Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT!
Anonymous

Cambridge, OH

#670 Dec 27, 2013
Money wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious, how much does Dennis make per year?
Dennis makes about 90,000 a year.
Xe no no

Columbus, OH

#671 Dec 27, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Dennis makes about 90,000 a year.
How do you know that? What is the value of his personal home? Are you Dennis or part of his followers?
Steph

Columbus, OH

#672 Dec 27, 2013
Brutus wrote:
<quoted text>
According to many of the posts here, they believe in manipulation. The leadership treats everyone like kids and tries to trick them. They also yell at them if they don't recruit more people (more people = more $).
Nobody gets yelled at "...if they don't recruit..."

Only a fool broadcasts his ignorance. It may sell to the kiddies and those with agendas, but your stench is palpable, even on the web.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Steph

Columbus, OH

#673 Dec 27, 2013
Xe no no wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know that? What is the value of his personal home? Are you Dennis or part of his followers?
Salaries of all Xenos staff are available to any Xenos contributor.

This is no World Harvest Church deal with pastors enriching themselves. You can probably do a search on the Franklin County Auditor's web site if you are so interested in the value of his home.

What is your full name? How much do you earn per year? How much is your house worth?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#674 Dec 30, 2013
Xe no no wrote:
<quoted text>
Followers? I don't follow Dennis, I follow Christ. I respect Dennis, but I do not "follow" him. My father works with him and they're good friends. He knows how much he makes. I've been to his house, it's actually very modest. He lives just south of Morse Rd near Brookhaven. Think what you want but you cant deny the facts.
Sonex

Columbus, OH

#675 Dec 30, 2013
Steph wrote:
<quoted text>
Salaries of all Xenos staff are available to any Xenos contributor.
This is no World Harvest Church deal with pastors enriching themselves. You can probably do a search on the Franklin County Auditor's web site if you are so interested in the value of his home.
What is your full name? How much do you earn per year? How much is your house worth?
No need to be immature about this. Who are you learning this immature behavior from? Who are you role models?
Anonymous

Hilliard, OH

#676 Jan 2, 2014
Question wrote:
Do they believe in baptism?
Yeah, they'll baptize you in a swimming pool in Gahanna if you want them to.
Not Bedazzled

Hilliard, OH

#677 Jan 2, 2014
The real question here is do you really believe that the tax-exempt leader of Xenos is not sitting on some serious money? Do you really believe that when you are manipulating person after person into Xenos, spending your own money to do so, taking attention and resources away from your own career and your own family to do so, that you are not seriously enriching the leader of Xenos? Really? There are many ways to HIDE money. Xenos has turned you into a manipulator. You have been scammed and conned. You have been turned into a religious predator in order to enrich a bigger religious predator. Open your eyes, think for yourself. If you want knowledge so badly, go to a real college and take a real class. From a seriously educated person, not some pseudo-intellectual who went to an unaccredited online bible school and whose only "skills" are manipulation and the ability to emote.
2 cents

Columbus, OH

#678 Jan 3, 2014
Not Bedazzled wrote:
The real question here is do you really believe that the tax-exempt leader of Xenos is not sitting on some serious money? Do you really believe that when you are manipulating person after person into Xenos, spending your own money to do so, taking attention and resources away from your own career and your own family to do so, that you are not seriously enriching the leader of Xenos? Really? There are many ways to HIDE money. Xenos has turned you into a manipulator. You have been scammed and conned. You have been turned into a religious predator in order to enrich a bigger religious predator. Open your eyes, think for yourself. If you want knowledge so badly, go to a real college and take a real class. From a seriously educated person, not some pseudo-intellectual who went to an unaccredited online bible school and whose only "skills" are manipulation and the ability to emote.
There is some truth to what you are saying. I'm not naming any specific churches, but many of the churches I have seen seem to have church leaders who are livin it up. They preach on the pulpit on how money is evil and it should be given to the church, yet they themselves have nice houses, expensive cars, and hidden assets. I'm not saying they shouldn't have all these but what I am saying that if preachers expect their congregations to give, they themselves need to be an example and sincerely give and live a modest lifestyle. Their lives should be transparent, there should be no hypocrisy. Lead by example, not by words alone! James 3:13 states, "13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."
Mike N

Columbus, OH

#679 Jan 14, 2014
Chris:

Thanks. Xenos is a cult and more clever than most. They have fooled a lot of Christians as they eat up their children. Martha McCallum, the mother of Dennis and his brothers, started this monstrosity over the objections of her Baptist minister husband who later called the Fish House (as Xenos was then known...they always used seeker-sensitive names and worldly methodologies like love-bombing with a Christian veneer to capture the curious) "the church of rebellion". As the Akron Beacon Journal photo essay reveals, this parent will only get her son back after Xenos has chewed him up, and taken from him whatever they can. That would include any orthodox Christian faith that relies on the living, returning Christ instead of Xenos cult methodologies. He will never quite measure up and will eventually fall off the cult/works treadmill. That is, unless they have somehow so corrupted him that he truly becomes the McCallum clone monster they want him to be. Then they will truly have lost their son.

Incidentally, Dennis told me last summer that his father, even in declining health, refuses to live with Dennis. The reason seems totally lost upon the self-absorbed Dennis McCallum.

Mike
UberGenius

Wapakoneta, OH

#680 Jan 17, 2014
Brutus wrote:
<quoted text>
According to many of the posts here, they believe in manipulation. The leadership treats everyone like kids and tries to trick them. They also yell at them if they don't recruit more people (more people = more $).
Et tu brute? You are correct sir, about the paternalistic culture at Xenos. However the overextension of this approach being motivated by money is both incorrect and enables xenoids to discount your earlier point. Their motivation is winning as many people to faith in Jesus as possible. If you had followed your first point with the incongruity of an "ends justifies the means" methodology for Christians since Jesus compelled but never manipulated individuals, you would have been spot on. Also Jesus differentiates himself from several so-called messianic figures (Muhammed for one) precisely by his profound respect for the individual.
Pam

Plain City, OH

#681 Jan 17, 2014
UberGenius wrote:
<quoted text>
Et tu brute? You are correct sir, about the paternalistic culture at Xenos. However the overextension of this approach being motivated by money is both incorrect and enables xenoids to discount your earlier point. Their motivation is winning as many people to faith in Jesus as possible. If you had followed your first point with the incongruity of an "ends justifies the means" methodology for Christians since Jesus compelled but never manipulated individuals, you would have been spot on. Also Jesus differentiates himself from several so-called messianic figures (Muhammed for one) precisely by his profound respect for the individual.
Brilliant post. I'm learning a lot from reading this thread.
abc

Columbus, OH

#682 Jan 17, 2014
Mike N wrote:
Chris:
Thanks. Xenos is a cult and more clever than most. They have fooled a lot of Christians as they eat up their children. Martha McCallum, the mother of Dennis and his brothers, started this monstrosity over the objections of her Baptist minister husband who later called the Fish House (as Xenos was then known...they always used seeker-sensitive names and worldly methodologies like love-bombing with a Christian veneer to capture the curious) "the church of rebellion". As the Akron Beacon Journal photo essay reveals, this parent will only get her son back after Xenos has chewed him up, and taken from him whatever they can. That would include any orthodox Christian faith that relies on the living, returning Christ instead of Xenos cult methodologies. He will never quite measure up and will eventually fall off the cult/works treadmill. That is, unless they have somehow so corrupted him that he truly becomes the McCallum clone monster they want him to be. Then they will truly have lost their son.
Incidentally, Dennis told me last summer that his father, even in declining health, refuses to live with Dennis. The reason seems totally lost upon the self-absorbed Dennis McCallum.
Mike
Were you a member of Xenos at some point? What have they done to you for you to talk so negatively about them?
UberGoober

Columbus, OH

#683 Jan 19, 2014
UberGenius wrote:
<quoted text>
Do churches, cell houses, and schools cost money? How are they going to pay for all this if there are members? Jesus led by example, he didn't try to tick his followers.
Former Xenos Member

Columbus, OH

#684 Jan 27, 2014
I cannot for sure say whether Xenos is a cult or not. I attended Xenos for 10 years, during which I was involvevd in a home church and was being "mentored". Let me start by saying that our home church was disbanded. The leaders showed a decided lack of love for those attending, and if anyone questioned, you were basically black balled. Our group had some serious issues.

One of which was legalism. Our home church leader even passed out a single-spaced typed sheet of all the things we should be doing. Reading our Bible daily, praying, sharing our faith, etc. All in themselves are good things, but when it becomes an edict, it is rote and becomes legalism. I must say that I found an arrogance there when it came to the topic of legalism. Go to any Xenos home church and you will find alcohol. Not that this is a bad thing, but they think they are cool because they are so open minded and progressive. They are very legalistic in their non-legalism. This, in turn, caused problems with some of the members who were struggling with alcoholism. Of course, that was their personal problem and there was no reason why the home church should hold any responsibility in removing stumbling blocks.

Another problem I encountered was a severe lack of love. Our group never formed what I would call a community. And the leaders, especially, were very judgmental and gossiped frequently about the people from the group. There was a huge push for outreach. I do know for a fact that if a home church did not produce the requisite number of new people (passed down from the two main pastors of the church), then that home church would be disbanded. This brought about tremendous pressure on the home church leaders, and in turn, severe frustration with the members of the home church.

The ultimate goal of most of the members is to climb into a place of leadership. The prerequisites include being on the fiscal support team (this means giving at least 10% of your income... and yes they collect your W-2) and "mentoring" someone. I was used by two individuals who were "mentoring" me (please note that I graduated college with a minor in Biblical Studies). The minute they turned in the paperwork that they were mentoring, I was cut loose.

I have heard several tales of the college ministry houses (houses where large numbers of students live together). The pressures they put on these kids is unbelieveable. They are expected to give large amounts of money, maintain their college studies, lead Bible studies, reach the requisite number of others for Christ, among other things. Anxiety is rampant, and suicides are not unheard of.

This was my personal experience. I'm not trying to bash anyone, just sharing what I know to be fact. Take it for what you will.
Linda

Columbus, OH

#685 Jan 27, 2014
Former Xenos Member wrote:
I cannot for sure say whether Xenos is a cult or not. I attended Xenos for 10 years, during which I was involvevd in a home church and was being "mentored". Let me start by saying that our home church was disbanded. The leaders showed a decided lack of love for those attending, and if anyone questioned, you were basically black balled. Our group had some serious issues.
One of which was legalism. Our home church leader even passed out a single-spaced typed sheet of all the things we should be doing. Reading our Bible daily, praying, sharing our faith, etc. All in themselves are good things, but when it becomes an edict, it is rote and becomes legalism. I must say that I found an arrogance there when it came to the topic of legalism. Go to any Xenos home church and you will find alcohol. Not that this is a bad thing, but they think they are cool because they are so open minded and progressive. They are very legalistic in their non-legalism. This, in turn, caused problems with some of the members who were struggling with alcoholism. Of course, that was their personal problem and there was no reason why the home church should hold any responsibility in removing stumbling blocks.
Another problem I encountered was a severe lack of love. Our group never formed what I would call a community. And the leaders, especially, were very judgmental and gossiped frequently about the people from the group. There was a huge push for outreach. I do know for a fact that if a home church did not produce the requisite number of new people (passed down from the two main pastors of the church), then that home church would be disbanded. This brought about tremendous pressure on the home church leaders, and in turn, severe frustration with the members of the home church.
The ultimate goal of most of the members is to climb into a place of leadership. The prerequisites include being on the fiscal support team (this means giving at least 10% of your income... and yes they collect your W-2) and "mentoring" someone. I was used by two individuals who were "mentoring" me (please note that I graduated college with a minor in Biblical Studies). The minute they turned in the paperwork that they were mentoring, I was cut loose.
I have heard several tales of the college ministry houses (houses where large numbers of students live together). The pressures they put on these kids is unbelieveable. They are expected to give large amounts of money, maintain their college studies, lead Bible studies, reach the requisite number of others for Christ, among other things. Anxiety is rampant, and suicides are not unheard of.
This was my personal experience. I'm not trying to bash anyone, just sharing what I know to be fact. Take it for what you will.
Thank you for a thoughtful and well written post on a sensitive subject.
Linda

Columbus, OH

#686 Jan 27, 2014
Pam wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant post. I'm learning a lot from reading this thread.
I agree, Pam. Many of these people posting on this thread are very intelligent, deep thinkers and write well.
Sue

Commerce, GA

#687 Jan 27, 2014
I read on the Xenos web page that home church group leaders marry their members. How is this legally a marriage?
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#688 Jan 28, 2014
Sue wrote:
I read on the Xenos web page that home church group leaders marry their members. How is this legally a marriage?
Sue,

In Ohio you have to have legally recognized clergy status. One must have ordination papers from a church recognized in Ohio. But that status can be granted by any church. Further, the fact that they are responsible for marriages and funeral suggests that there is a certain degree of autonomy in the home group rather than what passes for home groups at most nondenominational churches where pastor controls everything. It is a decentralized model. If only they were not so controlling and manipulative this church could have been one of the great ones.
UberGenius

Columbus, OH

#689 Jan 28, 2014
Former Xenos Member

Your post on legalism was spot on. See my first post 3 months ago for an analysis of this culture. There is some variance in the maturity of home group leaders but unfortunately Former's comment represent the norm. Only a handful of leaders ever seemed to break free of the culture of manipulation setup by Dennis and supported by Gary. It is unfortunate that leading by example and respecting the individual were not important. The home group model they have created is a great one. How they select leaders , based on conformity and there willingness to manipulate members to love and good deeds is their downfall. They have had this feedback since at least 1981! They continue to have it. They have become blind guides. It is not likely to change until new pastoral leadership demands emotional and spiritual maturity out of would-be homegroup leaders instead of sichophants with "what would Dennis do?" Wristbands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stupid is as stupid does 14 min Taylor 15
Can We Get a Refund onTrump ? 59 min DMoriaty 11
Congress 1 hr DMoriaty 11
Middle Class will now be paying for the wall. 1 hr DMoriaty 7
Government Waste from the GOP. 1 hr DMoriarty 12
She left the Tower! 1 hr DMoriarty 11
Coal States- keep that deadly Fuel out of Ohio 1 hr DMoriarty 15
Melania Human Rights Speech Left out Health Care 1 hr DMoriarty 15
Trump and Pence losing popularity 19 hr Thunder Paws 43
Worlds fastest growing religion is..... 21 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 246