|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Currently circulating on Facebook:

If I hear Ann Romney talk about how she and Mitt lived in a “basement apartment” and “ate lots of pasta and tuna” because he’s a self-made man and “nobody handed him his success,” I might fucking implode…or worse. The thing about these people that scares the shit out of me is that they are so detached from reality they can’t even understand WHY us “common people” are annoyed. Maybe a letter is in order.

Dear Ann Romney,

No one really gives a shit that you are rich. No one begrudges you a good life or is insinuating that Mitt didn’t work hard to earn your money. Granted,“working hard” may have a vastly different meaning than taking over companies, loading them with debt, gutting them and then collecting huge fees to anyone with a modicum of conscience and decency, but we’ll get into that, as well as the tax havens and loopholes he milks for every last dime, some other time.

What you don’t seem to be able to get through your pretty little blond cranium is that, while you may have had to live in an apartment sans multiple Cadillacs and dancing horses in your college days, you always knew that there was a familial safety net there to catch you if you fell. You didn’t have to live with the terrorizing realization that your lights might get turned off at any moment because you chose to buy food or medicine for your kids instead of paying your overdue utility bill. You weren’t working two jobs while going to college, and STILL living in constant fear of eviction. You never had to apply for Food Stamps because your spouse died and then cower in embarrassment at the grocery store checkout counter, aware of the judgmental faces all around you glaring at the nice cake you put in your cart because it was the ONLY thing you could get your son for his 5th birthday.
In other words, you living like many of us live our entire lives for a couple of years isn’t reality…it’s a cute story, an anecdote to chuckle over at Thanksgiving dinner in one of your many mansions. It’s bullsh_t. You don’t know what it’s like to be a regular American any more than I know what it’s like to be a Sudanese orphan or a f_cking amoeba. I think it would make us all feel slightly better if you would just conjure up a little goddamned humility and admit that.

What is even more perplexing and infuriating is that the political party you endorse begrudges a social safety net to those not fortunate enough to be born into a supportive family. You don’t seem to grasp the fact that a stroke of PURE LUCK afforded you a start in life that most of us can only dream about. I’m not saying that your family didn’t have problems, as I’m sure they did, but regardless, they were able to care for you in a way that gave you huge educational and financial advantages. And, good for you! I’m happy for you and any other person that is raised in a stable environment. The difference between us is that I realize that when some poor soul is born into a situation with, say, a meth-addicted mother and an absent father, it is our job as society to make sure they have at least a chance in life.

We’re not all envious, Ann. We don’t want to take what you have or villainize you because you are able to live a luxurious lifestyle. We just want you to show some respect and compassion for all those not as blessed as you have been and confess that you have no idea what their lives are really like. In short, we want you to stop being such a self-deluded, egocentric daft c_nt.

Love,
Us People

http://blog.duchessstrollins.com/2012/08/30/a...
imagine2011

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

We have seen what poor greedy people, like the Obamas,(who despise America's power & riches), in the WH can do to this country in just 3 1/2 years. I think a rich president like Romney, who doesn't feel the need to steal and cheat his way to the top of the money pile, who didn't even take a salary the entire time as Mass. Governor, would be a better fit for America. He can rally Americans to want to be successful again instead of stirring up envy and hate for each other.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
If I hear Ann Romney talk about how she and Mitt lived in a “basement apartment” and “ate lots of pasta and tuna” because he’s a self-made man and “nobody handed him his success,”
In my personal life, I stay away from people like this who can't understand that life was never meant to be fair. Some people get the short stick and some people get the silver spoons. I acknowledge that it's sometimes difficult to be around those who haven't a clue as to what it's like to skip a meal or a doctor's visit and don't bother to give back but I stay away from them, too.

Get over yourselves. If Obama had done a great job, you wouldn't have to be fighting so hard over who got advantages in life, and people getting advantages will be around until the end of time.

PS - I take no article seriously from a writer who has to use this kind of language to make a point. Speaks to the audience she intends to attract and immediately reduces her rant to...a rant.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
If I hear Ann Romney talk about how she and Mitt lived in a “basement apartment” and “ate lots of pasta and tuna” because he’s a self-made man and “nobody handed him his success,” I might fucking implode…or worse.
And OMG, because I only scanned what you post I just saw the last sentence. How rude of you to post something like this - one woman calling another such a word. And people think you take the high road and are so intelligent!
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Moreover, you would have become enraged had someone said that about Michelle Obama, and you likely would have stated it was because of racism and then referred to the post over and over again when complaining about the lack of civil discourse. You yourself have been called the nasty word and complained bitterly about it - yet, you have no qualms about copying and pasting an article in its entirety which uses the word so casually to slam a politician's wife.

There is nothing morally superior about doing that which you rally against, and to do so in a roundabout way smacks of the way the Obama administration works. No wonder you're a fan. You really are no better than your male counterparts - it's just that you're more feline about it.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

imagine2011 wrote:
We have seen what poor greedy people, like the Obamas,(who despise America's power & riches), in the WH can do to this country in just 3 1/2 years. I think a rich president like Romney, who doesn't feel the need to steal and cheat his way to the top of the money pile, who didn't even take a salary the entire time as Mass. Governor, would be a better fit for America. He can rally Americans to want to be successful again instead of stirring up envy and hate for each other.
Stealing and cheating are frequently ill-defined entities. Some stealing and cheating is legally sanctioned.

So, perhaps it would be helpful to list the ways in which the Obamas have benefitted financially from stealing and cheating. And then we can more acurately stack that up against what Mr. Romney has done.

But I note that neither you nor WW has addressed the main point, which is that what "we people" want is not to have what Ann Romney has, but rather to be appreciated and respected for who and what we are. Putting out the example of having eaten tuna-noodle casserole for a few years while on the way to something more successful (always having the fall-back of inherited millions) is profoundly disrespectful of people for whom tuna-noodle casserole is the upside and who are meanwhile accused by Mr. Romney's campaign of being the reason that people like the Romneys have to pay a whopping 15% in federal income taxes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Wait what wrote:
Moreover, you would have become enraged had someone said that about Michelle Obama, and you likely would have stated it was because of racism and then referred to the post over and over again when complaining about the lack of civil discourse. You yourself have been called the nasty word and complained bitterly about it - yet, you have no qualms about copying and pasting an article in its entirety which uses the word so casually to slam a politician's wife.
There is nothing morally superior about doing that which you rally against, and to do so in a roundabout way smacks of the way the Obama administration works. No wonder you're a fan. You really are no better than your male counterparts - it's just that you're more feline about it.
Yes, the language is salty, but the points (which you failed to address) are valid. I did have to fix some words to make it postable. But altering someone else's writing substantially is not exactly kosher, don'tcha know.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
And OMG, because I only scanned what you post I just saw the last sentence. How rude of you to post something like this - one woman calling another such a word. And people think you take the high road and are so intelligent!
OK, now hold your nose and go back and read it.

Set the language aside and pay attention to what the author is saying.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Stealing and cheating are frequently ill-defined entities. Some stealing and cheating is legally sanctioned.
So, perhaps it would be helpful to list the ways in which the Obamas have benefitted financially from stealing and cheating. And then we can more acurately stack that up against what Mr. Romney has done.
But I note that neither you nor WW has addressed the main point, which is that what "we people" want is not to have what Ann Romney has, but rather to be appreciated and respected for who and what we are. Putting out the example of having eaten tuna-noodle casserole for a few years while on the way to something more successful (always having the fall-back of inherited millions) is profoundly disrespectful of people for whom tuna-noodle casserole is the upside and who are meanwhile accused by Mr. Romney's campaign of being the reason that people like the Romneys have to pay a whopping 15% in federal income taxes.
No, Reader, YOU missed the point. An immature ranting does not deserve appreciation or respect, and I suspect that the writer behaves like this in real life. Therefore, you get what you deserve.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, now hold your nose and go back and read it.
Set the language aside and pay attention to what the author is saying.
YOU set the language aside and pay attention to what the most rudest male posters are saying to you.

I cannot stand whiny, pouty women and I say this as a woman who has faced numerous difficulties and disadvantages of the 'life's not fair' brand. I have hinted of my background and you've blown it off, so don't tell I'm missing the point. I understand The Point more than you will ever know.

It is your hypocrisy, not necessarily what you write, that makes my head spin - particularly when one constantly talks about their religion and compares it in a superior way to others.

By posting the article in its entirety, you have told me you approve of the language. It would have been classier to just post the link and add a few lines of commentary.

Oh, wait...
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Democratic Congressional majority that Obama brought in with him in 2008 didn't like the legal tax code, perhaps they should have legislated to change it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

hey now wrote:
Three and a half years ago a majority of voters opted for obama. Who knows maybe those people thought obama was grateful for the way our system works, and how that had helped him along his way to the most important job Americans entrust. Now we know obama is just a dirty, resentful scumbag that hates America. What a valuable lesson...every filthy leftist lies, cheats, grifts, steals, betrays. It's now called "the obama way." The POS who wrote this and the sack of shit who posted it prove positive "the obama way."
hn--you started off rational and then you took an enormous leap. Please explain how you now know that Obama is "just a dirty, resentful scumbag that hates America."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU set the language aside and pay attention to what the most rudest male posters are saying to you.
In fact, that is what I just did with hey now's comment above. And I frequently do so.

It's all a question of whether there is any "meat" contained in the argument (whether I agree or not), of it it is nothing but personal insult.

When people deal on the level of personal insult (as you are currently choosing to do, BTW) exclusived of the content, well, trading insults gets boring real fast.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>

I cannot stand whiny, pouty women and I say this as a woman who has faced numerous difficulties and disadvantages of the 'life's not fair' brand. I have hinted of my background and you've blown it off, so don't tell I'm missing the point. I understand The Point more than you will ever know.
It is your hypocrisy, not necessarily what you write, that makes my head spin ...
People who actually know me--you know in real life--would find these characterizations highly amusing.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, that is what I just did with hey now's comment above. And I frequently do so.
It's all a question of whether there is any "meat" contained in the argument (whether I agree or not), of it it is nothing but personal insult.
When people deal on the level of personal insult (as you are currently choosing to do, BTW) exclusived of the content, well, trading insults gets boring real fast.
I called you out on your hypocrisy based on what you write. Deal with it.
Victim Thy Name Is

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Content - LOL! The writer signed the letter as "Us People". If you can't even check your work to make sure it sounds reasonably educated, don't expect me to pay much attention. Chances are if you're too lazy to proofread, you're too lazy to improve yourself and I don't want to share anything I earn or have with people who can't be bothered. Now, if you're truly in dire straights that's a horse of a different color. Sue me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Victim Thy Name Is wrote:
<quoted text>
Content - LOL! The writer signed the letter as "Us People". If you can't even check your work to make sure it sounds reasonably educated, don't expect me to pay much attention. Chances are if you're too lazy to proofread, you're too lazy to improve yourself and I don't want to share anything I earn or have with people who can't be bothered. Now, if you're truly in dire straights that's a horse of a different color. Sue me.
"Us people" was an allusion to Ann Romney's several references to "you people."
Conservative

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

It's inconceivable that the Romney's started out in a basement apt?

Mitts parents were well to do, not Mitt. They may have helped with college (as most parents do) and even getting started (as most parents do) but most parents including the wealthy don't finance a lifestyle for their children. That's why they never leave home.

Because Mitts parents were well to do doesn't mean mean they said, just hand over the bills, we'll pay them, in fact Mitts father at one point worked as an apprentice for Lathe and plaster (now it's sheet rock).

I would expect them to expect Mitt to start his own way in life. They'd help, as any parent would, but he had to make it himself.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
"Us people" was an allusion to Ann Romney's several references to "you people."
Regardless, it should have been "We People" - as you corrected yourself in your posts.

My point stands. The author isn't particularly educated in her use of the English language, and doesn't particularly care.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

Judged:

Conservative wrote:
It's inconceivable that the Romney's started out in a basement apt?
Mitts parents were well to do, not Mitt. They may have helped with college (as most parents do) and even getting started (as most parents do) but most parents including the wealthy don't finance a lifestyle for their children. That's why they never leave home.
Because Mitts parents were well to do doesn't mean mean they said, just hand over the bills, we'll pay them, in fact Mitts father at one point worked as an apprentice for Lathe and plaster (now it's sheet rock).
I would expect them to expect Mitt to start his own way in life. They'd help, as any parent would, but he had to make it himself.
I believe that the letter-writer address that. The issue is not whether or not Mitt ever lived in such a basement apartment. nd it is laudable to decide (as Mitt did) not to follow into a job his father certainly could have gotten for him.

But it is a far cry from moving out of the wealth one was born into, having an ivy league education, undeniable connections in the world, and the knowledge of trusts and money that assuredly must have been available and making a go of it, and being born into poverty.

There have certainly been those "to the manor born" who have been able to nonetheless connect to a wide variety of people. Consider the Kennedys or Princess Diana.

But, one cannot on the one hand go around complaining about being attacked (by "you people") for having wealth, supporting further tax cuts for your income/wealth class and then on the other expect that a story about tuna noodle casserole is going to fix that all up.

People don't want to live like Ann Romney. They just want to be acknowledged without judgement. They want to be able to get a job that puts food on the table--including tuna-noodle casserole. They want to be able to take their kid to a doctor when they are sick and have the audacity to want both medicine AND tuna-noodle casserole, not a choice between the two.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••