United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Must-Read Article:

Related: Detroit’s 60-Year Decline into Bankruptcy Hell.“It’s hard to overstate the traumatic and lingering effects of the 1967 riots, which for many older native Detroiters forever marked the watershed in the city’s downward economic spiral and triggered the mass exodus of its population.”

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2013/0...
Enzyte Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

... But seething beneath the surface were growing racial tensions between blacks and a predominantly white police force. In the early morning heat of July 23, 1967, a police raid on an after-hours bar popular with blacks on the corner of 12th and Clairmount Streets touched off one of the deadliest and most destructive riots in U.S. history, lasting five days and surpassing the violence and property destruction of Detroit’s 1943 race riot. It required military intervention.

In all, 43 people were killed in the violence, shooting and burning – of whom 33 were black and ten were white. Nearly 470 others Detroiters were injured, including 167 Detroit police officers and 83 firefighters. And the damage was unimaginable: 2,509 stores were looted or burned, 388 families lost their homes, and 412 buildings needed to be demolished.
Young wrote in a 1994 memoir, as he was leaving office, that the city never recovered from the riots.

“Detroit's losses went a hell of a lot deeper than the immediate toll of lives and buildings. The riot put Detroit on the fast track to economic desolation, mugging the city and making off with incalculable value in jobs, earnings taxes, corporate taxes, retail dollars, sales taxes, mortgages, interest, property taxes, development dollars, investment dollars, tourism dollars, and plain damn money.

He added that “The money was carried out in the pockets of the businesses and the white people who fled as fast as they could.” Conservative economist Thomas Sowell once noted that before the riots, Detroit's black population had the highest rate of home-ownership of any black urban population in the country, and their unemployment rate was just 3.4 percent.
“It was not despair that fueled the riot,” he wrote.“It was the riot which marked the beginning of the decline of Detroit to its current state of despair. Detroit's population today is only half of what it once was, and its most productive people have been the ones who fled.”
Enzyte Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Brutal honesty in the comment section:

-Rioting was great fun; burning looting, showin the man. And then Otto Kerner and John Lindsay said it was all whitey's fault. And the liberal establishment, academics, big city mayors, media pundits, all said it's whitey's fault. And whitey said, "I'm outa here. "

So this last year or two, all those academics, big city mayors and media pundits, took a large street punk named Treyvon Martin, ignored his drug use, immersion in violent hip hop and martial arts culture and burglary, and made him into a loveable 13 yo and tried to lynch some Hispanic. It was great fun. All all those other people, just like in 1967, are listening.

-why do white people care so much about physical safety. don't they know they have white privilege and deserve an evening of the score?
so unfair to take their tax base with them.

-Funny how all the blacks say the white man brings them down and keeps th fom prosperity - but when they have a onfe prosperous city handed to them (80%+ black) they manage to drive it into the largest municipal bankruptcy in US history - AND STILL BLAME THE WHITES! My god, give me a break. Take some friggen responsibility for once.
Sadly this is coming to a country near you. Obama is on track to bankrupt the US, but it won't be $20 Billion, no, Obama is going all out and will leave office (if we still have one) with over $20 Trillion in bad debt. Obama is playing the same game Detroit did, and it's going to end badly for all of us; white, black, brown, green, rainbow - it won't matter - bankruptcy is color blind.

-Coming Soon... Delta City.
This message has been brought to you by Omni Consumer Products.

Enzyte Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Judged:

REPEAT:

Conservative economist Thomas Sowell once noted that before the riots, Detroit's black population had the highest rate of home-ownership of any black urban population in the country, and their unemployment rate was just 3.4 percent.
“It was not despair that fueled the riot,” he wrote.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Judged:

And people think rioting proves a point.(LOL) Nope, It's the same excuse for free shit that lazy fuq's that don't want to work. While then, the smart & lucky enough people move and leave the trash behind. Then the good ole Government patches shit up with a gimme-rat checks and people grow accustom to poverty.

Look how the people act on that show "Hardcore Pawn".
Real Tea Party

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Judged:

Good news for the people, now if they can get rid of all public service who bankrupted the economy to begin with, eliminate their pensions and force them to work longer that will save the government lots of money to rebuild that city, and attract business.

Force the police to work at Walmart to earn a paycheck! They do not deserve a dime they didn't pay much for their retirement anyway, just like the senior citizens in this country who don't pay squat for social security, parasites!
sidekick

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
REPEAT:
Conservative economist Thomas Sowell once noted that before the riots, Detroit's black population had the highest rate of home-ownership of any black urban population in the country, and their unemployment rate was just 3.4 percent.
“It was not despair that fueled the riot,” he wrote.
Then what was it, Sowell? No answer? Let me guess... A bunch of hot head drunks ruined it and the ignorance was unleashed at the white folk.
Enzyte Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what was it, Sowell? No answer? Let me guess... A bunch of hot head drunks ruined it and the ignorance was unleashed at the white folk.
Yep. That's what it sounds like to me.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

One of the ideas I heard yesterday was to raze the abandoned buildings and go back to agriculture. I find it interesting that all of a sudden companies are touting that it is made in the USA, you can speak with someone live on the phone, etc. Imagine that...we, as Americans, don't want outsourcing. Back to basics people.
They cannot kill a Spook

Clayton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

GlitterSucks wrote:
One of the ideas I heard yesterday was to raze the abandoned buildings and go back to agriculture. I find it interesting that all of a sudden companies are touting that it is made in the USA, you can speak with someone live on the phone, etc. Imagine that...we, as Americans, don't want outsourcing. Back to basics people.
I would rather speak to an Indian or chink for tech service on computers or.phones. i don't want some boot lipped skank retard from Chicago or Atlanta.
bart

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

If Obama had a city...
bart

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

GlitterSucks wrote:
Fence it all in and turn it into a prison.
whistle

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

I am sure Obama will fix it.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

bart wrote:
If Obama had a city...
Detroit: 90% black

Detroit: 98% for Obama

We must do to Detroit what Rome did to Carthage
hey now hey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's stay American...what Curtis LeMay did to Tokyo.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

hey now hey wrote:
<quoted text>Let's stay American...what Curtis LeMay did to Tokyo.
The Japanese were bombed into ruins, and rebuilt.

Detroit wasn't bombed, it was blacked. No rebuilding.
They cannot kill a Spook

Clayton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time I was at Joe lewis Arena I took a drive around killing time. Some of those buildings in the chrysler commercials are burnt out collapsed shells and have been so for several years. Took alot of computer touch ups for those commercials.
hey now hey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll concede your position is the better. Leave the sh^thole stinking as a memorial to the incompetence, lazyiess, criminality, and corruption of organized blackness.
Real Tea Party

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's move the blacks back to the South and work for free like it used to be. No more wages and pure profits for us. The American way.

But Roman used their own slaves you won't have the courage to do so.
Neutral Party

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

What is happening to Detroit is what America is heading towards. Better wake up and realize this undisciplined approach to fiscal management is suicidal.

Even the rich can't fund this spending spree.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

41 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 24 min Old Guy 29,340
Colorado unveils Obamacare tax to boost struggl... 44 min They cannot kill a Spook 2
Michael Moore, movie-making critic of capitalis... 48 min They cannot kill a Spook 2
Obama seen as threat to Constitution 1 hr Male 46
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 1 hr sadcarrot 826
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Male 2,904
palin: americans will support impeachment if...... 2 hr Duke for Mayor 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••