Bike rider dies after cars hit her | ...

Bike rider dies after cars hit her | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 74 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 12, 2011, titled Bike rider dies after cars hit her | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A bicyclist died early yesterday morning after three vehicles struck her in Clintonville late Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jamie

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 12, 2011
Thoughts and prayers with her family. I will be sticking to the bike paths today. Too many bad drivers out there to risk it.
Hey Dick I mean Dirk

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 12, 2011
Bicyclist should be safe to ride at anytime.
bump thump thump

Blacklick, OH

#4 Jun 12, 2011
Hey Dick I mean Dirk wrote:
Bicyclist should be safe to ride at anytime.
Then they should stay off the roads in Columbus.
bump thump thump

Blacklick, OH

#5 Jun 12, 2011
Jamie wrote:
Thoughts and prayers with her family. I will be sticking to the bike paths today. Too many bad drivers out there to risk it.
Bright boy!
Daniel Bunn

Hilliard, OH

#7 Jun 12, 2011
Can we have more information on this event? There is plenty of street lighting on this stretch of road, and apparently no excuse for the lady to have be struck. I, myself, commute to work by bike and bus in this area.
So, who was faulted for the collision? Was the car that fled the one that initially struck her? For the sake of biking safety (I'm saying this as a matter of unfortunate reality!), did her bike have front and rear lights, was she wearing clothing easily seen at night, and was she in the right hand lane?
A quarter to midnight on a friday night is dangerous to many persons outside. It is reprehensible when motorists refuse to take responsibility for their actions, for this lady may still have been alive today if the car driver had stopped and notified the authorities right away.
bump thump thump

Blacklick, OH

#8 Jun 12, 2011
Dirk wrote:
Riding near midnight. Darwin
WATCH THIS: http://vimeo.com/24572222

There is plenty of blame to go around.
Condolences

Houston, TX

#10 Jun 12, 2011
My condolences to her family and prayers going up. Accept help being offered and stick close to each other. This time too will pass. Godspeed. We'll keep you in prayer.
old news

Howard, OH

#11 Jun 12, 2011
bicycles do not belong on the street,period.
nervous cyclist

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 12, 2011
Yet another cyclist is killed in Columbus AND YET ANOTHER perpetrator flees the scene.

The fleeing person's license should be revoked permanently after a stiff jail sentence.
anonymous

Columbus, OH

#13 Jun 12, 2011
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>h
They are not.
They do what every the f&^% they want with no regard to the law.
They should be outlawed on any road over 25mph.
ok then genius tell City and state lawmakers to make it legal once again to ride on the sidewalk, by the way she was a dear gfriend of mine and she had no choice but to ride her bike to work. People do what they have to do to survive in the messed world!!!!
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 12, 2011
Awe, all the bike haters are out early today. Too bad their little simple brains can't comprehend that cyclists must ride in the road to obey they laws. AND last time I checked, there is nothing in the ORC that says cyclists can't ride after dark. So all you haters can lick it.
SNP

Pickerington, OH

#15 Jun 12, 2011
I commute to the Morse/Karl area to work almost daily. While the creation of Morse bike lane was well-intention, IMO the heavy traffic on Morse makes it a tough road to ride on, even with the bike lane. Then, the fact that the lane only covers part of the lenght of Morse forces riders to brave the remaining segments w/no path. I'm not sure what part of Morse this woman was on, but it's a tough ride, no matter where.

I try not to ride late at night, especially on weekend when there are too many drunk drivers. Also I wear a reflective vest and have front & back lights, plus reflective tape on my bike.

It's very sad this woman died because of careless drivers, or worse. Legally, she had just as much right to be on the road as they do.
sam the sham

Mount Vernon, OH

#16 Jun 12, 2011
She had a right to be riding a bicycle at that hour on that street, but the risks were increased. I'd do it only if I absolutely had to and if I was wearing as much reflective clothing and equipment as possible. I'd also research my route to see if a safer alternative existed. For example, one block south of where she was struck is Jeffrey Place, a residential street with very little traffic at that hour. It would have been out of her way a bit, but it would have taken her off of Morse Road for about a mile.
oh in tx

Austin, TX

#17 Jun 12, 2011
glad I made it out of Columbus with all the backwards mentality there. Why the hate, just chill out and pass a cyclist with 3 ft of space. No big deal.
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#18 Jun 12, 2011
SNP wrote:
I commute to the Morse/Karl area to work almost daily. While the creation of Morse bike lane was well-intention, IMO the heavy traffic on Morse makes it a tough road to ride on, even with the bike lane. Then, the fact that the lane only covers part of the lenght of Morse forces riders to brave the remaining segments w/no path. I'm not sure what part of Morse this woman was on, but it's a tough ride, no matter where.
I try not to ride late at night, especially on weekend when there are too many drunk drivers. Also I wear a reflective vest and have front & back lights, plus reflective tape on my bike.
It's very sad this woman died because of careless drivers, or worse. Legally, she had just as much right to be on the road as they do.
I always find that motorist rarely go the posted speed limit of 35mph on that road. When I ride (in my car) down that road going the speed limit I get paced by almost everyone.
anonymous

Columbus, OH

#19 Jun 12, 2011
This goes out to those of you who want to criticize this woman for riding her bike to work, I want you to say all of the ridiculous things you have been saying on here to her girlfriend's face, to all 5 of the kids she left behind , and to all of her friends and family that are grieveing over her death. I also want you to put yourself in her place and think about that!!! So please lets have the severe and negative comments and remarks stop and please have some respect for the dead as well as the rest of humanity!!!!!!!!!!
anonymous

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 12, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
Awe, all the bike haters are out early today. Too bad their little simple brains can't comprehend that cyclists must ride in the road to obey they laws. AND last time I checked, there is nothing in the ORC that says cyclists can't ride after dark. So all you haters can lick it.
Thanks DrC. You are someone who gets it and understands thanks for that comment it is noted and appreciated by the family.
scram

Columbus, OH

#22 Jun 12, 2011
bump thump thump wrote:
<quoted text>
WATCH THIS: http://vimeo.com/24572222
There is plenty of blame to go around.
Man that video was shocking,I would NOT last in New York a full day , It's a free for all !
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#23 Jun 12, 2011
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are being paced it means they are going the same speed as you.
Thanks for the correction, I meant to say "passed."
Pete

Columbus, OH

#24 Jun 12, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
ok then genius tell City and state lawmakers to make it legal once again to ride on the sidewalk, by the way she was a dear gfriend of mine and she had no choice but to ride her bike to work. People do what they have to do to survive in the messed world!!!!
I'm no genius, but I smart enough not to ride a bike on Morse Road.
She could have taken Jeffery Pl or walked. That would have been safer.
People on here think I'm a bike hater because I don't think bikes should
be on any road over 25mph. Not true, I hate seeing people get killed
because they have the right to ride. Now someone has to live with the fact
they killed someone. That can be tough.
A bike can't go with the flow. You got people out their in 3000 pound plus
cars and trucks going 35,45,55 mph talking on the phone,eating,smoking,doing makeup
drunk, reading and whatever and someone on a bike going 10 to 15 mph.
That's just dumb

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's single digits in the deep south where's AL... 3 min Newschannel 5 189
STILL WAITING for someone to explain how the wo... 4 min chaffy 23
News More snow, below-freezing temperatures expected... 6 min Newschannel 5 4
Remember back in 2015 when Hillary said she fav... 11 min PF 2
Wonder what Martin Luther King would've thought... 13 min tronz 8
Donald J. Trump 2 hr White Fangs 2
Democrats Will get Best Possible Deal. Republic... 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2
T Minus 4 3 2 1 ,,,, | Mueller Gone! 4 hr They cannot kill ... 182
John Corby died Jan 20. 2018 7 hr 35angel 36
News WTVN-AM radio host John Corby dies at age 61 7 hr Reality Speaks 14
Republicans: Shut Down Gov't, Cover some Tax Re... 7 hr Reality Speaks 79
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) Sat 404 not found 345

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages