<quoted text>
This one:
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.
I don't think morally straight and sexually straight are the same things.
liberals always try to reinvent meanings of words they disagree with

no surprise here coming from you.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>That law runs counter to the confessional privilege, if applicable.
It looks like in most states (I would really imagine all but aren't going to research each one!) clergy are required to participate in reporting acts, in a manner which pretty specifically excludes privilege.

Here's a pretty cool (but really, really basic) resource from Denver aimed at educating the faith community about their responsibilities and scope http://fcpei.denverda.org/Classroom/UnitTen.h...

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like in most states (I would really imagine all but aren't going to research each one!) clergy are required to participate in reporting acts, in a manner which pretty specifically excludes privilege.
Here's a pretty cool (but really, really basic) resource from Denver aimed at educating the faith community about their responsibilities and scope http://fcpei.denverda.org/Classroom/UnitTen.h...
Same applies to public school employees who have and are continuing to fail miserably. Reader claims their offenders "fall through the cracks." Meanwhile, the Church is running the global ritual rape of children.

And Islam? Respect it.

Leftists are incapable of rational thought.
It often disproves their claims.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Illinois does not require clergy to report suspected child
abuse.
Kentucky requires all citizens to report suspected child
abuse, but exempts clergy-penitent communication.
Michigan does not require clergy to report suspected
child abuse.
Ohio specifically requires religious "healers" to report
suspected child abuse or neglect.
http://www.seakings.net/care/newsletters/summ...

As for testimony in Ohio:

2317.02 [Effective Until 3/22/2013] Privileged communications.

The following persons shall not testify in certain respects:

(C)(1) A cleric, when the cleric remains accountable to the authority of that cleric’s church, denomination, or sect, concerning a confession made, or any information confidentially communicated, to the cleric for a religious counseling purpose in the cleric’s professional character. The cleric may testify by express consent of the person making the communication, except when the disclosure of the information is in violation of a sacred trust and except that, if the person voluntarily testifies or is deemed by division (A)(4)(c) of section 2151.421 of the Revised Code to have waived any testimonial privilege under this division, the cleric may be compelled to testify on the same subject except when disclosure of the information is in violation of a sacred trust.

(2) As used in division (C) of this section:

(a)“Cleric” means a member of the clergy, rabbi, priest, Christian Science practitioner, or regularly ordained, accredited, or licensed minister of an established and legally cognizable church, denomination, or sect.

(b)“Sacred trust” means a confession or confidential communication made to a cleric in the cleric’s ecclesiastical capacity in the course of discipline enjoined by the church to which the cleric belongs, including, but not limited to, the Catholic Church, if both of the following apply:

(i) The confession or confidential communication was made directly to the cleric.

(ii) The confession or confidential communication was made in the manner and context that places the cleric specifically and strictly under a level of confidentiality that is considered inviolate by canon law or church doctrine.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2317.02

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
let me school you a bit.
A priest committed rape to children. An Archbishop covered it up.
That is not the entire catholic church.
just like you liberals to knee jerk everything out of proportion.
a single whack jobs goes on a killing spree, ban guns.
The Archbishop is guilty of the crimes you post above, not the church.
The priest committed child rape, not the church.
A whack job killed 20 kids, not the nation.
Sorry, RS. This was not at the level of individual decisions (not that the Catholic Church functions that way anyway), but most likely sanctioned to the highest levels. And once things began to come to light, the Church has been less than forthcoming in dealing with either the abusers or those who covered for them (including, as I understand it, the current Pope).

BTW, I just heard a tidbit today about abuses at the Madeline laundries--another whole kettle of fish, operated and approved of by the Church. This one seemed to grow at least in part from a patriarchal supremacy and a deep-seated belief in the innately sinful nature of women.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
liberals always try to reinvent meanings of words they disagree with
no surprise here coming from you.
Are you saying that the folks who wrote that oath actually meant heterosexual when they said straight?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>Please follow along. It happened with the Catholic Church. People who became members molested children and the church tries to hide it and take care of it from within and failed on all accounts.
Islam worships a prophet who was an illiterate pedophile and has religious declarations stating it is ok to molest little kids.
As for the fatwas, I'm serious, look it up, there are plenty of examples, I even gave you the terms to search. This isn't hand holding here. I do expect you to put some effort forward. Do a google search on Thighing Islam and you will have more then enough examples.
Oh, and I never claimed to be an expert on islam, I claimed it was a religion founded around a pedophile molesting a little girl and that because of that, sick perverts claim it is a religious right for them to be allowed to molest children also and have clergy backing that assertion up.
In other words, you don't have the first clue whether there have been any fatwahs endorsing pedophilia, or "thighing." It's just something you saw repeated on some website somewhere.

BTW--does the Bible endorse incest?

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that the folks who wrote that oath actually meant heterosexual when they said straight?
I believe they meant the conventions of religion as the major faiths decreed sexual behavior to be. At the very least, that would mean a prohibition on fornication, and homosexual activity certainly falls under that definition.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Same applies to public school employees who have and are continuing to fail miserably. Reader claims their offenders "fall through the cracks." Meanwhile, the Church is running the global ritual rape of children.
And Islam? Respect it.
Until very recently the required reporting was to Children's Services or to the Police. And frankly, the folks who wrote those laws weren't particularly contemplating abuse by teachers, but rather by parents and family members.

In the last 3-4 years in Ohio, there have been additional reporting requirements put in place as regards teachers specifically. These include requirements that districts report to the the state and that the country agencies and local police also report to the state. These specifics were put into place because the responsibility for removing licenses rests with the state, but information from other law enforcement entities was not always being shared.

Of course, private schools (not charter schools) kinda get left out because they are not required to hire licensed teachers.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

<quoted text>I believe they meant the conventions of religion as the major faiths decreed sexual behavior to be. At the very least, that would mean a prohibition on fornication, and homosexual activity certainly falls under that definition.
So--why were they so willing to protect such folks in their ranks as adults?

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
One possibility is that those doing the protecting are also homosexuals themselves.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
morally straight.
maybe you need a lesson in morality.

exactly how many different times in the bible does it take, where god specifically calls homosexual behavior an abomination?

again your ilk does not like gods word, so you do everything to dismiss it.
scout meetings ended with prayer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
And Islam? Respect it.
Islam, like Protestentism, does not have a global organizational structure. The Catholic Church does.

Those nuns on the bus are in big trouble with the hierarchy for thinking on their own. And Rome has the authority to excommunicate them, should it choose.

Within Protestantism we have a pretty wide range of beliefs with one or two that are central. And NO overarching structure. Islam is similar. While there are middle eastern fundamentalist Muslims who believe that theirs is the only way--and tend towards the barbaric in many cases--they do not comprise the whole of Islam, any more than Westboro Baptist can speak for all of Christianity, or even all of Protestantism or all Baptists for that matter.

Dunno why this basic stuff is so hard for folks to grasp.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

<quoted text>I believe they meant the conventions of religion as the major faiths decreed sexual behavior to be. At the very least, that would mean a prohibition on fornication, and homosexual activity certainly falls under that definition.
Being gay does not require fornication.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Organizational coverup exists for a lot of things. Look at Enron for instance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
morally straight.
maybe you need a lesson in morality.
exactly how many different times in the bible does it take, where god specifically calls homosexual behavior an abomination?
again your ilk does not like gods word, so you do everything to dismiss it.
scout meetings ended with prayer.
Most churches open with prayer and end with prayer and pray somewher in the middle.

And a number of them include people who are gay within their prayer community.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

<quoted text>One possibility is that those doing the protecting are also homosexuals themselves.
Are you suggesting that the BSA is rife with homosexuals?

We are not talking about some individuals carrying out their own policies. We are talking about national policy that covered decades.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam, like Protestentism, does not have a global organizational structure. The Catholic Church does.
Those nuns on the bus are in big trouble with the hierarchy for thinking on their own. And Rome has the authority to excommunicate them, should it choose.
Within Protestantism we have a pretty wide range of beliefs with one or two that are central. And NO overarching structure. Islam is similar. While there are middle eastern fundamentalist Muslims who believe that theirs is the only way--and tend towards the barbaric in many cases--they do not comprise the whole of Islam, any more than Westboro Baptist can speak for all of Christianity, or even all of Protestantism or all Baptists for that matter.
"Protestanism" is not a denomination, its a catch all term.

The Anglican Chruch (Protestant) has a global organization, as does the Lutheran Church(es), the Baptists are organized in the "Conventions"

While there are non-denominational churches, some churches labeled protestant, do have a global organization.

Sunni organization is not as direct, but their are leaders. Al-Azhar has a lot of influence.

The Shia do have an organization, but are not a state, unless you consider Iran to be a "Shia-Super-Vatican"

The majority of Islam approves of the MB, and views Israel with disgust. I cannot have any respect for that.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

<quoted text>One possibility is that those doing the protecting are also homosexuals themselves.
Wow. For a religion that says that homosexuality is a abomination, you sure have a whole lot of them within your hierarchy.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You assign far too much rigidity and straight authoritarianism to the administration of Catholic hierarchies in various nations. The Pope has lots of power the way the Queen does...on paper. Rarely does the Pope put the hammer down on individuals...Father Drinan was one I remember with clarity, and that was simply telling him to resign his House seat. The other was Archbishop Lefebvre and his SSPX cohorts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 501 - 520 of1,095
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is the Koran a Book of Hate? 1 hr Indeedy 68
Michelle Obama f/k/a Michael LaVaughn Robinson 1 hr Indeedy 4
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr full frontal nudity 28,479
Columbus Police Grow Concerned As Murder Rate C... 5 hr Tea Party Supporter 3
Does Obama have the right to ban cameras, media... 5 hr Zoe Regen 4
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 6 hr Neutral Party 2,704
Columbus named a top city for STEM grads amid w... 6 hr Enwordo 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE