jrock

Columbus, OH

#293 Jan 7, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bait and Switch of Contemporary Christianity by Richard Beck
http://experimentaltheology.blogspot.com/2009...
Don't know who Richard Beck is. You? I agree with some of the blog. Some "Christians" are poor examples of Christ. A lot of those things he mentioned might very well be "substitutes," I don't know because I don't do most of them. However, "studying the bible" and "praying" aren't "substitutes" for anything. Those two things are essential to being a true follower of Christ, according the God's word. Which leads me to believe that Mr. Beck, and maybe you, is either a liberal theologian, or not a "Christian" at all. The fact that he believes that "Much of this activity can actually distract one from becoming a more decent human being" is questionable. Really? Praying and reading from God's instruction book can make me less "decent?" Sorry, this is some form of pseudo-Christianity or universal religion. His comments directly contradict what the word of God says.

BTW, I don't know anything about these "contemporary Christians" who go out to Sunday brunch, treat people badly, and fake it in the "pews." My fellowship, Xenos, is about a far removed from this type of "Christian" as anybody can be. I honestly don't personally know anybody like who he describes.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#294 Jan 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only are there many liberals who are Christians, but a good number find that there liberalism arises from their Christian beliefs.
And since I tend to agree with you that Christianity is best defined by belief (albeit belief back up by actions speaks louder than otherwise), I try not to get into trying to define believers out of the Christian pool. My point was in opposition to the claim that liberals hate (or oppose) Christians but love Muslims.
I would suggest that as Christians we are expected to love all. And one means of acting on that love is to stand up when Muslims in our midst are being attacked.
The Bible tells us to "be at peace with all people, in as much that it is up to you" and it also says we should defend truth wherever it is found. I won't try to define who is, or is not, a Christian unless I know their theology. That being said, Muslims are certainly not Christians. Yes, as Christians we should defend Muslim's right to have their religion and practice it, as long as it does not pose a "real" threat to us or anyone else. That can be said for any religion or belief system.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#295 Jan 7, 2013
jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible tells us to "be at peace with all people, in as much that it is up to you" and it also says we should defend truth wherever it is found. I won't try to define who is, or is not, a Christian unless I know their theology. That being said, Muslims are certainly not Christians. Yes, as Christians we should defend Muslim's right to have their religion and practice it, as long as it does not pose a "real" threat to us or anyone else. That can be said for any religion or belief system.
Please acknowledge which religions in America you consider a "real threat".

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#296 Jan 7, 2013
jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, I don't know anything about these "contemporary Christians" who go out to Sunday brunch, treat people badly, and fake it in the "pews." My fellowship, Xenos, is about a far removed from this type of "Christian" as anybody can be. I honestly don't personally know anybody like who he describes.
I think that this is the pretty generally the description of people at other churches. Never one's own.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#297 Jan 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that this is the pretty generally the description of people at other churches. Never one's own.
Indeed. Some of the most liberal folks I know, seriously into social justice issues, go to UU as well as...Xenos.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#298 Jan 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
My "church" is certainly not perfect. Read the comments, that's how we got here "Xenos Christian Fellowship is a Cult!" The question is not whether we have issues, or whether we are snooty at brunch, it is always "who is this Jesus character to YOU?" The question and the answer define who we are. I honestly don't rub elbows with the type of Christian that the blogger described, other than the fact that most of us do read the bible and pray, go on retreats occasionally, and yes, SOME of us do vote conservative, which means nothing. Like I said, there is no perfect church. If there was, and I joined it, it wouldn't be perfect any more.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#299 Jan 7, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Some of the most liberal folks I know, seriously into social justice issues, go to UU as well as...Xenos.
I'm sure that's true. People's personal faith tends to play itself out individually in different ways. I know many liberal Christians that go to Xenos. And I'm familiar with the UU's (who I disagree with theologically, which it's hard to do).

You didn't answer my question: where did I bash my own kind? Just trying to understand.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#300 Jan 7, 2013
(who I disagree with theologically, which it's hard to do).

I meant to say "which ISN'T hard to do."
jrock

Columbus, OH

#301 Jan 7, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say any "religion" or ideology that poses any physical or emotional harm to innocent persons would qualify. Which ones? Not sure I can answer that. But IF, I SAID IF, somebody flew a plane into a building in the name of "insert God of choice here" OR killed innocent people in the name of their "God" AND it was clear it was a precept of their "religion" to do so I'd call them a threat.

I don't really want to talk about "religious threats." I'm trying to ascertain whether Xenos is a cult, or not.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#302 Jan 7, 2013
jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say any "religion" or ideology that poses any physical or emotional harm to innocent persons would qualify. Which ones? Not sure I can answer that. But IF, I SAID IF, somebody flew a plane into a building in the name of "insert God of choice here" OR killed innocent people in the name of their "God" AND it was clear it was a precept of their "religion" to do so I'd call them a threat.
I don't really want to talk about "religious threats." I'm trying to ascertain whether Xenos is a cult, or not.
You opened the can of worms, not me. I'm not surprised you don't want to talk about it. BTW, your "if" was ridiculous. Man up already and call it like you see it, or don't call it at all.

Lastly, I've been to your church and its social gatherings, so you don't need to explain anything to me. And on that note, I'm outta here.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#303 Jan 8, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
You opened the can of worms, not me. I'm not surprised you don't want to talk about it. BTW, your "if" was ridiculous. Man up already and call it like you see it, or don't call it at all.
Lastly, I've been to your church and its social gatherings, so you don't need to explain anything to me. And on that note, I'm outta here.
FYI, I didn't open up the can of worms about other religions/Muslims, that was somebody else.

I should have only said "if" if it was done based on their religious doctrine. My mistake.

And at least you have been to Xenos so your comments have more weight. I'm sorry, it seems, that your experience was not positive.

I'm out of here as well.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#304 Jan 9, 2013
The two men who run Xenos have degrees from Ashland Theological Seminary, an institution where people can get ONLINE Bible "degrees". It is not an accredited school.

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#305 Jan 9, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Westboro Baptist Church.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#306 Jan 9, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
Westboro Baptist Church.
They're vile scumbags, worthy of every bad thing that comes their way, but how many people have they killed?
Islam, on the other hand...

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#307 Jan 9, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
The two men who run Xenos have degrees from Ashland Theological Seminary, an institution where people can get ONLINE Bible "degrees". It is not an accredited school.
I'm not familiar with that particular institution (I take it it is not affiliated with Ashland University?), and lack of accreditation would certainly be an issue. But, we have come a long ways since the days when online (or mail-order, back in the day) degrees are automatically inferior.

Most bricks and mortar institutions today have at least some online courses. Research has shown there to be no automatic inferiority associated with the medium. In some ways it can be superior, as students are typically required to "post" and take part in class discussions. In a traditional classroom it is always possible to be completely passive.

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#308 Jan 9, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>They're vile scumbags, worthy of every bad thing that comes their way, but how many people have they killed?
Islam, on the other hand...
Some Islamist's are murderous bastages. Some aren't. Some of the most humble, honest folks I've known were Islamic.

I can say the same about some other religions. I don't favor religion personally, it's the old "I have nothing against God, it's his fan club that disturbs me"

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#309 Jan 9, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Islamist's are murderous bastages. Some aren't. Some of the most humble, honest folks I've known were Islamic.
I can say the same about some other religions. I don't favor religion personally, it's the old "I have nothing against God, it's his fan club that disturbs me"
You are one silly, stupid SOB when it comes to Islam, dhimmi.
ation

Voorhees, NJ

#310 Jan 9, 2013
why would you let someone tell you what the religion is when you can read it for yourself..
ation

Voorhees, NJ

#311 Jan 9, 2013
that's what I don't understand..
ation

Voorhees, NJ

#312 Jan 9, 2013
I mean it's kind of right in front of you..

I mean you can study the events that happened in the bible and try to think about God's mind towards things..

but that's not really changing what it says but understanding what to do with it..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greg Spears on Southside (Nov '13) 56 min ex sister n law 3
Spears from South Side 1 hr an old flame sister 8
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr just sayin 4,936
Where has Rowdy been? 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2
A one-horse open carriage 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Black on black and scarcely a peep. 4 hr They cannot kill ... 4
Dead boy's mom urges Columbus marchers on 7 hr now hey 12
COPS lives MATTER 11 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 199
Columbus Dating
Find my Match