Best place for a value home

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Buyer

Columbus, OH

#1 May 20, 2013
I'm new to the city, I rent in clintonville and I work down town.

I do not want to pay high property tax since I don't plan on having kids anytime soon. I just want to get in a house before prices and interest rates shoot up.

I am skilled and can fix things up. I can afford 250-300k but there is no reason for me to get that nice of a place. i want a fixerupper.

I noticed obetz has relatively low property taxes.... Should I consider the south side and/or obetz or should I look elsewhere? I want to spend 100-150k.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from iPhone
sidekick

West Jefferson, OH

#2 May 20, 2013
Buyer wrote:
I'm new to the city, I rent in clintonville and I work down town.
I do not want to pay high property tax since I don't plan on having kids anytime soon. I just want to get in a house before prices and interest rates shoot up.
I am skilled and can fix things up. I can afford 250-300k but there is no reason for me to get that nice of a place. i want a fixerupper.
I noticed obetz has relatively low property taxes.... Should I consider the south side and/or obetz or should I look elsewhere? I want to spend 100-150k.
Thanks for your help!
Sent from iPhone
I wouldn't recommend Obetz when you have a budget that can do much better. Try asking your bank if they have a list of homes for sale, foreclosed or cheap and get some experience in what's out there. Then, do some homework on what would benefit you more, as in, commuting, privacy, neighborhood activity and future surrounding expectation. Are you female? And Hot?
sidekick

West Jefferson, OH

#5 May 20, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
Sidekick is actually a good resource on this topic.
Thanks, but I wish i knew a lot more than I do. To me, this is a very hard decision with how most neighborhoods change to worse, and not better. You've always seemed to have a good perspective on this topic as well. Tract/production homes seem to be the biggest money-pits anymore. They're built sloppy, cheap and masked with the average bottom dollar materials that fall apart within 20 yrs.

I personally like the homes built in the early 19's or around when block was new to basements.
sidekick

West Jefferson, OH

#6 May 20, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
PS South of I 70 is mostly working class except for Pickerington which is mix between higher income Eastsiders and amore working class population that have higher paid blue collar jobs or farmers. Some professionals, but mostly East Siders fleeing Columbus and Fairfield County types. Pickerington is nice.
blacks live mostly on the east side except for some Somalians that live out west. the rest of them live in the old North land area.
Mexicans live mostly on the west side but very few blacks west of Ohio 315.
Indians and Muslims mostly live up north.
I'm wondering if the highway work being done now has its surrounding areas future in mind for good or bad reasons. Take a gander at how all that Easton area highway work developed what it is today. Now it's finally all going to the downtown and westside area. Do you think it's just overdue or a sign of growth(or both) in where someone could expect the next takeover of development?
sidekick

West Jefferson, OH

#7 May 20, 2013
P.S. Oh yeah, just look on Crime Tracker 10( 10tv.com ) and avoid the areas flooded with flags of parasite doings.
Buyer

Columbus, OH

#8 May 21, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
Sidekick is actually a good resource on this topic.
Basically, every suburb north of I-70 is OK. There are some spots in Hilliard, Reynoldsburg, Westerville and Gahanna you should watch out for, however. Otherwise, these suburbs are also okay. excellent schools for the most part everywhere north of ii-70, but with excellent schools come high property taxes. but you get what you pay for because houses north of i-70 rise in value and they sell quickly.
South of I 70 it gets a little bit dicier. Pickerington is excellent. Canal Winchester, Grove port, Galloway and Grove City are okay, but not as good as being north of I-70. Property values and resale are also weak South of I 70 except again for PPickerington since most of those School District have funding problems, high taxes, and generally lag behind the school districts north of i-70.
if you don't have any kids or send your kids to private schools and taxes are a major concern, you won't do too bad living in one of the nicer neighborhood located within Columbus proper. Columbus school suck but the taxes are low compared to other districts.also a lot of territory within the city of Columbus lies within suburban school district so you get the benefit of lower Columbus Texas calm a crappy Columbus services, and being a suburban school system. However in my experience most of these homes are less than desirable tract homes on the lower side of the scale economically.
Thanks for the information. I might try to find a bank-owned in a nice area.
Buyer

Columbus, OH

#9 May 21, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but I wish i knew a lot more than I do. To me, this is a very hard decision with how most neighborhoods change to worse, and not better. You've always seemed to have a good perspective on this topic as well. Tract/production homes seem to be the biggest money-pits anymore. They're built sloppy, cheap and masked with the average bottom dollar materials that fall apart within 20 yrs.
I personally like the homes built in the early 19's or around when block was new to basements.
Yes - I can handle a property that is run down. I just want something that is structurally sound. I guess I should probably look for an area w/ mature trees...
just saying

Blacklick, OH

#10 May 21, 2013
Avoid Reynoldsburg (Ghettosburg)!

The East/West corridors, I-70, Livingston Avenue, Main Street and Broad Street have made the influx of the black fog easy and irreversible. The people (ghettozens) who left East Columbus to get out of the ghetto brought it with them. The "spots" mentioned in post #3 are growing and merging. The money you are talking will put you on an island of nice in a sea of not nice.

just saying...

-Clayton Bigsby

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#11 May 21, 2013
just saying wrote:
The East/West corridors, I-70, Livingston Avenue, Main Street and Broad Street have made the influx of the black fog easy and irreversible. The people (ghettozens) who left East Columbus to get out of the ghetto brought it with them. The "spots" mentioned in post #3 are growing and merging. The money you are talking will put you on an island of nice in a sea of not nice.
just saying...
There are none of those "spots" in Hilliard.
just saying

Blacklick, OH

#12 May 21, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>There are none of those "spots" in Hilliard.
Then tonight, before you go to bed, get down on your knees and say a prayer of thanks.
Buyer

Columbus, OH

#13 May 21, 2013
just saying wrote:
just saying...
I've never owned and im new to columbus so I'm learning. I appreciate the feedback.
Buyer

Columbus, OH

#14 May 21, 2013
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Then tonight, before you go to bed, get down on your knees and say a prayer of thanks.
That's the last place id raise my kids when its time for school. You are exactly right. A ton of immigrants milking the system.

-Clayton Bigsby

Hilliard, OH

#15 May 21, 2013
Buyer wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never owned and im new to columbus so I'm learning. I appreciate the feedback.
Any suburb north of 70 and outside 270 is perfectly fine.
sidekick

West Jefferson, OH

#18 May 21, 2013
If inside 270, on the budget of the OP, I'd recommend the Mill Run, or the Worthington area if he/she wants to spend their max. As the poster has said, they work downtown, and them areas are about the best bet for less traffic to and from work. But, the actual house itself is the puzzle for your investment. I've seen some really nice older homes that were half the price as newer, and in my opinion...worth more.

-Clayton Bigsby

Hilliard, OH

#19 May 21, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Inside 270 Grandview, Marble Cliff, Upper Arlington and Bexley are places where you can't go wrong. Worthington is good, too. Even Whitehall isn't bad, for that price point. Compared to similar section in Columbus it is a huge step above.
Columbus also has decent neighborhoods for the urban liberal. Clintonville is one of them also there are places like Berwick Eastmoor and others depending on what you want out of the neighborhood.
Whitehall sucks. The rest are way out of his price range.
sidekick

West Jefferson, OH

#20 May 21, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
Reynoldsburg is fine except for the sw quadrant near Brice and Livingston. Reynoldsburg is more modest than some of the other suburbs but good schools and a decent place to live if you have a more modest income.not everybody can afford to live in New Albany.
It might be just a superstition or maybe me, but it seems the further you go East in Columbus, the ruder people are. I would label Columbus' most humble people to live West/N. West and some Northern sides of town in the mix. But don't take it wrong, we've got a sleuth of great people everywhere, just some are infested with riffraff who need to be shipped to prison or whatever side of the planet they spawned from.
sidekick

West Jefferson, OH

#21 May 21, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Whitehall sucks. The rest are way out of his price range.
I agree...Its future (gut-feeling)outcome isn't worth the price to gamble with. I really don't like much of any Eastside areas of Columbus.
just saying

Blacklick, OH

#25 May 22, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>There are none of those "spots" in Hilliard.
Looks like there's at least one spot of "stupid".

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/2...

-Clayton Bigsby

Hilliard, OH

#26 May 22, 2013
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like there's at least one spot of "stupid".
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/2...
Yeah, that never happens in UA, Dublin or Bexley.../sarc.
You ought to see what happens when people leave their garage doors open.
just saying

Blacklick, OH

#27 May 22, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, that never happens in UA, Dublin or Bexley.../sarc.
You ought to see what happens when people leave their garage doors open.
I'm sure it does happen in those places.

Like TheCat said, no sympathy for stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump and Putin have ties..... 6 min Slim Pickens 46
Trump the Liar 9 min d pants 229
Gasp! Emails.....created crisis 22 min Pale Rider 25
Donald Trump - Dangerous 29 min Seriouslady 24
Trump...the evasive 3 hr Pale Rider 18
Dawn Fiore 4 hr The man 1
African-American man shot over politics 4 hr d pants 22
Don't trust Google... 4 hr Male 43
why is chelsea clinton so ugly? (Apr '14) 5 hr Pam 72

Columbus Jobs