Upper Arlington repeals parking-permit law for streets near Lane Avenue | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Permit parking sought by those living north of Lane Avenue was denied last night by a 6-1 vote of the Upper Arlington City Council, at least for now.
Comments
1 - 20 of 64 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jake

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

Note to the Upper Arlington City Council members: Do not bother running for reelection, as the residents will dump all of you except for Yasenoff. You have degraded the excellence of our special city by not caring about the needs of the citizens who elect you.
Sum Tim Wong

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

What do you expect if you buy a house within one block of Lane Ave?
It is the same as N. High St. through Clintonville.
You are going to have traffic & parking issues.
Look at Third St. in German village or Sawmill.
DUH!
Aunionmember

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

"I don't understand how the city council can do such a poor job of representing the people," said resident Tim Lane, imploring that the council "do something."

Follow the money. It's all about money.
AmeriForce

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

Sum Tim Wong wrote:
What do you expect if you buy a house within one block of Lane Ave?
It is the same as N. High St. through Clintonville.
You are going to have traffic & parking issues.
Look at Third St. in German village or Sawmill.
DUH!
If someonme "just" bought a house there, I would agree with you. However, Tte majority of these people have lived in their house for years - long before Lane Ave. became the business district it is today. How would you address them THEIR concerns?
Juan Hetor

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

Remember them at election time. Vote them out.
Ohioan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

"A holistic solution for the entire community" is the goal, said Councilman David DeCapua. "Give it a chance."

Wow, talk about talking down through your nose at people. What exactly is a "holistic" solution anyway? It is it a nonsense catch phrase like a 'synergy' or something? It it a solution filled with holes kind've like swiss cheese? People are dying to know DeCapua.
Steve Irwin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

AmeriForce wrote:
<quoted text>
If someonme "just" bought a house there, I would agree with you. However, Tte majority of these people have lived in their house for years - long before Lane Ave. became the business district it is today. How would you address them THEIR concerns?
Things change, deal with it. If you can't, then move. Plenty of cheap real estate available.
FCF

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

AmeriForce wrote:
<quoted text>
I've lived in Arlington all my life and Lane Ave Shopping Center has been there for decades. You buy near commercial, you take the risk. That's why I didn't buy near Lane.
FCF

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

Jake wrote:
Note to the Upper Arlington City Council members: Do not bother running for reelection, as the residents will dump all of you except for Yasenoff. You have degraded the excellence of our special city by not caring about the needs of the citizens who elect you.
They are elected by all the citizens of UA, not just one area. Most of the people in UA are supportive of the changes on Lane.

Since: Dec 09

Coshocton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

Lane Ave. has always been a main thoroughfare between 315 and Riverside. The Shoppes at Lane Ave. have been around for 30+ years, but they went through a redevelopment a few years ago. Now these residents are trying to put thriving businesses out of business by making their district dry. I am happy the Council has stood up to the loony fringe.
Very Good

Clifton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

They should try living on campus during football season.
Disgusted

Versailles, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

The vast majority are out of here anyways. Why should they care?

City manager Barney is leaving on December 31.

Ciotola, Krauss, and Seidel are in the midst of their second terms. They can't be reelected.

Steen (also in his second term) shouldn't even be on council, as he just hired on as Cuyahoga County's Finance Director. State law says you can't hold two public offices at the same time. How is he getting away with this?

Yassenoff, DeCapua and Johnson are on their first terms.
Phillip

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

This is great! We don't need the government telling people where they can and cannot park in Upper Arlington.
NIMBYism

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

AmeriForce wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, have you even been to the area? As others have pointed out Lane Ave Shopping Center has been around for decades and Lane Ave and serves as a major east/west corridor for the entire area and ALWAYS has.
Of course it's significance could have been reduced if the other NIMBY crowd up on Zollinger would have allowed a connector to Ackerman.
So what you are saying is that the two new commercial buildings(one story, maybe what four or five business??) caused the entire road to go from a quiet residential road to a roaring business district? Amazing and absolutely incorrect. I suggest you get off the internet and actually visit the area before say such ludicrous things.
Pete

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

AmeriForce wrote:
<quoted text>
Tte majority of these people have lived in their house for years - long before Lane Ave.
Lane Ave. Center was started in 1950. I can't believe the "majority" have lived there since the 40s.
Have to call BS on that.

How would you address them THEIR concerns?

MOVE
cbus614

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

johnhancock36 wrote:
Lane Ave. has always been a main thoroughfare between 315 and Riverside. The Shoppes at Lane Ave. have been around for 30+ years, but they went through a redevelopment a few years ago. Now these residents are trying to put thriving businesses out of business by making their district dry. I am happy the Council has stood up to the loony fringe.
I'm a UA resident...and I completely agree with you.
heather

Coshocton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

It's not just about the streets becoming a parking lot. The city has been continually lying to the residents for the past two years. On several occasions promises were made that were broken. The city directed the developer to find alternative parking. When he didn't, the city did nothing. The city told the residents that if parking became a problem they could get the permit signs. The city was ready to return the signs until the developer threatened to sue then they did a 180. The city had a 60,000 traffic study done two years ago and promised calming measures. They did nothing. Now they're doing another 60,000 traffic study and are promising calming measures. Why should the residents trust a bunch of liars?
Daily Customer

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

Jake wrote:
And what, pray tell, is so "special" about your city? Uppity Arlingtonites need to get over themselves. You don't own the streets you live on. If you don't want people turning around in your driveways, put a couple of traffic cones at the end of your driveway. If you don't want visitors to park their cars in front of your house, park your own cars there. It's not rocket science, folks. Keep in mind though - UA needs all the commercial property tax it can get unless you want residents to pick up the entire tab.
uares

Coshocton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

If Virginia Barney had acted on the traffic study from 2 years ago there wouldn't have been a need for this whole dang mess. Thank god she's retiring, she's an administrative mess. The Tremont rezoning is a classic example. Where are those medical buildings you promised, Ginny? Why is that commercial property being taxed at residential rates? Don't you think the schools could use that money, Ginny?
fiery buddha

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2011

Judged:

You think UA residents would shut up and be grateful for the taxes these businesses are generating, because last I heard, they REALLY need corporate taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 5 min Pale Rider 3,184
10 Investigates: Teachers Caught Recording, Con... 14 min They cannot kill ... 3
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 45 min Duke for Mayor 30,440
RIP Ashley Stevens 2 hr E-Bob 2
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 13 hr Truth 2,281
The Michael Brown Case 15 hr Duke for Mayor 49
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 17 hr Male 259

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••