Ohio State To Get $100M Gift | WBNS-1...

Ohio State To Get $100M Gift | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 96 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Feb 16, 2011, titled Ohio State To Get $100M Gift | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

The Ohio State University will receive the largest monetary gift in its history on Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

Col Hannibal Smith

Columbus, OH

#75 Feb 16, 2011
Bitter wrote:
Mr. Wexner, you should have put some of that money towards Easton security. It is going down. I am afraid to go there.
It just got a new name cahnge at that."The Easton Ghetto".
Really

Columbus, OH

#76 Feb 16, 2011
Bitter wrote:
Mr. Wexner, you should have put some of that money towards Easton security. It is going down. I am afraid to go there.
It's not Wexner's job to protect the city. It's Coleman's!! Direct your anger correctly.
Really

Columbus, OH

#77 Feb 16, 2011
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>You are wrong he received money from his mother to start the business.
Incorrect. It was from his Aunt.
Really

Columbus, OH

#78 Feb 16, 2011
Wexner is not responsible for the City's safety or homeless problem. These are issue the infamous Mayor Coleman is supposed to be handling...and it's obvious he's not doing his job.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#79 Feb 16, 2011
What a freaking waste...I could think of plenty of places in this city that actually needed that money (Childrens & Ronald Mcdonald House, James Cancer hospital, Grants towards future educations, Stimulus...)

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#80 Feb 16, 2011
He only did this for the fame. There's no recognition in helping sick kids.
putter

United States

#81 Feb 16, 2011
that's good news, i run into him at the starbucks and he's a nice guy. he can feel free to give me a million also
truth

Blacklick, OH

#82 Feb 16, 2011
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. It was from his Aunt.
Check the Wiki Truth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Wexner
truth

Blacklick, OH

#83 Feb 16, 2011
Marc wrote:
Like OSU needs more money! There are private universites such as Ohio Dominican that could REALLY use a donation. Ohio Dominican is a university that has been here since 1911 and has very few benefactors.
Lex is Jewish my brotha!
truth

Blacklick, OH

#84 Feb 16, 2011
Details wrote:
Anyone who says negative things about Les Wexner is just nuts. He could choose anywhere in the world to live, yet he maintains his residence here. He invested in our area and provided jobs and shopping. He gives money to the arts, education, and medical fields. He also encourages philanthropy among his employees. The Limited regularly has the largest group at the Race for the Cure every year, among other charitable work.
The James and OSU in general are respected as top-notch medical facilities that provide research breakthroughs in various illnesses and treatment. I am baffled as to what any of this has to do with tuition, the homeless, the average citizen, or whatever other crazy unrelated issue people are mouthing off about.
Lex owns multiple homes:
http://www.columbusmonthly.com/articles/2011/...
balzy

Columbus, OH

#85 Feb 16, 2011
i appreciate what the wexners are doing and what they have done in the past for our city.As for the mess at easton, it is not his fault these punks bring guns and fight at easton, i fault the poor parenting or no parenting, they are the ones to blame
MMM

Columbus, OH

#86 Feb 16, 2011
LivUrOwnLyfe wrote:
What a freaking waste...I could think of plenty of places in this city that actually needed that money (Childrens & Ronald Mcdonald House, James Cancer hospital, Grants towards future educations, Stimulus...)
Hmm that's odd since he donated it to The James...
sensei

Lancaster, OH

#87 Feb 16, 2011
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Lex is Jewish my brotha!
I like his yacht.
Ryan1980

Canal Winchester, OH

#89 Feb 16, 2011
It is unbelievable how many people are criticizing this donation. No matter what establishment, charity, or group he--or any other person--made a sizable donation to I guarantee someone would complain. Your complaints and criticisms are based purely out of your own selfishness and sense of entitlement. It is his money and he can donate it as he wishes just as I can choose where I donate my money (not $100 million but money nonetheless). It is amazing that someone would donate such a large sum to any organization so I think it is a great gesture of his dedication to the University and the Central Ohio area.
Djones

Denver, CO

#90 Feb 16, 2011
Why are people upset over what wexner does with HIS money. Half of the people here with negative comments have probably never even spared change to a homeless person. Its extremely generous to do what he did. And even If he gave 100 million to a knitting association, it's his money!
jfa

Harveysburg, OH

#91 Feb 16, 2011
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Lex is Jewish my brotha!
I would have never guessed. A jew linked with the "find a cure" fraud.
G I Joe

Marysville, OH

#92 Feb 16, 2011
Before anything is done with the money the big shots will get their share. And Tressel will get a raise he does not deserve
jyp

Reynoldsburg, OH

#93 Feb 16, 2011
I don't think people are disgusted with the donation, but rather the media acting as though he has the ability to 'walk on water'. The write up in the Dispatch made my stomach churn. Most people that give a large sum of money do so privately. He not only made the front page but also had a full page 'ad'.(not sure who paid for the ad) And, before anyone comments about the media requesting his photo or story...he could've said...'no thank you'. That amount of money for him is nothing and he's giving it over a 9 year period, so yes, he has a guaranteed tax write off for 9 years!
GoBux

Columbus, OH

#94 Feb 16, 2011
You know folks, you don't have to shop at the limited... There are other places, not sure if you knew that. I think most people figured that out already as their sales are in the tank.

If you think the price is too much, that he is rude to employees and doesn't pay a decent wage... you have a CHOICE to buy your things elsewhere and if you work there and don't like it... try to find another place to work. Sitting around complaining isn't going to get you real far. Also, spoiler alert: I don't think low paid jobs are specific to the limited. I think you will find them pretty much anywhere.

Honestly, it amazes me how people on here can turn a great thing into such a disgusting rambling. Nothing can please anyone. If he sat on his fortune, you would be complaining that he doesn't give his money away. He gives it away and you rip him for giving it to Ohio State. As it is his money, I think he should be able to decide who he gives it to. Go make your own fortune and you can give it to whoever you want.

Bottom line, the gift is for a hospital. It shares a name and is of course affiliated with OSU, but is run as a completely separate entity. It has its own budget and stands on its own financial footing. If you don't have insurance, this hospital will still treat you, not all do. So those of you who think this doesn't benefit those less fortunate and doesn't serve the community, you couldn't be more wrong. Perhaps you should think about something before you go play judge and jury on this man.

Statistically speaking, 30% and yes, this includes those of you spewing hate, may find yourself in that hospital someday with cancer. I doubt seriously that you will be questioning his gift if GOD forbid it happens to you.
Disgruntled

Portsmouth, OH

#95 Feb 16, 2011
cidem wrote:
I do not know what Mr Wexner pays his employees but a decent salary with good benefits is the least they should recieve. I did hear at one time he allowed his employees a day a week with pay to volunteer in the schools. That is fantastic if true.I do believe that tuition should NOT be raised though. There are young men and women out there who may discover cures and treatments for illnesses but cannot afford the tuition.
WEll your wrong i work there and he could not give a crap about his employees

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Federal lands in America 1 min Seriouslady 44
SCOTUS ruling in AHCA 11 min Seriouslady 65
News Port Columbus airport could soon be renamed for... 13 min Big Johnson 9
Women who still wear Sears & Roebuck brazziers ... 15 min Seriouslady 17
Men in the Girls Bathroom 57 min Rob 334
States to sue WH over Bathrooms debacle 3 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 4
News Ikea starts work on Polaris-area store, due to ... 5 hr Pam 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages