Just 7 percent of voters go to polls in central Ohio

Full story: The Columbus Dispatch

In Franklin County, voter turnout totaled 4.5 percent, by far the lowest in more than a decade and among the tiniest turnouts ever.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated May 10, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

I have an idea to increase turnout

Let the people who pay municipal income tax to Columbus, but don't live in Columbus city limits, vote.

Can you say, GOP Mayor and City Council
just saying

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
Let the people who pay municipal income tax to Columbus, but don't live in Columbus city limits, vote.
That might do it.

Goodbye, Mikey's Bikes!

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
Reader and her ilk would sue for civil rights violations...they think white suburbanites should fund their whole corrupt operation.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

The ongoing problem with this idea is the conflict of the Supreme Court "one-man one vote" decisions, which the astute observer would note is not actually found in the Constitution.

I understand that people in some states are allowed to vote on property taxes if they own property in another jurisdiction where they don't live.

I've never seen it with income taxes, though I believe that increases in the city income tax must go before a vote of the people. At the very least all income taxpayers should get to vote on that, and to petition to lower the tax (a little known option) by putting it on the ballot.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

The Dispatch's math skills are as bad as Reality Speaks'. I sent them a message to this effect: It is not right to include in the number of eligible voters those voters who had nothing on the ballot. Neither Grove City or Jackson Township had anything on the ballot, so the precincts weren't even open. I suspect other burbs and townships had the same situation. They should only count those voters in precints that actually had contests or issues. It would still be a low percentage, but not 4.5%
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
Brilliant idea! What about all those professional athletes who have paychecks taxed in multiple cities; should they be allowed to vote in all of them?

And what about sales tax? I want to vote everywhere I have paid a sales tax. No taxation without representation!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant idea! What about all those professional athletes who have paychecks taxed in multiple cities; should they be allowed to vote in all of them?
And what about sales tax? I want to vote everywhere I have paid a sales tax. No taxation without representation!
http://books.google.com/books...

The jock tax isn't considered an efficient tax.

I will be honest, that if states want to continue to collect that tax, they better hand over suffrage in exchange.

Sales tax is variable, and one has a high degree of choice where to shop, so I see no way that suffrage could be demanded.

But your trolling is noted, statist.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
But when those athletes play a game on the road, they don't pay in their hometown. And only around a dozen cities actually screw them on the first place. The major league cities in Ohio and Pennsylvania are five of them.
The rest of us don't have that option.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>But when those athletes play a game on the road, they don't pay in their hometown. And only around a dozen cities actually screw them on the first place. The major league cities in Ohio and Pennsylvania are five of them.
There appears to be another tax that hits bands on tour.

Now of course, Hollywood always gets tax REBATES when it shows up here.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
There appears to be another tax that hits bands on tour.
Now of course, Hollywood always gets tax REBATES when it shows up here.
It's all "entertainers," including athletes. Even guest speakers, so they hit guys like Clinton and Colin Powell. Not sure if movie tax credits are covered in an actor's contract.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>It's all "entertainers," including athletes. Even guest speakers, so they hit guys like Clinton and Colin Powell. Not sure if movie tax credits are covered in an actor's contract.
If your home state has income tax, it covers that as a credit.

If it doesn't, you get hosed.

For people living in CA, they might actually be getting less taxed from jock tax than if they got all the checks in CA.
They cannot kill a Spook

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Kemosahbe wrote:
The Dispatch's math skills are as bad as Reality Speaks'. I sent them a message to this effect: It is not right to include in the number of eligible voters those voters who had nothing on the ballot. Neither Grove City or Jackson Township had anything on the ballot, so the precincts weren't even open. I suspect other burbs and townships had the same situation. They should only count those voters in precints that actually had contests or issues. It would still be a low percentage, but not 4.5%
In Lancaster where there was city wide levy on the turn out was just a hair over 12 percent. And in some wards there were council candidates for two partys besides a republican council at large race.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>But when those athletes play a game on the road, they don't pay in their hometown. And only around a dozen cities actually screw them on the first place. The major league cities in Ohio and Pennsylvania are five of them.
This reminds me of the battle of taxes my employer had to go through. Our company is in the suburb of Brookpark which is by the Cleveland Hopkins airport. The city of Cleveland demanded that we employees pay city tax to Cleveland because we make deliveries and pickups there. My employer fought with them for years.

Finally Cleveland placed a phone call to my employer threatening him with court action if we didn't pay city taxes there. My employer responded: That's fine with me, but one of the first things I will ask in court is if trucking companies in Cleveland that make deliveries to Brookpark have their employees pay taxes here, or anywhere they make a delivery? Do you really want to open up that can of worms???? The phone on the other end went silent.

Long story short, I now have to pay taxes in both cities Brookpark and Cleveland, yet I don't get to vote in either of those cities. Taxation without representation. But who cares about the Constitution anyway these days?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
This reminds me of the battle of taxes my employer had to go through. Our company is in the suburb of Brookpark which is by the Cleveland Hopkins airport. The city of Cleveland demanded that we employees pay city tax to Cleveland because we make deliveries and pickups there. My employer fought with them for years.
Finally Cleveland placed a phone call to my employer threatening him with court action if we didn't pay city taxes there. My employer responded: That's fine with me, but one of the first things I will ask in court is if trucking companies in Cleveland that make deliveries to Brookpark have their employees pay taxes here, or anywhere they make a delivery? Do you really want to open up that can of worms???? The phone on the other end went silent.
Long story short, I now have to pay taxes in both cities Brookpark and Cleveland, yet I don't get to vote in either of those cities. Taxation without representation. But who cares about the Constitution anyway these days?
I'm surprised more Killdozers aren't built

War is coming

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
You do get a credit for your hometown, but that's cold comfort when you're still paying twice with no vote.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>You do get a credit for your hometown, but that's cold comfort when you're still paying twice with no vote.
Actions have consequences, Junior. Americans are free to choose where they live and where they work. You whiny suburban leeches hate freedom and hate America.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Actions have consequences, Junior. Americans are free to choose where they live and where they work. You whiny suburban leeches hate freedom and hate America.
We pay all the freight, wee man. And we love America...we just hate scum bags like you and your kind. If not for us, you'd starve.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
When freedom becomes irresponsibility and immorality, and America becomes the Third World, yes I hate it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

And without our incomes taxes funding the

-WIC
-SNAP
-TANF
-EITC

Your "progressive" cites would burn.

Ever heard of Malaysia?
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>You do get a credit for your hometown, but that's cold comfort when you're still paying twice with no vote.
Problem is that I don't live in either Cleveland or Brookpark. I live in another suburb where we have our own taxes to deal with. All in all, I am paying taxes in three cities, yet I only get to vote in one; the suburb I live in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••