12 local schools on state's 'worst' l...

12 local schools on state's 'worst' list | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 22 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 4, 2010, titled 12 local schools on state's 'worst' list | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Twelve central Ohio schools are listed among the worst 5 percent in the state. They include six Columbus City Schools: Linden-McKinley, West and Welcome Center high schools Champion and Southmoor middle schools Weinland Park Elementary Charter schools The six other central Ohio schools in the list of the state's worst are charters: Newark: Newark ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

Columbus, OH

#22 Feb 4, 2010
I lay the blame squarely on the administrations. Many want and do blame the teachers but who hires the teachers? Who is responsible for managing the money for the schools? The administration.
Taking a hard look at the administrations, all of them not just CPS, and demanding that they live up to the jobs they've been given, i.e. hiring competent teachers and providing the students with a decent learning environment, will go a long way toward improving the schools and helping the kids to learn and improve themselves.
As far as parents go, there has to be much more participation but how to make that happen is beyond me. There are too many parents that view school as daycare only and view their children as accouterments or even nuisances and that has to stop.
Julie

Cleveland, OH

#23 Oct 19, 2013
Thomas Paine wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for revealing the most powerful myth in urban education. Placing a high value on education is not something exclusively held by middle class and wealthy parents. Take five minutes and educate yourself. Read Annette LaReau Home Advantage or Unequal Childhoods to educate yourself. But I'm guessing that instead of placing a high value on educating yourself it is easier for you to just complain and repeat themes that make you feel better about yourself.
Maybe instead of just reading books to attempt to educate yourself on something you know nothing about, try working in one of the bottom 5% inner-city schools to see how much education is/ isn't valued. There's no sense of pride in oneself or for the institution of education. Until you've worked on the front lines, why don't you keep your nose in a book and your comments to yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republican Politicians have Courted Rascism FOR... 3 min d pants 96
Finally, Donald Trump Ousted from KKKloset 10 min Mojo Risen 86
Media Stunned President Trump Support Stronge... 1 hr 404 not found 2
News Pelotonia 17 1 hr The Swinging Light 11
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 2 hr Alternative Facts... 1,246
Vinegar Is Racist 3 hr d pants 7
wow. 50% of Marriages Fail in US 3 hr Reality Speaks 77
Why Ask about Obama? America has Only One Presi... 3 hr Reality Speaks 150
Trump Will Win Again in 2020 5 hr Reality Speaks 84

Columbus Jobs