“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#324 Apr 23, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
All right then, exactly what accusations, without proof, have I levelled against Ann Romney?
No need for anyone to respond, you asked for no proof.

Adage: perception is reality

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#325 Apr 23, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, yes...another economic illiterate who doesn't understand that minimum wage increases lead to inflation and layoffs.
Funny, every time an increase in minimum wage is proposed, these exact same threats are brought forward. The problem is, it never happens that, quite the opposite.

Quit hanging on to theories that have always failed in the long run.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#326 Apr 23, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Then make it a sales tax to be sure ALL the consumers of state programs pay. Not just the ones who work and are honest on their tax returns.
Sales taxes are widely recognized as regressive. Proportionally the poor pay more.

City taxes, in Columbus anyway, are pretty much a straight percentage as withheld. No returns filed in the majority of cases. Further, Columbus is pretty much on a par with other geopolitical entities across the county in terms of rate.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#327 Apr 23, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you're talking Old Testament. Jesus, of course was New Testament.
And Jesus was not requiring that of anyone. I believe, however, that the lesson has to do with it not being sufficient to not break any commandments. How one lives one's life makes a difference in one's relationship with God. And wealth is frequently a barrier.
However, the larger point is that the phrase "the poor will always be among us," is frequently lifted out of context in order to justify ignoring the needs of those among us who are poor. Judas's motivations were not pure--he wasn't really advocating that nard be sold to provide for the poor. He was building the treasury--that he controlled. But, what Christ said, as he said to Mary and Martha, is that there will be time to take care of those things. The time that his followers had with him was limited. And it was time to learn.
Does Jesus condemn the man's wealth? No.

Jesus knows the man's heart and is informing him that his spiritual dissatisfaction is the result of a misplaced priority: something other than God held first place in his heart.

In the rich man's case, it was wealth; but for another, it might be family.

Recall other words of Jesus: "Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life."

Is Jesus calling Christians to a life of isolation and despair?
Is he condemning family relationships as evil?
Absolutely not. He is reminding us that with His help, we can keep Him first in our hearts and lives.

In fact, at the end of His story of the rich young ruler, Jesus reiterates, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

The very righteous and very wealthy Job is a perfect example.

Location hidden

#328 Apr 23, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
No, because I am going for a nap before Hubby gets home. And, once more, you're not worth the time.
Ah.

I see you found the time to post a few other responses, so I will accept that you couldn't come up with an baseless allegations that I made against Ms. Romney.

Columbus, OH

#330 Apr 23, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's called truth. You people blew it all on Obamacare and it will implode and/or be repealed within five years.
Based on your failure to accurately predict, I'm guessing Obamacare will get fixed, rather than scrapped.

Thanks for the good news.

Location hidden

#331 Apr 23, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Jesus condemn the man's wealth? No.
Jesus knows the man's heart and is informing him that his spiritual dissatisfaction is the result of a misplaced priority: something other than God held first place in his heart.
In the rich man's case, it was wealth; but for another, it might be family.
Recall other words of Jesus: "Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life."
Is Jesus calling Christians to a life of isolation and despair?
Is he condemning family relationships as evil?
Absolutely not. He is reminding us that with His help, we can keep Him first in our hearts and lives.
In fact, at the end of His story of the rich young ruler, Jesus reiterates, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
The very righteous and very wealthy Job is a perfect example.
I think that the question that we are dealing with is whether Jesus endorses overlooking the needs of the poor.

Columbus, OH

#332 Apr 23, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
All right then, exactly what accusations, without proof, have I levelled against Ann Romney?
To these folks anything short of crowning her queen is considered an insult, these are the very same who defile and degrade our President and the First Lady.

Location hidden

#333 Apr 23, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that the question that we are dealing with is whether Jesus endorses overlooking the needs of the poor.
With regard to the story of the rich young ruler, the poor were not the subject of the discussion: the man's spiritual need was at the center.

Same with the story of the expensive perfume: the woman was performing a spiritual function [i.e., worship], which superseded all else.

Location hidden

#334 Apr 23, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
To these folks anything short of crowning her queen is considered an insult, these are the very same who defile and degrade our President and the First Lady.
Nope. Those two are quite capable of handling that function all by themselves.

Location hidden

#335 Apr 23, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point.

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#336 Apr 23, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
Those two ghetto rats have earned it.

Location hidden

#337 Apr 23, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
With regard to the story of the rich young ruler, the poor were not the subject of the discussion: the man's spiritual need was at the center.
Same with the story of the expensive perfume: the woman was performing a spiritual function [i.e., worship], which superseded all else.
The point I was intending to life (perhaps inappropriately) from the story of the wealthy young man is that Jesus advised him to sell all he had and give it to the poor. This does not, to my mind, support the notion, that we are not to bother ourselves thinking about or caring for the poor.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#338 Apr 23, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, every time an increase in minimum wage is proposed, these exact same threats are brought forward. The problem is, it never happens that, quite the opposite.
Quit hanging on to theories that have always failed in the long run.
Sorry Kosmik, leftism has always failed in the long run.

The EU will probably not survive this decade.

Location hidden

#339 Apr 23, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
The point I was intending to life (perhaps inappropriately) from the story of the wealthy young man is that Jesus advised him to sell all he had and give it to the poor. This does not, to my mind, support the notion, that we are not to bother ourselves thinking about or caring for the poor.
Of course, believers are commanded to voluntarily aid the poor.
However, the story of the rich young ruler is specific to a heart problem.

You will note that Jesus did not go around preaching that all of his followers should sell all that they have and give it to the poor. He did not come to Earth to die so that everyone could have stuff.

Ivy League-ISIS

#340 Apr 23, 2013
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
I never knew "lese majeste" was a crime...typical "libertarian" Kosmik.

He isn't my President, my people didn't vote for him.

Location hidden

#341 Apr 23, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Those two ghetto rats have earned it.
Is it worse to call the current First Lady a ghetto rat, or a recent contender the c word?

Just wondering.

Ivy League-ISIS

#342 Apr 23, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it worse to call the current First Lady a ghetto rat, or a recent contender the c word?
Just wondering.
The Occupier is not deserving of respect, as we didn't elect him.

Columbus, OH

#343 Apr 23, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Kosmik, leftism has always failed in the long run.
The EU will probably not survive this decade.
And all it took was a few months for the last Republican President to squander a budget surplus and turn it into an ever growing debt.

This nation would not survive 16 years of this type of governing.

Don't forget, those Europeans have had their countries long before 1492 and have suffered through good and bad but always bounce back.

Why must you point elsewhere when the problems we have here stem from Republican failures?

Columbus, OH

#344 Apr 23, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
I never knew "lese majeste" was a crime...typical "libertarian" Kosmik.
He isn't my President, my people didn't vote for him.
People? You have people? Are they all as ignorant with regards to basic math as you?

Face it, you're nothing more than a sore loser Republican who hoped he'd get his own magic underwear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two fish were swimming upstream.... 3 min They cannot kill ... 231
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 min Reality Speaks 31,218
any one know terry and Tonya white ? 43 min They cannot kill ... 6
Columbus schools Downtown headquarters lack fir... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Naked Woman Flags Down Help After Assault In We... 2 hr Big Johnson 3
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 3 hr Go Blue Forever 3,360
Somali immigrants fight for improvements to Nor... 7 hr Canterbury 13
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbus People Search