Scouting’s suicide

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#732 Feb 7, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't let the truth get in your way at all, do you?
Do go on. I love irony.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#733 Feb 7, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok tippy. Although there are a wealth of studies which arrive at conclusions contrary to yours, because it would be quite pointless to do so, I won't even argue about your assertions about statistics.
But do me this favor. Show me where I clamored for the BSA to do anything. For that matter, show me proof that I'm a "leftist".
woof
Triple Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
Ward Churchill, mongrel.

Case closed.
Adif understanding

United States

#734 Feb 7, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage.
Marriage is not denied to gays. They have the exact same right in every state that any other person has.

This is even without getting into the concept of whether marriage is a constitutional right.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#735 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't say that I have a position against the Pauline epistles.
In fact, I am rather more supportive of Paul than a good many feminists.
Again, I believe that God is God, omniscient, omnipresent and completely beyond our understanding. Even the most divinely inspired word can only be filtered through our human understanding. And whether that understanding is that of you or me as reader, or the many who have received, recounted, copied over and translated the word, there is no denying that we have here on our earth a good many understandings. And I would say that none is perfect.
So...again, you insist that God is incapable of perfectly preserving His written message to mankind.
That assertion is only too convenient for those intent on rejecting it in whole or in part.
Adif understanding

United States

#736 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a rather cynical take on Christianity, if you don't mind me saying so.
I don't know why it is cynical. It was over simplified in my explanation, but it is accurate. The old testament gives us guidance to understand what we should know in order to stay in God's grace and validate the New testament.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#737 Feb 7, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
when pubic hair started growing on my body; and girls wanted to play.
did you choose to be gay because no man will have you?
So--were you gay before then? If not, then what were you exactly?

As for me, been straight all my life.

And as for who might "have" me, well, I am particular. Some guys are fun to be in love with, not so much fun to be in relationship with. And I'm not much into "having" people without some serious commitment.

I know that blows your mind, but there we have it.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#738 Feb 7, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
The thread is about allowing gay men participate as leaders and counselers in the Boy Scouts. I give you two words:
Jerry Sandusky
I frankly don't think, at the age they join the scouts, children are aware if they are hetrosexual or homosexual.
As for your opinions and translations on religion, any religion, no one is interested.
Sandusky is a good example of someone who would have had absolutely no trouble becoming a scout leader under the current ban.
Adif understanding

United States

#739 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I was straight long before I had sex with anyone.
Funny thing, my friends who are gay report pretty much the same thing.
Your gay friends would be confused. I know children who want to be firemen and astronauts when they grow up. Very few of them will actually make that happen.
Duke for Mayor

United States

#740 Feb 7, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Triple Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
Ward Churchill, mongrel.
Case closed.
Show one post that I wrote where I "clamored" for the BSA to do anything.

woof

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#741 Feb 7, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
The right to marry includes the right to marry who one wants. Loving v. Virginia.
I believe that it is generally covered under "equal protection under the law."

Interesting side note. Citizens United, the folks who brought us "corporations are people," are now arguing, via an amicus brief in the DOMA case against equal protection.

All those folks who are always talking about their Constitutional rights should sit up and take notice.
Duke for Mayor

United States

#742 Feb 7, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Not in this state. Good luck trying to amend the Ohio constitution.
It will eventually occur.

http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/20...

woof

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#743 Feb 7, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
So...again, you insist that God is incapable of perfectly preserving His written message to mankind.
That assertion is only too convenient for those intent on rejecting it in whole or in part.
God did not choose to make mankind His equal.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#744 Feb 7, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know why it is cynical. It was over simplified in my explanation, but it is accurate. The old testament gives us guidance to understand what we should know in order to stay in God's grace and validate the New testament.
God waited around until some worthy guy showed up by whom he could forge a new and improved covenant?

And God kept changing the covenants because people couldn't manage to keep them?

Yeah, I would say that is cynical.

Not to mention that it only takes a kindergartner's understanding to live the kind of life that God prefers us to lead?

Belief in God requires the trusting ability of children, it is true. But understanding is a life-long commitment.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#745 Feb 7, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>Your gay friends would be confused. I know children who want to be firemen and astronauts when they grow up. Very few of them will actually make that happen.
Have you ever been confused about your sexuality?

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#746 Feb 7, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
It will eventually occur.
http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/20...
woof
Not a chance. Not every urban Democrat will vote for the gays. Then you have the 75 red counties.
Adif understanding

United States

#747 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
God waited around until some worthy guy showed up by whom he could forge a new and improved covenant?
And God kept changing the covenants because people couldn't manage to keep them?
Yeah, I would say that is cynical.
Not to mention that it only takes a kindergartner's understanding to live the kind of life that God prefers us to lead?
Belief in God requires the trusting ability of children, it is true. But understanding is a life-long commitment.
lol.. don' be dense.

Yes, no matter how hard they tried, man fell out of favor with God several times and he forged new covenants with man generations down the road. This is well documented in the bible and one of the specific teachings of Jesus.

As for kindergartner's understanding, I did not even come close to saying they would understand how to lead a life God wants us to lead. I said they would understand the concept of covenants and the difference between the old and new testaments. One is vastly more complex then the other.
Adif understanding

United States

#748 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever been confused about your sexuality?
No, not at all. In fact, I never even thought about sexuality until I reached puberty where I wanted to get my rocks off whenever I could. When I started having sex, I chose a girl and proceeded to get my rocks off quite a bit. Of course then came a short dry spell where I ended it quite nicely with another girl I chose to sleep with.
Adif understanding

United States

#749 Feb 7, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that it is generally covered under "equal protection under the law."
Interesting side note. Citizens United, the folks who brought us "corporations are people," are now arguing, via an amicus brief in the DOMA case against equal protection.
All those folks who are always talking about their Constitutional rights should sit up and take notice.
This only appears like a cognitive dissonance because you have an incorrect understanding of equal protection.

It does not mean "he can do it, so can I". It means you cannot be forbidden from doing it based on a set of criteria not in your control. A black man has no control over his skin color therefore there is no reason he should be denied marrying a woman of his choosing. A gay man has a choice of who to have sex with, he is not being denied the same ability to marry someone of the opposite sex. It's like not wearing a shirt to a government building and being told to leave. You have the same rights as everyone else, you just cannot choose to violate the dress code and claim a violation of the equal protection clause when you are rejected.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#750 Feb 7, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>No, not at all. In fact, I never even thought about sexuality until I reached puberty where I wanted to get my rocks off whenever I could. When I started having sex, I chose a girl and proceeded to get my rocks off quite a bit. Of course then came a short dry spell where I ended it quite nicely with another girl I chose to sleep with.
Never been attracted to another guy?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#751 Feb 7, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>This only appears like a cognitive dissonance because you have an incorrect understanding of equal protection.
It does not mean "he can do it, so can I". It means you cannot be forbidden from doing it based on a set of criteria not in your control. A black man has no control over his skin color therefore there is no reason he should be denied marrying a woman of his choosing. A gay man has a choice of who to have sex with, he is not being denied the same ability to marry someone of the opposite sex. It's like not wearing a shirt to a government building and being told to leave. You have the same rights as everyone else, you just cannot choose to violate the dress code and claim a violation of the equal protection clause when you are rejected.
So, are you saying that you could just choose to have sex with another man, say if marriage to women were to be outlawed?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Congress 7 min Big Johnson 9
Government Waste from the GOP. 19 min DMoriarty 4
Coal States- keep that deadly Fuel out of Ohio 35 min They cannot kill ... 3
bet it white 3 hr Latrina Waters 1
Can We Get a Refund onTrump ? 3 hr fast freddie 9
Middle Class will now be paying for the wall. 4 hr Hail Hydra 5
Russia Hates USA,Loves Trump. Electors voting f... 4 hr Trooff 536
Trump and Pence losing popularity 12 hr Thunder Paws 43
Worlds fastest growing religion is..... 14 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 246
Donald Trump Administration 14 hr White Fangs 795

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages