“PLANET EARTH”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 28, 2014
Monopoly - I Did Not Know This!

(You'll never look at the game the same way again!)

Starting in 1941, an increasing number of British Airmen found themselves as the involuntary guests of the Third Reich, and the Crown was casting about for ways and means to facilitate their escape...

Now obviously, one of the most helpful aids to that end is a useful and accurate map, one showing not only where stuff was, but also showing the locations of 'safe houses' where a POW on-the-lam could go for food and shelter.

Paper maps had some real drawbacks -- they make a lot of noise when you open and fold them, they wear out rapidly, and if they get wet, they turn into mush.

Someone in MI-5 (similar to America 's OSS ) got the idea of printing escape maps on silk. It's durable, can be scrunched-up into tiny wads, and unfolded as many times as needed, and makes no noise whatsoever.

At that time, there was only one manufacturer in Great Britain that had perfected the technology of printing on silk, and that was John Waddington, Ltd. When approached by the government, the firm was only too happy to do its bit for the war effort.

By pure coincidence, Waddington was also the U.K. Licensee for the popular American board game, Monopoly. As it happened,'games and pastimes' was a category of item qualified for insertion into 'CARE packages', dispatched by the International Red Cross to prisoners of war.
Under the strictest of secrecy, in a securely guarded and inaccessible old workshop on the grounds of Waddington's, a group of sworn-to-secrecy employees began mass-producing escape maps, keyed to each region of Germany, Italy, France or where ever Allied POW camps were located. When processed, these maps could be folded into such tiny dots that they would actually fit inside a Monopoly playing piece.

“PLANET EARTH”

Location hidden

#2 Jan 28, 2014
This is true and part two is another thread....
What genius....
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#3 Jan 28, 2014
BizzyBee wrote:
This is true and part two is another thread....
What genius....
Yes it was.

“PLANET EARTH”

Location hidden

#4 Jan 28, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it was.
Spook, did you know they did this? I had to look it up to verify the info.
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#5 Jan 28, 2014
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
Spook, did you know they did this? I had to look it up to verify the info.
I knew about the silk maps. Not specificly about monopoly pieces having compass parts in them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Murder Suspect Admits To Chopping Up Former Gir... 6 min He Is An Animal 2
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 13 min Lady Jane 4,589
BREAKING: Ferguson GJ Ruling Reached 16 min They cannot kill ... 3
Should Obama be impeached due to Benghazi, IRS ... (May '13) 31 min Go Blue Forever 459
Catman Dave how are the Cats and everyone eles'... 53 min They cannot kill ... 10
Western & Southern seeks agents in Columbus area 1 hr IMPEACH OBAMA 1
The best city for the 2016 Democratic National ... 2 hr Jonathon 0
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 6 hr Nice Try 2,517
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:12 pm PST

ESPN12:12PM
Manziel, entourage involved in fight at hotel