Historical Society offers rare look at Civil War artifacts | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Ohio's history museum plans to offer some rare looks at its Civil War flags, weapons, military accessories and clothing.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Gordon Gekko

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

too bad special going to cut them dry
Jen

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

I love the Civial War, but $150...What the heck?
Bays

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Jen wrote:
You get to hold real military equipment? Not worth that kind of money to me.
John Blutarsky

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Jen wrote:
At least they throw in some hard tack and beef jerky.
Boone Pickens

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Gordon Gekko wrote:
too bad special going to cut them dry
Is this jumble of words supposed to convey some sort of information?
PAM

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

$150? Are they insane!!??
Shakes Head

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

I sometimes wonder....who does the OHS think it is?

The Smithsonian is free.
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

This is going to be the norm. But, if Special K (I believe that what GG is referring to) reads this article he'll probably try to sell the historical society to some for-profit outfit.
Columbusite

Marengo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Shakes Head wrote:
The Smithsonian is free.
The Smithsonian hasn't had its budget cut to the bone. I don't understand the $150 either, but the OHS is really running on very little money, and has been operating that way for several years.

Since: Jan 11

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Shakes Head wrote:
The Smithsonian is free.
OHS thinks it is totally underfunded by the State of Ohio.

Do you have any idea how many times their budget has been cut and cut and then cut some more in recent years?

Funding cuts = pay to play. Average Ohioans can't get in. Rich only. They can either offer exciting events like this with a high ticket price, or they can choose not to offer them at all. You choose.
Marley Greiner

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

It's a fundraiser, for pete's sake.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Bravo to OHS for offering this show! For far too long, OHS has treated its historical inventory as a shrine, instead of a collection. History is made up of the good, the bad, the heoric and the things that we now find questionable or shameful by our modern standards. The only way that we can enegage this generation in history is to stop telling tells and tell it like it was and spark interest.
bigfan

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Shakes Head wrote:
The Smithsonian is free.
The Smithsonian is courtesy of taxpayer money. Who pays for the Ohio Historical Society?
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Shakes Head wrote:
The Smithsonian is free.
You are serious, right? Well, to begin with, OHS isn't the Smithsonian. Unlike the Smithsonian, OHS receives a small part of its operating funds from the Ohio budget, and that amount has shrunk each year since about 2002. And the amount spent on OHS doesn't even come close to a fraction of the annual Federal dollars budgeted to the Smithsonian in each Federal budget.

So I can tell you that OHS knows that it is a private, membership driven society that has a contract with the State of Ohio to handle some duties in protectingf and preserving Ohio's history.

What OHS doesn't need are people shaking their head because it isn't what those head shakers think it should be, it needs our support because OHS and its employees work hard to save those relics, items and places that represent our collective history, whether you think so, or not.
Shakes Head

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

realist13 wrote:
<quoted text>
OHS thinks it is totally underfunded by the State of Ohio.
Do you have any idea how many times their budget has been cut and cut and then cut some more in recent years?
Funding cuts = pay to play. Average Ohioans can't get in. Rich only. They can either offer exciting events like this with a high ticket price, or they can choose not to offer them at all. You choose.
Corporate sponsorships and charitable donations are the answer.
For too long, these quasi-public entities have sucked at the taxpayer teat, and now taxpayer dollars are at a premium.
Shakes Head

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

bigfan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Smithsonian is courtesy of taxpayer money. Who pays for the Ohio Historical Society?
The Smithsonian receives public funding for its staff and facilities, but its exhibits are funded privately.
Cindy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Instead of having this stuff "stored away", why not put it on display and charge $5 a head for anybody who wants to see it?
I have a huge interest in the civil war, but I can't afford $150.00 to look at it.

Since: Jan 11

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Shakes Head wrote:
<quoted text>
Corporate sponsorships and charitable donations are the answer.
For too long, these quasi-public entities have sucked at the taxpayer teat, and now taxpayer dollars are at a premium.
OHS has corporate sponsorships.

OHS gets charitable donations.

Next?

Or is it your contention that the state of Ohio -- the thing OHS exists to preserve the history of -- should play no role in supporting it? We as taxpayers ought to pay exactly zero dollars and zero cents per year to have some entity look after our most treasured and irreplaceable artifacts? That entity should go begging to rich ladies and Walmart in hopes they'll always pay for all of it?
Shakes Head

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

realist13 wrote:
<quoted text>
OHS has corporate sponsorships.
OHS gets charitable donations.
Next?
Or is it your contention that the state of Ohio -- the thing OHS exists to preserve the history of -- should play no role in supporting it? We as taxpayers ought to pay exactly zero dollars and zero cents per year to have some entity look after our most treasured and irreplaceable artifacts? That entity should go begging to rich ladies and Walmart in hopes they'll always pay for all of it?
$10 million in taxpayer dollars for FY2010 doesn't sound too shabby to me.
There is soup in my fly

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

The biggest problems I have with the OHS,like most other museums is exactly what they stated,"items that have been stored away,never being seen before".These artifacts NEED to be on display at all times so that people can LEARN from them & have small glimpses into period life of early America.These museums gather huge amounts of valuable artifacts and they box them only to be shoved into the basement and left to sit.I have personally seen all the indian artifacts boxed and stored at the OHS and it is shameful.There are things in there that are incredible,that need to be displayed because they are a valuable part of history,that in it's present state of storage will never be known except by those who boxed them up.
While museums can only display a certain amount of items because of room,they should rotate items,OR, send these other items to other museums to be appreciated rather than just boxing and forgetting them or leaving them in permanent storage.They do no one any good sitting in their basement.
As for this display,sadly,they will bring them out,but the price will drive people away and they'll just be boxed and stored away again until God only knows when???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

40 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 22 min Male 14
Puppet-OTUS 25 min Black Rhino 37
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 30 min Old Guy 28,987
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 44 min Go Blue Forever 2,890
No you agree with Israeli airstrikes into Gaza? 1 hr Oliver Canterberry 22
500 march for Trayvon Martin in Columbus (Mar '12) 1 hr Oliver Canterberry 402
Where to buy Herbal Incense? (Aug '12) 1 hr NEW Liquid Herbal Incense 109
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••