|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

friend of the family wrote:
The young man named Kwesi Sample died with this group on Tuesday May 14, 2013. According to the detectives he was playing a game with 6 other members in the water when he lost his footing and was pulled under. This is certainly a Cult according to the following actions.
No one attempted to go out to him in the water to try to save him although there were 6 other people including his house leader in the water with him
No one with the group ever called his parents
The group would not speak to the grandmother who went down to North Carolina the day he disappeared
The Pastor (I use that word losely) has yet to contact the parents
None of the other kids showed any emotions (they're not allowed to show emotion) not even his so called girlfriend
And the worst thing of all
The group contained their retreat until Saturday May 18th
kwesi's body came ashore on Sunday May 19th
They might not be a Cult but they certainly are not good people.
Talk to your kids before they go off to college, this is where they are being recruited. These people are about to find out how much Kwesi was loved and cared for. <quoted text>
That is false.. People did try to help him. They stopped for risk of themselves. They then went straight to authorities in hopes of help. The church paid for his family to fly down to Holden during the search process.. And I don't know where you're getting your information on not showing emotion but there was over 1,200 members in a room in which half of them were crying our eyes out. Prayer sessions a d grief talks were held every night. The emotions are encouraged. Xenos even set up a donation system to help pay for the memorial, search, travel and whatever else was needed. The entire church was devastated. Please check your facts before you try to turn something heartbreaking and tragic against Xenos. Especially when your facts are so twisted and wrong.
Anon

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
Most Christians in Xenos don't drink to get drunk. It's not bad, according to scripture, to drink alcohol, unless you become intoxicated. Hell, Jesus even drank and went to parties.
Hell, even a little bit of alcohol plus youthful hormones = premarital sex. So offering alcohol to young adults at these functions and then making them feel bad because their hormones take over isn't weird to you?
christian

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell, even a little bit of alcohol plus youthful hormones = premarital sex. So offering alcohol to young adults at these functions and then making them feel bad because their hormones take over isn't weird to you?
Drinking can be enjoyable, but getting drunk comes down to choice. I've struggled with that for years, even before coming to the church. But, I will say that the accountability that many of my real friends, who are solid in doctrine of scripture, has saved me from many mistakes. Not only that, but I have found my mind transformed by scripture, not conformed to this world (which would glorify me ending up using a stranger as a drunken sexual escapade). There is nothing within Xenos that "tells someone who to date ir not". In fact, it's the opposite. We have no say in that. But, I have endeared the counsel of my close friends. Many warned me about some relationships, and by considering their input, it saved me from being another statistic of divorce. If I had pursued a relationship with someone who thought xenos was a cult rather than focusing on xenos being a highly disciplined church set on serving, then it would have been a disasterous divorce at that. All I know is that by God's grace, we are free to lay our lives down for the benefit of others. Some want to, some don't. But, I know that if that is what I want (to love and serve strangers, and my selfish heart be challenged), then I should pursue a relationship with a woman who wants the same. Otherwise, we both walk a different path and most definitely will be separated in this life. I say nothing of anyone's salvation, bit merely the difference of paths walked in this life. Salvation is between the individual and the Lord, and by Christ we are saved. I hope this testimony does not seem like an attack toward anyone. It is merely a statement of how the church has helped me focus on a life that is godly and fulfilling, though at many times it is difficult. I'm a sinner just like anyone else, but the Grace of God has changed my life and perspective eternally.

“The One! The Only! RUKiddingme”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey, Baby!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Feh, they're all a bunch of jagoffs.
Family Friend

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
That is false.. People did try to help him. They stopped for risk of themselves. They then went straight to authorities in hopes of help. The church paid for his family to fly down to Holden during the search process.. And I don't know where you're getting your information on not showing emotion but there was over 1,200 members in a room in which half of them were crying our eyes out. Prayer sessions a d grief talks were held every night. The emotions are encouraged. Xenos even set up a donation system to help pay for the memorial, search, travel and whatever else was needed. The entire church was devastated. Please check your facts before you try to turn something heartbreaking and tragic against Xenos. Especially when your facts are so twisted and wrong.
As it relates to finance, Xenos donated like everyone else who donated. They did not pay for the grandmother to fly down. She paid for that with her credit card. Divide the amount donated by 1,700 people and it is $7.64 per Xenos member. And that fact comes straight from the donation site set up by his family friend. The family is unaware of a separate donation site set up by Xenos. How is that for facts? Careful now.
Family Friend

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Divide by 1,200, it is $10.83 per member. No grandstanding allowed unless everyone else who donated gets to brag about their $10 too. And here is a HUGE fact. No dollar amount will bring their son back. I am certain his family would gladly send you back your donation in exchange for their son. So put it back in your pocket before it makes you look angry or self serving.
Worried

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

Judged:

Ron wrote:
What are the exact actions and instances that lead you to refer to Xenos as a cult? Open question to anyone.
I have a friend who is part of this group. The more he talks the more I'm sure they are a cult, or very cult like. They have 3 meetings a week and if you dont go to one you are made to feel bad. If you don't get a first shift job you are made to feel bad. If you go to date someone outside of the religion the "leaders or elders" will try and talk you out of it and keep harping on it. They encourage you to only live in their houses. They seperate you from everyone else. They hold "counseling sessions" for things they consider bad . Sex addiction if you've had sex with more than one person, being gay, etc... They are all for "curing" you. This is a dangerous religion!
Heidi

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2013

Judged:

I agree with WORRIED. My 22 year old daughter has been going to Xenos for 12 years. She lived in a college ministry house for 18 months and really got sick and tired of the hypocrisy. Her boyfriend was deemed "spiritually immature" and she was urged to break up with him. Getting counseled on sexual immorality by a housemate covered in hickeys. Sexual activity can get you kicked out of the house, the group and the church. It happened to her best friend. Any other sins just leads to being talked to - but this, according to the church, is apparently the WORST SIN EVER.(A woman in a group I belonged to was kicked out for having sex with her fiancÚ) yes, told she wasn't welcome anymore. My daughter got in trouble within her group for maintaining a friendship with her former roommate and close friend. She was told she needed to shun her friend. Exact words. Shun her friend. So my daughter moved out. Then HER spirituality was questioned and her boyfriend was told she was in a "bad place" and he should break up with her. He was also told by his discipler that he (the discipler) would speak to his mom about the situation. My daughters boyfriend is 24. It was so ridiculous so he moved out of his ministry house to get away from the hypocrisy. And my daughter started getting the "can we talk?" Texts from her leaders. She has ignored them and is breaking away from this group.

I was a member for a long time and I will tell you that a few years ago they were keeping count of how many new ppl a person was bringing to the home groups. In my group, a big whiteboard was set up and the leader went around the entire group, detailing who had brought new ppl in, how many times they came to meetings and who hadn't brought anyone, told to step up. If this isn't
Culty behavior, I don't know what is. No other church I've attended -UCC and Presbyterian - ever did such a thing.
tonyson

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous2 wrote:
I'd also like to mention that Xenos does plenty of church bashing as well. They can give it but they can't take it. Not to mention hypocritical. Claiming persecution when people challenge, question, or criticize is a method of control. Additionally, claiming persecution justifies choices without really having to think for yourself. Believe it or not, former members and other Christians' non positive opinions could help things change for the better. If a word they said was respected or listened too. Seems like current members only care to acknowledge other fellow members and others who are strictly positive.
Couldn't agree more! I had been going to Xenos off and on for the last 25 years and one of reasons I stopped going was the "other" church bashing going on at Xenos, especially from the leaders. Don't know how many times I've heard Dennis McCallum criticize other churches, but when it comes to him or Xenos being criticized, it's like it's the unpardonable sin. His hypocrisy just made me sick.
esperer

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

friend of the family wrote:
The young man named Kwesi Sample died with this group on Tuesday May 14, 2013. According to the detectives he was playing a game with 6 other members in the water when he lost his footing and was pulled under. This is certainly a Cult according to the following actions.
No one attempted to go out to him in the water to try to save him although there were 6 other people including his house leader in the water with him
No one with the group ever called his parents
The group would not speak to the grandmother who went down to North Carolina the day he disappeared
The Pastor (I use that word losely) has yet to contact the parents
None of the other kids showed any emotions (they're not allowed to show emotion) not even his so called girlfriend
And the worst thing of all
The group contained their retreat until Saturday May 18th
kwesi's body came ashore on Sunday May 19th
They might not be a Cult but they certainly are not good people.
Talk to your kids before they go off to college, this is where they are being recruited. These people are about to find out how much Kwesi was loved and cared for. <quoted text>
If you want to know what really happened, ask anyone who went on the Holden Beach trip and attended Kwezi's memorial. Everyone was sobbing. This was an awful tragedy that was impossible not to be upset over. I don't know what you heard, but so many people were emotionally affected by the death of Kwezi Sample and no one was stopped from displaying their emotions. I am sorry that you have such a skewed view of what occurred on this date. If you know anyone who attended the Holden Beach trip, please try to contact them and find out the real story.
Really

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

Do you people even know the definition of cult..? Xenos teaches the gospel. They teach the bible. How is that cult-like..?
Family Friend

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2013

Judged:

esperer wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to know what really happened, ask anyone who went on the Holden Beach trip and attended Kwezi's memorial. Everyone was sobbing. This was an awful tragedy that was impossible not to be upset over. I don't know what you heard, but so many people were emotionally affected by the death of Kwezi Sample and no one was stopped from displaying their emotions. I am sorry that you have such a skewed view of what occurred on this date. If you know anyone who attended the Holden Beach trip, please try to contact them and find out the real story.
Kwesi. And let's not victimize his brothers and sisters in Christ when back home waiting on his body to surface were his siblings, his parents, his aunts and uncles, niece and nephews, and an entire community while his grandmother sat patiently waiting on his body to surface. And their life stood still until his body surfaced and is forever changed. Holden Beach was not the only one with tears. No offense, but Kwesi (with and s) may have touched many of your lives, but none like his family. Don't be so defensive Christian brother/sister. Continue to pray that through grief counseling, and community support, his family will continue to heal.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

Too all who said there is no such thing as vocal persecution: https://twitter.com/allierhicks/status/356657...
Anonymous2

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2013

Judged:

Right, because what you are doing is perfectly innocent. Typical Xenos. Condemn anyone who shares an opinion of the church that isn't positive. I feel bad for the girl on Twitter. Shares her opinion on HER page and you put it all over the place and accuse her of persecution. Give me a break. Just another example of the abuse and control towards members but especially towards critics.
Anonymous wrote:
Too all who said there is no such thing as vocal persecution: https://twitter.com/allierhicks/status/356657...
Big Mama

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

This women is right, My child is now a member and I can't them to quit! They're behavior has changed (mean and cold toward our family)Says we a sinners.. If anyone can help me get my kid back. the now I try the worst it gets. I'm thinking about moving out of state. My child quit school, moved out and is completely brain washed. God isn't in this group of people.!!
Emily Fravel wrote:
Xenos most surely exhibits cult-like behavior and while you may not hear such things in a teaching, you can expect to hear a hatred of other faiths, though the biggie is Catholicism.
They do in fact recruit and segregate. They seek to control college aged students especially through their dating relationships. This "Kim" can try to deny it, but I've experienced it myself.
To "Concerned Parent" you are right to be concerned. Knowing What IS know about Xenos, They are already teaching your daughter how to debate your objections. Forbidding her is likely to push her further in. I would ask her to be very careful and to pay VERY close attention to how They talk about anyone who leaves. The Xenos way is to talk about how sinful that person was. There is gossip and rumors when someone leaves. They like to say that someone has walked away from God.
Dennis McCallum is only about two cars short of the crazy train. If you look it up more, you will see that he always places the blame on those who have spoken out against Xenos. You will not find a single instance of him apolgizing for pain experienced at Xenos.
Feel free "Concerned Parent" to contact me via facebook if you'd like to discuss this more. Mine is the profile with two little boys. I'm not afraid of fallout.
Questions

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Good evening,
I've been going to Xenos for a couple of months now, and am intrigued concerning your accusations of Xenos being a cult. As I'm currently going there now, I can say that If anything, I have to agree with an earlier poster who said that it's more like a Christian frat (clique might be a better word) than anything else. From what I've seen, I could see some things happening that Xenos is accused of, but as I haven't seen it myself and don't like to rely on hearsay, I'm not sure what to do (Definitely not "flirting for Jesus". I didn't think anyone does that anymore lol). I'm not sure if these accusations are just regarding a couple of house churches or if it's something subtle underneath the covers of the whole church in general, because I don't really see anything worrying in my house church right now. If anyone else has been going to Xenos, or has left, can you tell me your story, and specify what exactly turned you off?

P.S. I read a comment about someone at Xenos saying something along the lines of "The Holocaust never happened". I've never heard that, or anything along those lines from anyone in this group! How did that rumor get started?
not a cult member

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Eziekiel Yutzy wrote:
<quoted text>
So says the anti-Semite and extreme racist Enyzte Bob.
Your hatred of the Jews and your support for the child molester and pedophile Jerry Sandusky is well documented on this forum and you should craw back under a rock.
You are a sick and bizarre individual.
i love you
Former Member

Fredericktown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Concerned Parent wrote:
My daughter began attending Xenos Christian Fellowship in Columbus Ohio after one of her friends at school invited her. The church service was called a 'Central Teaching', & at this meeting the members taught my daughter that Jewish people are sinners & that the holocaust did not take place! I am extremely disgusted with what this so called Christian church is teaching to young people under the guise of being a bible centered church. I am seeking legal counsel to find out what legal recourse I have. Have any of you had anything like this occur? Please post if you know anything about this church.
Dear concerned parent, I was once a member of this group for nearly 2 years. Upon your initial visit with one of this "church's" many bible groups the members show you more love and acceptance than a young college student has ever felt before. That I think is what initially draws most of these college kids in like it did to me. However; the longer you are actively attending this church, the higher their expectations are of you. I think that this is okay to an extent because Christ teaches us that we should, but the way this group handled my situation and several others is completely wrong. They would tell me that I shouldn't go out of state for school to peruse my dreams because I had a role to play in the church, steered me away from living my dream of becoming a musician because "I wasn't going to glorify God" by doing that, tried to convince me to reduce my hours at work to devote more time to fellowship, sell my car to devote more money to the church, etc. as a young adult we all are interested in the dating world and gaining more and more experience until we eventually find someone we want to be with for the rest of our lives. I was dating a girl (not a member of the group) and after a period of time we began doing things that every 18-21 year old couples do. The church caught wind that we were being sexually intimate and brought this up to me. Over the course of time I began being more and more judged and shunned from the group until eventually they told me we were going to have a "meeting." At this meeting my group leader told the ENTIRE group about the situation. Not just the leaders, but the entire 30-35 college students that were in my specific bible study group. I was ostracized in front of every one of my peers. And like an episode of Survivor I was voted off the island. The leader asked the question "do you guys think he has truly repented of his sins?" And everybody but 2 people raised their hands no and I was asked to never contact of show up to the church again. The fact that I lost nearly 30 friends over something that they should have never involved themselves with is unbelievably cruel and messed with my head for a long time. I would never want somebody to go through the emotions and drama that I went through during that period. I find it ironic that a group who preaches love and compassion to be so judgemental toward a group member. This is a cult not a church. I want to help share my experience and spread concern about this group because it will take an emotional and physical toll on you because of the commitments they ask from you. Hopefully this information has helped you and if you have any questions I would be happy to answer. Thank you for sharing.
Questions

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

@ Former Member,
I never heard of stories like that, not only getting kicked out of home group, but having your 'dirty laundry' presented to everyone in the open. I'm sorry that your house church humiliated you like that.
Now that you mention it, they do have a tendency to persuade people to stay instate to work with the church. Not any church, but Xenos in particular. I'm a materials engineering major currently at OSU, and they tried to convince me to cut down my coursework so I can donate more time to the church. The fact that this happened during a point in time in my life where I was wondering what I was doing with my life didn't really help. I'm still not sure if Xenos is a cult, per se, but your story is starting to confirm some gut feelings I've had recently about things under the cover that need addressing.
Are there any other stories about Xenos that I should consider? I've heard stories about things going on in ministry houses that can be quite cultic in nature, but I don't know if they're true or not.
Been there

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

Judged:

We are a Catholic family and our oldest daughter was recruited to Xenos as a young teen several years ago. She was resisting going to mass at the time and a friend invited her to her home group. As previous posters mentioned, it was very friendly and fun for a few months, but then they started to criticize the way she dressed. That was followed by home group leaders explaining to her that "Catholics aren't spiritual; they don't know how to pray." She quit soon after that; it took less than 2 years for her to recognize how prejudiced and controlling they were.
And yes, the home group leaders were smoking at the meetings.
A warning to parents: Xenos recruits heavily in the suburban public schools. The motto in our house is , "Just say 'no' to Xenos!"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 481 - 500 of802
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

70 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
'Annie's Law' pushed to prevent DUIs 4 min d pantz 6
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 7 min Nickled Dimed 28,531
muslim brotherhood authorizes 'anal jihad' 24 min d pantz 4
Twilight Ride 50 min yeah baby yeah 2
Water to be cut off overnight Sunday 58 min yeah baby yeah 1
When will Obama be Arrested???? 1 hr Black Rhino 41
www . scammerslist . moreforum . com nigerian ... 2 hr John Kenney 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000