Olentangy school board member resigns seat

Jul 8, 2010 Read more: DispatchPolitics 39
Citing "commitments at home," Jennifer Smith has resigned from the Olentangy Board of Education. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Blame Unions

Dayton, OH

#1 Jul 8, 2010
Does anyone remember Jennifer Smith was the only voice of reason that didn't want to hire the superintendent in secret ? Jennifer was also opposed to the outrageous salary and benefits the board gave to the superintendent. It's hard to be the lone voice in a 4-1 board trying to represent the citizens of your community. The board will appoint someone who thinks like them so they can continue holding their secret meetings and spend money like its water.

Good luck Jennifer, and may the community someday realize how the teachers union has destroyed education in Ohio.
Guest

Inman, SC

#2 Jul 8, 2010
Why not eliminate the seat and save the taxpayers money.
Jack

Delaware, OH

#3 Jul 8, 2010
Guest wrote:
Why not eliminate the seat and save the taxpayers money.
School board members don't make much money. I think it is less than a 1,000 dollars a year. Most of the school board members of have plenty of money (i.e. Dimon McPherson former CEO of Nationwide).
The Rational One

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 8, 2010
This stinks. As a resident within this district I've heard plenty about Smith and she often thought outside the box. And how she butted heads with the rest of the board. Agree with her or not, she was great to have on the board. She'll be missed and as one noted she'll be replaced by some lemming I'm sure.
Once again

Westerville, OH

#5 Jul 8, 2010
the good old boy network pushing out someone for the hopes of a unanimous "yes" Wake up Olentangy...a good education can be gained without all the bells and whistles of wasteful spending
Paul Lambert

Dublin, OH

#6 Jul 8, 2010
This is a loss for the Olentangy Schools community. Ms. Smith is a kindred spirit.

Best wishes Jennifer.

Paul Lambert
Member, Board of Education
Hilliard City Schools
Lolita Shih Tzu

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 8, 2010
What a shame! Why the good people always have to give up? These stinky boards need opposition to make sound decisions!
Did you ever go

Austin, TX

#8 Jul 8, 2010
Lolita,

Did you ever attend a meeting in your life? Or in the past 2.5 years? Last 6 months? I'm guessing you didn't and I can assure you that if you did, you were one of only a small handful of public citizens who did attend.

That is exactly why the good people quit. Because apathetic people like yourself (sorry for the broad brush) don't support them. A one person army can only take so many shots before they decide the battle isn't worth fighting. It isn't "giving up" as you say. Rather, it's a concious decision to put personal time and energy into something that actually makes a significant difference in society. With constant 4-1 votes, mitigated participation because the Board President would kill every motion she put forth, Dimon running the big PR campaign that everything in Oz (aka OLSD)is just great (so long as we continue to fund the district's wasteful spending), incurring legal fees to obtain public records from the very district that she was elected to oversee, etc... it is no surprise that Smith resigned. The district didn't fight hard enough for her or for the conservative and fiscal responsible cause that she brought to the board. If you didn't attend 10 meetings in the last 2.5 years, then YOU didn't fight for her.

As a one man army, she did a good job of exposing the reality of the district's operations. Unfortunately, the community will no longer have an inside view.

The next levy request just increased by 20% because she is no longer on the board. Expect your kids to be held hostage in May of 2011. The tax collector is coming and we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Indeed

Columbus, OH

#9 Jul 8, 2010
Did you ever go wrote:
Lolita,
Did you ever attend a meeting in your life? Or in the past 2.5 years? Last 6 months? I'm guessing you didn't and I can assure you that if you did, you were one of only a small handful of public citizens who did attend.
That is exactly why the good people quit. Because apathetic people like yourself (sorry for the broad brush) don't support them. A one person army can only take so many shots before they decide the battle isn't worth fighting. It isn't "giving up" as you say. Rather, it's a concious decision to put personal time and energy into something that actually makes a significant difference in society. With constant 4-1 votes, mitigated participation because the Board President would kill every motion she put forth, Dimon running the big PR campaign that everything in Oz (aka OLSD)is just great (so long as we continue to fund the district's wasteful spending), incurring legal fees to obtain public records from the very district that she was elected to oversee, etc... it is no surprise that Smith resigned. The district didn't fight hard enough for her or for the conservative and fiscal responsible cause that she brought to the board. If you didn't attend 10 meetings in the last 2.5 years, then YOU didn't fight for her.
As a one man army, she did a good job of exposing the reality of the district's operations. Unfortunately, the community will no longer have an inside view.
The next levy request just increased by 20% because she is no longer on the board. Expect your kids to be held hostage in May of 2011. The tax collector is coming and we have no one to blame but ourselves.
You nailed that one with precision.
Question

Westerville, OH

#10 Jul 8, 2010
Please question Lucas on his Ed.D. he bought from a degree mill.
Blame the Board

Dayton, OH

#11 Jul 8, 2010
The superintendents contact with benefits is valued over $333,000 per year. That means he is made a millionaire every three years. And the board claims "they do this for the children"

Wake up Olentangy, your next tax levy will pay for his salary, not your child in the classroom.
Lolita Shih Tzu

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 8, 2010
Did you ever go wrote:
Lolita,
Did you ever attend a meeting in your life? Or in the past 2.5 years? Last 6 months? I'm guessing you didn't and I can assure you that if you did, you were one of only a small handful of public citizens who did attend.
That is exactly why the good people quit. Because apathetic people like yourself (sorry for the broad brush) don't support them. A one person army can only take so many shots before they decide the battle isn't worth fighting. It isn't "giving up" as you say. Rather, it's a concious decision to put personal time and energy into something that actually makes a significant difference in society. With constant 4-1 votes, mitigated participation because the Board President would kill every motion she put forth, Dimon running the big PR campaign that everything in Oz (aka OLSD)is just great (so long as we continue to fund the district's wasteful spending), incurring legal fees to obtain public records from the very district that she was elected to oversee, etc... it is no surprise that Smith resigned. The district didn't fight hard enough for her or for the conservative and fiscal responsible cause that she brought to the board. If you didn't attend 10 meetings in the last 2.5 years, then YOU didn't fight for her.
As a one man army, she did a good job of exposing the reality of the district's operations. Unfortunately, the community will no longer have an inside view.
The next levy request just increased by 20% because she is no longer on the board. Expect your kids to be held hostage in May of 2011. The tax collector is coming and we have no one to blame but ourselves.
I have lots of meetings and I dislike to go to them. I have not gone to these meetings because I don't have a reason to go to.
You are so right: there is a point in which you realize that you are not going anywhere and the resignation is the only option left. Still, it is an option that brings only shame to the other members of that Board.
I appreciate your insight. By the way, you can see this topic doesn't attract people and that's a reflection of what you have said: apathy!
Reality

Reynoldsburg, OH

#13 Jul 9, 2010
Blame Unions wrote:
Does anyone remember Jennifer Smith was the only voice of reason that didn't want to hire the superintendent in secret ? Jennifer was also opposed to the outrageous salary and benefits the board gave to the superintendent. It's hard to be the lone voice in a 4-1 board trying to represent the citizens of your community. The board will appoint someone who thinks like them so they can continue holding their secret meetings and spend money like its water.
Good luck Jennifer, and may the community someday realize how the teachers union has destroyed education in Ohio.
This post's name says it all. BLAME THE UNIONS.
OLSD Tax Suck

Powell, OH

#14 Jul 20, 2010
Lolita Shih Tzu wrote:
<quoted text>
I have lots of meetings and I dislike to go to them. I have not gone to these meetings because I don't have a reason to go to.
You are so right: there is a point in which you realize that you are not going anywhere and the resignation is the only option left. Still, it is an option that brings only shame to the other members of that Board.
I appreciate your insight. By the way, you can see this topic doesn't attract people and that's a reflection of what you have said: apathy!
you have a reason to go... more than half of your property taxes go to fund the school district. If you have a $500K house, that's $6500 a year to Wade Lucas' pocket. You have EVERY right to go to these meetings and to be heard and respected. Check it out. Go twice in a row and you'll quickly realize what OLSD is about and it isn't you, the kids, or our academic achievements. This board is about power, pride, ego, revenue streams, and pom poms. It isn't about serious issues like 40% remediation rates, drugs in schools, absurd union contracts, CEO like benefits and contracts, and value based spending.
MILLION DOLLAR MAN

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 22, 2010
If I get an online Ed.D like superintendent Lucas did, can I get a million dollar contract, too?

OLSD: Purchased nearly $1MM in Apple PCs three weeks after Lucas attended an Apple event in California (huh? uh--what for??).

New Albany: The board put the administration through a month long-exercise to justify the purchase of $145,000 in PCs--nearly half of which to purchase administrator computers that are 5-7 YEARS OLD!

And, unlike OLSDs practice of flippantly throwing down $1,600 each for iMac Pro laptops, the NAPLS board had a host of security and practical requirements the administration needed to meet in order to get the permission to purchase lowly, non Apple laptops.

OLSD's educational bottom line may be 40% below expectations, but we're doing our part to ensure that Apple's financial bottom line is just fine. Thank goodness the focus of my tax dollars is prioritized.

OLSD: Maximum Spending For Every Administrator

http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/newa...
Jack

Westerville, OH

#16 Jul 26, 2010
Will someone please call out Wade on his paper mill degree? Wade cannot formulate a coherent thought. He is not a leader.
MILLION DOLLAR MAN

Columbus, OH

#17 Jul 27, 2010
Have you read Wade-O's dissertation? It's pretty funny. It's about the "Pay For Grades" program he administrated while at Coshocton. Yes--they pay students for passing grades in Coshocton. The opening pages are jocular shoutouts to his homeys.

http://domapp01.shu.edu/depts/uc/apps/library... $File/Lucas-Wade-E_Doctorate.p df?Open

Lucas is not a leader. Leaders are transformative. He is an administrator--a good one, to be fair. But an administrator nonetheless. He and the board believe his job and priority is to make sure that the trains run on time--and they do. But the community should not have to pay a king's ransom to someone just to manage process (which, mostly manages itself anyway--we had Hooie for a year who did absolutely nothing, and the district didn't run off the rails).

Wade-O won the lottery. And good for him. But it was bad for us. We'll have 30%+ remediation and 30% AP failure rates for as far as the eye can see because Wade-O can only manage the status quo, and either does not have the brains or the will (he certainly does not have the curiosity) to be the transformative leader that we need to correct course and truly be a top shelf district.
Cohort VIII and IX

Westerville, OH

#18 Jul 28, 2010
"Some things you just know" This is hilarious. Wade-O you certainly revealed the code to the lock there. You also gave a shout out to SD (Scott Davis) who helped you get this job. I have never in my 20 years as a professor read a POS dissertation like that. I have also never ever heard "shout outs" in a dissertation. This goes to prove what a farce the degree is.

Wise up people...this guy is a farce.

"some things you just know"
MILLION DOLLAR MAN

Columbus, OH

#19 Aug 2, 2010
Here's an observation:

Wade-O's dissertation was either typed manually using a typewriter, in which case he HAD to scan each of its 244 pages in order to digitize it and convert to PDF OR he composed his dissertation on Word and then PRINTED out all 244 pages, and then scanned (re-digitized) them to convert to PDF.

Whatever he did does not bode well for him, in my opinion.

A.) If he used a manual typewriter to compose his dissertation--in 2008--then he does not belong anywhere in a modern school district.

B.) If he composed his dissertation using Word (or another word processing application) and printed out all 244 pages to scan (re-digitize) to convert to PDF, then I have questions about his honesty.

Why would he go through the extra step of scanning 244 pages of a PRINTED copy of the document to convert to PDF? Was it because it can't be searched? Try it: select Ctrl+F and type any word that's in it--try a word in the title right in front of you. You can't find it. That's an old trick to stymie inquiring minds who want to find something in a document that the author does not want revealed. It's a clever way to dissuade meaninfrul (and revealing) analysis that could otherwise be done very easily.

I cannot thnk of any other reason why one would go through the trouble of printing out a 244 page document, then scan each page to re-digitize it before converting to PDF. Can you, Wade-O?

So, which is it Wade-O? Did you use an old Royal to peck 244 pages of the muddled nonsense that is your dissertation, or did you use Word, print out all 244 pages, scan them and submit your PDF?

Or, to be fair, if it's neither then please explain how it was composed and how you submitted it to the doctoral board.

Oh, and I LOVE the smiley face on page iv, and that you "had a blast!" and "Go RED SOX!".

Seriously--I don't think I'd ever seen this sort of thing in any PhD. dissertation. Then again, an Ed.D is no Ph.D--comparing the two was my first mistake.
Jack

Westerville, OH

#20 Aug 4, 2010
Please do not compare Wade-O's work to anything of educational value. it's not...its a mill. What the hell are all out the shout out's, the smiley face, and "I had a blast." These examples alone are proof this is a farce.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
When Obama gets to Heaven will he be a Muslim o... 51 min Bushido Brown 31
Mus lims are such peaceful people 55 min Bushido Brown 75
News Ex-pastor gets 6 years in sex case | The Columb... (Feb '11) 1 hr d pantz 30
Do Atheist Firemen go to Hell or Heaven? 1 hr d pantz 85
News Child dies one week after being pulled from swi... (Jul '11) 5 hr blazeedwards 19
Obama Admits Communist Davis “Schooled” Him 6 hr dpx55 72
Hillary for President (Apr '14) 8 hr They cannot kill ... 176
Columbus man on a deadly mission, caught 9 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 103
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]