Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Westerville, OH

#189 Mar 31, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>OKC was primitive. Truck bombs have been around since World War I. The biggest school massacre was by truck bomb in Michigan in 1927. They were a weapon of choice in the "Troubles" used by the IRA in the '70s and '80s. Then there was the Beirut barracks truck bomb in 1983.
9/11 required :
1) Flight skills
2) Security lapses
3) Intelligence failures
4) Engineering flaws (The Twin Towers)
5) Engineering miracles (The aircraft, pushed beyond their limits)
Again, this isn't really an arguable topic. You asked if I thought something like 9/11 was feasible before it happened. I did believe it was feasible. As primitive as Oklahoma City was, it was still a wake-up call to many Americans about what could happen on our own soil. That's the point that I'm trying to make. In fact, I was more surprised that the terrorists chose such a place that took out a limited amount of lives compared to someplace that they could have easily taken out more such as a stadium during the Super Bowl. I STILL think something like that is feasible.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#190 Mar 31, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of a lot of things. Technology being one of them, yes. We are a long ways away from things of this nature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_l8jsUSFc3IXX
50% chance that's Pallywood

I cannot trust a single thing coming out of Hamas.

Ivy League-ISIS

#191 Mar 31, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, this isn't really an arguable topic. You asked if I thought something like 9/11 was feasible before it happened. I did believe it was feasible. As primitive as Oklahoma City was, it was still a wake-up call to many Americans about what could happen on our own soil. That's the point that I'm trying to make. In fact, I was more surprised that the terrorists chose such a place that took out a limited amount of lives compared to someplace that they could have easily taken out more such as a stadium during the Super Bowl. I STILL think something like that is feasible.
The building was targeted IIRC because it was revenge for the Waco event. The BATFE had offices in there.

The Super Bowl was attacked in another Tom Clancy book, but it's always had far larger security.

The reality is that no western country has ever encountered the divisiveness that exists here and is not going away. Either this country gets a divorce, or we will have a war.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#192 Mar 31, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
To some degree it makes us vulnerable, in other ways it doesn't. I understand that you're thinking worse-case scenario here, but I just don't think we're facing a zombie apocalypse type world. I also think our government and many other governments do have plans in place if something like that were to occur. I totally agree with you on your last point, however. I'm continually disappointed in how ignorant our country is to world events and issues that are happening in our own country. Too many people are fascinated about the wrong things. So despite the two of us having differing politics and other things, I at least respect that you have knowledge about what's going on in the world.
My education and profession make it impossible for me to not pay attention to what goes on in the world. I agree wih you that too many in this country are absolutely consumed by petty and fleeting interests. We have a solid generation of historically illiterate people who aren't going to change.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#193 Mar 31, 2013
<quoted text>Got enough gas to power the generator for the well?
Like I said...I can get it out.

woof

Hilliard, OH

#194 Mar 31, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good point about targets. I always said that a much more crippling attack on us as a society would have been along these lines:
1) On a weekend, say September 8 (the weather was about the same.)
2) Four targets with the four aircraft:
a) Disney World
b) A 100,000 seat stadium during a game (Ohio State or Michigan)
c) The Mall of America in Minneapolis
d) The main shopping center of an average small town (30,000 or so, say, Ottumwa, Iowa) in America. Target the WalMart strip mall.

An attack on those targets would have killed at least 100,000 people and it would have the psychological effect of telling the average American that nowhere in their average, middle class life was safe. It would have destroyed the tourism industry for the better part of a decade and kept people from shopping in large centers.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#195 Apr 1, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The building was targeted IIRC because it was revenge for the Waco event. The BATFE had offices in there.
The Super Bowl was attacked in another Tom Clancy book, but it's always had far larger security.
The reality is that no western country has ever encountered the divisiveness that exists here and is not going away. Either this country gets a divorce, or we will have a war.
Great point but the liberal side (homosexuals, illegals, Africans, ghetto, government "workers") cannot exist without the Christian Conservatives bearing the brunt of taxation, military service, and willingness to have their wealth confiscated without a violent response. In other words, parasites must have a host and we are the host. Obama is about to add 9 million more in granting illegals voting rights to ensure that the liberal agenda will dominant until we have a civil war.

Look what is happening to Columbus after White Flight (1977), the tax base left and now the city is imploding under Coleman, just like happened to D.C. under Marion Berry.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#196 Apr 1, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
To some degree it makes us vulnerable, in other ways it doesn't. I understand that you're thinking worse-case scenario here, but I just don't think we're facing a zombie apocalypse type world. I also think our government and many other governments do have plans in place if something like that were to occur. I totally agree with you on your last point, however. I'm continually disappointed in how ignorant our country is to world events and issues that are happening in our own country. Too many people are fascinated about the wrong things. So despite the two of us having differing politics and other things, I at least respect that you have knowledge about what's going on in the world.
The extent of what George knows about the world comes from TV. He's seen ads for Walking Dead and that other network show where all the technology went out and that is what he thinks is going to really happen in the next 10 years. He's still pissed that Scottie hasn't beamed him up.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#197 Apr 1, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of a lot of things. Technology being one of them, yes. We are a long ways away from things of this nature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_l8jsUSFc3IXX
do liberals now re-define a long ways as 6 months now?

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#198 Apr 1, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
50% chance that's Pallywood
I cannot trust a single thing coming out of Hamas.
I guess it's easier than believing the absolute horror. But you cannot deny that with all the bombings, this isn't a reality.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#199 Apr 1, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't read Tom Clancy books.

And security isn't going to stop a plane from flying into the stadium.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#200 Apr 1, 2013
<quoted text>You make a good point about targets. I always said that a much more crippling attack on us as a society would have been along these lines:
1) On a weekend, say September 8 (the weather was about the same.)
2) Four targets with the four aircraft:
a) Disney World
b) A 100,000 seat stadium during a game (Ohio State or Michigan)
c) The Mall of America in Minneapolis
d) The main shopping center of an average small town (30,000 or so, say, Ottumwa, Iowa) in America. Target the WalMart strip mall.
An attack on those targets would have killed at least 100,000 people and it would have the psychological effect of telling the average American that nowhere in their average, middle class life was safe. It would have destroyed the tourism industry for the better part of a decade and kept people from shopping in large centers.
Disney World was another one of my thoughts that if they wanted to take out a lot of people and really unnerve Americans...

My father and I have these conversations all the time, which is why it was never surprising to me that 9/11 happened. I've been raised by a man who thinks anyone is capable of anything.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#201 Apr 1, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
do liberals now re-define a long ways as 6 months now?
I don't know. I can't speak for all liberals.

Hilliard, OH

#202 Apr 1, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
The extent of what George knows about the world comes from TV. He's seen ads for Walking Dead and that other network show where all the technology went out and that is what he thinks is going to really happen in the next 10 years. He's still pissed that Scottie hasn't beamed him up.
You couldn't sound more like an idiot if you tried. One thing that gives me satisfaction is knowing that you won't be able to last in a major crisis.
When you deal with these folks as part of your job, you let me know:
http://www.army.mil/info/organization/natick/

“Bullsh*% Detector Enabled”

Since: Dec 08

Brooklyn, New York

#203 Apr 1, 2013
Limboob is a complete and full blown moron.

Ivy League-ISIS

#204 Apr 1, 2013
Black Rhino wrote:
Limboob is a complete and full blown moron.
Projection?
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#205 Apr 1, 2013
<quoted text>You couldn't sound more like an idiot if you tried. One thing that gives me satisfaction is knowing that you won't be able to last in a major crisis.
When you deal with these folks as part of your job, you let me know:
http://www.army.mil/info/organization/natick/
I forgot another reason we love Georgie. He gets his balls by living vicariously/parasiticaly through others.
Carl Monday

Columbus, OH

#206 Apr 1, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Projection?
You are dividing by zero again.

Hilliard, OH

#207 Apr 1, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot another reason we love Georgie. He gets his balls by living vicariously/parasiticaly through others.
If you mean by helping people like our military personnel, you're absolutely right.
Too bad a leech like you will never have that satisfaction.

Ivy League-ISIS

#208 Apr 1, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Che, all you do is snipe at other posters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who knows david marcum (Feb '09) 17 min Franklin Magilicutty 11
The Republican Controlled House and Senate 20 min d pantz 54
Censoring Male. 27 min d pantz 26
I found Mr Tea 43 min Parol officer 1
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 53 min Pale Rider 4,803
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 53 min White cop 35
Beef replacing ham, turkey on Christmas dinner ... 56 min Big Johnson 3
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 288
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 8 hr Reality Speaks 337
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance