First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#182 Oct 5, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiiight, go ahead and use early 20th century references... as if science doesn't evolve...dude died in 1933, published his book on protozoa of Sandusky Bay in 1908. The 21st century doesn't even want you, Dukie.
Meow.
Soooo...because Mr. Landacre is deceased, he was wrong?

Interesting concept.

Is that Jesus guy dead?

woof

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183 Oct 5, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Soooo...because Mr. Landacre is deceased, he was wrong?
Interesting concept.
Is that Jesus guy dead?
woof
He was reflecting the thought of his era. You do realize that nearly all of NW Ohio was swamp until about 1880-1890 or so, right? It has to be completely drained to build the cities there, including Toledo. It was the canals that helped to settle the region and bring homesteaders and businesses there. My great-grandparents and their families on my mom's side were one of the earliest there, landing in the region in the late 1870s, just off the boat from Europe. People dropped like flies in the area due to dysentery, cholera, and sometimes even malaria up there during those times. Google "Black Swamp" sometime and let us know. Just a hint: reason why the area is so marshy, particularly where we are speaking.

So, Jefferson Davis thought the Confederacy was a good idea. Was he wrong?

You have to bring religion into this just to feed your skank Che?
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#184 Oct 5, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
He was reflecting the thought of his era. You do realize that nearly all of NW Ohio was swamp until about 1880-1890 or so, right? It has to be completely drained to build the cities there, including Toledo. It was the canals that helped to settle the region and bring homesteaders and businesses there. My great-grandparents and their families on my mom's side were one of the earliest there, landing in the region in the late 1870s, just off the boat from Europe. People dropped like flies in the area due to dysentery, cholera, and sometimes even malaria up there during those times. Google "Black Swamp" sometime and let us know. Just a hint: reason why the area is so marshy, particularly where we are speaking.
So, Jefferson Davis thought the Confederacy was a good idea. Was he wrong?
You have to bring religion into this just to feed your skank Che?
I didn't "bring religion" into it. You disparaged the work of a man of science merely because he is now dead. I used an analogy to make the point that your assertion is quite ridiculous.

Yes, I know about the Black Swamp. My grandfather's farm, where my mother grew up, now owned by my cousins, is mack dab in the middle of it.

There are distinct differences between the Bay and the Lake.

woof

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#185 Oct 5, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't "bring religion" into it. You disparaged the work of a man of science merely because he is now dead. I used an analogy to make the point that your assertion is quite ridiculous.
Yes, I know about the Black Swamp. My grandfather's farm, where my mother grew up, now owned by my cousins, is mack dab in the middle of it.
There are distinct differences between the Bay and the Lake.
woof
I didn't disparage his work. I simply stated it was now outdated and it really had little to do with the definition of the lake as it is currently. I happen to think the history of NW Ohio had a bit to do with his perceptions. The Great Lakes weren't well-mapped or as well-defined back then, were they?

A bay is a feature of a lake. You are as thick as whale poop.

Meow.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#186 Oct 5, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't disparage his work. I simply stated it was now outdated and it really had little to do with the definition of the lake as it is currently. I happen to think the history of NW Ohio had a bit to do with his perceptions. The Great Lakes weren't well-mapped or as well-defined back then, were they?
A bay is a feature of a lake. You are as thick as whale poop.
Meow.
The book I cited by Mr. Landacre was published in 1908. The Great Black Swamp had already been drained for a few decades by then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Black_Swam...

Get on Bubba's boat when he steers it into a bridge piling under route 2. Call the Coast Guard and tell them you're in Lake Erie and need help.

woof

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#187 Oct 5, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
The book I cited by Mr. Landacre was published in 1908. The Great Black Swamp had already been drained for a few decades by then.
Get on Bubba's boat when he steers it into a bridge piling under route 2. Call the Coast Guard and tell them you're in Lake Erie and need help.
woof
Yes, swamp largely drained by 1908, not completely. But the Great Lakes map has morphed over time, particularly with Lake Erie as its shores recede and expand considerably over time due to rainfall.

Nah. I wouldn't go via Route 2. More like getting on a boat near Point Place, Toledo and going via boat. Plus, I live in Cbus. That route wouldn't work too well for me via car. More like 23 N to Rte 4 or 71N to Rte 13.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#188 Oct 6, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
woof
I am so confused, I do not know if my boat is in the bay or lake.

I guess that is determined by the exit I use leaving the marina.

Is it the same water, or is there an invisible division?

Does Sandusky bay have different fishing regulations than Lake erie since lake has special regulations?

If I get in trouble, I will direct them to the all knowing final word lawyer of all Ohio...Duke the Mutt wannabe.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#189 Oct 6, 2013
Equality must, I repeat must never die. We are all born equal.

Are you up to the task of keeping up is the real question?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Middle East 7 min Pale Rider 1
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Pale Rider 4,843
I found Mr Tea 1 hr Reality Speaks 13
convert to islam online and become a muslim 2 hr PEGIDA will stand 4
Transportation Insider: Outgoing COTA trustee p... 2 hr Latrina Waters 7
Where will Glitter be spending the holidays? 2 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 4 hr Big Papa Tea 321
COPS lives MATTER 19 hr They cannot kill ... 48
Columbus Dating
Find my Match