United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Thanks for the video proof of the emotionless zombie hordes at the "memorial service" for a young man killed by the dangerous behavior of the cult that took his life. His parents should sue the church for everything they have got.
Anonymous

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

And Jrock is back. How lovely. (Sarcasm)
Anonymous

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Regarding Kwesi- I heard from a Xenos member at the service at Holden that they had raised over ten grand for travel and funeral cost. I'm curious if the family received that money. As for taking responsibility, Xenos never will. I know of countless dangerous inappropriate things that go down on those beach trips and yet the church continues to go there. Now because of lack of responsibility on the church and on individuals parts, this kid is dead. It was only a matter of time. No wonder Xenos is all over the press "remembering Kwesi" and "supporting the family." Must CYA.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Anonymous wrote:
Regarding Kwesi- I heard from a Xenos member at the service at Holden that they had raised over ten grand for travel and funeral cost. I'm curious if the family received that money. As for taking responsibility, Xenos never will. I know of countless dangerous inappropriate things that go down on those beach trips and yet the church continues to go there. Now because of lack of responsibility on the church and on individuals parts, this kid is dead. It was only a matter of time. No wonder Xenos is all over the press "remembering Kwesi" and "supporting the family." Must CYA.
Clearly a tragedy.

And if they truly were not in contact with the family, they deserve condemnation for that.

I don't know if there was any irresponsibility on Xenos' part that led to the death, sometimes tragic things happen despite all best efforts.

However, as I looked through articles, it struck me that the name of Xenos was scarcely mentioned. Those interviewed used generic terms, "brother in Christ," church group, etc. It just struck me because I have encountered this behavior in others from Xenos. Introducing themselves in mixed groups of Christians they do not name their church association--calling themselves followers of Jesus or some other term. I have had members tell me that they deliberately avoid naming Xenos because of the "baggage" that it carries.

Just seems odd, particularly in light of the recurrent claims of cult-like behavior.
Anonymous

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly a tragedy.
And if they truly were not in contact with the family, they deserve condemnation for that.
I don't know if there was any irresponsibility on Xenos' part that led to the death, sometimes tragic things happen despite all best efforts.
However, as I looked through articles, it struck me that the name of Xenos was scarcely mentioned. Those interviewed used generic terms, "brother in Christ," church group, etc. It just struck me because I have encountered this behavior in others from Xenos. Introducing themselves in mixed groups of Christians they do not name their church association--calling themselves followers of Jesus or some other term. I have had members tell me that they deliberately avoid naming Xenos because of the "baggage" that it carries.
Just seems odd, particularly in light of the recurrent claims of cult-like behavior.
I would doubt that they have ignored the family. The press from that would be too problematic for them. What I would like to know is what the family thinks and feels. It seems to me Xenos has done a lot of commenting on this. Way more than the family. Why? Regarding responsibility, to some extent they are responsible. Year after year they take these kid-adults down there in the name of ministry. Despite there having been other close calls with kids in that group, rude parties, property destruction, etc they continue to take them. If I recall correctly, it's not atypical to take along "committed" high school seniors.
Anonymus

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

I thought it was cool that they paid tribute to him. My biggest problem with the church is the neighborhoods these kids are placed in.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I would doubt that they have ignored the family. The press from that would be too problematic for them. What I would like to know is what the family thinks and feels. It seems to me Xenos has done a lot of commenting on this. Way more than the family. Why? Regarding responsibility, to some extent they are responsible. Year after year they take these kid-adults down there in the name of ministry. Despite there having been other close calls with kids in that group, rude parties, property destruction, etc they continue to take them. If I recall correctly, it's not atypical to take along "committed" high school seniors.
I have been around some similar "fellowships." To my mind it adds up to to Christianity lite. If you can corral a whole lot of young folks, pump them up by telling them how special they are, throw a few prayers and praise songs over the whole thing then they can justify pushing the envelope on outrageous recreational behavior.

I believe that there is even some thinking behind it that it acts like a funnel. Bring a lot of these folks together with lightness and no commitment and then gradually push those who can be moved into more serious pursuits, and greater control. I think that is the Youth for Christ model and some others have used it as well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Anonymus wrote:
I thought it was cool that they paid tribute to him. My biggest problem with the church is the neighborhoods these kids are placed in.
What do you mean by that?
shaquessa

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
kim, that's a fairly simplistic defintion.
I don't know if Xenos is a cult or not--only that there have been various allegations of cult-like behavior (cell organization, recruiting from young people away from home for the first time, "love bombing," urging separation from family and friends "outside") over time.
I don't know that there are absolutes when it comes to cultic behavior, more of a sliding scale of indicators. Frequently there are persons who later report that the did things on the inside that only made sense within the context of the cultic group.
sounds like an Obama rally.
Tired of the Bickering

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

I thought I would toss this link into the mix. This is an video about Kwesi that has one of our Lead Pastors who was close to Kwesi talk a little about him http://www.nbc4i.com/video...
Also for anyone speculating on the state of our group after this tragedy and how people reacted to it or that we are "emotionless zombie hordes at the "memorial service" That is just cruel.
1700 of us gathered last Wednesday to talk about Kwesi and what had happened, several of his FAMILY MEMBERS were actually able to attend this service. During the service many people crying could be heard and people who had never even met Kwesi were brought to tears, and not just watery eyes, some men were bawling. It was a time of real sorrow. After the service a collection was taken up to be given to the family as means for their travel expenses and funeral costs and whatnot and $10,000 was raised from these poor college students.
On Wednesday this meeting is usually an exciting meeting talking about the Church and cool things that are going on, this year it celebrate a brother who had passed. I watched and participated as 1700 college students silently shuffled out as no one had words because there was nothing to say. We all hurt.
It caused many people to realize their own mortality. That they can die. Something that it takes a lot of teenagers/college students a long time to understand. A midst it all though many people who can on the trip started a relationship with Christ after seeing how quickly life can end which was an exciting and uplifting note on this trip.
Any of you that would like to cast blame and throw names at people have a real problem. Life happens, you don't think the people he was with are hurting enough?
Any of you that want to cast blame on Xenos as a whole, shame on you. No one can stop life from happening, and no matter the situation people make poor choices. Those students shouldn't have been swimming in that channel, but there weren't signs so how would they know? They grew up in ohio, you don't deal with many strong ocean currents here. It happens, one of them even went back to try and help him, but if you don't know what your doing that can be a dangerous endeavor.
Also if these kid's weren't in Xenos and going on a Church retreat with them what else might they be doing? My thoughts are most likely something worse and more dangerous
So please don't use this tragedy as some sort of way to through pot shots at a group of people you don't like. That's just a sad and messed up means to hurt people.
Anon

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

I am sick of hearing what Xenos thinks and how Xenos feels in the press and otherwise. They act like its their tragedy alone. Frankly, I think that's shameful. This kid had a family and friends, I am sure. It's nice they had a service and raised money. ANY church or worplace would do the same (Christian or not) so sorry but it ridiculous to pat yourselves on the back for that. Maybe Xenos should stop giving interveiws. As for these kids doing more dangerous things outside of the church, that's one thing. But please tell me the fact these kids were swimming in a dangerous area on a CHURCH retreat is not an example of doing less dangerous things while in church. Young kids do stupid things, yes. But I'm sorry. If Xenos took more responsibility for these kids and had a zero tolerance policy this would have been less likely to happen. Instead they're led by other foolish young adults. Plenty of bad behavior and dangerous behavior goes on in that church in Columbus and at Holden. I suspect the reason is lack of church responsibility and being led by other equally young and easily influenced kids. Stuff has gone on for years. And I'm sorry, but the excuse that we're mortal is just another line. Please tell me you're not suggesting that his death was positive because now these kids won't be irresponsible and because other kids joined up with the church. Lastly, no other mega churches in CBus have the reputation Xenos has. Not Rod Parselys church. Not Vineyard. Etc. If it was just an attack on churches, then those other mega churches would come up too. No one is denying the tragedy. But saying the church (mainly leadership- not all the people) issome innocent bustander is foolish. The wheels of the Xenos PR machine are actively moving. It's naive to think they aren't. Any group in this situation would do the same, but only Xenos seems to have the rep they do. I wouldn't be shocked if some of the elders have met with attorneys.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Seems like some of you just want to cause trouble or some of you have personal vendettas against Xenos. Some of you just put yourselves out there as know-it-alls, claiming "I heard" and "I read" and all kinds of third-party distorted comments. I know that many of you think you're intelligent but anybody who's making comments about things they heard second and third hand, well, your comments are useless. You sit there and bitch about things you heard and time and time again I've said "check it out for yourself." I know that all of you atheist antagonizers are just here to cause trouble. Get a life. The rest of you, if you are sincere in your comments, be honest with yourself and go and see. Some of you got some real nerve judging people when you don't know jack about what you're talking about. Those of you who don't believe in God I don't expect you to have any sense. But the rest of you, who may believe in God but go to a different church, you should temper your comments for the sake of God who likely doesn't appreciate your comments about his children and your brothers and sisters.

Those of you who just want to stir up trouble, you'll always be around. Too bad you find it so much fun. And for the guy who sarcastically said he was glad I'm back, I'm gone. I don't have time for this.

Those of you who have just an ounce of integrity why don't you get off your dead butts and go see what this cult is all about. Go see if it's really a "cult." I'll bet, by definition, you will find out it's not. And it's many things you think it isn't. Or, you can just continue to pontificate like some arrogant talking head and your followers can continue to give you "thumbs up" for things you say and can't even support.

I'm unchecking this to be removed from my tracker. To any of you who are sincere about finding truth, any truth, good luck to you. For the rest of you who just want to irritate, God can help you, too. Maybe you'll find him some day.
Anonymus

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by that?
I know where some of the group houses are located. They're not exactly safe neighborhoods. That's my only real concern. I don't think they're being brainwashed. I don't blame them for the kid dying. It was an accident from what I've read. However I do blame them for having their ministry houses in areas where high amounts of crime take place. I understand these kids can't afford expensive apartments, just don't put them in dangerous neighborhoods.
Anon

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

jrock wrote:
Seems like some of you just want to cause trouble or some of you have personal vendettas against Xenos. Some of you just put yourselves out there as know-it-alls, claiming "I heard" and "I read" and all kinds of third-party distorted comments. I know that many of you think you're intelligent but anybody who's making comments about things they heard second and third hand, well, your comments are useless. You sit there and bitch about things you heard and time and time again I've said "check it out for yourself." I know that all of you atheist antagonizers are just here to cause trouble. Get a life. The rest of you, if you are sincere in your comments, be honest with yourself and go and see. Some of you got some real nerve judging people when you don't know jack about what you're talking about. Those of you who don't believe in God I don't expect you to have any sense. But the rest of you, who may believe in God but go to a different church, you should temper your comments for the sake of God who likely doesn't appreciate your comments about his children and your brothers and sisters.
Those of you who just want to stir up trouble, you'll always be around. Too bad you find it so much fun. And for the guy who sarcastically said he was glad I'm back, I'm gone. I don't have time for this.
Those of you who have just an ounce of integrity why don't you get off your dead butts and go see what this cult is all about. Go see if it's really a "cult." I'll bet, by definition, you will find out it's not. And it's many things you think it isn't. Or, you can just continue to pontificate like some arrogant talking head and your followers can continue to give you "thumbs up" for things you say and can't even support.
I'm unchecking this to be removed from my tracker. To any of you who are sincere about finding truth, any truth, good luck to you. For the rest of you who just want to irritate, God can help you, too. Maybe you'll find him some day.
No prob, but do me a favor, would you? Please tell your mission-bound congregants to stop hassling the unemployed to help pay for their trip - despite the fact that the mission-goers have decent jobs themselves. I had a whole list of requests but this one bothers me the most.
Darren

Shelby, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

I went to Xenos for a few weeks. The girls there lure men in using a tactic called 'Flirting for Jesus'. Thats how i ended up there. Well, when iI finally realized that the girl had no interest in me and she told me she had done it before, I was pretty hurt and disgusted. No apology either...and yes they tried to talk me into leaving my family and friends too. It turned me off to Christianity, and now im no longer a believer.
Anonymus

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

What is "flirting for jesus?"
Darren

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

Flirting for Jesus is when a Christian girl uses flirting, sexual inuendo, and teases that they are interested in you...until they get close enough to you to start preaching in an attempt to convert you...then they tell you they are married, engaged or just want to be friends..only they STOP being your friend completely. In my case, I became suicidal, but im better now. And stronger for it.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Hightstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been around some similar "fellowships." To my mind it adds up to to Christianity lite. If you can corral a whole lot of young folks, pump them up by telling them how special they are, throw a few prayers and praise songs over the whole thing then they can justify pushing the envelope on outrageous recreational behavior.
I believe that there is even some thinking behind it that it acts like a funnel. Bring a lot of these folks together with lightness and no commitment and then gradually push those who can be moved into more serious pursuits, and greater control. I think that is the Youth for Christ model and some others have used it as well.
This is the basic recipe for any group with an agenda. Neo-nazis, terrorists, christian cults. So many kids are out there looking for a place to belong and unfortunately there are adults out there who are looking to cash in on that vulnerability.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 421 - 440 of766
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Lincoln shot 27 min BizzyBee 6
Casual Marijuana Use Linked To Brain Abnormali... 1 hr sidekick 9
Hillary's fate? 2 hr Scheherazade 7
Hillary For P R I S O N 2 hr Scheherazade 23
Obama 36% Approval In Minnesota Ha! 5 hr Dead Stripper Crashley 7
Good Riddance to Auntie Zeituni 6 hr Al Sharpasabowlingball 68
Dr. Ben Carson says IRS Targeted Him 7 hr nominated_1 8
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 10 hr magic man 1,915
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance