Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 18, 2013
It is amusing to watch a commercial by Urban of OSU reading script for an education spot. No fluency...reads each word individually with no sign of his connecting it the next word...like a 3rd grader who has been trained in phonics.

Location hidden

#2 Sep 18, 2013
connecting it TO the next word. I have the same problem as Urban in typing.

Pastor suck.

Location hidden

#5 Sep 18, 2013
Florence Charte wrote:
<quoted text>
Your anal reading skills need polished... you're talking out your ass.
Do you know Janelle of Reynoldsburg. She is the wind of ass.

Anyway. My thought for this topic was: Topix is basically an insult romper room. But, I think it's more interesting to consider who on Topix is actually able to make fun of themselves...or seriously engage in self-criticism.

For example. On one hand George will pump what a superior college he went to: Colby. On the other hand, I will admit that I went to crappy school: Capital. And, then it goes down hill from there. Think West High School.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#6 Sep 18, 2013
A lot of Oral Skills are being taught and practiced in public schools today, it just ain't reading.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#7 Sep 18, 2013
The title of this thread is sooooo wrong. Minds can go in so many directions. Okay, maybe just mine.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#9 Sep 18, 2013
Pr Jonah wrote:
It is amusing to watch a commercial by Urban of OSU reading script for an education spot. No fluency...reads each word individually with no sign of his connecting it the next word...like a 3rd grader who has been trained in phonics.
I've found in my life that there is usually an inverse relationship between public speaking skills and genuineness and charisma. The people who tend to be great charismatic public speakers tend to make me feel dirty in person (think of Bobby Kennedy's recent comments about Sharpton and Jesse Jackson). And the people who aren't as adroit giving public speakers tend to be the genuine people who people are most loyal to.

You of all people should be able to understand this phenomenon as some of the most glib members of clergy are the most repulsive people in real life.

Urban and Tressel are both known as bonding with their players. Neither is a particularly good public speaker, though Urban does a good job when talking to Ohio football coaches when he's talking off the cuff.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#10 Sep 18, 2013
Spooktackular kcus sllotr wrote:
<quoted text>
Get your mind out of the gutter
Please accept my apologies. I'll eat a hot dog for dinner...

Location hidden

#12 Sep 18, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I've found in my life that there is usually an inverse relationship between public speaking skills and genuineness and charisma. The people who tend to be great charismatic public speakers tend to make me feel dirty in person (think of Bobby Kennedy's recent comments about Sharpton and Jesse Jackson). And the people who aren't as adroit giving public speakers tend to be the genuine people who people are most loyal to.
You of all people should be able to understand this phenomenon as some of the most glib members of clergy are the most repulsive people in real life.
Urban and Tressel are both known as bonding with their players. Neither is a particularly good public speaker, though Urban does a good job when talking to Ohio football coaches when he's talking off the cuff.
I agree.

I think about this as one who was raised on the West Side and then ended up in Bexley at Capital. Ever since, I have reconsidered the bill of goods I was sold. I was told if I got a certain education and spoke a certain way...not only would I do well, but I would somehow be a better person...better than a blue collar guy from the West Side.

When I taught school, I was commanded to teach the lie that everyone should go college.

As for clergy, yes...especially mainliners who've been required to have a Bachelors before the 4 year M.Div. degree. Mainline seminary is an arrogant bubble. The weird thing is that the defense mechanisms one needs to develop to survive 4 years have the unexpected effect of creating a certain residual arrogance within one. It's something like growing up in an abusive home and becoming an abuser. I've often seen that in myself. And that is when the Bible is especially instructive as it was written, edited and published by people who kept a lot of dirty laundry material about themselves in the text.

Actually, Urban sounds a lot like my scoutmasters when I was growing up. They all worked at Westinghouse on the West Side and put tons of time into scouts and other civic organizations. The West Side had a real community back then...all based on factory jobs at GM, Westinghouse, and International Harvester. Some people went to college. Some people didn't. Now all the factories are gone, and West Side teachers (like I was) are supposed to orient all kids toward college. Obama talks out of both sides on that. In one speech, he'll say all kids gotta go to college. In another speech, he talks about training people to do green-whatever environmental upgrade window installation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BizzyBee Catman Gokeefe et al 2 min Duke for Mayor 79
5 MILLION NEW WORKERS - Omg! 53 min Matthew 22 21 8
Man Shot Multiple Times In North Columbus Alley 1 hr astonished by ign... 7
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 8 hr Male 4,553
benghazi! 10 hr Neutral Party 9
People Forced To Move Out Of Columbus Motel Tha... 11 hr They cannot kill ... 3
Ronald Reagan gave blanket amnesty to 3 million... 12 hr Neutral Party 19
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search