of 19
Next Last

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#392 Apr 25, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually stay mute on these types of issues but years and years ago when I lived in the south end of Cleveland Hts, real close to East Cleveland, it annoyed the daylights out of me to see people buying top cuts of steak and expensive seafood with food stamps, they were paper at the time.
It took me a bit to figure out it was none of my business. Mine was to feed my family the best I could on the budget we had. I didn't mind tuna casserole once in awhile or salmon patties or even mac and cheese with sliced mushrooms and tuna. The kids liked it and they were healthy.
When in the grocery, I disregard. I'm too busy trying to get done and out usually, I don't like grocery shopping. In and out.

Meh, I usually went for the healthier stuff too when my kids were younger while trying to maintain budget. Still do. My kids grew up on lots of fruits, pastas, peanutbutter, poultry, tuna.

But this woman made this a much more public conversation.

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#393 Apr 25, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>That idiotic poem has no relevance in the 21st century. You scum want to trash the Constitution at every turn and you cry about a leftist poem on a French statue.
Um, where in any post of mine have I proposed trashing the constitution?

I've trashed laws and policies that I feel run counter to the constitution but that's it.

You on the otherhand want to scrap it and start all over. You hate the fact that people of color and of the opposite gender of you have the exact same rights as you do.

Sorry you old Ward wannabe, we are a mixed society. I'm no fan of the idiot jihadists but I have no qualm with Islam as a whole. It fits the societies where it is most practiced. I don't go quite as far as EBob does but I'm not a big fan of wholehearted support of Israel. I say we should conduct business with them, protect our interests but let them shoulder the burden of defending their nation.

A side note, if it weren't for the French, we might still be English subjects.

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#394 Apr 25, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
When in the grocery, I disregard. I'm too busy trying to get done and out usually, I don't like grocery shopping. In and out.
Meh, I usually went for the healthier stuff too when my kids were younger while trying to maintain budget. Still do. My kids grew up on lots of fruits, pastas, peanutbutter, poultry, tuna.
But this woman made this a much more public conversation.
Oh, so you like the in and out, do you? heh heh...sorry, not often do I get a chance to quote from A Clockwork Orange.

We did the same as you, get the healthiest most affordable food and make as much fun with it as possible. When one of my kids complained that I didn't buy cinnamon toast crunch, I just explained that the money we saved on cereal and on potential health issues went towards our vacations.

Cheerios was a good tradeoff for Disneyland in their eyes.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#395 Apr 25, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so you like the in and out, do you? heh heh...sorry, not often do I get a chance to quote from A Clockwork Orange.
We did the same as you, get the healthiest most affordable food and make as much fun with it as possible. When one of my kids complained that I didn't buy cinnamon toast crunch, I just explained that the money we saved on cereal and on potential health issues went towards our vacations.
Cheerios was a good tradeoff for Disneyland in their eyes.
Naughty, naughty, naughty! You filthy old soomka!

Haven't seen that movie in YEARS.

I just always bought lots of produce, some lean meats, kept basics on hand--sugar, eggs, flour, spices, butter, rice, pasta, simple stuff. Apples, cinnamon, sugar, butter, cheerios crushed up or oatmeal could make a fairly decent apple crisp. Eggs, flour, butter, some baking powder are the basics for a cake or cookies. We just didn't buy a lot of stuff we couldn't make. 3 meals a day X 6 people X 7 days a week adds up and we valued stretching a buck and keeping the kids healthy. My kids still do this, too. All are in their 20s or early 30s. I can walk into their kitchens and pretty much expect to be able to make at least a basic meal or bake something simple. Maybe not "fancy"--more like spaghetti or maybe a saute with some chicken and veggies, but it'll be a decent meal.

Dunno. Maybe me and being old fashioned, but there's a reason home ec is still a good thing to learn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama a Muslim? 71% Say Yes (May '14) 6 min blaknut 375
They all look alike! 22 min Look aLike 3
INJUSTICE….for sure! 29 min Duke for Mayor 37
Every state has ISIS recruits 33 min They cannot kill ... 128
What ails the black family? Hard realities! 34 min Duke for Mayor 121
Pam BizzyBee Linda Catman and all other nice pe... 35 min They cannot kill ... 94
North Korea 52 min Duke for Mayor 23
America needs Jesus Christ and the Word of God 3 hr d pantz 58
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:50 am PST

NFL 8:50AM