Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#476 May 28, 2013
Do you realize that saying its persecution when people disagree with your church is a bit cult like?Since when is disagreeing persecution?! None of us have experienced true persecution, so get over yourself. People have been killed, arrested, tortured, etc for their beliefs. That is persecution. People disagreeing on a blog is NOT.
Jen wrote:
If itís any encouragement, the early Christian church was called a cult! Ha, ha! Christians were thought to be atheists, cannibals, and incestuous (Jose Gonzalez The Story of Christianity pp.49-50). As Iíve dialogued with other church leaders, Iíve been astounded at how much this ďcultĒ label is being tossed around at good Christian churches all over the country. That is, I think other churches get this treatment, too. Even Baptist and Presbyterian churches are being called ďcultsĒ these days! I think itís part of the persecution that Christians are going to be continually getting in our post-Christian, secular culture.
The New Testament also predicted that we will undergo persecution from people in the world like this. These kind of accusations can be pretty intimidating, but I like to go back to some of the Scriptures that speak to this sort of thing:
(Jn. 15:18) If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you.
(2 Tim. 3:12) Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
(1 Pet. 2:12) Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.
(1 Pet. 2:15) For it is Godís will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
(1 Cor. 4:13) When we are slandered, we try to reconcile.
(1 Thess. 4:11Ė12) Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own businessÖ 12 so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.
(Col. 4:5) Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity.
Anyways, I hope all of this stuff helps, bro! Donít let this stuff get you down and distract you from getting your walk going with God. I know Iíve been really happy to see you getting your walk going with Christ, and itís been a HUGE encouragement to the whole group, too!
God bless,
James
--
James Rochford
www.evidenceunseen.com

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#477 May 28, 2013
This man was an adult and a self-admitted weak swimmer.
He alone is responsible for his decision to enter the ocean.

As someone who is familiar with the coast, let me reiterate to those of you heading to the beach for summer break:

Only strong swimmers should venture into the ocean past their knees.[re-read for clarity]

With regard to sandbars -- these continually shift and contain sudden, unseen and very unpredictable drop-offs. Further, without knowledge of the tides, one can easily find oneself cut-off from the shoreline.

No one is safe from the ocean currents on a sandbar.[re-read for clarity]
Anonymus

Grove City, OH

#479 May 28, 2013
-tip- wrote:
This man was an adult and a self-admitted weak swimmer.
He alone is responsible for his decision to enter the ocean.
As someone who is familiar with the coast, let me reiterate to those of you heading to the beach for summer break:
Only strong swimmers should venture into the ocean past their knees.[re-read for clarity]
With regard to sandbars -- these continually shift and contain sudden, unseen and very unpredictable drop-offs. Further, without knowledge of the tides, one can easily find oneself cut-off from the shoreline.
No one is safe from the ocean currents on a sandbar.[re-read for clarity]
I'd also like to mention people need to watch out for a rip current. They are more than strong enough to pull you away from a shore line.
Balanced report

New Albany, OH

#480 May 28, 2013
Family and friends of a 21-year-old man, who drowned on May 14 at an ocean-side church retreat, celebrated his life Tuesday.

Kwesi Sample drowned while swimming in an intracoastal waterway, between two islands, in Holden Beach, North Carolina, according to authorities.

He was one of 5,000 young adults on the church retreat.

Friends who were swimming with Sample before he died say they heard Sample call for help right before he disappeared under the surface. When they reached the area where he had been swimming, they were unable to find him.

Search and rescue crews, students, neighbors and family members searched the area for five days before Sample's body was recovered about a half mile from where he was last seen.

On Tuesday, family members received friends at the First Church of God at 3480 Refugee Road before a service celebrating his life.

"If there is any one thing Kwesi would want us to do this afternoon it would be to praise the God he loved so much," said Bishop Timothy Clarke, pastor of the First Church of God.

More than 500 people turned out to hear Bishop Clarke eulogize Sample and prod the young people in the crowd to be the person Sample was.

"Even though he was younger than me I looked up to him in so many ways, that is the dude I want to be like, because he loved people, he was so excited," said friend Sherman Henderson.

Friends said Sample had a megawatt smile and was a natural born leader.

"He knew what was important and it wasn't just that he knew that, it was he tried to live that out," said Chris Cooksui.

"He has impacted so many people, people are really drawn to him because he was very exciting very joyful, very forgiving and gentle," said Marianne McDaniels. McDaniels taught bible study with Sample.

Many of the young adults at Sample's service were with him at the beach in North Carolina and said they had time to mourn for him there. Instead of mourning, his family chose to celebrate his life including a message from his family.

"There are no words that can describe how much I will miss you beautiful smile, your giving spirit your ability to forgive anyone who has hurt you, I love you very much Nana."
Well Informed

Columbus, OH

#481 May 31, 2013
http://www.gty.org/resources/Sermons/1952

Satan attacks in many ways, especially his strongest opposition, so Xenos must be doing something right. These posts against Xenos are just an example. All we can do as believers is stand strong in our faith and rejoice with this kind of evidence.
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#482 May 31, 2013
That is bizarre.
Anonymus

Grove City, OH

#483 May 31, 2013
Well Informed wrote:
http://www.gty.org/resources/S ermons/1952
Satan attacks in many ways, especially his strongest opposition, so Xenos must be doing something right. These posts against Xenos are just an example. All we can do as believers is stand strong in our faith and rejoice with this kind of evidence.
Pretty sure people bashed Jonestown too
Ichthus

Columbus, OH

#484 Jun 1, 2013
Well Informed wrote:
This comment sounds like some of the extremist views you may encounter from Xenos. As you can see it turns into this "us versus them" view of the world. So often they block out valid criticism and helpful suggestions. I would say it sounds a little paranoid, but really it's sad.
Ichthus

Columbus, OH

#485 Jun 1, 2013
Well Informed wrote:
You see, this is how you lose a family member or friend to extremism. When they start reacting to a legitimate disagreement as though it were a satanic attack, they're already (psychologically) gone.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#486 Jun 2, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
It's absolutely sickening that some of you have the audacity to say that Xenos had something to do with Kwesi's death. He drowned in the Ocean and the church is suffering immensely. Instead of bitching about the church being a cult, why don't you go and check it out? Why is Xenos a "cult" when churches like World Harvest have twice as much people. The reasoning behind your claims are elementary and have no weight. Nobody fucking tells you to leave your family lol. If you want to commit to living for God then you have the option to do that. It's no different then the majority of parents shoving the idea of school and material success down your kids throat. Xenos is not a church where you go once a week and live as a hypocrite the rest of the week.
Nobody said Xenos killed Kwesi. One person said he was doing something dangerous with Xenos when he died. Swimming in the ocean near an inlet is dangerous. When the tide is changing inlets can become even more dangerous. Another person said Kwesi was an adult and responsible for his own actions. That is true but I wonder if a kid from the city knew how dangerous inlets can be. Xenos goes to Holden Beach every year. Its a shame they didn't tell him anything about how to safe in the ocean.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#487 Jun 2, 2013
Ichthus wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because someone disagrees with your church, that does not mean you're being persecuted. The Apostle Peter was crucified upside down, the Apostle Paul was beheaded, because they preached Christianity. That is persecution.
There is such a thing called vocal persecution... I've been called a "fucking idiot" by going to that "stupid cult" before.... I view that as persecution because Christianity is something that is a priority in my life and when someone is saying that it's invalid and uses shameful language is hurtful and shows signs of persecution...
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#488 Jun 2, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
There is such a thing called vocal persecution... I've been called a "fucking idiot" by going to that "stupid cult" before.... I view that as persecution because Christianity is something that is a priority in my life and when someone is saying that it's invalid and uses shameful language is hurtful and shows signs of persecution...
That was someone's opinion about your choice of church, and that someone probably uses profanity in their everyday life. It was not persecution against Christianity.
Jor

Columbus, OH

#489 Jun 2, 2013
Are Christians not suppose to use profanity?
Anonymous2

Bellville, OH

#490 Jun 6, 2013
Again, you're joking, right. You view it as persecution because it justifies your opinion. I don't go to Xenos and have had people call me names for standing up for women's rights. Doesn't mean I'm being persecuted. Get over yourself. Persecution isn't applicable when your feelings are hurt. Happens to millions of people every day, Christian or not.
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Anonymous2

Bellville, OH

#491 Jun 6, 2013
I'd also like to mention that Xenos does plenty of church bashing as well. They can give it but they can't take it. Not to mention hypocritical. Claiming persecution when people challenge, question, or criticize is a method of control. Additionally, claiming persecution justifies choices without really having to think for yourself. Believe it or not, former members and other Christians' non positive opinions could help things change for the better. If a word they said was respected or listened too. Seems like current members only care to acknowledge other fellow members and others who are strictly positive.
Skip

United States

#492 Jun 9, 2013
I agree, that would be kind of stupid. But every "Centrel Teaching" I've been to consists of a few short songs, a lecture, Q & A and prayer. Not what I'd compare to a Blue Jackets game.
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I just think it's stupid to go to a "church" that entertains you like you're at a Blue Jackets game.
But at the end of the day, any Christian faith is better than no faith at all.
Anonymus

Grove City, OH

#494 Jun 14, 2013
The more I think about what happens at Xenos, comparing them to a Sorrority / Fraternity group is perfect. They are more like that than what you expect from a church. That's not saying they are a cult or they don't talk about God (some Frat and Sorrority groups can be Christian based). They all volunteer, same age group, same types of recruitment, drink and party, have individual houses for group members, strong inner circle and have been around awhile.
Anonymus

Grove City, OH

#496 Jun 16, 2013
I disagree with promiscuity. They do try to "hook up" but premarital sex is a no-no. They are strict on that.
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#497 Jun 16, 2013
That may be what they teach, but supplying alcohol to young adults means they ain't walking the walk.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#499 Jun 20, 2013
Most Christians in Xenos don't drink to get drunk. It's not bad, according to scripture, to drink alcohol, unless you become intoxicated. Hell, Jesus even drank and went to parties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 8 min Duke for Mayor 4,990
OBAMMY GIVES US GAS FOR Under $ 2 A GALLON!! 55 min Undercover Brother 1
Who do you side with in New York and why? 1 hr d pantz 29
Thrift Stores High PRices 2 hr I Do Know 2
Divers search for vehicle in pond in Far East S... 3 hr Bump Thump Thump 1
Marriage Vows 4 hr wondering 12
rebecca wild 10 hr They cannot kill ... 7
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info