For 2016, Democrats hunt for a conven...

For 2016, Democrats hunt for a convention city

There are 142 comments on the CNN story from Feb 25, 2014, titled For 2016, Democrats hunt for a convention city. In it, CNN reports that:

As many as three dozen mayors from Atlanta to Sacramento received a letter earlier this month inquiring whether their cities were interested in hosting the 2016 Democratic National Convention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

foster

Ashburn, VA

#45 Feb 25, 2014
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
The entitlement of more and more people thinking of food stamps as a gimme rather than a temporary hardship equates to farming how? Pretty sure farmers, particularly those families who have farmed for generations, do not share the same value system.
generational farming is no justification for being on the dole for generations. if you can not earn a profit get a job
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#46 Feb 25, 2014
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I merely corrected the uninformed poster, above.
Like him, millions of uninformed Americans believe the US government is handing out $1 TRILLION directly to rural American farmers, when the fact is that 80%[$800 BILLION] of that amount actually funds the food stamp program, which by the way, has quadrupled since FY2000...and doubled since 2008...and remains rife with fraud.
US taxpayers should know whose lifestyle they're funding.
I will say one thing. I know a single woman in her 40s on food stamps. She gets like 186 a month so its not like she's living large. Its way recently cut from 200 ish. Yes she works full time for 12 bucks an hour and struggles to make ends meet.

So what do you do with someone like this?
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#47 Feb 25, 2014
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I will say one thing. I know a single woman in her 40s on food stamps. She gets like 186 a month so its not like she's living large. Its way recently cut from 200 ish. Yes she works full time for 12 bucks an hour and struggles to make ends meet.
Help feed them if they qualify.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#49 Feb 25, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
She works 40to hours per week and can't make it with having the goveenment steal on her. Behalf? How many offspring does she have and where are the father(s)?
Why do you begrudge feeding hungry kids?

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility

woof

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#50 Feb 25, 2014
1970s -- 1 in 50 Americans on food stamps
2010s -- 1 in 5 Americans on food stamps

U N S U S T A I N A B L E .

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#52 Feb 25, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
The lifestyles of those receiving $1.50 a meal in SNAP is not bankrupting America. That is less than $5.00 a day.
$4.50 per day. November 2013 ended with 47,033,135 Americans receiving SNAP benefits. Cost? Just over $211,000,000. per DAY, for a weekly cost of just under $1,500,000,000.

One and a half BILLION per WEEK for ONLY SNAP benefits, not counting their other 'lifestyle' benefits is not a burden to the taxpayers?

Get real.

Location hidden

#53 Feb 25, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
1) The kids are not my offspring, therefore they are not my responsibility.
2) There is no population shortage, especially in the offspring uof the lazy and stupid.
B I N G O! And we, working taxpayers, have to support them. I'm tired of it.

Location hidden

#54 Feb 25, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
generational farming is no justification for being on the dole for generations. if you can not earn a profit get a job
I live and grew up in farm country. Damn if I know any generational farm families that are on the 'dole' or ever have been.

You're an idiot and don't begin to know what you're talking about. If all farmers sold their land to developers and took a 40 hour a week job, what would you eat?
foster

Ashburn, VA

#56 Feb 25, 2014
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
$4.50 per day. November 2013 ended with 47,033,135 Americans receiving SNAP benefits. Cost? Just over $211,000,000. per DAY, for a weekly cost of just under $1,500,000,000.
One and a half BILLION per WEEK for ONLY SNAP benefits, not counting their other 'lifestyle' benefits is not a burden to the taxpayers?
Get real.
by your math that is $65 Billion out of the $1 Trillion in Farm Bill entitlements. SNAP is not the problem in America
foster

Ashburn, VA

#57 Feb 25, 2014
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
I live and grew up in farm country. Damn if I know any generational farm families that are on the 'dole' or ever have been.
You're an idiot and don't begin to know what you're talking about. If all farmers sold their land to developers and took a 40 hour a week job, what would you eat?
I also live in an agriculture state and district. You do not see farm bill hand outs and subsidies as entitlement transfer payments? Why? it redistributes wealth
foster

Ashburn, VA

#58 Feb 25, 2014
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
This the lame excuse why Farm Bill entitlements should not be seen as redistribution of wealth like food stamps to the individual. We're deserving and they ain't
foster

Ashburn, VA

#60 Feb 25, 2014
The only difference in Food Stamps and Farm program fundiing is the frequency and amounts of the checks from the government.

The Farm Bill paymente is now and has always been a Rural Area slush fund
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#61 Feb 25, 2014
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you begrudge feeding hungry kids?
http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility
woof
I have personally seen an explosion of unmarried mothers with multiple kids living with their partner who qualify as "single" parents. By one admission, along with the boyfriend's income they were "making good money" and drove a brand new car. Take away those payments and we might get somewhere.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#62 Feb 25, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
by your math that is $65 Billion out of the $1 Trillion in Farm Bill entitlements. SNAP is not the problem in America
Perhaps not. Have you considered that education might be the problem?
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#63 Feb 25, 2014
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Would love to know how she qualified, because I don't know of a single person sans children and spouse who qualify on this income. Truly, though, many folks have a $50/week budget by necessity (and make it work) so I'm not sure what to think about people "like this".
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#64 Feb 25, 2014
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Say "thank you" to the Farm Bill for the fact that the milk you buy isn't 7 dollars a gallon.
woof
I don't drink milk. But let's take a look at this, shall we?

In the Senate -- which is expected to give its final approval to the farm bill as soon as today -- Agriculture Committee Chairwoman Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) has received more contributions from the crop production industry than any other senator.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2014/01/speci...

How Obama-Monsanto’s Food Act Destroys Small Farms

On par with Stalin’s farm collectivization program of the 1930s, Monsanto’s push (to the tune of $8.8 million in lobby bribes in 2008 alone) for the Food Safety Modernization Act is already achieving the nightmares of its worst critics.

Introduced in 2008 by Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) as HR-875, the reworked FSMA was signed into law in January 2011 by President Obama. DeLauro’s husband, Stanley Greenberg, served as a consultant to Monsanto through his strategic political consulting firm, Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research.(GQRR also advised Tony Blair and Bill Clinton during their campaigns.)

Nothing in FSMA addresses the food safety issues of pesticide residue, genetically modified crops, or food miles (which increase the chance of spoilage). But FSMA requires all commercial farms to test the streams used to irrigate their crops.

“The 1,200 page act was designed to put small family farms out of business,” explains Michael Tabor in a recent Farm-to-Consumer interview.“Most farmers irrigate their fields from nearby streams. Now those streams have to be tested on a weekly basis.” At $87.50 per testing, this increases the cost of doing business by $5,000 a year.

Biotech crops and chemical farms get a free pass for polluting our land, air and water table, while downstreamers are required to prove their streams aren’t contaminated. How’s that for a Catch-22?

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/02/how-obama...

Related:

Supreme Court Denies Family Farmers the Right to Self-Defense from Monsanto Abuse

http://www.fooddemocracynow.org/blog/2014/jan...

Statement, President of the NFFC:

http://nffc.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/02...

The New York Times scores the winners and losers. The big winner? The insurance industry. Unlike the food stamp program, the federally subsidized crop insurance program was not cut. The program, which is administered by 18 companies that are paid $1.4 billion annually by the government to sell policies to farmers, pays 62 percent of farmers’ premiums.

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2014/02/the-2014-...

Yes, Virginia, the insurance industry did win big over the paupers under the Obama Administration. And you wonder why people don't want to open their private pockets anymore?
Duke for Mayor

United States

#65 Feb 26, 2014
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
I have personally seen an explosion of unmarried mothers with multiple kids living with their partner who qualify as "single" parents. By one admission, along with the boyfriend's income they were "making good money" and drove a brand new car. Take away those payments and we might get somewhere.
Yes that will teach those pesky kids.

woof
Duke for Mayor

United States

#66 Feb 26, 2014
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't drink milk. But let's take a look at this, shall we?
In the Senate -- which is expected to give its final approval to the farm bill as soon as today -- Agriculture Committee Chairwoman Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) has received more contributions from the crop production industry than any other senator.
http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2014/01/speci...
On par with Stalin’s farm collectivization program of the 1930s, Monsanto’s push (to the tune of $8.8 million in lobby bribes in 2008 alone) for the Food Safety Modernization Act is already achieving the nightmares of its worst critics.
Introduced in 2008 by Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) as HR-875, the reworked FSMA was signed into law in January 2011 by President Obama. DeLauro’s husband, Stanley Greenberg, served as a consultant to Monsanto through his strategic political consulting firm, Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research.(GQRR also advised Tony Blair and Bill Clinton during their campaigns.)
Nothing in FSMA addresses the food safety issues of pesticide residue, genetically modified crops, or food miles (which increase the chance of spoilage). But FSMA requires all commercial farms to test the streams used to irrigate their crops.
“The 1,200 page act was designed to put small family farms out of business,” explains Michael Tabor in a recent Farm-to-Consumer interview.“Most farmers irrigate their fields from nearby streams. Now those streams have to be tested on a weekly basis.” At $87.50 per testing, this increases the cost of doing business by $5,000 a year.
Biotech crops and chemical farms get a free pass for polluting our land, air and water table, while downstreamers are required to prove their streams aren’t contaminated. How’s that for a Catch-22?
http://www.activistpost.com/2014/02/how-obama...
The New York Times scores the winners and losers. The big winner? The insurance industry. Unlike the food stamp program, the federally subsidized crop insurance program was not cut. The program, which is administered by 18 companies that are paid $1.4 billion annually by the government to sell policies to farmers, pays 62 percent of farmers’ premiums.
http://www.foodpolitics.com/2014/02/the-2014-...

woof
Duke for Mayor

United States

#67 Feb 26, 2014
-tip- wrote:
1970s -- 1 in 50 Americans on food stamps
2010s -- 1 in 5 Americans on food stamps
U N S U S T A I N A B L E .
You're making that statement does not make it true.

woof
Duke for Mayor

United States

#68 Feb 26, 2014
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure Annie, no generational farmers have ever accepted food stamps or crop subsidies, or low interest loans available only through the USDA.

woof

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roadhouse strip club (Jan '14) 3 min Who cares 41
News GOP chairman Matt Borges called out over suppor... 1 hr Duke for Mayor 3
Looking for my father!!!!! 1 hr Good Luck 3
Trump the Crook/Liar 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 201
Trump endangers relations with China 2 hr rowdy01 49
God Help Us. Drumpf Is Clueless, And Impeachab... 2 hr They cannot kill ... 83
Religion in our schools..... 3 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 19
144 Companies in 25 Different Countries 7 hr Seriouslady 215

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web