Next Last

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#1 Jan 24, 2014
By Danielle Elias Thursday January 23, 2014 11:48 PM
UPDATED: Friday January 24, 2014 12:18 AM

LANCASTER, Ohio -
The Fairfield County Sheriff admits his jails are overcrowded. It's forcing some of the inmates to sleep on floors, but he says there is a solution in sight.

One look inside the Fairfield county jail reveals a problem that the sheriff says is only getting worse. It's overcrowded.

Lieutenant Marc Churchill says he keeps a close watch on their surveillance monitors and the activity inside.

"If we have a murderer, we're going to make sure he's locked in a cell, but if we have someone who's in on a F5 theft, we're going to let that person be the one who sleeps outside on a mat," said Lt. Churchill.

Deputies say over the weekend, there was a spike of crime and they had to put down 17 extra mattresses on the floor in the main jail. After arraignments and the court releasing some inmates, they're down to two.

People who work in the jail say overcrowding is a cause for concern.

"I worry about safety with my staff. I worry about safety with the inmates. With that many inmates in a housing unit, tempers flare," said Lt. Churchill.

As it stands now, cameras watch the inmates' every move and jail staff walks the halls.

"They would lay the mats on this side cause we want to make sure we keep the inner area clear for an evacuation," said Lt. Churchill.

Fairfield County Sheriff Dave Phalen says a solution to the problem is long overdue and he says there is now a plan for a new jail.

"This jail will house about four hundred prisoners," said Sheriff Phalen. Pointing to the architect's drawings, he says, "each one of these areas where the prisoners will stay. We'll have areas for females, for males."

The sheriff tells us they are three years away from the completion of one large jail. Right now, the county has three separate jails.

"It's going to be a safer facility. It's going to be a facility that meets not only the needs today, but 20-25 years from now," said Sheriff Phalen.

He says the issue of overcrowding will soon be a problem of the past. For now, he says they'll have to make do.

"This is not the Holiday Inn. This is a county jail and the mattresses are ok," said Sheriff Phalen.

Learn more about a unique feature planned for the new jail by clicking the video on the right. Sheriff Phalen explains why the new $30 million dollar jail will also have a safe room.
2014 by 10TV.com . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#2 Jan 24, 2014
Send them to Duke's house, plenty of room.

Isn't Obama's house empty in Chicago? Send them to Chicago.

Plenty of room in Detroit too!
They cannot kill a Spook

United States

#3 Jan 24, 2014
Why don't the Wolfe family just send a ho down to blow Dave "fail'n" Phalen. They always kiss his ass. The man is incompetent. He has yet to ever be within budget. Every year he goes running to the County Commissioners for more money.

Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#4 Jan 24, 2014
Jail inmates get floors now?

It is time to stop coddling these criminals!

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#5 Jan 24, 2014
Big Johnson wrote:
Jail inmates get floors now?
It is time to stop coddling these criminals!
Damn skippy!
They provided mattresses for them.
d pantz

United States

#6 Jan 24, 2014
Probably mostly non violent offenders too. A friend told me in court they let a sex offender out on bond and set an astronomical bond for someone who had a pound of weed ..... this was in portage county....
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#7 Jan 24, 2014
d pantz wrote:
Probably mostly non violent offenders too. A friend told me in court they let a sex offender out on bond and set an astronomical bond for someone who had a pound of weed ..... this was in portage county....
Were they certified scales that weighed the weed? In Fairfield county that pound would be written down on the report as 5 pounds but the evidence would magically have evaporative loss.
d pantz

United States

#8 Jan 24, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
Were they certified scales that weighed the weed? In Fairfield county that pound would be written down on the report as 5 pounds but the evidence would magically have evaporative loss.
he's my lawyer and I didn't ask him but it was one his clients.. he said they lost his (the suspect) written citation too. So they probably did smoke some of it LOL! Isn't it funny how you have to have all your ducks in a row and they can just jack you around, failing to do their job and answer to no one?
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#9 Jan 24, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> he's my lawyer and I didn't ask him but it was one his clients.. he said they lost his (the suspect) written citation too. So they probably did smoke some of it LOL! Isn't it funny how you have to have all your ducks in a row and they can just jack you around, failing to do their job and answer to no one?
More like sickening instead of funny. Take the texting law. Cops not.only can text but many have a laptop mounted so that it is open all the time. Evidence goes missing, when someone is charged with "inducing panic" the only ones panicking are cops.
another one

United States

#10 Jan 24, 2014
<quoted text>
More like sickening instead of funny. Take the texting law. Cops not.only can text but many have a laptop mounted so that it is open all the time. Evidence goes missing, when someone is charged with "inducing panic" the only ones panicking are cops.
if you have a knife and they ask you why you have it and you say "just to keep" ,that's instantly translated to a concealed weapon. No no no... you didn't ask me if I was planning to attack somebody. I could go on with 1000 reasons to use it besides that. I had one of these idiots try to say I had one concealed when he shined his flashlight on it from out side of the car.. it was in plain sight. Judge had to throw that charge out but still was illegally detained and searched simply for smelling like cologne . The only reason I was pulled over in the first place was I had a headlight out. That shit took a whole hour and they didn't find shit.. probably why they tried to bs about the knife. Thank god for the dash cam. They did cut the video short ... somehow the part where they opened my trunk wasn't on the video. When I refused the search and asked to be free to go, they said no because I "looked nervous and the cologne was a "masking agent" . I also had a mm marijuana charge when I was 20 so that didn't help. Judge said they had probable cause. Guilty of smelling like cologne. Too bad I cant afford to prosecute them back. I was thinking about filing a complaint to the aclu Ohio . But ireally can't now that I've publicly talked about it.
d pantz

United States

#11 Jan 24, 2014
To punish and enslave....
d pantz

United States

#12 Jan 24, 2014
<quoted text>
funny how they ask questions and then tell people to "calm down" when they are perfectly calm answering.
d pantz

United States

#13 Jan 24, 2014
Next thing you know they're telling you to put your hands on your head without telling you're under arrest. Don't dare ask them why before doing it or you might get tasered to death. http://m.youtube.com/watch...
These cops were acquitted of all charges and they refused to even prosecute the third..
d pantz

United States

#14 Jan 24, 2014
&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player
If you're in a calm peaceful mood right now and you don't want to ruin it... skip this. Its pretty disturbing and this stuff happens a lot. If you do watch this link I suggest reading the comments.
d pantz

United States

#15 Jan 24, 2014
I tear up when the guy cries for his dad... btw his dad is an ex police officer.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#16 Jan 25, 2014
d pantz wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1po6Sic5lOUXX&feature=you tube_gdata_player
If you're in a calm peaceful mood right now and you don't want to ruin it... skip this. Its pretty disturbing and this stuff happens a lot. If you do watch this link I suggest reading the comments.
That was messed up. I was hoping those bystanders would have grabbed bats or something and beat the crap out of every one of those cops.

It's pretty sad that this is what the world has come down to today when the cops can just do whatever they want to you and get away with it. And then they wonder why people are afraid to even pull over for them.
d pantz

United States

#17 Jan 25, 2014
Catman Dave wrote:
<quoted text> That was messed up. I was hoping those bystanders would have grabbed bats or something and beat the crap out of every one of those cops.
It's pretty sad that this is what the world has come down to today when the cops can just do whatever they want to you and get away with it. And then they wonder why people are afraid to even pull over for them.
hello friend. Nice to hear from new people on here... especially when they're polite like you.
I know it was terrible and there are so many more like this. I grew up in a craphole called Akron Ohio.... and believe it or not , while I've seen fights (hate to see them too) I've never seen anybody get jumped. I don't know what I would do (instinct has kicked in before).. I know its almost impossible to even watch. Will you sign petition for me. I will link it on this thread next post. This needs to be a national investigation on how police respect our god given rights protected by the constitution, and not dealt with case by case where the criminal bullies get a slap on the wrist and the tax payer pays restitution when settlement are paid (most times nothing is done, like this case..) All the best to
you and yours....
D pantz....
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#18 Jan 25, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> hello friend. Nice to hear from new people on here... especially when they're polite like you.
I know it was terrible and there are so many more like this. I grew up in a craphole called Akron Ohio.... and believe it or not , while I've seen fights (hate to see them too) I've never seen anybody get jumped. I don't know what I would do (instinct has kicked in before).. I know its almost impossible to even watch. Will you sign petition for me. I will link it on this thread next post. This needs to be a national investigation on how police respect our god given rights protected by the constitution, and not dealt with case by case where the criminal bullies get a slap on the wrist and the tax payer pays restitution when settlement are paid (most times nothing is done, like this case..) All the best to
you and yours....
D pantz....
You should join the ACLU.
d pantz

United States

#19 Jan 25, 2014
d pantz

United States

#20 Jan 25, 2014
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
You should join the ACLU.
currently a member of the Ohio chapter. Although I don't like their guidelines for filing complaints. You can't go public... why????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
COPS lives MATTER 1 min d pantz 5
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 7 min d pantz 341
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 24 min Pope Che Reagan C... 304
End of Life on Earth 2 hr Reality Speaks 11
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 3 hr Male 79
BLACK lives MATTER 3 hr Neutral Party 47
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 3 hr Neutral Party 4,824
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:01 am PST

CBS Sports 5:01AM