Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Depends on what you mean by "region." Metro Detroit is hardly conservative. Ditto St. Louis. The northern half of Maine isn't conservative. Mississippi's 2nd congressional district is one of the poorest and blackest in the country.
The most conservative states are Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Utah and Alaska. None of them are poverty stricken.
Mississippi isn't exactly a wealthy state. West Virginia, although having a democratic governor, is not a wealthy state and most areas are impoverished and conservative. Where I am from has a very high unemployment rate and the majority of people vote conservatively. Alabama is the most conservative state in the union and has a 17.3% poverty rate. I wouldn't say that's success.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
George is on target.
Take a look at some of the metro regions of Ohio: Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, and even Cinci and Cbus.
Toledo? Inner city, quite poor. Very liberal, they keep voting in Marcy Kaptur.
Dayton? Just drive down I75 and take the 35 East exit. Drive down Keowee St. or Linden, better yet, drive through the west side, near where the old McCall's printing plant was. Very liberal areas. Take a look at Mayor McHat.
Cbus? Ever been to the far east side, near Whitehall? Quite liberal, quite poor.
But then, go to the suburbs. Toledo burbs, Dayton burbs, Columbus burbs--plenty of affluence. Particularly the burbs between Cinci and Dayton. Lots of money down there.
Michigan? Detroit, poorer than hell in the city. Leave Detroit, and most of Michigan is rather conservative, particularly in the north.
The heavily populated regions often carry a state in the general elections. Look at what happened in Ohio past presidential election.
You can't apply stereotypes. Southern states follow often the same pattern I believe. Atlanta is not conservative, and has a huge population and yet much of rural Georgia is very conservative. And while there are poor all over the place, rural Georgia can't be painted with a broad swath as being "poor." Many solid middle class and upper class in the rural south.
No, you can't stereotype. But when it comes to some states being primarily conservative, many of them do not have low unemployment rates or high standards of living. As I replied in another post, my hometown is a very poor area, has a high unemployment rate and the area is primarily conservative. I would say for most of southeastern Ohio this is the case.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
No they are not.
The poorest regions of this country are Indian Reservations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_pr...
The darkest of the blue is a Reservation, and trades places with another reservation for status of "poorest county"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lowest-i...
Wikipedia is hardly a resource for information. If you look up each state's government website, you will receive more accurate information.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
George is on target.
Take a look at some of the metro regions of Ohio: Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, and even Cinci and Cbus.
Toledo? Inner city, quite poor. Very liberal, they keep voting in Marcy Kaptur.
Dayton? Just drive down I75 and take the 35 East exit. Drive down Keowee St. or Linden, better yet, drive through the west side, near where the old McCall's printing plant was. Very liberal areas. Take a look at Mayor McHat.
Cbus? Ever been to the far east side, near Whitehall? Quite liberal, quite poor.
But then, go to the suburbs. Toledo burbs, Dayton burbs, Columbus burbs--plenty of affluence. Particularly the burbs between Cinci and Dayton. Lots of money down there.
Michigan? Detroit, poorer than hell in the city. Leave Detroit, and most of Michigan is rather conservative, particularly in the north.
The heavily populated regions often carry a state in the general elections. Look at what happened in Ohio past presidential election.
You can't apply stereotypes. Southern states follow often the same pattern I believe. Atlanta is not conservative, and has a huge population and yet much of rural Georgia is very conservative. And while there are poor all over the place, rural Georgia can't be painted with a broad swath as being "poor." Many solid middle class and upper class in the rural south.
Georgia IS very poor, outside of Atlanta and a few other cities. The state of Georgia is often separate - in many ways - from the cities. And Atlanta is no longer a Southern city - people who live there have brought their money from elsewhere. And many of those people, those transplants, are quite liberal. There are many gay folk in Atlanta, for instance, these days.

UA is very liberal and Dublin, traditionally conservative, is quickly becoming liberal as well as more and more transplants move in from other places. We are in the midst of everything being turned upside down.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mississippi isn't exactly a wealthy state. West Virginia, although having a democratic governor, is not a wealthy state and most areas are impoverished and conservative. Where I am from has a very high unemployment rate and the majority of people vote conservatively. Alabama is the most conservative state in the union and has a 17.3% poverty rate. I wouldn't say that's success.
The most conservative state is Oklahoma, by far.
Extreme poverty rates are found in states with large numbers of rural minorities...Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and New Mexico.
The national rate is 15.0%. The conservative states of Nebraska, Utah, Idaho, Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota and Kansas are all far below that number.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wikipedia is hardly a resource for information. If you look up each state's government website, you will receive more accurate information.
Wiki is fine when there are links to sources.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Georgia IS very poor, outside of Atlanta and a few other cities. The state of Georgia is often separate - in many ways - from the cities. And Atlanta is no longer a Southern city - people who live there have brought their money from elsewhere. And many of those people, those transplants, are quite liberal. There are many gay folk in Atlanta, for instance, these days.
UA is very liberal and Dublin, traditionally conservative, is quickly becoming liberal as well as more and more transplants move in from other places. We are in the midst of everything being turned upside down.
The big shock for me was seeing all those "UA for Kerry" lawn signs in 2004.
In Franklin County, Hilliard appears to be the center of conservatism.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cities and rural areas are splitting states, and that's what you really need to look at. Delaware County is conservative and they're booming.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Cities and rural areas are splitting states, and that's what you really need to look at. Delaware County is conservative and they're booming.
Yep. 5.2% unemployment.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

<quoted text>The most conservative state is Oklahoma, by far.
Extreme poverty rates are found in states with large numbers of rural minorities...Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and New Mexico.
The national rate is 15.0%. The conservative states of Nebraska, Utah, Idaho, Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota and Kansas are all far below that number.
According to a report that just came out recently, Alabama has taken over as the most conservative state.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/160196/alabama-nor...

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

<quoted text>Wiki is fine when there are links to sources.
Possibly the links are fine, but as a whole it is not a reliable source. Too many take what's on Wikipedia as gospel.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure I can agree with that conclusion.
It begs the issue of "wealth redistribution." And ignoring the fact that the majority of the population isn't in poverty nor in extreme wealth, but middle class.
If I had a magic wand, we'd have a viable third party. One less focused on social issues and power grabs, one more focused on limited government and sane taxation and expenditures, with accountability and transparency. One of the reasons we're in the pickle we are now is the strangle hold of the Dems on the presidency and the stranglehold the repubs have on Congress. We're getting nothing done, and Congressional repubs seem to lack any strategy. Look at this issue of sequestration and what happened this week. Another "extension," another "compromise," the can got kicked down the road a bit further to actually be resolved with the FY14 budget.
Not the traditional "conservative" though. I don't really think pulling the taxpayer's attention onto social issues such as gay marriage and off of fiscal issues right now is a great strategy. It's not resolving anything, just dividing us further. Both sides are in a major ideological war, and no one is winning. I don't mean to take this discussion off on a segue of gay marriage, either. Adults today, like those in Congress and our President, have severely limited attention spans... and go for the easy way into a disagreement instead of looking for areas of consensus to work with. It's "more fun" to live with indecisiveness and argumentativeness than doing the "right thing" and focusing on the most threatening, pressing problems and resolving them.
Middle class, according to the government, can go into the six figures. Some would say $30K is middle class. That's way too broad a range to figure how to fix anything. Until the definition is truly defined, politicians will get nowhere. And women who are pregnant will continue to hold off on getting married because of the benefits they get from the government, despite living with the father of the baby and enjoying his income. Talk about skewed stats!

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously places that are wealthy are going to be more conservative. But it seems there are many places that are the polar opposite wealth-wise and they are also very conservative.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Yep. 5.2% unemployment.
And the new builds.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to a report that just came out recently, Alabama has taken over as the most conservative state.
The article you posted what quick to point out that voting Republican does not necessarily equate with being conservative.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Polling is one thing, but voting patterns are another. Oklahoma hasn't had a single county vote Democratic in the past three presidential elections. With a total of 77 counties and two large (1,000,000+) metro areas (OKC and Tulsa) that's quite amazing.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
In these counties, 1 of 3 children live in poverty. If you look at the demographics, I'm not at all sure these counties are conservative and vote Republican.

http://gbpi.org/georgia-5th-highest-poverty-i...

The argument of conservative = poor is a very broad, media-driven political tool.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
And the new builds.
It's an interesting place...there are essential two Delaware counties: North and South. The money is in the Southern half and the jobs for those folks are mainly in Franklin County. I'd put the dividing line at the junction of US-23 and SR-315.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you can't stereotype. But when it comes to some states being primarily conservative, many of them do not have low unemployment rates or high standards of living. As I replied in another post, my hometown is a very poor area, has a high unemployment rate and the area is primarily conservative. I would say for most of southeastern Ohio this is the case.
Nope.

http://www.uakron.edu/bliss/research/biop-2-t...
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
His audience is around 13 million, largest news show in all mediums, considering the size of the country, it isn't that much, but is higher than anyone on TV.
Rush is not a news journalist.

woof

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of481
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Do you agree with Eric Holder that criticism of... 2 min Oliver Canterberry 50
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 3 min Reality Speaks 10
Puppet-OTUS 7 min Reality Speaks 34
Loaded Firearm Found In Carry-On At Port Columbus 11 min Oliver Canterberry 1
Ann Coulter: "White Guilt Has Produced Mistake ... (Sep '12) 21 min La Toya 28
Do you agree with Texas protecting its own border? 27 min Oliver Canterberry 0
Fake passport 46 min Nancy Pelosi 2
•••
•••