Doctor convicted in oxycodone case | ...

Doctor convicted in oxycodone case | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 54 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 11, 2011, titled Doctor convicted in oxycodone case | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Paul H. Volkman faces at least 20 years in prison and might have to forfeit proceeds of his crimes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mckeestown

Lancaster, OH

#2 May 11, 2011
Are there clear difinitions for lawfully and unlawfully prescribing painkillers?
Are the laws written by lawyers or doctors?
Robert

Decatur, IN

#3 May 11, 2011
While he may have unlawfully prescribed pain killers to people, their deaths are wholly their own responsibility. If adults deliberately abuse the drugs, they have to accept the consequences for their actions.
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#4 May 11, 2011
I agree with the above. That would be like charging every drug dealer with murder every time someone buys drugs from them. My niece has been hooked on snorting Oxcy for a few years. Whenever I say anything she says well they are prescribe to me by my doctor. I said let me see the bottle where it states to crush them up and snort them up your nose.

But just like drug dealers I believe they need to also lock up doctors that over prescribe pain killers. They know what they are doing is illegal. But I am sure they do not write down for them to take to many in a period of time or to crush and snort.
Silky Johnson

Columbus, OH

#5 May 11, 2011
Robert wrote:
While he may have unlawfully prescribed pain killers to people, their deaths are wholly their own responsibility. If adults deliberately abuse the drugs, they have to accept the consequences for their actions.
Would it be ok then for a gun shop owner to sell a gun to some nutball who explicitly says to that gun shop owner they're going to go commit murder with that very gun? Or suicide? Giving junkies the very drugs they need to overdose is kind of the same thing.
WOW

Columbus, OH

#6 May 11, 2011
What Volkman and Fletcher did was no different from the "street corner dealer". They should be put in jail and after serving their sentences they should be made to do their community service in a drug rehab. So they can see first hand what this does to people and their families. Why wasn't Fletchers property confiscated? Was it because he turned informant ? This guy is a cheat in business, his personal affairs. He deserves everything he gets and then some. A true "slime ball".
westside

Athens, OH

#7 May 11, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
I agree with the above. That would be like charging every drug dealer with murder every time someone buys drugs from them. My niece has been hooked on snorting Oxcy for a few years. Whenever I say anything she says well they are prescribe to me by my doctor. I said let me see the bottle where it states to crush them up and snort them up your nose.
But just like drug dealers I believe they need to also lock up doctors that over prescribe pain killers. They know what they are doing is illegal. But I am sure they do not write down for them to take to many in a period of time or to crush and snort.
you put your foot in your mouth. you agreed that it is your niece's fault/ then you said the doctor. it's the doctor that hes control of the amount they perscribe and the false pain's that people say they have. if you needed that much pain killer, you should be in the hospital on the bed. it's all about money. so when your niece steal's off you for pill's, who will you blame?
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#8 May 11, 2011
westside wrote:
<quoted text>you put your foot in your mouth. you agreed that it is your niece's fault/ then you said the doctor. it's the doctor that hes control of the amount they perscribe and the false pain's that people say they have. if you needed that much pain killer, you should be in the hospital on the bed. it's all about money. so when your niece steal's off you for pill's, who will you blame?
What I said was they are not putting on the directions to take to many or crush them and snort them ... that is what some people who do get them through the doctor do.

As for the Doctors ... they know that they are prescribing to many pain killers to patients just because the ask for them and the doctors say as long as you make an appointment I will refill the medicine. Just so they can collect for doctors visit. They are called pill pushing doctors, I use to work for one and I left when I found out what kind of doctor he was. Years later he was no longer allowed to treat BWC patients because of his excess prescriptions of pain killers. BWC pays better than welfare or some insurances. The BWC is the ones that are tracking these types of doctors prescription and going after them.

As for my niece ... she has no chance to steal from me. I don't give her one ... I have tried to get her help (having her committed) the bad thing is she is of age and I cannot make her stay. I have seen to it that her children are with their father now instead of her. I just hope the courts see through her and let the children stay with their father. That is up to the courts ... I feel I have tried everything. She is the one abusing the system not me. I have called emergency rooms all around columbus area and have reported her abuse to them.

What would you have done differently ... I am up to any suggestions.
JohnnyLaw

Columbus, OH

#9 May 11, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
What I said was they are not putting on the directions to take to many or crush them and snort them ... that is what some people who do get them through the doctor do.
As for the Doctors ... they know that they are prescribing to many pain killers to patients just because the ask for them and the doctors say as long as you make an appointment I will refill the medicine. Just so they can collect for doctors visit. They are called pill pushing doctors, I use to work for one and I left when I found out what kind of doctor he was. Years later he was no longer allowed to treat BWC patients because of his excess prescriptions of pain killers. BWC pays better than welfare or some insurances. The BWC is the ones that are tracking these types of doctors prescription and going after them.
As for my niece ... she has no chance to steal from me. I don't give her one ... I have tried to get her help (having her committed) the bad thing is she is of age and I cannot make her stay. I have seen to it that her children are with their father now instead of her. I just hope the courts see through her and let the children stay with their father. That is up to the courts ... I feel I have tried everything. She is the one abusing the system not me. I have called emergency rooms all around columbus area and have reported her abuse to them.
What would you have done differently ... I am up to any suggestions.
Make a copy of your addict neice's prescription bottle and send it, along with an explanatory letter, to The Ohio Pharmacy Board, 77 South High Street, Room 1702, Columbus, Ohio 43125. Notify them in the letter that you have sent a copy of the same evidence to your lawyer.
JohnnyLaw

Columbus, OH

#10 May 11, 2011
In Southern Ohio, the people down there aren't really fit for work as we understand it - it isn't in their genes. Welfare, drink and pills are all they know. We should fence it off and make it a zoo and we can throw pills over the fence at them when we visit.
Neighborhoodwatc hmen

Wapakoneta, OH

#11 May 11, 2011
I say put a fence up at the edge of town and treat it like a boarder patrol.
recoveringaddict

Marion, OH

#12 May 11, 2011
I agree with some of you, i think all the deales should be busted and the pills need to stop i was addictd for 6 yrs on oxycontin and it was pure hell, and it still is hard to deal with, but I do not agree that all users should die, everyone deserves a second chance, for those who want it that is, i am enrolled in school now, working and things are getting better everyday. I am not saying it wasnt my fault at ALL I am just saying its harder than it seems to stop, i wish i had never started. But for those who need help its really out there u just have to want it!
fancy

Zanesville, OH

#13 May 11, 2011
Silky Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it be ok then for a gun shop owner to sell a gun to some nutball who explicitly says to that gun shop owner they're going to go commit murder with that very gun? Or suicide? Giving junkies the very drugs they need to overdose is kind of the same thing.
Do you really think any addict is going to tell the dr they are an addict or they are going to go home and abuse their meds? So, no - I do not see it as the same thing.

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#14 May 11, 2011
Personally, I think people have a right to be stupid and O.D. on drugs if they so choose.

What I'm more worried about is the ability of people who are genuinely ill to get medicine. I cared for a loved one with terminal cancer, and because of all these crazy drug laws it was a pain in the rear to get pain medicine. It could not be called into the pharmacy, or the hospice had to deliver it every couple of days a few pills at a time, and we had to keep a freakin' drug log.

That kind of stuff is just ridiculous and insulting to family members who are already stressed as it is.

Since: Jul 10

Lewis Center, OH

#15 May 11, 2011
Damn it! There goes my supplier.
Charlie

Columbus, OH

#16 May 11, 2011
If heis a doctor, he gives them a physical. Do you think he can't tell by looking at them. Give me a break.
Silky Johnson

Columbus, OH

#17 May 11, 2011
fancy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think any addict is going to tell the dr they are an addict or they are going to go home and abuse their meds? So, no - I do not see it as the same thing.
Addiction is, in fact, a medical issue. There are ways, other than simply asking a person, to figure out who is and is not abusing drugs. Examples include pill counts, drug testing, prior medical history, family history, and on and on. A doctor who is providing powerful medication is supposed to do his or her diligence in making sure they are not giving these substances to a person who is addicted...just like a gun shop owner is not supposed to sell guns to convicted felons or obviously violent people, i.e. due diligence; hence, it's the same thing.
Not all

United States

#19 May 11, 2011
JohnnyLaw wrote:
In Southern Ohio, the people down there aren't really fit for work as we understand it - it isn't in their genes. Welfare, drink and pills are all they know. We should fence it off and make it a zoo and we can throw pills over the fence at them when we visit.
I disagree with this & it very rude to say everyone from southern Ohio is like that. I am a mother of 2 that does not drink, smoke, don't do any drugs, don't go to bars & My husband is the same way & works his butt off in an actual tax paying job over 40 hours a week. And We will not associate with anyone that does do drugs, We are an honest family. But I will agree to the fact that there is a major drug problem in this town & Yes I would say there are more non-working Druggies than Honest working drug free one's, Just Not all of us are like that. This town is being called the drug capital of the USA, But what I can't figure out is why are we being called that, when Most of the Drugs are being brought in from Detroit & Florida! You hear about people getting pulled over while transfering the drugs from there to here. Shouldn't they be be discuseed since that where most of it is coming from?
JohnnyLaw

Columbus, OH

#20 May 11, 2011
Not all wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with this & it very rude to say everyone from southern Ohio is like that. I am a mother of 2 that does not drink, smoke, don't do any drugs, don't go to bars & My husband is the same way & works his butt off in an actual tax paying job over 40 hours a week. And We will not associate with anyone that does do drugs, We are an honest family. But I will agree to the fact that there is a major drug problem in this town & Yes I would say there are more non-working Druggies than Honest working drug free one's, Just Not all of us are like that. This town is being called the drug capital of the USA, But what I can't figure out is why are we being called that, when Most of the Drugs are being brought in from Detroit & Florida! You hear about people getting pulled over while transfering the drugs from there to here. Shouldn't they be be discuseed since that where most of it is coming from?
Why did the good people down there let their town go to crap? Where was the Civic Pride? Where was the leadership? And most of all, why is finding an employed, well spoken and clean living family down there so rare? I'm telling you - there is something in the people's genes, or the water, or something ... that makes them abnormal. Civilized people don't snarf down prescription pills like candy. Civilized people visit the dentist on occassion. Civilized people don't slather their bodies with crude tattoos that say "don't hire me". Face it - there is something wrong with Southern Ohio people.
Donna J Marn

Cleveland, OH

#21 May 11, 2011
I will ask this same question,that i have asked,over and over again....Are These Pain Clinics Still Operating?Has a Federal Judge,Stepped in,and Closed them all??These pain clinics are a Real danger,here in Ohio.I have a White House,Name Change...and 2 son's,that could be lured into these Clinics,get Hooked on Narcotics,and Be Overdosed,Just because,of who they are,and the Proud Name they carry.This Is A serious Issue!!
Geez

Charlotte, NC

#22 May 11, 2011
Doc is too smart for his own good. Two Words ,"American Greed".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Please help me find the love of my life 1 min 404 not found 29
This Forum Does No Such Thing! 3 min Duke for Mayor 23
News Dangerous intersections are mostly north and east 56 min 404 not found 4
Should the GOP cut its loses? 2 hr Seriouslady 912
Trump the Liar 3 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 934
News Former manager of Italian-ice shop pleads guilt... 3 hr 404 not found 7
Is Drumpf Campaign Chief A Voter Fraud Felon? 5 hr They cannot kill ... 8

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance