event on February 22 that supposedly is to benefit "Youth for Christ's City Life Community Development"...what a scam!
Mike,

One hardly knows where to begin. Do you know what a red herring is? It is a way to get your opponents off the scent of what is wrong with your argument by leading them into an area where your argument is strong or at least away from your weakness. Xenos's inner-city CCLCD is administered by Scott Arnold not Dennis. Secondly, it is without reproach and managed by an oversight board outside of Xenos.

Your ignorance and attempts at conspiracy theory are hurting the legitimacy of those who have been profoundly hurt by the Xenos culture. Those in Xenos and thinking about joining are able to quickly discount your points and are tempted to make a hasty generalization that the other points about a culture of manipulation must be equally inept and exaggerated.

Better research will lead to better posts. If you have not been a member of Xenos, then by all means please do the due diligence.
Give

Columbus, OH

#705 Feb 13, 2014
UberGenius wrote:
<quoted text>
P.S. I don't attend a large church. I do give 50% of my money to needy and 50% to missions impacting the needy in other countries as well as the majority of my ministry time is to prisoners or the poor
Are missionaries livin it up? Do they live in well to do places in those countries they are a missionary?
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#706 Feb 15, 2014
Give wrote:
<quoted text>
Are missionaries livin it up? Do they live in well to do places in those countries they are a missionary?
LOL. Does your church budget biblically? Or are they like the ones mentioned in the survey? BTW my post clearly did not discriminate against funding missionaries. Since you can clearly understand that point then one must asked why you misstated what my post said?

So you extend my statement to the ridiculous (i.e. suggesting that I am arguing that missionaries live it up) and if readers buy your extension then they must reject my entire post.

Two options seem open to us: you are ignorant of logic, or you are knowledgeable about logic and think that the readers are not and so are gullible and easily manipulated.

I have no idea which of the two options you represent but would have expected you to reject my factual statements on surveys or at least represent how your church is significantly different than the ones described in my post and offer your own (albeit anecdotal) evidence.You could have also engaged my exegesis of the OT texts and suggested that these were not reasonable applications of same.

Since I support 2 missionaries currently (one for 20 years the other for 15) and have sent my own children to the mission field, and traveled for short term missions myself your point seems untenable. Better luck next time.
Anon

Dublin, OH

#707 Feb 15, 2014
UberGenius wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my posts of the last four months and you will see that hasty generalizations are not my fallacy of choice. Barna, Gallop, Christianity Today have all done surveys on church budgets and the giving to needy and poor is less that 3% over the last 25 years in all surveys.
What does scripture call for? Well one could argue from Deut. 26:12 that it is one third of the Tithe. Also although I have heard dozens of teachings about tithing in my life and all quote Malachi 3 none of them ever mentioned that Malichi 3 was quoting Deut 26. None ever mentioned that since we are putting people under the law of the OT with the Tithe then we also have to put them under the law as to how it was budgeted to the extent that we are able ( there is not currently a temple but churches could be a substitute). Once we add in all the celebrations and feast for the community we might be as high as 50% going back into communities.
The passages don't say pay your pastors $100k+ in salary and benefits, build huge buildings that are mostly empty all week long (average is under 10% utilization) and then HELP THE BEST YOU CAN with whatever is left over. Don't even get me started on the fraud so prevalent in Pentecostal ministries of TBN, Daystar, Benny Hinn, Rod Parsley, etc.( a completely separate issue). I am talking about churches that are card-carrying members of the ECFA for 25+ years.
I will leave you with something a mentor told me 25 years ago. Your Pastor is a tutor and adviser but will not be standing within a 1000 miles of you when you give an account of your life to Jesus! And stewardship is on that performance review my friend. If your church only distributes 3% of the budget to the poor and needy and the Biblical standard is..33%(minimum)...off by an order of magnitude...Jesus is going to take one look at you and say "EPIC FAIL!"
God protect us from religious zealots.

I merely commented that what you said about other churches not helping the needy was a low blow, and it was. I didn't comment on dollars, budgets, salaries, or Scripture quotes. Get your head balanced and stop attacking others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melissa Allen Lowes Easton 3 hr GlitterSucks_ 3
Good News for Glitter/Gokeefe (Mar '12) 3 hr GlitterSucks_ 26
News Justice Insider: Missing comma gives judges pause 4 hr Linda 1
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr WhackoBird 6,385
News Columbus police ask for public's help at Red, W... 5 hr Quiting My Job Do... 1
News Kasich Not Invited To Speak At Big Conservative... 5 hr SpaceBlues 189
Pensioners queue outside Greek banks amid withd... 5 hr free pIzza 4 U 16
Poll Panty hose vs bare skin What is your preference? 5 hr Catman Dave 74
Bumper Stickers 7 hr Cat D 52
dana turtle Sun tom 54
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages