Swiss bring back quotas to control EU immigration

Posted in the Columbus Forum

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2013
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#1 Apr 26, 2013
http://news.yahoo.com/swiss-bring-back-quotas...

GENEVA (Reuters)- Switzerland said it will reintroduce quotas for European Union workers, bowing to growing unease about immigration from poorer neighbors, in a decision Brussels says violates an accord.

Prosperous, landlocked Switzerland has seen the net influx of workers rise to up to 80,0000 a year, contributing to a house price bubble and prompting criticism from right-wing parties.

The Swiss Federal Council said on Wednesday the quotas, effective for 12 months, will apply to eight central and eastern European countries including Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.

They will likely be extended to a further 17 countries in western and southern Europe in June, it added.

Under the terms of the 1999 Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons, non-EU Switzerland may invoke a "safeguard clause" which allows temporary caps on work permits if the annual influx exceeds a certain number.

" came to the conclusion that the safeguard clause is one of several measures which can help to make immigration more acceptable to society and compatible with its needs," it said in a statement.

The EU's foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said she regretted the Swiss action, adding that it was contrary to the 1999 treaty since the quotas differentiate between countries.

"These measures disregard the great benefits that the free movement of persons brings to the citizens of both Switzerland and the EU," she said in an emailed statement.

Last April, Switzerland temporarily imposed quotas on workers from the same eight eastern European countries.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#2 Apr 26, 2013
Here's an idea. Cut off all immigration!

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

#3 Apr 26, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
Here's an idea. Cut off all immigration!
Switzerland is unique of nearly all countries in that it has the power of referendum on national laws, like many US states do.

The Swiss government is trying to make sure that the people don't get enough signatures to put slashing all immigration on the ballot which would make them look bad, as when the Swiss people banned minarets.
Geronimo

Reynoldsburg, OH

#4 Apr 26, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
Here's an idea. Cut off all immigration!
It is too late!

You left the barn door open and millions of horses ran in.

Some wanted but, most not.

Laughing out loud at you... are you a horse whisperer or a hoarse whisperer?

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#5 Apr 26, 2013
Geronimo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is too late!
You left the barn door open and millions of horses ran in.
Some wanted but, most not.
Laughing out loud at you... are you a horse whisperer or a hoarse whisperer?
All this bitching is making me a hoarse whisperer. Its futile though.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#6 Apr 26, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Switzerland is unique of nearly all countries in that it has the power of referendum on national laws, like many US states do.
The Swiss government is trying to make sure that the people don't get enough signatures to put slashing all immigration on the ballot which would make them look bad, as when the Swiss people banned minarets.
If this horrible immigration were on the ballot is would cease.

If immigration, especially Muslim immigration, isn't seriously curtailed Western Civilization could never recover. For the sake of argument, if only 1% of Muslims are terrorists that is still over 100 million causing havoc and mayhem world wise.
Geronimo

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 Apr 26, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
All this bitching is making me a hoarse whisperer. Its futile though.
If you're going to be a voice crying in the wilderness be sure to have some throat lozenges handy.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#8 Apr 26, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
If this horrible immigration were on the ballot is would cease.
If immigration, especially Muslim immigration, isn't seriously curtailed Western Civilization could never recover. For the sake of argument, if only 1% of Muslims are terrorists that is still over 100 million causing havoc and mayhem world wise.
It may be possible to halt immigration by popular vote, but how about a ballot issue to deport those already here?

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

#9 Apr 26, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
It may be possible to halt immigration by popular vote, but how about a ballot issue to deport those already here?
In Switzerland, perhaps, but I don't know Swiss law.

Here, you have to elect a Congress that specifically passes an E-Verify mandate.

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/
Geronimo

Reynoldsburg, OH

#11 Apr 27, 2013
Pam wrote:
<quoted text>
Fool!
Blow me.
Skid

Grafton, OH

#12 Apr 27, 2013
Geronimo wrote:
<quoted text>
Blow me.
No

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Racist 56 min BizzyBee 1
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots? 56 min FFS YES 9
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 1 hr grow up 2,289
Where are all the original legacy posters? 2 hr Duke for Mayor 103
welfare nation 2 hr Duke for Mayor 9
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 2 hr d pantz 263
RIP Joan Rivers 2 hr BizzyBee 16
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••