Family Breakdown: Root of Black America's Ills

Posted in the Columbus Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

http://tinyurl.com/bta9sze

Family Breakdown Is At The Root Of Black America's Ills

by Larry Elder

My latest book, "Dear Father, Dear Son," focuses on the importance of fathers -- and the increasing number of children who grow up in homes without one. Fox's Juan Williams understands this -- sort of. He gets the "what," but not the "why."

Williams, in a Wall Street Journal piece called "Race and the Gun Debate," writes:

"Gun-related violence and murders are concentrated among blacks and Latinos in big cities. Murders with guns are the No. 1 cause of death for African-American men between the ages of 15 and 34.

But talking about race in the context of guns would also mean taking on a subject that can't be addressed by passing a law: the family-breakdown issues that lead too many minority children to find social status and power in guns."

Williams is, of course, right.

There is a direct link between no father in the home and an increased chance that the child will drop out of high school, go on welfare and have a criminal record. This is particularly acute in the black community, where over 70% of black kids are born outside of wedlock.

In some communities, like Southeast Washington, D.C, a staggering 84% of children live in homes without a father.

Roland Warren is the former head of National Fatherhood Initiative. Warren, a black man, read "Dear Father, Dear Son." He called it "powerful" and that it ought to be "required reading" in middle and high schools in America.

And Vincent DiCaro, vice president of the NFI, told the Washington Times: "(People) look at a child in need, in poverty or failing in school, and ask,'What can we do to help?' But what we do is ask,'Why does that child need help in the first place?' And the answer is often it's because (the child lacks) a responsible and involved father."

Williams gets the connection between no dads and violence. "The statistics are staggering," he writes. "In 2009, for example, the Centers for Disease Control reported that 54% of all murders committed, overwhelmingly with guns, are murders of black people. Black people are about 13% of the population. The Justice Department reports that between 1980 and 2008,'blacks were six times more likely than whites to be homicide victims and seven times more likely than whites to commit homicide.'"

This brings us the "why."

Liberals like Williams need to acknowledge the damage the welfare state -- and their support of it -- has done to the family.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 6, 2013
 
Geronimo wrote:
Thank you, Lyndon Johnson.
Indeed.

http://tinyurl.com/cjt9fcn

The brilliant Larry Elder offers us the gut-wrenching results of the Democrat Party's "War on Poverty" [excerpted from his book]:

...census reports from 1890 to 1940 show that blacks were actually slightly more likely to marry than whites therefore their children were slightly more likely than whites to be born into a nuclear, intact family.

Enter President Lyndon Johnson's "war on poverty." Johnson established "neighborhood centers," whose workers went door to door, apprising people of their welfare "rights and benefits." Welfare rolls exploded increasing 110% during one three-year period in the '60s.

...Years ago, the late liberal Sen. William Proxmire, D-Wis., held hearings on the impact of federal government anti-poverty programs known as "urban renewal."

One resident after another testified about government waste, indifference, corrupt politics, overtaxation and the negative consequences of bulldozing old neighborhoods to make way for what became public housing.

An exasperated Proxmire finally said to one witness, "You would probably have better neighborhoods today if there had been no federal programs at all!"....
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

I think it's the sagging pants that did it.
hey now

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 6, 2013
 
I'm sure that a 20 to 30 point difference in intelligence levels has more to do with the problems than absent fathers because they're too stupid to see the value of a male in childrearing. Just take a look at what the stupid female schools superintendendant in Atlanta was able to ruin without any smarter men to keep her in line.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
http://tinyurl.com/cjt9fcn
The brilliant Larry Elder offers us the gut-wrenching results of the Democrat Party's "War on Poverty" [excerpted from his book]:
...census reports from 1890 to 1940 show that blacks were actually slightly more likely to marry than whites therefore their children were slightly more likely than whites to be born into a nuclear, intact family.
Enter President Lyndon Johnson's "war on poverty." Johnson established "neighborhood centers," whose workers went door to door, apprising people of their welfare "rights and benefits." Welfare rolls exploded increasing 110% during one three-year period in the '60s.
...Years ago, the late liberal Sen. William Proxmire, D-Wis., held hearings on the impact of federal government anti-poverty programs known as "urban renewal."
One resident after another testified about government waste, indifference, corrupt politics, overtaxation and the negative consequences of bulldozing old neighborhoods to make way for what became public housing.
An exasperated Proxmire finally said to one witness, "You would probably have better neighborhoods today if there had been no federal programs at all!"....
A fine ragout of seemingly unrelated factoids, there, tip.

Let me ask you, tip. During that time-frame from 1890 to 1940 when Mr. Elder claims that blacks were more likely than whites to be born into "intact nuclear families" (I notice he doesn't employ the word marriage--I find that curious), how did they fare economically compared to whites?

It would seem that if his claims hold up, then they should have been slightly better off economically during that time.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
A fine ragout of seemingly unrelated factoids, there, tip.
Let me ask you, tip. During that time-frame from 1890 to 1940 when Mr. Elder claims that blacks were more likely than whites to be born into "intact nuclear families" (I notice he doesn't employ the word marriage--I find that curious), how did they fare economically compared to whites?
It would seem that if his claims hold up, then they should have been slightly better off economically during that time.
Re-read for clarity:

"...census reports from 1890 to 1940 show that blacks were actually slightly more likely to MARRY than whites -- therefore their children were slightly more likely than whites to be born into a nuclear, intact family...."

All families are better off economically with a working father.
Duh.
hey nnow

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
A fine ragout of seemingly unrelated factoids, there, tip.
Let me ask you, tip. During that time-frame from 1890 to 1940 when Mr. Elder claims that blacks were more likely than whites to be born into "intact nuclear families" (I notice he doesn't employ the word marriage--I find that curious), how did they fare economically compared to whites?
It would seem that if his claims hold up, then they should have been slightly better off economically during that time.
Well then why don't you provide the proof of your counter argument you filthy, lying, progressive sh^tbag?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Re-read for clarity:
"...census reports from 1890 to 1940 show that blacks were actually slightly more likely to MARRY than whites -- therefore their children were slightly more likely than whites to be born into a nuclear, intact family...."
All families are better off economically with a working father.
Duh.
So--your claim is that black families were better off than white families, as a group?

Marriage is not the same as having a working father, BTW.

Nor is the definition of "nuclear intact family" necessarily the same as marriage--which is a legal status.

Like I said--a lot of not necessarily related factoids there and not much to connect to the thesis that "family breakdown" is the root of black America's ills.

And still less to connect that up to so-called liberal policies.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

1

hey nnow wrote:
<quoted text>Well then why don't you provide the proof of your counter argument you filthy, lying, progressive sh^tbag?
Ummmm, my counter argument being what, in your estimation?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

hey nnow wrote:
<quoted text>Well then why don't you provide the proof of your counter argument you filthy, lying, progressive sh^tbag?
My counter argument is that Mr. Elder, as interpreted by tip, has not made his case.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
My counter argument is that Mr. Elder, as interpreted by tip, has not made his case.
Liberals were (and are) against prayer in schools and corporal punishment the symbol of aggressive punishment, thus stripping teachers of their power to control inner city children. In my time football coaches with paddles would discipline young males who were out of line but that practice (Spare the rod and spoil the child) was stopped by liberals, like you, who oppose these practices based on disproportionate numbers of Blacks being on the receiving end of the paddle.

The involved father has been replaced by the weed smoking baby momma on welfare which promotes sloth (if any would not work, neither should he eat - 2 Thessalonians 3:10) and immorality.

Something must be done about Blacks committing so many murders and liberals like you need to stop blaming guns which are all that stands between myself and a home invasion.

These facts alone prove the thesis that liberal destroyed the nuclear Black Family on purpose to trap Blacks in a permanent underclass that will always vote for more and more welfare.
Fred Columbus OH

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 8, 2013
 
The price of crack got to high to afford.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberals were (and are) against prayer in schools and corporal punishment the symbol of aggressive punishment, thus stripping teachers of their power to control inner city children. In my time football coaches with paddles would discipline young males who were out of line but that practice (Spare the rod and spoil the child) was stopped by liberals, like you, who oppose these practices based on disproportionate numbers of Blacks being on the receiving end of the paddle.
The involved father has been replaced by the weed smoking baby momma on welfare which promotes sloth (if any would not work, neither should he eat - 2 Thessalonians 3:10) and immorality.
Something must be done about Blacks committing so many murders and liberals like you need to stop blaming guns which are all that stands between myself and a home invasion.
These facts alone prove the thesis that liberal destroyed the nuclear Black Family on purpose to trap Blacks in a permanent underclass that will always vote for more and more welfare.
Cranberry--you join tip and Mr. Elder in making a lot of pretty unsubstantiated statements, particularly when it comes to assuming causality.

And then you make the whole thing worse by blasphemously quoting the Bible out of context to put some kind of moral imprimator on you opinions.
Telgin

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

3

Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberals were (and are) against prayer in schools and corporal punishment the symbol of aggressive punishment, thus stripping teachers of their power to control inner city children. In my time football coaches with paddles would discipline young males who were out of line but that practice (Spare the rod and spoil the child) was stopped by liberals, like you, who oppose these practices based on disproportionate numbers of Blacks being on the receiving end of the paddle.
The involved father has been replaced by the weed smoking baby momma on welfare which promotes sloth (if any would not work, neither should he eat - 2 Thessalonians 3:10) and immorality.
Something must be done about Blacks committing so many murders and liberals like you need to stop blaming guns which are all that stands between myself and a home invasion.
These facts alone prove the thesis that liberal destroyed the nuclear Black Family on purpose to trap Blacks in a permanent underclass that will always vote for more and more welfare.
You are correct but Reader will disagree merely because of the pigment of the degenerates creating the problems. It does not make any difference that it is common sense and accurate. She will continue with her idiocy based simply on pigmentation. I was hoping the doctors would be able to help her with her rectal-cranium condition but no such luck yet, obviously.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Cranberry--you join tip and Mr. Elder in making a lot of pretty unsubstantiated statements, particularly when it comes to assuming causality.
And then you make the whole thing worse by blasphemously quoting the Bible out of context to put some kind of moral imprimator on you opinions.
Blasphemy?

That's hilarious coming from an LGBTQ supporter such as yourself who regularly twists Holy Writ to justify same sex marriage, gay sex education and Transgender Males using toilet and restroom facilities designed for biological females.

Just remember Reader, God rained down "fire, sulfur and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah - Genesis 19:24". Peddlers of perversion such as yourself are blind guides leading the blind.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

1

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Cranberry--you join tip and Mr. Elder in making a lot of pretty unsubstantiated statements, particularly when it comes to assuming causality.
And then you make the whole thing worse by blasphemously quoting the Bible out of context to put some kind of moral imprimator on you opinions.
Look everyone...Reader is now a theologian, no doubt with a degree granted from a fine institution like this:

http://www.fadingad.com/blog/brooklyn/eastern...
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

2

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Look everyone...Reader is now a theologian, no doubt with a degree granted from a fine institution like this:
http://www.fadingad.com/blog/brooklyn/eastern...
Where's your divinity degree from Paco?

woof

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's your divinity degree from Paco?
woof
I defer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Tell me when I've ever accused anyone of heresy.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
A fine ragout of seemingly unrelated factoids, there, tip.
Let me ask you, tip. During that time-frame from 1890 to 1940 when Mr. Elder claims that blacks were more likely than whites to be born into "intact nuclear families" (I notice he doesn't employ the word marriage--I find that curious), how did they fare economically compared to whites?
It would seem that if his claims hold up, then they should have been slightly better off economically during that time.
Without the transfer payments stolen from whites via taxation, how would blacks be faring?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Without the transfer payments stolen from whites via taxation, how would blacks be faring?
All of them?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 18 min lazy bones 28,592
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 23 min gertrud 227
Deported illegal immigrants return repeatedly |... (Dec '10) 36 min Amigo 57
When will Obama be Arrested???? 3 hr Free Pizza 4 U 49
muslim brotherhood authorizes 'anal jihad' 3 hr Free Pizza 4 U 13
Investor nightmare (Jul '09) 5 hr Jan 81
Punishment 4 Treason 5 hr Seriouslady 5
•••
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••