Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

If you have no interest in this thread and/or you think people of faith are silly (or worse) save your comments and go troll somewhere else. I have no problem with those who want to constructively discuss whether Xenos is a "cult" or not. However, if you just want to make irrelevant, irritating useless comments go post somewhere else. Yes, I know you have the "right" to free speech and to be annoying but please find something better to do with your time.

If you want to bash Xenos make sure you do it constructively.
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

I guess I just wanted to chime in on this thread and say that Xenos is first and foremost not a cult, but is also not actively brainwashing anyone.

Do you know what the problem REALLY is?

Pride, haughtiness, and an 'our way or the highway' mentality.

The church struggles, and struggles a lot. Just like Peter and the apostles, the church has fallen into 'sin' in many, many areas. The church is criticized for being a cult simply because of this reason, they are prideful and arrogant thinking that the way they do church is the "correct and proper" way to do church. That is the product of a world that is fallen and broken beyond belief. Other churches are criticized in other ways because they operate differently. Xenos is trying to be faithful to the Bible... and this causes far too much pride. No one in that church actively "brainwashes" anyone; no, they just firmly hold to their way being the correct way and THAT is what causes younger believers in Christ to become prideful as well (and thus firmly hold to the same things causing them to speak out in ways unfounded by the pastors and leadership).

Cult is not a proper term. Brainwashing is not a proper criticism. Pride is the sin that so deeply entangles Xenos. But what does this prove? That the church is full of people who suck? That the church - by nature - is wrought with sin? That the people in the church are not perfect persons who lead a perfect church? Yes, that is exactly what it proves. And that is exactly why Jesus is necessary.

If you are looking for a perfect church, with perfect leadership, and perfectly free from sin members, you are looking for the church that God is going to lead in heaven. Other churches struggle in different areas because they operate differently. Xenos struggles with the pride of ministry because God IS - no matter what one says - drawing people to a love relationship to Himself through Xenos. People are coming to know the risen Christ in that church but, unfortunately, the universal church is being hurt in the process because Xenos criticizes every thing besides what it itself does.

You see, Xenos focuses so much on those who do not know Christ that their pride blinds them from loving, caring for, and leading as an example (1 Timothy 4:12) to those who believe in other churches. Thank God it seems like He is in the process of breaking down the pedestal of pride that Xenos thinks they stand on top of.

Not a cult. Not brainwashing. Just prideful, arrogant, bastards who deeply need the love of Christ to replenish the love they have for others besides themselves. Thankfully the Bible teaches that Jesus came to heal the sick, and not the healthy. They aren't healthy, and that is made more apparent due to the major influx of new Christians who are going out and sharing their faith. The Bible also says that "the sins of some are quite evident, going before them to judgment; for others, their sins follow after [death and judgment]." (1 Timothy 5:24). Xenos just happens to be a church whose sin is evident going before them to judgment.

Help them through criticism for we are called to "bear one another's burdens thus fulfilling the will of Christ." (Galatians 6:2
Former Member

Richfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Too bad Xenos is also too prideful to admit they are too prideful. Too bad that the people that critique them are treated like they are stupid sinners whose opinion is from the "evil one." Or that they are required to prove their opinion and story beyond any doubt while the Same is not required of Xenos. I do not attend a church. Not because I don't believe. Not because I am not walking with The Lord. But because I find the American church at large to be very prideful, arrogant, legalistic, and judgmental. I have no time in my life for that. Luckily the "church" as Christ calls it is people, and not a specific church such as Xenos.
Anonymous wrote:
I guess I just wanted to chime in on this thread and say that Xenos is first and foremost not a cult, but is also not actively brainwashing anyone.
The church struggles, and struggles a lot. Just like Peter and the apostles, the church has fallen into 'sin' in many, many areas. The church is criticized for being a cult simply because of this reason, they are prideful and arrogant thinking that the way they do church is the "correct and proper" way to do church. That is the product of a world that is fallen and broken beyond belief. Other churches are criticized in other ways because they operate differently. Xenos is trying to be faithful to the Bible... and this causes far too much pride. No one in that church actively "brainwashes" anyone; no, they just firmly hold to their way being the correct way and THAT is what causes younger believers in Christ to become prideful as well (and thus firmly hold to the same things causing them to speak out in ways unfounded by the pastors and leadership).
Cult is not a proper term. Brainwashing is not a proper criticism. Pride is the sin that so deeply entangles Xenos. But what does this prove? That the church is full of people who suck? That the church - by nature - is wrought with sin? That the people in the church are not perfect persons who lead a perfect church? Yes, that is exactly what it proves. And that is exactly why Jesus is necessary.
If you are looking for a perfect church, with perfect leadership, and perfectly free from sin members, you are looking for the church that God is going to lead in heaven. Other churches struggle in different areas because they operate differently. Xenos struggles with the pride of ministry because God IS - no matter what one says - drawing people to a love relationship to Himself through Xenos. People are coming to know the risen Christ in that church but, unfortunately, the universal church is being hurt in the process because Xenos criticizes every thing besides what it itself does.
You see, Xenos focuses so much on those who do not know Christ that their pride blinds them from loving, caring for, and leading as an example (1 Timothy 4:12) to those who believe in other churches. Thank God it seems like He is in the process of breaking down the pedestal of pride that Xenos thinks they stand on top of.
Not a cult. Not brainwashing. Just prideful, arrogant, bastards who deeply need the love of Christ to replenish the love they have for others besides themselves. Thankfully the Bible teaches that Jesus came to heal the sick, and not the healthy. They aren't healthy, and that is made more apparent due to the major influx of new Christians who are going out and sharing their faith. The Bible also says that "the sins of some are quite evident, going before them to judgment; for others, their sins follow after [death and judgment]." (1 Timothy 5:24). Xenos just happens to be a church whose sin is evident going before them to judgment.
Help them through criticism for we are called to "bear one another's burdens thus fulfilling the will of Christ." (Galatians 6:2
Anon

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

jrock wrote:
If you have no interest in this thread and/or you think people of faith are silly (or worse) save your comments and go troll somewhere else. I have no problem with those who want to constructively discuss whether Xenos is a "cult" or not. However, if you just want to make irrelevant, irritating useless comments go post somewhere else. Yes, I know you have the "right" to free speech and to be annoying but please find something better to do with your time.
If you want to bash Xenos make sure you do it constructively.
Or else what? This is not your venue and you can't tell others how to word their posts. A very insightful clue as to how you want to control others.
Former Member

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

At the very least it's shows some major arrogance.
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Or else what? This is not your venue and you can't tell others how to word their posts. A very insightful clue as to how you want to control others.
Jrock

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Or what else? Or you just look like somebody who has nothing contructive to say.
Jrock

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

"You see, Xenos focuses so much on those who do not know Christ that their pride blinds them from loving, caring for, and leading as an example (1 Timothy 4:12)"

I don't know who you are but I'm guessing your experience with the actual people in Xenos is limited. That is a completely false statement. It may be true for YOUR experience but not for mine. Not saying that there isn't truth to this but my guess is that your experience was limited to the college/post-college crowd (i.e. immature believers) and that you were not a long-time "member" of Xenos. Correct me if I'm wrong. Like I said, your statement is wholly untrue of my personal experience and I've been in Xenos for 25 years.
Jrock

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Former Member wrote:
At the very least it's shows some major arrogance. <quoted text>
Arrogance because I asked for constructive criticism, not just ignorant comments like "ya'll is whack"? Control? Please. Bring on the criticism, just make it factual and constructive, rather than bashing. That's all I ask.
Former Member

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

That's right - invalidate another persons opinion or thoughts because they are young. That's not prideful at all. Maybe you should read the first part of that verse before you pass judgement on the age of the poster in general or in Christ. Personally, I find that people with fresh eyes are amazingly insightful and can add a lot.
Jrock wrote:
"You see, Xenos focuses so much on those who do not know Christ that their pride blinds them from loving, caring for, and leading as an example (1 Timothy 4:12)"
I don't know who you are but I'm guessing your experience with the actual people in Xenos is limited. That is a completely false statement. It may be true for YOUR experience but not for mine. Not saying that there isn't truth to this but my guess is that your experience was limited to the college/post-college crowd (i.e. immature believers) and that you were not a long-time "member" of Xenos. Correct me if I'm wrong. Like I said, your statement is wholly untrue of my personal experience and I've been in Xenos for 25 years.
Former Member

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Arrogance because you have the nerve to discipline other peoples comments. Personally I think this is pretty whack. So far you have pretty much bashed, condescended to, etc anyone who says things against Xenos. You don't believe a word anyone says and invalidate them. And then, because someone has the common sense to see this is going NOWHERE you bash them too. They're right. This is whacked.
Jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
Arrogance because I asked for constructive criticism, not just ignorant comments like "ya'll is whack"? Control? Please. Bring on the criticism, just make it factual and constructive, rather than bashing. That's all I ask.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Former Member wrote:
Arrogance because you have the nerve to discipline other peoples comments. Personally I think this is pretty whack. So far you have pretty much bashed, condescended to, etc anyone who says things against Xenos. You don't believe a word anyone says and invalidate them. And then, because someone has the common sense to see this is going NOWHERE you bash them too. They're right. This is whacked. <quoted text>
Sigh. I never judged anybody or bashed anybody, I think you have me confused with somebody else. And if asking for trolls to quit making comments that are not paramount to the discussion "disciplining others" then I'm guilty.

My comment about the younger crowd is warranted. Can we learn from them? Yes. But go back and look at this thread. Most of the complaints were based on the high school and college-aged ministry in Xenos. Are the valuable? Sure. But they are immature and make mistakes. This is not isolated to Xenos. Kids, when in leadership positions, are more prone to mistakes than older, mature leaders. That just a fact.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Former Member wrote:
Too bad Xenos is also too prideful to admit they are too prideful. Too bad that the people that critique them are treated like they are stupid sinners whose opinion is from the "evil one." Or that they are required to prove their opinion and story beyond any doubt while the Same is not required of Xenos. I do not attend a church. Not because I don't believe. Not because I am not walking with The Lord. But because I find the American church at large to be very prideful, arrogant, legalistic, and judgmental. I have no time in my life for that. Luckily the "church" as Christ calls it is people, and not a specific church such as Xenos. <quoted text>
FYI, it's not that "Xenos" is prideful, it's that people are prideful. And all people, no matter what faith they have or what church they attend, have the ability to be prideful.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

I keep trying to remove this thread from my tracker but it keeps sending me messages. I'm sure that's disappointing for some of you.

It's relatively easy to argue about things and rap about stuff that is second-hand knowledge. Bottom line: as I've said, people are messed up, everywhere. Xenos, like all churches, is not perfect. But is is a cult? Nothing posted here has proved that. Does it have issues? Sure, all organizations that have 4000+ people have issues. And many people will tell you that mistakes have been made. What I don't see, for the MOST part, is most of you "former members" (and I challenge what you think is a "member"--not going a few times)having nothing nice to say about your experiences. But there is a lot of good that goes on in Xenos and whether you think so, or not, it's a biblically-based organization. Most have you have not mentioned all of the ministries that Xenos does to help others in the community. Check it out.

More than once I've suggested to those who really want to know what Xenos is about to just go and check it out. It might not be for you but you will see that allegations of being a cult are unfounded. Xenos is full of real, thinking, regular people who are just trying to find and follow God. Simple as that.

There are always nay-sayers. I realize that some of you have had negative experiences with Xenos. While that may be true it doesn't invalidate the many positive experiences others have had, which way outweigh the negatives. Yes, if there are problems with untruth, pride, control those things should be addressed.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
----------
Other than your third to last paragraph, which I already commented on, your assessment is reasonable. It would be interesting to see what you mean by "their way being the correct way." What "way" is that?

"Xenos is trying to be faithful to the Bible... and this causes far too much pride."

Are we not all called to be faithful to the Bible? Does being faithful to God's word cause one to be prideful? Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean here.
Anonymous

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Judged:

Obviously, "Jrock" is the paid apologist for Xenos. He can spout off all he wants, but there are still people walking around who have experienced personality changes and serious, life changing, over-reaching control as a result of their association with Xenos. And an even larger group of parents who wish that their children had never come into contact with Xenos, because they have been turned against their families. "Jrock" can pontificate and defend and proselytize all he wants, but you can't change those facts.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
Obviously, "Jrock" is the paid apologist for Xenos. He can spout off all he wants, but there are still people walking around who have experienced personality changes and serious, life changing, over-reaching control as a result of their association with Xenos. And an even larger group of parents who wish that their children had never come into contact with Xenos, because they have been turned against their families. "Jrock" can pontificate and defend and proselytize all he wants, but you can't change those facts.
Paid? Hardly. Apologist? No, just telling my side of the story.

Go back and read all of my posts. I have repeatedly said that Xenos is not perfect. No "church" is. People have made mistakes. And I've never been one to tow the party line. If you knew me and knew my experiences you'd know that I've always spoken my mind to those in Xenos who I've disagreed with many, many times.

There is much more good that has come out of Xenos than anything negative. I know that from 25 years of experience. I've seen good people doing good things. I've seen people whose lives were changed for the better because of the relationships they found in Xenos. I've seen people who truly care about others needs and about other people, rather than just themselves. That' MY experience, regardless of what others have to say.

A word to the wise: if you ever find a perfect church make sure you don't join it....because it won't be perfect any more.

BTW, Anon, Jesus said he "came to bring a sword, to set brother against brother, and family against family." Do you know what he meant?
Exhibit A

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Judged:

jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, Anon, Jesus said he "came to bring a sword, to set brother against brother, and family against family." Do you know what he meant?
Some loving approach that is.

/s
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
That the word 'sword' was actually changed over time because of a mistranslation and therefore the Bible can't possibly be the literal word of the Divine, without error?
Michael Green

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

To leave a comment to the first comment. I attend to Xenos and I've never heard those claims about the holocaust. It is a historical fact that the holocaust happened and with firm belief that Xenos will never preach that!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When Will Obama DIE? 36 min Get Gone 3
Where are all the original legacy posters? 1 hr Wait what 29
Debate: Ferguson - Columbus, OH 4 hr They cannot kill ... 66
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr Jerry K 30,231
ISIS beheads James Foley 5 hr Free Pizza 4 U 89
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 6 hr Neutral Party 3,113
Apartments in good neighborhood 6 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 8 hr Duke for Mayor 223

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000