Amish demand to judge their own | The Columbus Dispatch

When one of you has a grievance against a brother, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? - I Corinthians 6:1 It's just not done. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
timmy

Youngstown, OH

#1 Dec 12, 2010
GOATS ! They have never liked the the ENGLISHMEN or HIS LAWS. They would rather put their family in a stainless steel tub and bath them all at once. I respect them as humans but that's about it.Goats and SHOUTY Craftsman! Heck they wire homes for electricity and have none. Who's smart here?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Candide

Columbus, OH

#2 Dec 12, 2010
In a civil matter of this sort, I see no problem with what is being asked. This is a form of arbitration, which is already an accepted form of settling civil matters.
hsok

Westerville, OH

#3 Dec 12, 2010
I feel the new world which is our world should respect the Amish wishes and let them handle it their way. There is no violence involved if they are willing to over look what this person done it is no ones business.However the Trustee does not want to let it go because it will benefit them in the long run, they job duty . I agree this is beyond a great deal of money they intrusted to their follow Amishman , but who are we to step up and say you have to go by our law . Any other time SOCIETY < does not care about what goes on in Amish country or their world why now ? Because somebody will gain from it on the out side with out a doubt > Leave these people alone .
Another mother

Columbus, OH

#4 Dec 12, 2010
I don't see a problem with this. The defendant and creditors agree that is what they want to do, so let them. I understand we don't do this based on religious beliefs, but theirs is an entirely different culture. I see no harm in respecting their wishes, and saving the taxpayers' dollars while we are at it.
ColsMan

Columbus, OH

#6 Dec 12, 2010
The Amish decided to put their money into the "English" world of finance to grow it. Now that there is a crime they want to withdraw into a world of religious laws? Would they retreat like this if the money had grown the way they intended?-NO they just want to enjoy the benefits of the "English" world without the penalties and keep their idealist views and piety...to late! This is a classic case of "In for a penny-In for a pound".
We gather together

Watseka, IL

#7 Dec 12, 2010
And I demand extra fries with my burger.

How much extra slack we gonna give this sect? They ain't no different

than the rest of us...they just get away with more things. Besides..that

Amish junk you buy..they outsource to China now. That's a fact.

Let's review...they shave..drive bigger vehicles & we'll discuss.

Scientologist Sam
ohio

Ravenna, OH

#8 Dec 12, 2010
Its all ok until one of them kill somebody. Then is that ok to settle in the Amish world. Did you ever read the book. Little Boy Blue. Amish man killed his wife and son. True Story, happend in here in Ohio.
ThatsOK

Grove City, OH

#9 Dec 12, 2010
Actually, the Amish are just as dishonest as the rest of us, which means about every third one is stealing other people's stuff. Also, their way of life actually protects some sorts of criminals, such as sex perverts, from being caught.
Tom-R2

Circleville, OH

#10 Dec 12, 2010
If these folks, as the creditors want to handle this matter within their community, so be it. The goal of this type of legal action in the first place is to have an equitable solution to the matter. Who better than the creditors themselves (in any type of a default) to decide how to proceed?
Tom

Columbus, OH

#11 Dec 12, 2010
Classic case of use the laws of the land when they meet your needs then claim we'll handle this our own way when they don't. The defendant opened the door when he filed for bankruptcy. I can understand why they want to take care of this internally, the plain people don't like to air their dirty laundry in public. Make no mistake the Amish and Mennonite are shrewd business people. They may live a plain life but they are by no means poor.
Bob

Atlanta, GA

#12 Dec 12, 2010
Maybe they know if a regular court takes the case, most of the remaining money will be eaten up by the process.
Jimmy C

Westerville, OH

#13 Dec 12, 2010
First the Amish will want to judge their own using their standards, then the Islamists will want to judge their own using their standards, then we will all be judged using Sharia Law.
Can of Worms

Satellite Provider

#14 Dec 12, 2010
If the Amish have their way, what will keep other groups like Muslims from using this same excuse for sharia law in the U.S.?
Jeff Mellott

Muncie, IN

#15 Dec 12, 2010
Well, if they want no help, fine.
As long as they are the only creditors.
But NO GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT at all.
Give the money back to whom they took if from.
He can distribute it.
Van Wert Val

Van Wert, OH

#16 Dec 12, 2010
Why is this any different than the Muslims wanting Sharia law?
Jeff Mellott

Muncie, IN

#17 Dec 12, 2010
We gather together wrote:
And I demand extra fries with my burger.
How much extra slack we gonna give this sect? They ain't no different
than the rest of us...they just get away with more things. Besides..that
Amish junk you buy..they outsource to China now. That's a fact.
Let's review...they shave..drive bigger vehicles & we'll discuss.
Scientologist Sam
Uhhhh, Scientologist Sam--- Be careful about criticism of other faiths: doing so may inflame your thetans.
not sold

AOL

#18 Dec 12, 2010
I agree wih Can of Worms. If this exception is made do the courts have to allow Sharia law to trump our courts. Can women be stoned, hands cut off, etc. while law enforement and the courts sit idlely by?
The Happy Crab

Orlando, FL

#19 Dec 12, 2010
timmy wrote:
GOATS ! They have never liked the the ENGLISHMEN or HIS LAWS. They would rather put their family in a stainless steel tub and bath them all at once. I respect them as humans but that's about it.Goats and SHOUTY Craftsman! Heck they wire homes for electricity and have none. Who's smart here?
Hmm, who's smart here? Sure as hell isn't you, you hate filled bigoted POS.
Mule Ear

New York, NY

#20 Dec 12, 2010
They are subject to the law of the land as written. They can not have it both ways, it is not a case of them being able to choose which set of laws apply.
If the Amish can pick and choose so can any other person or group - it is as simple as that.
Yoder Hater

Hermitage, PA

#21 Dec 12, 2010
I will agree to this when they agree to pay taxes, join the military and properly light their buggies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
COPS lives MATTER 4 min Reality Speaks 40
Hand outs 5 min Seriouslady 5
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 12 min Neutral Party 4,827
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 16 min Reality Speaks 312
Should Suspected Pedophiles be Tortured? 1 hr d pantz 12
Dead boy's mom urges Columbus marchers on 2 hr I Do Know 5
I found Mr Tea 2 hr White cop 4
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance