“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#108 Mar 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Terrain, it's hilly not flat.
The water tastes different.
Industry mainly locates along the river, transport on barges.
I have no clue how much this plays a role, but I'm guessing that drug use rates are higher there. Most employers demand that applicants pass a drug test.
No doubt. But here's what I'm wondering.

Plenty of industries have located in the Rockies. Witness Denver, Salt Lake City, etc. Terrain there doesn't have the kind of relief that the Rockies do!

Drugs no doubt play a huge role. I had a contract down in Circleville a few years back. I'd never go back there. 23 is definitely a drug highway, and the freaks I worked with scared the beejesus out of me.

Water is not an issue down there, except for the arsenic in the water. When I worked down there, the few existing businesses in the area all had to post warnings that the water was undrinkable. Clean up the dumping that goes on down there. The water table is high enough down there and ground water is plentiful for industry. Most of Ohio sits on a lot of underground water resources. Water quantity is never an issue here.

It's sort of a circular argument that you've presented though. "It's bad, so you can't attract." Why isn't there any motivation to clean it up? After all, there's a huge drug abuse problem in Franklin County too...look at all the meth heads and crackheads!

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#109 Mar 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking of bringing more brains to offset all of the illegal voters, but that works too.
Well...there is a huge illegal problem there too...

Illegals, pot industry, high taxes, all adds up to discourage bringing decent brains out there.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#110 Mar 30, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt. But here's what I'm wondering.
Plenty of industries have located in the Rockies. Witness Denver, Salt Lake City, etc. Terrain there doesn't have the kind of relief that the Rockies do!
Drugs no doubt play a huge role. I had a contract down in Circleville a few years back. I'd never go back there. 23 is definitely a drug highway, and the freaks I worked with scared the beejesus out of me.
Water is not an issue down there, except for the arsenic in the water. When I worked down there, the few existing businesses in the area all had to post warnings that the water was undrinkable. Clean up the dumping that goes on down there. The water table is high enough down there and ground water is plentiful for industry. Most of Ohio sits on a lot of underground water resources. Water quantity is never an issue here.
It's sort of a circular argument that you've presented though. "It's bad, so you can't attract." Why isn't there any motivation to clean it up? After all, there's a huge drug abuse problem in Franklin County too...look at all the meth heads and crackheads!
Denver is flat, as are its suburbs.

The mountains don't begin until you get into Jefferson County.

Salt Lake City is on a flat lakebed, mountains don't begin until you get out of the city.

This is about the only large area I can think of at the moment located in mountainous terrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Mateo_County...

Franklin County has the state government and OSU, that's a ton of money coming in from outside, that makes it look better than it is.

Ivy League-ISIS

#111 Mar 30, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...there is a huge illegal problem there too...
Illegals, pot industry, high taxes, all adds up to discourage bringing decent brains out there.
Stanford and the UC system produce them, but they are more likely to be Asian and less likely to be Black/Latin

The CA leftists are betting that Silicon Valley can produce the wealth to pay for the system.

I'm betting that it collapses.

If CA's population was cut in half, and the environmental damage fixed, it would be a nice place.
Duke for Mayor

Steubenville, OH

#112 Mar 30, 2013
Rush is right!

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#113 Mar 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Denver is flat, as are its suburbs.
The mountains don't begin until you get into Jefferson County.
Salt Lake City is on a flat lakebed, mountains don't begin until you get out of the city.
This is about the only large area I can think of at the moment located in mountainous terrain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Mateo_County...
Franklin County has the state government and OSU, that's a ton of money coming in from outside, that makes it look better than it is.
True, but you have a lot of mountain to deal with for transport in and out of the cities. I just don't see it as an insurmountable (pardon the pun) problem for SE Ohio. Something else has to be discouraging economic growth there.

Agreed re Franklin County.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#114 Mar 30, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
Rush is right!
One semester of college and he's roughly 1500 times what you are.

Hilliard, OH

#115 Mar 30, 2013
^^^...worth roughly...

Hilliard, OH

#116 Mar 30, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but you have a lot of mountain to deal with for transport in and out of the cities. I just don't see it as an insurmountable (pardon the pun) problem for SE Ohio. Something else has to be discouraging economic growth there.
A huge factor is desirability. Denver has it. Most coastal cities have it. Hilljack central doesn't. Imagine living surrounded by the extended families of the Walts of this world.
Duke for Mayor

Steubenville, OH

#117 Mar 30, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>One semester of college and he's roughly 1500 times what you are.
But I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me! The mirror tells me so.

Ivy League-ISIS

#118 Mar 30, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
They dealt with that when they build the roads and railroads.

SE Ohio has the same problem as Upstate New York, the lines of commerce have bypassed it.

My guess is that the Appalachian area is ill-inclined to work due to .gov benefits, drug use, has a higher cost of doing business due to unions and taxation, along with transportation and infrastructure.

It also lacks a large city, and having a "dynamic" city can paper over a lot of stupid policies. I learned that in the Northeast US.

In Cleveland's case, it's why the leaders of Cleveland are more interested in bringing in more of the Third World and moving up the cities "gay friendly" ranking than actually doing anything about the taxes and regulation.

The Downtown building boom is doing a lot to remove reasons to criticize Jackson.

Ivy League-ISIS

#119 Mar 30, 2013
<quoted text>A huge factor is desirability. Denver has it. Most coastal cities have it. Hilljack central doesn't. Imagine living surrounded by the extended families of the Walts of this world.
In leftist speak: Die-versity

I'll take Walt over Waltón, Ahmed, and Wa Lit

Though admittedly, Pittsburgh has little of this and is doing better.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#120 Mar 30, 2013
<quoted text>A huge factor is desirability. Denver has it. Most coastal cities have it. Hilljack central doesn't. Imagine living surrounded by the extended families of the Walts of this world.
Agreed. I hear dueling banjoes on the rare instances I do have to drive down 23.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#121 Mar 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
They dealt with that when they build the roads and railroads.
SE Ohio has the same problem as Upstate New York, the lines of commerce have bypassed it.
My guess is that the Appalachian area is ill-inclined to work due to .gov benefits, drug use, has a higher cost of doing business due to unions and taxation, along with transportation and infrastructure.
It also lacks a large city, and having a "dynamic" city can paper over a lot of stupid policies. I learned that in the Northeast US.
In Cleveland's case, it's why the leaders of Cleveland are more interested in bringing in more of the Third World and moving up the cities "gay friendly" ranking than actually doing anything about the taxes and regulation.
The Downtown building boom is doing a lot to remove reasons to criticize Jackson.
True. Another problem I think is the educational level there.

Hilliard, OH

#122 Mar 30, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. I hear dueling banjoes on the rare instances I do have to drive down 23.
Another decent indicator of what are considered the armpits of a state (outside of the northeast coast): Where the major state prisons are located. Ohio says it all...Lucasville (Portsmouth), Youngstown, Marion, Mansfield...

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#123 Mar 30, 2013
<quoted text>Another decent indicator of what are considered the armpits of a state (outside of the northeast coast): Where the major state prisons are located. Ohio says it all...Lucasville (Portsmouth), Youngstown, Marion, Mansfield...
You might have been reading my mind. Have been planning to drive into Toledo next weekend to see some extended family. 23 North...drive by the Marion prison, I realized that. Toledo, another armpit.

Ivy League-ISIS

#124 Mar 30, 2013
<quoted text>Another decent indicator of what are considered the armpits of a state (outside of the northeast coast): Where the major state prisons are located. Ohio says it all...Lucasville (Portsmouth), Youngstown, Marion, Mansfield...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Californ...

Apparently, Oklahoma is the armpit of California

Ivy League-ISIS

#125 Mar 30, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
You might have been reading my mind. Have been planning to drive into Toledo next weekend to see some extended family. 23 North...drive by the Marion prison, I realized that. Toledo, another armpit.
The failure of Toledo is that it smells.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#126 Mar 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The failure of Toledo is that it smells.
LMAO. Smells like dead three-eyed fish due to the nuke plant.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Westerville, OH

#127 Mar 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The most conservative state is UTAH.
It has the lowest "income inequality" of any state, the most "unequal" state is D dominated New York.
Note the race differential in Alabama, most of the poor are blacks and vote D.
Where are you receiving this information? From many polls I've read, Alabama is now considered the most conservative. Doesn't really matter...lol. Not something worth arguing over. You say Utah, Hugh says Oklahoma.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
African American Male Initiative seeks to help ... 11 min They cannot kill ... 8
Everyone have a good Christmas? 24 min They cannot kill ... 11
Spears from South Side 41 min Bubba 4
Central Ohio filmgoers lining up to see - The I... 47 min They cannot kill ... 2
COPS lives MATTER 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 199
Dead boy's mom urges Columbus marchers on 2 hr DPX55 11
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 3 hr Seriouslady 4,933
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]