|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>You are one silly, stupid SOB when it comes to Islam, dhimmi.
You Catholics don't have a murder, torture free past so you're just flinging stones from your glass house.

Oh, and your folks had the chance more than once to conquer them. That never went so well.
Anonymous

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

This topic has become even more disgusting than it was in the beginning. I didn't think that was possible.
Logic

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Wow, I know some Xenoids and they definetly exhibit cult like behavior. Every chance they get they are trying to bring people into the cult. I love them nonetheless but I feel bad for them that they need to rely on this social structure which for obvious reasons is archaic and detrimental to a moden society. If you feel human sacrifice, talking snakes and your God flooding the Earth killing millions is love, then you are obviously not contributing anything positive to society.
Scott Risley

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Hello "Logic"

Why is inviting people out to a bible study cultlike? This is what Jesus told his followers to do and what everyone in the early church did (Matt 28:18-20; 2 Cor 5:11).

Also, Jesus believed in the flood (Matt 24:37-39). His apostles Paul and John believed that Satan took the form of a serpent in Genesis 3 (see 2 Cor 11:3; Rev 12:9). So that doesn't sound very cult-like either.

You are presenting such a small slice of the Biblical worldview that of course it sounds awful when you put it that way. The parts you are presenting are part of a much larger story that only make sense when the whole thing is presented. That's like presenting one sentence out of a book (out of context) and trying to characterize the whole thing.
Logic wrote:
Wow, I know some Xenoids and they definetly exhibit cult like behavior. Every chance they get they are trying to bring people into the cult. I love them nonetheless but I feel bad for them that they need to rely on this social structure which for obvious reasons is archaic and detrimental to a moden society. If you feel human sacrifice, talking snakes and your God flooding the Earth killing millions is love, then you are obviously not contributing anything positive to society.
Andrew Littler

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Dear Lady, I am a member of Xenos, and I have to tell you, you are speaking malicious lies, no where in the bible does it say that Jews are sinners or mentions the holocaust, now in the bible they even rank Jews in the same place as gentiles because they have a strong worship in god, if you do not believe me, I will further educate you on the formation of Xenos
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Anonymous wrote:
The two men who run Xenos have degrees from Ashland Theological Seminary, an institution where people can get ONLINE Bible "degrees". It is not an accredited school.
Nothing personal, but your comment is totally irrelevant. Those two "people" got their degrees there before the internet existed. I suggest you do a little more research before you throw stones. Also, you might want to actually meet those "two people" so you can know how much they know about God's word and how educated they really are, vs. your perception of them.
Anonymous

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Has there ever been an article from a news source written about them? I've seen links to a "rifqa berry" and other sites talking about this place in a not very positive light.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Anonymous wrote:
Has there ever been an article from a news source written about them? I've seen links to a "rifqa berry" and other sites talking about this place in a not very positive light.
I'm not certain that the Rifqa Bary link was ever established. It would appear that she did hook up with some campus ministry with possibly similar recruiting methods. I think that perhaps someone leaped to the conclusion (in print) that this must have been Xenos. However, the guy who drove her from Kansas City to pick her up and drive her to the bus station was connected to International House of Prayer--as was one of the Florida pastor's children.

Not claiming Xenos is a cult, but just again, raising the issue of possible risk factors. The lack of connection to any other religious bodies, possibly reflected in the lack of any objective or other sources providing information, suggests the possibility of an isolation that can breed cult-like behaviors.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

that should be drove HERE from Kansas City to pick HER up.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
that should be drove HERE from Kansas City to pick HER up.
FKA,I gotta ask you again: have you ever actually checked it out? You do seem pretty objective....but you're still on the outside looking in and trying to make an assessment. Go and see. And then report back.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
FKA,I gotta ask you again: have you ever actually checked it out? You do seem pretty objective....but you're still on the outside looking in and trying to make an assessment. Go and see. And then report back.
It would be helpful to have objective voices, overall. However, I am pretty happily involved with another congregation.
bushy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

I've been there a few times because I have worried about a friend there. She invited me and didn't tell me it was xenos. So I went. They have a huge fucking building. Sell coffee and shit all day or at least study time. They give you a book about understanding god and then they invite you to a home group. From what I have heard there are a ton of these. And every time i went there were a lot of people. They were always asking what I believe. And asking me why I don't believe something. They are kinda rude and pretentious too. Maybe its just to me but they are friendly to strangers but once your kinda in. Bwam.

Idk. Also they have a ton of books saying what god is and isn't and denouncing Satan and his ploys and idk. They are written by the founders of the church which I think is weird cause they have like 20 books or more. Its just weird at the amount that they try to get people to come. And stay.

Also most of the guys seem like desperate college losers looking to hook up. And the girls just as much.

Ill report back next time I go
Anonymous

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Judged:

bushy wrote:
Also most of the guys seem like desperate college losers looking to hook up. And the girls just as much.

That's how most young college kids are to be fair
Concerned Friend

Cardington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

My best friend started going there and she always talks about it... It seemed fishy to me. I decided to research it and the cult like behaviors. She says things to me that send up red flags to me, and she always has an excuse for everything. I am concerned about her and where this will lead. It's been almost a year, she lives with them, and it seems more and more controlling. She's never been a very religious person although believing in God. She knows how I feel about this. My question is does anyone have any advise or suggestions on how to change her mind about this place or does anyone have any hard core proof this this place is dangerous to young people's social and mental life.
Anonymous

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Concerned Friend wrote:
My best friend started going there and she always talks about it... It seemed fishy to me. I decided to research it and the cult like behaviors. She says things to me that send up red flags to me, and she always has an excuse for everything. I am concerned about her and where this will lead. It's been almost a year, she lives with them, and it seems more and more controlling. She's never been a very religious person although believing in God. She knows how I feel about this. My question is does anyone have any advise or suggestions on how to change her mind about this place or does anyone have any hard core proof this this place is dangerous to young people's social and mental life.
From everything I've read and heard about the place, you should be scared of losing her. Pretty soon she will stop talking to you. The people around her will try to cut you out. They will justify it by saying you're not spiritual enough and it's for your own good.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be helpful to have objective voices, overall. However, I am pretty happily involved with another congregation.
Fair enough.
Scott Risley

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

So you're saying that people were friendly, they have a big building, the senior pastors have written a number of books and they invited you to a small group. And they wanted to have spiritual conversations? None of that sounds cult-like. Sounds like most large churches I've been to.

Should people be unfriendly? In national surveys that's often the biggest reason people say they don't like church and don't want to come back.

Should the pastors not write books?

I'm not sure the part about "once you're kinda in. Bwam." Is that something that happened to you? I still haven't heard any concrete reports on this entire thread.

Is it weird that we want people to come to church and join up and follow Jesus? According to Jesus, that's the reason the church exists (Matt 28:18-20). We don't say you have to do that at Xenos. There are tons of good churches out there. But we want people to become Christians and get involved somewhere.

I'm not sure the part about everyone seeming like losers. We do accept people most of the world rejects. But we've got a wide variety of people involved from all kinds of different backgrounds.
bushy wrote:
I've been there a few times because I have worried about a friend there. She invited me and didn't tell me it was xenos. So I went. They have a huge fucking building. Sell coffee and shit all day or at least study time. They give you a book about understanding god and then they invite you to a home group. From what I have heard there are a ton of these. And every time i went there were a lot of people. They were always asking what I believe. And asking me why I don't believe something. They are kinda rude and pretentious too. Maybe its just to me but they are friendly to strangers but once your kinda in. Bwam.
Idk. Also they have a ton of books saying what god is and isn't and denouncing Satan and his ploys and idk. They are written by the founders of the church which I think is weird cause they have like 20 books or more. Its just weird at the amount that they try to get people to come. And stay.
Scott Risley

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
From everything I've read and heard about the place, you should be scared of losing her. Pretty soon she will stop talking to you. The people around her will try to cut you out. They will justify it by saying you're not spiritual enough and it's for your own good.
I love all of these anonymous reports about these cult-like behaviors. I'm an elder at Xenos and I keep asking for something concrete to look into. No one seems to have anything.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

bushy wrote:
Bushy, what part was like a cult? FYI, Xenos people study from books written by all kinds of people, not just those written by the elders. That is the exception. Yes, they try to get people to come, and stay, not because it's a cult, but that's what the bible says to do. Now, you can argue that the bible is wrong, but nothing wrong with showing hospitality and being friendly. Geez, the rest of the world doesn't want anything to do with anybody. So I guess people being over-friendly would seem weird.

I hope the young people you saw weren't just trying to hook up. That's not what Xenos is all about, and definitely not what the truth of God is all about.
jrock

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Rubbish. Man-up and check it out yourself. Quit talking about what you've "read and heard." Hearsay means nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 301 - 320 of770
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

43 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Congress Cost FYI 8 min TonyD2 53
Is Nevada rancher a freeloader? 12 min Free Pizza 4 U 150
Krauthammer: Benghazi DONE, Administration Won! 50 min Luka 26
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) 50 min Vote out every incumbent 169
what is your favorite cell phone brand? 1 hr John Luddite 6
Check out the map......KKK and hate groups incr... 2 hr Free Pizza 4 U 17
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 2 hr Love and sacrifice 1,972
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance