Historical Society offers rare look at Civil War artifacts | The Columbus Dispatch

Ohio's history museum plans to offer some rare looks at its Civil War flags, weapons, military accessories and clothing. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
John

Grove City, OH

#41 Mar 18, 2011
Does Kasich know about this stuff?? He could sell it and make $10 billion!!!
Money Hog

Columbus, OH

#42 Mar 18, 2011
I haven't been to the OHS since I was a kid, several decades ago. I wish they would have some exciting displays, then I would make a trip down there. I drove to the Frazier Museum in Louisville and it was just incredible what they have on display.
There is soup in my fly

Delaware, OH

#43 Mar 18, 2011
Wondering wrote:
I'm sure there will be plenty of die hard Civil War buffs that go to see this event. Sadly, the $150 dollar price tag is 3 times my budget for an entertainment activity. What if my teenager and husband wanted to come too? Throw parking cost in there and I have spend almost $500 for one afternoon or evening of entertainment. Sorry, can't afford it!
I myself collect some civil war relics and have a battlefield dug sword and some other items.However,to pay $150 just to SEE relics? Nice,interesting,but I can BUY some nice,authentic civil war relics for $150 and be able to personally enjoy the collection for years,AND,have my collection/investment GAIN value as it ages.
I think they'd have better turnout if they charged a realistic admission of $30-$35 per person or an entire family of 4 for $100.
paxdp

Centerburg, OH

#44 Mar 18, 2011
$150 per person?
JLC

Columbus, OH

#45 Mar 18, 2011
Wow, sounds like a wonderful evening for my husband and son. However, besides the wealthy, who can afford it? Very disappointed in the Historical Society!!!!
Kasich the Anti-Christ

Springfield, OH

#46 Mar 18, 2011
A HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS to view public property!!!!
Kasich the Anti-Christ

Springfield, OH

#47 Mar 18, 2011
Oops...my bad...they are going to allow you to taste some civil war food..for that $150 per person....YUMMY! Hard tack and beans....
Kasich the Anti-Christ

Springfield, OH

#48 Mar 18, 2011
Maybe its a typo....and it is $15 dollars a person....
I was there

Columbus, OH

#49 Mar 18, 2011
I worked for the OHS, and it's a mismanaged joke.

Go to any decent Civil War reenactment, and any reenactor there (myself included) will be more than happy to share hardtack and bad coffee, do a cooking demonstration, let you hold as much equipment as you like, and impress you with far more Civil War knowledge than the entire OHS staff put together.

And it's free.
priorities

Columbus, OH

#50 Mar 18, 2011
Their Gay Ohio History Initiative was enough to convince me not to renew my membership.
KLM

Dublin, OH

#51 Mar 19, 2011
Well, I was going to share this article but at a cost of $150 a person, I think not. Why not bring the artifacts out for an ongoing exhibit? Many of the local historical societies have Civil War artifacts on display at little or no cost (such as Chillicothe).
Rational

Hilliard, OH

#52 Mar 20, 2011
How many of you who are complaining about the cost of these tours have paid more than $150 for OSU football tickets?(OSU is also a "public" institution, by the way).

Or what about a concert? tickets to Justin Bieber can cost $189, without a back-stage pass. And to get a behind-the-scenes tour at the Columbus Zoo, you have to donate $2500. So is history worth less?
KLM

Dublin, OH

#53 Mar 20, 2011
Rational wrote:
How many of you who are complaining about the cost of these tours have paid more than $150 for OSU football tickets?(OSU is also a "public" institution, by the way).
Or what about a concert? tickets to Justin Bieber can cost $189, without a back-stage pass. And to get a behind-the-scenes tour at the Columbus Zoo, you have to donate $2500. So is history worth less?
Never been to anything at OSU, never been backstage anywhere and don't even know what Justin Bieber sings, never been behind the scenes at the Columbus Zoo, don't have a smartphone - you get the drift. This is Columbus, Ohio, where unemployment is rampant and folks are simple - not NYC. I'll drive down to Chillicothe and go through their museum - the cost of gasoline would be cheaper than this.
BlW

Mount Vernon, OH

#54 Jul 24, 2011
Marley Greiner wrote:
It's a fundraiser, for pete's sake.
Finally out of all these posts..... we have a winner!
Thank You for making the obvious visible to those who do not see it.
No sarcasm meant.
Easy ray rowan

Mount Vernon, OH

#55 Mar 8, 2014
Being a retired civil war reenactor and artifact collector there are to many places to see these things and not have to pay an arm and.leg to see them I.think they ought to be reasonable.abought it I will have several.swords and other.artifacts I don't charge people to see them
americhkin idol

Lafayette, OH

#56 Mar 8, 2014
Kasich the Anti-Christ wrote:
A HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS to view public property!!!!
and $10 to park..........Baby!

OHS Member....?.....FAIL

no charge

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 8 min xxxrayted 31,497
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 38 min Neutral Party 3,562
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 5 hr Old Timer 960
Dear Duke (Got a problem, I've got your solution) 6 hr d pantz 90
Marion Woman Sentenced To 5 Years For Taking Sh... 7 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Armed Contractor on Elevator with President 7 hr -The-Artist- 57
Carolyn Bruck, channel 6 (Jan '12) 7 hr They cannot kill ... 317
Two fish were swimming upstream.... 14 hr Duke for Mayor 385

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance