'Exit only' sign sought for Rt. 23 ex...

'Exit only' sign sought for Rt. 23 exit on I-270 | The Columbus...

There are 51 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 29, 2009, titled 'Exit only' sign sought for Rt. 23 exit on I-270 | The Columbus.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Rt. 23 exit on westbound I-270 catches some drivers off guard. The highway also goes from five lanes to four.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ruby

Nashport, OH

#1 Dec 29, 2009
It's not the only extremely silly and dangerous aspect of central ohio freeway exits but it's certainly a great place to begin improvements. This area is one of the hardest to navigate for visitors or newer drivers because of the misleading, mis-placed signage and because of the circular on-off ramps that give a car very little time to either merge into the lane to take a paritcular exit off the freeway (esp. 270) or get on to the freeway from an entrance ramp and merge into freeway traffic going 65mps and above. I swear, students majorning in civil-engineering but who dropped out of college have built your roads.
Sterling Silver

Columbus, OH

#2 Dec 29, 2009
"ODOT officials can look into adding exit only to the 1 mile sign, Hedge said, but the best solution is for everyone to stay alert in areas with heavy traffic."

Everyone stay alert? Doesn't he know that's central Ohio drivers he's talking about? What the hell is HE thinking?
craig

Lewis Center, OH

#3 Dec 29, 2009
I take this exit every morning and agree better signage is needed. First thing that would help is to FINALLY finish the construction near the exit ramp. They started on this project back in May and havent done a thing in several weeks to finish. Its a good thing ODOT didn't build the Great Piramids...they'd still be working on it. Isn't there usually a time frame for completion of projects in this state!!!
Tony

West Jefferson, OH

#4 Dec 29, 2009
I don't think the signs a mile out will bee as effective as folks would like to believe. Many truckers don't seem to be paying attention to signs. An excellent example is westbound 70 at the 71 split where there are 2 lanes of 70 that become a through lane and an exit only lane. I don't know how many times I have seen trucks not even attempt to move left till they are in the middle of the bridge a couple hundred yards before they are forced off.
tipusnr

Columbus, OH

#5 Dec 29, 2009
The problem is made even worse by the discourteous actions of the drivers in the area. It you activate your turn signal to indicate that you are going to change lanes, the routine reaction of any driver in that lane is to go "Oh no you DON'T" and speed up so they are inconvenience by having a car merge in front of them. I've driven in most of the country and we are the worst in that respect.

Couple that with the person who knows he needs to merge because the lane is ending (because either it is or is blocked for some reason) and purposefully passes stopped traffic in the lane he needs to get into so he can "get ahead" of them and signage becomes a minor problem.
Tony Clifton

United States

#6 Dec 29, 2009
Discourteous C'lumbus drivers? Oh, come on.

Them hard workin' hillbilly stock from Nerk are in their first generation of drivin' that Lexus SUV. Don't 'spect 'em to make ANY room for you all.
Burger King

Hilliard, OH

#7 Dec 29, 2009
Only a bunch of snobs from Worthington could find something this petty to complain about.

Go walk your doggie in it's little sweater.

Are you sure it is not GW's fault?

Since: Jul 09

New Albany, OH

#8 Dec 29, 2009
Burger King wrote:
Only a bunch of snobs from Worthington could find something this petty to complain about.
Go walk your doggie in it's little sweater.
Are you sure it is not GW's fault?
Worthington has nothing to be snobby about... it has nothing but a bunch of 1980's condos, old crackerbox houses that need renovation & roads that need to be doubled in width. It's a dump, the next Whitehall in 10 years.

Since: Dec 09

Columbus

#9 Dec 29, 2009
This is only 1 small example of poor design and planning.

Is the south end of 315 really any better?

What was the idea of the downtown 70 / 71 split plan?

270 / 71 on the south side - 4 lanes merge into 2 with a sign on 270 telling through drivers to stay in the left lane because 2 entrance lanes from 71 are merging into the right lane?

I don't think it's dropout civil engineering students, I think it's 3 year old coloring scribbles they for design. Try following the blue line and see if it doesn't resemble the Columbus freeway system.
Chuck

Powell, OH

#10 Dec 29, 2009
A similar signage problem exists in the same area, only eastbound.
Signs indicate the I-71 exit ahead, but do not advise that it is about a mile away. A rise in the road makes it impossible to see that the exit is quite a way up the road. Consequently drivers change lanes in a panic mode causing unnecessary braking/swerving/slowdowns.

The sign needs to have "1 Mile" added to it.
Chuck

Powell, OH

#11 Dec 29, 2009
Meathead is probably one of those drivers who won't let someone change lanes in front of him and drives 85 MPH talking on his cell phone.
Tim T

Delaware, OH

#12 Dec 29, 2009
They really need to do something here. When will the construction there end?
Jonathan

Columbus, OH

#13 Dec 29, 2009
At my age I want lots of time to think about it. Those right turn only lanes get every time... boo hoo.
anon5555

Columbus, OH

#14 Dec 29, 2009
it is just as bad on the south outerbelt merging from 71 south to 270 east.......the through traffic keep left signs are numerous and clearly written, however, they mean nothing as do the yeild signs at each freeway entrance.....i get the impression people getting on the freeway think that the freeway needs to yield to them.....what a frickin mess

New Albany, OH

#15 Dec 29, 2009
Chuck wrote:
Meathead is probably one of those drivers who won't let someone change lanes in front of him and drives 85 MPH talking on his cell phone.
I usually keep it around 72-75mph (sometimes 80-85mph depending on the flow of traffic)... and I'm more than happy to let someone over if they know how to drive & actually get their foot on the gas. I'm don't have time for idiots merging on at 35mph.
Dead Parrot

Dublin, OH

#16 Dec 29, 2009
Don't worry the whole 270/315 and 23 interchange area is to be completely rebuilt over the next 10 years. One problem with the signing is that the interchanges for 23 and 315 are too close together for modern standards of design. That usually means a minimum of 1 mile between interchanges and if less than that they usually require separated traffic flows such as the modern interchange designs on 270 around Easton and Sunbury Road resulted in with physically separated collector distributor roads

Project Overview
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/I-270/Pag...

Project Phasing Map
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/I-270/Doc...

The current widening of the bridges over the CSX and NS tracks is part of the project that needs to be done before the heavy lifting portions of the project commence. Right now this is phase B2 (light pink) The Red which is phase B/B1 which is the 23/270 interchange reconstruction is to start construction in 2013, and phases C/D which are the 315/270 reconstruction will start in 2014. There is a further portion of the project which looks to be still a ways off which is the 315 north to 270 west ramp. That ramp probably carries the least amount of traffic so right now it is the lowest priority to get corrected with a new fly-over ramp replacing the existing loop. Two portions of the overall project have been completed. The 270 east to 71 ramp reconstruction has been finished for about a year and the 270 to 315 s/b improvements have been completed. Even the Hard Road reconstruction currently going on is tied to the overall improvements of the couple of mile stretch

New signing will be a part of the projects but it'll probably be 2019, or later, before the whole area is brought up to current design standards for the traffic it today carries.

Remember they were designed in the 1960's and what northern Franklin County looked like then versus now. No matter how good of a crystal ball one had in the mid-60's when the Outerbelt was planned could anyone have seen the impact it has had on teh area. As I have stated around here before, when the Interstates were first proposed there were a large portion of opinion that thought we didn't need them to be designed (or even built) to the standards that existed because nobody would drive on them. Just something to think about as we grapple with the needs of a 21st Century infrastructure for America.
Willy

Reynoldsburg, OH

#17 Dec 29, 2009
Just like what "Dead Parrot" said. When they had the plans to build 270 in the 60's they said nobody would use the outerbelt. When it finally opened I remember seeing all the nice Columbus farmland and trees, now it is just "rooftop row". As to reading highway signs, get off your damn cell phones people!
Bob

Columbus, OH

#18 Dec 29, 2009
A turn signal is not supposed to mean "I'm coming through, so MOVE!" It's supposed to mean, "I'd like to get in that lane." It's not a demand that has to be met, it's a request. Those who are changing lanes are the ones who have to give way, not the ones who are already in the lane.

New Albany, OH

#19 Dec 29, 2009
Bob wrote:
A turn signal is not supposed to mean "I'm coming through, so MOVE!" It's supposed to mean, "I'd like to get in that lane." It's not a demand that has to be met, it's a request. Those who are changing lanes are the ones who have to give way, not the ones who are already in the lane.
Thank Jesus I'm not the only person who knows how to drive in Columbus!
svc

United States

#20 Dec 29, 2009
Meathead123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank Jesus I'm not the only person who knows how to drive in Columbus!
Unfortunately too many drivers see turn signals and think that means they have to crowd the lane so they don't have to get stuck behind another commuter. A turn signal on the highway should be respected by other drivers. I don't know how many times I've flipped my signal and watched the next three cars in the lane I want to switch to punch the gas to keep me from getting over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Finally, Donald Trump Ousted from KKKloset 4 min Let Freedom Ring 14
Republican Politicians have Courted Rascism FOR... 4 min Pope Che Reagan C... 77
Why Ask about Obama? America has Only One Presi... 3 hr Mother Load 102
wow. 50% of Marriages Fail in US 7 hr UTrashy 9
Big Matt 9 hr UTrashy 2
News Columbus renters usually plan to settle down in... 10 hr They cannot kill ... 1
columbus homecoming commitee 10 hr get them out 3

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages