Obamacare Solves This...How?

Posted in the Columbus Forum

“Seven Days In May”

Since: Oct 13

Hilliard, OH

#1 Feb 13, 2014
LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3)-- As a county run hospital, University Medical Center cannot refuse treatment to anyone, regardless of their ability to pay.

In December alone, 900 dialysis treatments were done on undocumented residents. They are uninsured, and the extensive treatment for their kidneys is not being paid for.

UMC is treating more than 20 undocumented residents with dialysis every day in the emergency room, and they come twice a week. The process takes about four hours.

"What you're doing is filtering all the blood in your body through an artificial kidney which is the dialysis, and so that huge machine is doing what your kidneys usually do," said UMC Chief of Staff, Dr. Dale Carrison.

Carrison says these patients' kidneys are failing mainly for three reasons: congenital, uncontrolled blood pressure or uncontrolled diabetes. He estimates the average age is in the 40s.

"As I sit here as an old guy, none of these dialysis patients are going to live to be my age, they're going to die. they're going to die early," Carrison said.

By law, they must be seen, with or without financial reimbursement to UMC.

"So we have this population fo undocumented that are coming here and if we don't care for them they die. From a human standpoint we do it, but it costs a huge amount of money," Carrison said.

Carrison estimates $10 million to $12 million a year and under state law the hospital can file claims for partial reimbursement but he says hundreds of those claims have not produced a dime, yet.

"Our community says,'Well UMC is losing money'. Well what do you do? Throw these people away? Let them die? And when does that stop?" Carrison said.

Most of the patients, Carrison says, live here in the valley and most likely will stay, and that UMC will continue to treat them.

"We are here for everybody and that's the beauty of UMC," Carrison said.

He says he hopes eventually some medicaid reimbursement arrives.

Otherwise, he hopes a hospital district could be formed; or a better immigration policy would be created to improve this situation.
http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/sto...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Feb 13, 2014
Trayvonius Martinez wrote:
LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3)-- As a county run hospital, University Medical Center cannot refuse treatment to anyone, regardless of their ability to pay.
In December alone, 900 dialysis treatments were done on undocumented residents. They are uninsured, and the extensive treatment for their kidneys is not being paid for.
UMC is treating more than 20 undocumented residents with dialysis every day in the emergency room, and they come twice a week. The process takes about four hours.
"What you're doing is filtering all the blood in your body through an artificial kidney which is the dialysis, and so that huge machine is doing what your kidneys usually do," said UMC Chief of Staff, Dr. Dale Carrison.
Carrison says these patients' kidneys are failing mainly for three reasons: congenital, uncontrolled blood pressure or uncontrolled diabetes. He estimates the average age is in the 40s.
"As I sit here as an old guy, none of these dialysis patients are going to live to be my age, they're going to die. they're going to die early," Carrison said.
By law, they must be seen, with or without financial reimbursement to UMC.
"So we have this population fo undocumented that are coming here and if we don't care for them they die. From a human standpoint we do it, but it costs a huge amount of money," Carrison said.
Carrison estimates $10 million to $12 million a year and under state law the hospital can file claims for partial reimbursement but he says hundreds of those claims have not produced a dime, yet.
"Our community says,'Well UMC is losing money'. Well what do you do? Throw these people away? Let them die? And when does that stop?" Carrison said.
Most of the patients, Carrison says, live here in the valley and most likely will stay, and that UMC will continue to treat them.
"We are here for everybody and that's the beauty of UMC," Carrison said.
He says he hopes eventually some medicaid reimbursement arrives.
Otherwise, he hopes a hospital district could be formed; or a better immigration policy would be created to improve this situation.
http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/local/sto...
UMC is just one of many, many hospitals across the country that are experiencing the same kind of financial loss, which, of course, carries over the the salaries paid the staff and even the quality of care.

You can't purchase the latest and most uptodate C-scan or MRI machine when you are losing money like this. Repairing them is even very costly. And that, in turn, hurts the smaller community hopsitals that are in the practive of buying up the used machines from the larger hospitals.

I heard an estimate that by 2020 5 out of every 10 hospital patients will be either completely uninsured and non-paying or receiving their health care through government subsidy.

Yes, they are health providers first, but they have to also operate as a business. The whole system is going to come crashing down due to lack of funds and doctors. "Get your affairs in order" will be emblazed above the door of every hospital and healthcare provider.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#3 Feb 13, 2014
when insurance paid bills, it was triggered when the patient submitted bills for reimbursement. Patient paid first.

people purchased insurance as odds against risk.

do you have insurance on your car for oil changes and fill up's?

why not?

all the useless paperwork created by government, and the discount payment 90 days after submitted, is a reason for elevated cost in healthcare.

And how did we get to the spot where humans don't take loans out to fix themselves, but do on tires and rims?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 13, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
when insurance paid bills, it was triggered when the patient submitted bills for reimbursement. Patient paid first.
people purchased insurance as odds against risk.
do you have insurance on your car for oil changes and fill up's?
why not?
all the useless paperwork created by government, and the discount payment 90 days after submitted, is a reason for elevated cost in healthcare.
And how did we get to the spot where humans don't take loans out to fix themselves, but do on tires and rims?
I only get billed after the insurance has paid their portion.

I more than agree on the paperwork requirements and SLOW payment. I know a doc that had over $250,000. outstanding from Medicare for over three years.

My own GP said to me on my last 'wellness visit'...THEY want you to more for less! She was very frustrated.

You know what bothers me more? The complete loss of privacy regarding our medical records and information. Does anyone understand how dangerous this is and my be used against individuals in the future? What ever happened to HIPPA laws?

Government has gotten way too intrusive and it is going to bite us hard.
race pimp

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 13, 2014
obama solves the question of considering if blacks are capable of any higher civilization responsibilities. He is the example. The content of his character has less substance than a fart.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 13, 2014
race pimp wrote:
obama solves the question of considering if blacks are capable of any higher civilization responsibilities. He is the example. The content of his character has less substance than a fart.
Obama proves Academia folk skipped the class called Reality.

They only think they know, and give lectures.

Small business owners with employees have a doctorate in the school of hard knocks.

Academia crowd think they wrote the book.

Obama demonstrates daily his lack of leadership skills, and race had nothing to do with it.

His lack of character is his doing.

Had he ever been employed in the private sector, he would respect his current employer a lot more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 12 min Male 4,571
impeachment 16 min Duke for Mayor 62
Columbus earmarks $1 million to fight smelly water 20 min Duke for Mayor 8
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 1 hr Reality 2,518
Anyone have Bill Cosby stay over? 1 hr ban Cosby 9
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 3 hr Anonymous 997
Catman Dave how are the Cats and everyone eles'... 3 hr They cannot kill ... 1
BizzyBee Catman Gokeefe et al 4 hr They cannot kill ... 96
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:55 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:55PM
Grading Houston's Positional Units in Week 12
Bleacher Report 4:06 PM
Is Josh Gordon a WR1 for Week 13 and Fantasy Football Playoffs?
Bleacher Report 4:56 PM
Start Bernard or Hill in Week 13?
NFL 6:38 PM
Texans' Ryan Mallett might have torn right pectoral
ESPN 7:14 PM
Source: Texans' Mallet played with pec injury