|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Georgia IS very poor, outside of Atlanta and a few other cities. The state of Georgia is often separate - in many ways - from the cities. And Atlanta is no longer a Southern city - people who live there have brought their money from elsewhere. And many of those people, those transplants, are quite liberal. There are many gay folk in Atlanta, for instance, these days.
UA is very liberal and Dublin, traditionally conservative, is quickly becoming liberal as well as more and more transplants move in from other places. We are in the midst of everything being turned upside down.
I'd have to disagree re: Georgia. Savannah, Valdosta, Thomasville (just north of Tallahassee) and other regions are actually quite well off. Ever drive through Georgia? There is some serious money down there. There is serious money in Savannah as well. Georgia has attracted quite a bit of business over the past ten years. Can we say NCR?

I would agree with the general trend that as areas become more urbanized/populated, they do tend to become less conservative in some ways. Why that is, I can't say.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Middle class, according to the government, can go into the six figures. Some would say $30K is middle class. That's way too broad a range to figure how to fix anything. Until the definition is truly defined, politicians will get nowhere. And women who are pregnant will continue to hold off on getting married because of the benefits they get from the government, despite living with the father of the baby and enjoying his income. Talk about skewed stats!
Agreed, but the range is stretched in my thinking primarily because of cost of living figures between states. Here in Ohio, you are solidly middle class if you have an income of $70K or above.

Now, go to NYC or LA or Houston or even Atlanta. You aren't going to be able to live as well on $70K a year there as you will here. Housing costs in NYC or LA are astronomical, astronomical throughout California as a matter of fact. Spend some time in Cali, you'll know what I mean. Food costs, very very low there because it is the granola and salad basket in many regions. But gas, housing, insurance, almost every other major living expense you can imagine in at least twice, if not thrice, what it is here. Someone making $70K and living in LA is not doing well.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd have to disagree re: Georgia. Savannah, Valdosta, Thomasville (just north of Tallahassee) and other regions are actually quite well off. Ever drive through Georgia? There is some serious money down there. There is serious money in Savannah as well. Georgia has attracted quite a bit of business over the past ten years. Can we say NCR?
I would agree with the general trend that as areas become more urbanized/populated, they do tend to become less conservative in some ways. Why that is, I can't say.
Honestly. "Did you every drive through there?" I hardly equate driving through anywhere as truly gaining knowledge of a culture.

No ma'am, I'm as ignorant as they come and have no life experiences or professional experiences from which to draw.

Thanks for reminding me why I need a sabbatical from this place.

PS - Suggest you research before posting and basing your knowledge on touristy drive-bys. The income for Savannah and for its county is far less than the US average.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>

Easy explanation: "Californication." That's why Nevada and Colorado have gone blue in the past decade. Same thing in Atlanta...northern urban blacks have moved there. Same thing in Franklin County...an influx over the past 20 years from NE Ohio, Western PA, Western NY and some (like me) from the east coast.
These transplants move to escape high taxes and unemployment, then many of them proceed to vote the same way they always have, being too stupid to realize they're just shifting the original problems to their new location...and subjecting the natives to it.
California transplants have ruined the Las Vegas area. That's a fact.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, but the range is stretched in my thinking primarily because of cost of living figures between states. Here in Ohio, you are solidly middle class if you have an income of $70K or above.
Now, go to NYC or LA or Houston or even Atlanta. You aren't going to be able to live as well on $70K a year there as you will here. Housing costs in NYC or LA are astronomical, astronomical throughout California as a matter of fact. Spend some time in Cali, you'll know what I mean. Food costs, very very low there because it is the granola and salad basket in many regions. But gas, housing, insurance, almost every other major living expense you can imagine in at least twice, if not thrice, what it is here. Someone making $70K and living in LA is not doing well.
And no ma'am, I have never spent time in Cali nor would I have family who lives there. I'm just an ignorant buffoon from Dublin, Ohio /s.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
The article you posted what quick to point out that voting Republican does not necessarily equate with being conservative.
It's not the only article on this subject. The statement I was making is that Alabama is the most conservative state in the union.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
In these counties, 1 of 3 children live in poverty. If you look at the demographics, I'm not at all sure these counties are conservative and vote Republican.
http://gbpi.org/georgia-5th-highest-poverty-i...
The argument of conservative = poor is a very broad, media-driven political tool.
I'm not only taking media reports into consideration. As I stated in a previous post, my hometown is very conservative and is very poor. Most of the regions around my hometown are the same.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
Nope what? I can speak to where I'm from, which is southeastern Ohio. I know the unemployment rate is high and I know most people there are conservative.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly. "Did you every drive through there?" I hardly equate driving through anywhere as truly gaining knowledge of a culture.
No ma'am, I'm as ignorant as they come and have no life experiences or professional experiences from which to draw.
Thanks for reminding me why I need a sabbatical from this place.
PS - Suggest you research before posting and basing your knowledge on touristy drive-bys. The income for Savannah and for its county is far less than the US average.
Wow. Panties in a wad?

Not touristy drive-bys.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/S...
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/C...

Compare the two.

Maybe you do need to reconsider why you come here. I am, was, being respectful. I am also quite intelligent, have a college education, have been well-traveled, and don't whine. Have a nice day, M'AM. Your post was rude and flippant, quite surprising as a matter of fact.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Easy explanation: "Californication." That's why Nevada and Colorado have gone blue in the past decade. Same thing in Atlanta...northern urban blacks have moved there. Same thing in Franklin County...an influx over the past 20 years from NE Ohio, Western PA, Western NY and some (like me) from the east coast.
These transplants move to escape high taxes and unemployment, then many of them proceed to vote the same way they always have, being too stupid to realize they're just shifting the original problems to their new location...and subjecting the natives to it.
California transplants have ruined the Las Vegas area. That's a fact.
I'd have to agree. Move the body, don't move the mindset.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mississippi isn't exactly a wealthy state. West Virginia, although having a democratic governor, is not a wealthy state and most areas are impoverished and conservative. Where I am from has a very high unemployment rate and the majority of people vote conservatively. Alabama is the most conservative state in the union and has a 17.3% poverty rate. I wouldn't say that's success.
The most conservative state is UTAH.

It has the lowest "income inequality" of any state, the most "unequal" state is D dominated New York.

Note the race differential in Alabama, most of the poor are blacks and vote D.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope what? I can speak to where I'm from, which is southeastern Ohio. I know the unemployment rate is high and I know most people there are conservative.
http://www.uakron.edu/dotAsset/2108193.jpg

Note the two dark blue counties, compared to Central, NW and SE Ohio, SE Ohio (Appalachia) is mostly a swing region of the state.

It has only one "solid R" county, and most of the area voted for Ted Strickland.

The area isn't that conservative, it was represented in Congress for most of the last two decades by Democrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Ho...

In 2012, Wilson (D) ran a competitive election.

The unemployment rate is mostly due to the end of large scale mining, it would be a tenuous to say that it's because of the area's "conservative politics"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously places that are wealthy are going to be more conservative. But it seems there are many places that are the polar opposite wealth-wise and they are also very conservative.
Obama won most of the 10 wealthiest counties.

By and large, conservatism is a white middle class ideology.

Most of the wealthy GOP donors are only conservative in that they want lower taxes for business growth. Sheldon Adelson ($$$$) is a notorious example.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49726054

The only of the wealthiest that didn't go D are in New Jersey, ironic....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you can't stereotype. But when it comes to some states being primarily conservative, many of them do not have low unemployment rates or high standards of living. As I replied in another post, my hometown is a very poor area, has a high unemployment rate and the area is primarily conservative. I would say for most of southeastern Ohio this is the case.
Of the four biggest states, Texas is the most conservative and has the lowest unemployment.

In the Midwest, the most liberal state, Illinois, has the highest unemployment rate.

Even higher than Michigan.

In the states with the lowest unemployment, only Vermont features as a liberal state.

When considering that if PR was a state, it would almost certainly elect all Ds, it has worse unemployment and poverty than all US states.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd have to agree. Move the body, don't move the mindset.
If one is forced to move to California, you better bring mindsets to spare.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The unemployment rate is mostly due to the end of large scale mining, it would be a tenuous to say that it's because of the area's "conservative politics"
That thought came to my mind.

I've always wondered though, why no industry has ever been swayed to go there. Admittedly, much less population/workers, but land is available and could be developed. I've always wondered why especially SE Ohio just never attracted new business or industry.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always wondered though, why no industry has ever been swayed to go there. Admittedly, much less population/workers, but land is available and could be developed. I've always wondered why especially SE Ohio just never attracted new business or industry.
Terrain, it's hilly not flat.

The water tastes different.

Industry mainly locates along the river, transport on barges.

I have no clue how much this plays a role, but I'm guessing that drug use rates are higher there. Most employers demand that applicants pass a drug test.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
No in-place infrastructure. Water, sewer and power lines cost money. So do roads. Look what Wexner had to do on the NE side of the county to accommodate his dreams. And that was in an urban area.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
If one is forced to move to California, you better bring mindsets to spare.
LMAO!! No doubt. Emerald Triangle comes to mind.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!! No doubt. Emerald Triangle comes to mind.
I was thinking of bringing more brains to offset all of the illegal voters, but that works too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 100 of481
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 9 min Wait what 59
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 10 min Pale Rider 2,700
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 52 min Pope Che Reagan Christ I 28,457
Would you allow Obama's mother to use contracep... 1 hr Duke for Mayor 10
Syphilis cases on the rise again in Columbus 1 hr Duke for Mayor 8
IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities 1 hr Duke for Mayor 6
Iraq - The George W. Bush War 3 hr Reality speaks 136
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••