jrock

Columbus, OH

#393 Mar 13, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
My daughter was brainwashed by Xenos when she was a high school student, against the consent of her parents. She underwent a personality change, was trapped into a Xenos-encouraged marriage, and has never been the same since. She was completely turned against her family. Nothing can make this better, and I am not the only one with this story. Nothing anyone here can say, including the multiple Xenos apologists, can change this or make it better. And Xenos gets a tax-exemption while they are brainwashing other people's children. While they are exploiting the poor, the uneducated, and the emotionally needy--- for profit.
Brainwashing? That's a pretty harsh allegation. Can you tell us exactly how Xenos brainwashed your daughter? What things does she believe that you disagree with? Did you daughter draw her own conclusions or can't she think for herself? Can you please give specific examples how anybody at Xenos "exploited the poor, uneducated, and emotionally needy?" FYI, most of the people I've met at Xenos are neither poor nor uneducated. But I do agree many of us decided we have a need for the truth of the Bible in our lives. God says we are all "needy" in a way. I'm sure that is weird to some.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#394 Mar 13, 2013
jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, God has some funny rules, doesn't he? Far be it from anyone to actually speak what is in God's rule book. I mean, God didn't really expect us to follow His rules, right? I mean, shacking up is really not that large of a sin compared to other sins. Can't God cut us some slack now and then?
So does God call you on the phone and talk to you specifically, or are you relying on years of translations via different languages for books written by man that even after all the translations must be taken in YOUR literal way? And could you please explain to me why God decides which premature babies live and which die, particularly when both sets of parents come from the same deep abiding faith and pray their hearts out? Is one couple more blessed than the other?

The point is, you don't know. And nobody really knows, do they? Quit judging others in the name of God.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#395 Mar 13, 2013
And apparently - given many photos from certain Xenos groups as well as discussion above - God thinks alcohol consumption is A-OK. It is ridiculous to me that you commented about premarital sex but think it's just dandy to serve alcohol to young adults. Never mind that one often leads to the other.
Darlene Crowe

Reynoldsburg, OH

#396 Mar 20, 2013
I personally have attended Zenos and am very familiar with the teachings there as well and the "control factor" the church exibits. The "small groups" and "cell group" meetings are the enviornment where this control takes place. During these meetings of church members in groups in homes lead by "group leaders", people are encouraged to "open up" so to speak to the group leaders. Often alcohol is served, usually beer as a way to facilitate this "opening up" where people begin to talk about their personal lives. If for example the group leader does not think aomeone in the group should be dating a particular person then the leader along with others in the group will try to discourage the relationship. Certain people within the church are very quick to befriend new members and pry into their personal lives. I believe that this is a technique they use to control people which is a feature of cults. I have know at least three people who attended Zenos who left the church because of over involvement in their personal lives by members of the small groups they were a part of. Another method they use to control people is to shun them if they do not comply with severing a relationship with a friend or love interest that the group leader or small group members do not approve of. I have witnessed this personally.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#397 Mar 20, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
So does God call you on the phone and talk to you specifically, or are you relying on years of translations via different languages for books written by man that even after all the translations must be taken in YOUR literal way? And could you please explain to me why God decides which premature babies live and which die, particularly when both sets of parents come from the same deep abiding faith and pray their hearts out? Is one couple more blessed than the other?
The point is, you don't know. And nobody really knows, do they? Quit judging others in the name of God.
Wow, you tell me not to judge and then you turn right around and judge in your next posting. I stated that God doesn't approve of sex outside of marriage. You can call that "my literal translation" if you want but it's in every "translation" of God's word. It's funny how anybody who actually quotes the word of God or professes to actually understand something of God's character the first thing out of some peole's mouths is "stop judging." If "judging" means reading God's word and applying it aptly then call me guilty.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#398 Mar 20, 2013
Darlene Crowe wrote:
I personally have attended Zenos and am very familiar with the teachings there as well and the "control factor" the church exibits. The "small groups" and "cell group" meetings are the enviornment where this control takes place. During these meetings of church members in groups in homes lead by "group leaders", people are encouraged to "open up" so to speak to the group leaders. Often alcohol is served, usually beer as a way to facilitate this "opening up" where people begin to talk about their personal lives. If for example the group leader does not think aomeone in the group should be dating a particular person then the leader along with others in the group will try to discourage the relationship. Certain people within the church are very quick to befriend new members and pry into their personal lives. I believe that this is a technique they use to control people which is a feature of cults. I have know at least three people who attended Zenos who left the church because of over involvement in their personal lives by members of the small groups they were a part of. Another method they use to control people is to shun them if they do not comply with severing a relationship with a friend or love interest that the group leader or small group members do not approve of. I have witnessed this personally.
I'll bet you only attended Xenos once since you can't spell it. Once again, leaders do ask that people are "equally yoked." If you don't know what that is you can look it up. "Alcohol is served as a way of getting people to "open up?" " Really? Are you really going to make that claim? I'll bet I know exactly what you witnessed: some people who actually cared about a member telling them that their jerk boyfriend/girlfriend was bad for them and that pre-marital sex was not in God's plan. People usually leave the church because they are challenged to live God's way and they realize the can't go to the group and continue to live outside of God's will for them....so they make a choice. And some of them choose to continue in an unhealthy lifestyle rather than stay in the group. That happpens all of the time. Some people define being interested and caring for others "prying." So be it. And some others come to church but hide their personal lives because they know they aren't living for God.
Double standards

New Albany, OH

#399 Mar 20, 2013
jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet you only attended Xenos once since you can't spell it. Once again, leaders do ask that people are "equally yoked." If you don't know what that is you can look it up. "Alcohol is served as a way of getting people to "open up?" " Really? Are you really going to make that claim? I'll bet I know exactly what you witnessed: some people who actually cared about a member telling them that their jerk boyfriend/girlfriend was bad for them and that pre-marital sex was not in God's plan. People usually leave the church because they are challenged to live God's way and they realize the can't go to the group and continue to live outside of God's will for them....so they make a choice. And some of them choose to continue in an unhealthy lifestyle rather than stay in the group. That happpens all of the time. Some people define being interested and caring for others "prying." So be it. And some others come to church but hide their personal lives because they know they aren't living for God.
Any organization that stands for traditional values will be under attack for maintaining standards of any kind. Xenos members are asked for the commitment of participation that is far less than the commitment in high school sports like swimming for example with early morning workouts and extensive activity on weekends. If is it sports it is commitment, if it is Xenos it is a cult. Go figure.
Michael Thomas

Grove City, OH

#400 Mar 21, 2013
How is it "far less committment" if they live in house cells? That seems like a daily committment at the deepest level possible.

Since: Mar 13

Reynoldsburg, OH

#401 Mar 21, 2013
Michael Thomas wrote:
How is it "far less committment" if they live in house cells? That seems like a daily committment at t
the deepest level possible.
Just because someone has made a committment to join a small group or cell group does not give permission to the small group leaders and other group members to run the loves of it's members. They also do not have the right to emotionally abuse their fellow group members by ostracizing or shunning them if they choose of their own free will to continue in a relationship that the groups deems as somehow wrong or sexual in nature. While giving some well intented and sought after advice from a member who seeks it because he or she in struggling is one thing, however pressuring someone to act against his own concience or go against what should ultimately be between him and God is wrong. This is a control technique often used by cults and it is not becoming of a Christian, The best thing that a group leader can do for someone is to offer kind Christian council,(if it is asked for) and pray that the person will be guided by God in all his decisions and in his or her own time do what is right under the circumstances.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#402 Mar 22, 2013
Darlene Crowe wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because someone has made a committment to join a small group or cell group does not give permission to the small group leaders and other group members to run the loves of it's members. They also do not have the right to emotionally abuse their fellow group members by ostracizing or shunning them if they choose of their own free will to continue in a relationship that the groups deems as somehow wrong or sexual in nature. While giving some well intented and sought after advice from a member who seeks it because he or she in struggling is one thing, however pressuring someone to act against his own concience or go against what should ultimately be between him and God is wrong. This is a control technique often used by cults and it is not becoming of a Christian, The best thing that a group leader can do for someone is to offer kind Christian council,(if it is asked for) and pray that the person will be guided by God in all his decisions and in his or her own time do what is right under the circumstances.
So, if I see a fellow Christian falling into some sin such as pre-marital sex I shouldn't say anything unless they ask for it? That goes against so many teachings in the bible and is downright unchristian. I should be willing to get involved in their life and speak truth in these areas. Saying nothing is in essence saying I don't love that person.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#403 Mar 25, 2013
Wait what wrote:
And apparently - given many photos from certain Xenos groups as well as discussion above - God thinks alcohol consumption is A-OK. It is ridiculous to me that you commented about premarital sex but think it's just dandy to serve alcohol to young adults. Never mind that one often leads to the other.
It never says that drinking is bad... After all, Jesus drank too. However, getting DRUNK is sinful just like premarital sex... Check your scripture man
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#404 Mar 25, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
It never says that drinking is bad... After all, Jesus drank too. However, getting DRUNK is sinful just like premarital sex... Check your scripture man
As a young person (or not), a little bit of alcohol - no need to be drunk - can enhance your desire for sex. Check your common sense, man.
Sam

Columbus, OH

#405 Mar 28, 2013
My good [intelligent] friend, he got absorbed into that shit. When I moved to Cbus, I would go to services with him every couple months, just to make sure he wasn't drinking koolade. He got close with Main Dude and I accompanied them to the 'afterglow.' Well, after a case of beer and everyone had filed out, I had a long heated conversation with the pastor and his wife in their living room, my friend just sat there. I haven't spoken with him since. Bed-bugs and predatory bullshit apologetic illogical cult. Tell me again why you DIDN'T jump off that bridge. JESUS.
Sam

Columbus, OH

#406 Mar 28, 2013
and don't forget your 70's bullshit. ur clan had a gay baby and u ousted a family. Luv u PAM.
Anonymous

Westerville, OH

#407 Apr 1, 2013
Anytime anyone comes out and says something against Xenos, when parent after parent complains that his or her minor child was brainwashed, underwent a radical personality change and turned against his family, the big apologist guns come out, and try to smooth over the truth. These are the same kinds of people who defend other religious predators like pedophile priests. Disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself. If you're defending this mind control bible cult that preys on the minds of underage children, you're nothing but a religous predator yourself. Shame. How many little kids did YOU recruit when YOU were standing on the street corner preaching? Shame.
Ann

Westerville, OH

#408 Apr 1, 2013
I just saw this post. I am a mother with 4 daughters. I went to Xenos for 10 years and was involved with one home group for 6 years, then just attended teachings for a few years before joining another home group for 4 months. I am 50 years old. My husband did not go to Xenos. This was my experience. I learned alot. I learned about God, the Bible, how to have a relationship with God. I grew so much in knowledge. It is great for that - as long as you don't get too into it. I saw home group leaders threaten to get members kids taken away. A woman was kicked out of the group for having premarital sex with her fiancée. A woman with mental issues who was very needy was kicked out of the group. Alcohol flowed like water at home group meetings - despite at least one person being in AA. No non alcoholic beverages were provided. People who quit are talked about and shunned. With 3 of my girls: 1 is involved in a college group. She loves it. The other 2 both HATE Xenos. Both quit going in high school. The ppl involved are very 2 faced. They encourage the kids to bring friends. They let the kids smoke cigarettes and weed. They discourage dating and any form of sex - yet turn away when some kids openly make out and hang all over each other. They will tell your kids to push their views to win over new converts- to Muslims and non believers. One high school leader told my daughter she wasn't doing enough evangelism and outreach, questioning why she didnt bring a Muslim friend with her to a meeting. The kids who are heavily involved and adults will say these things are not true - but they are. I finally quit Xenos because I wanted my 4th daughter to get out before she, too, hated church. In conclusion I will say this: Xenos is not a cult. They are a very fundamentalist bible based church. But if you voice any concerns about what your kid is told, then be prepared for the leaders to push your kid to stand up for their beliefs. My kids and I are close and we kept an open dialogue. It's a great place to learn and grow spiritually but if their beliefs contradict yours - be prepared for problems.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#409 Apr 1, 2013
Ann wrote:
I just saw this post. I am a mother with 4 daughters. I went to Xenos for 10 years and was involved with one home group for 6 years, then just attended teachings for a few years before joining another home group for 4 months. I am 50 years old. My husband did not go to Xenos. This was my experience. I learned alot. I learned about God, the Bible, how to have a relationship with God. I grew so much in knowledge. It is great for that - as long as you don't get too into it. I saw home group leaders threaten to get members kids taken away. A woman was kicked out of the group for having premarital sex with her fiancée. A woman with mental issues who was very needy was kicked out of the group. Alcohol flowed like water at home group meetings - despite at least one person being in AA. No non alcoholic beverages were provided. People who quit are talked about and shunned. With 3 of my girls: 1 is involved in a college group. She loves it. The other 2 both HATE Xenos. Both quit going in high school. The ppl involved are very 2 faced. They encourage the kids to bring friends. They let the kids smoke cigarettes and weed. They discourage dating and any form of sex - yet turn away when some kids openly make out and hang all over each other. They will tell your kids to push their views to win over new converts- to Muslims and non believers. One high school leader told my daughter she wasn't doing enough evangelism and outreach, questioning why she didnt bring a Muslim friend with her to a meeting. The kids who are heavily involved and adults will say these things are not true - but they are. I finally quit Xenos because I wanted my 4th daughter to get out before she, too, hated church. In conclusion I will say this: Xenos is not a cult. They are a very fundamentalist bible based church. But if you voice any concerns about what your kid is told, then be prepared for the leaders to push your kid to stand up for their beliefs. My kids and I are close and we kept an open dialogue. It's a great place to learn and grow spiritually but if their beliefs contradict yours - be prepared for problems.
No group promoting alcohol and/or illegal drugs could be considered "very fundamentalist bible based."

Just saying.
Ann

Westerville, OH

#410 Apr 2, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
No group promoting alcohol and/or illegal drugs could be considered "very fundamentalist bible based."
Just saying.
That may be true in your view - but Jesus did not prohibit drinking and alcohol is mentioned in the bible many times. What IS discouraged is drunkeness. Xenos does not promote that either.
Ann

Westerville, OH

#411 Apr 2, 2013
In my opinion, after being involved in the church for so many years, the people really do love God and genuinely want to spread the Word. I really do like the teachings and continue to listen to them online despite not attending anymore. I do not agree with their approach to children nor do I agree with butting in to peoples lives and essentially saying "it's Gods way or get out of this group". People struggle with so many issues and sometimes those struggles take years to resolve. I think ppl should be encouraging and not quit on others by kicking them out of a group.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#412 Apr 2, 2013
Ann wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be true in your view - but Jesus did not prohibit drinking and alcohol is mentioned in the bible many times. What IS discouraged is drunkeness. Xenos does not promote that either.
The Bible does not prohibit alcohol, but "very fundamentalist bible based" organizations do.
Xenos is by no means a "fundamentalist bible based" organization.
I have found its members to be doctrinally illiterate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 10 min Iluvwho 2,473
Dewine putting campaign cash in own account! 10 min Male 6
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 18 min Anonymous of Indy 3,954
Ebolapalooza 53 min hey Chocolate Jimmie 6
T r a m a d o l & X A N A X and much more 1 hr BizzyBee 5
EBOLA: American Outbreak 1 hr NASHVILLE STAR 35
Obama, 'No Force On Earth Can Stop Us' 3 hr ebolas number 1 fan 6
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance