Woman Survives Encounter With Tornado...

Woman Survives Encounter With Tornado | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 39 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Sep 21, 2010, titled Woman Survives Encounter With Tornado | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

As portions of central Ohio clean up from last week's severe weather, a woman said Monday that her life is forever altered after a close encounter with one of the 11 tornadoes that touched down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BestDaughterInTh eBusiness

United States

#29 Sep 21, 2010
MY NAME IS EARL wrote:
Yeah right...where was toto
LOL
Well Earl, ya knw what the Dixie Chicks had to say about You!! Watch out for the next storm....
BestDaughterInTh eBusiness

United States

#30 Sep 21, 2010
Wee-Bay wrote:
I find her story very hard to believe.
No damage to the car?
She's not injuried?
Uhmmm hunny, she is injured sprained knee and ankle and hip, so STOP ;D
Columbus, OH

#31 Sep 21, 2010
Dorthy, maybe its karma out to get you.....ever think about that???
MaryK

Columbus, OH

#32 Sep 21, 2010
Just because she may have shown "bad judgment" in photographing the tornado, does not mean she is a bad nurse. She just didn't know that tornadoes can move so quickly. How many of us know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING? You can have bad judgment about something you don't know about, but can be an expert in your own field. People just love to slam other people as a form of recreation. Sheesh.
eww

United States

#33 Sep 21, 2010
karma wrote:
Dorthy, maybe its karma out to get you.....ever think about that???
whoever you are susan is an amazing person take that and shove it up your ass
Ohio

Jacksonville, FL

#35 Sep 21, 2010
Everyone needs to get a life and not pass judgement so quickly. You were not there and do not know what she experienced. If you are so sure the story is false then man up and request an interview with WBNS-10TV and tell us your side.... Didn't think so!!
Teacher

Columbus, OH

#36 Sep 21, 2010
I think that Susan and her daughter (i.e. BestDaughterInTheBusiness), need to learn how to spell. If you are going to defend yourself at least do it correctly. I am sure you are a good nurse, apparently they do not teach spelling where you went to college and you did not teach your child. Your story may be true, however if you were "sitting in your car" when it was picked up and moved, then how did you sustain your injuries? Why does the car not have any damage? Did the tornado sit the car down very delicately? I believe you saw the tornado and seeked shelter, but that is it! Everything else has to be fabricated!
raychaelrayy

United States

#37 Sep 21, 2010
Love ya Susan so glad you are ok.
Kylah Ratliff

Caldwell, OH

#38 Sep 21, 2010
You people seriously are going to get on a NEWS website and make fun of someone's hairstyle?? I bet you are some nasty old man with no teeth and long greasy hair so you have no room to sit here & say bad stuff about Susan. I have known Susan for quite a while and have never heard one lie come out of her mouth. No person who TAKES CARE OF PEOPLE for a living would make up something like that. They definately would not help an elderly man make up some story. Could you get anymore immature? Honestly.. GROW UP!!!
Really

Dublin, OH

#39 Sep 21, 2010
How many of you have actually been in a tornado? Seriously...get over yourselves and leave her alone.
NWS Spotter

Columbus, OH

#40 Sep 21, 2010
I can vouch for Susan's story as I was a spotter on duty in that particular area and observed the initial touchdown. The EF ratings are given based on damage done because, generally, no-one is in the area to actually observe the storm. From my perspective I would estimate winds of 115-130 mph based on the swirl of debris kicked up. That is more than enough to lift a small car off the ground. As far as unbelievable with no injuries just remember that there have been folks carried for miles in tornadoes and left unharmed in the end. Just to the East of this area the NWS did confirm EF-2 damage. Unless any of you were there then you have no basis to judge her story at all. I was in that area and know what was happening at ground level.
NWS Spotter

Columbus, OH

#41 Sep 21, 2010
Teacher wrote:
I think that Susan and her daughter (i.e. BestDaughterInTheBusiness), need to learn how to spell. If you are going to defend yourself at least do it correctly. I am sure you are a good nurse, apparently they do not teach spelling where you went to college and you did not teach your child. Your story may be true, however if you were "sitting in your car" when it was picked up and moved, then how did you sustain your injuries? Why does the car not have any damage? Did the tornado sit the car down very delicately? I believe you saw the tornado and seeked shelter, but that is it! Everything else has to be fabricated!
Let me remind you of the many stories of people carried for miles in a tornado and gently returned to earth unscratched. I am a NWS Spotter and was in that area when it touched down. With precipitation possibly obscuring her view it is very possible to be caught in the circulation without realizing it until it's too late. Her injuries seem consistent with being jostled around in a car. Here's a question to ponder -- how can a tornado strip all the feathers off a chicken without hurting it? This has been repeatedly documented. I would challenge you to think before you judge and to set an example for your students of gathering facts before you make a judgment.
Mary

Corning, OH

#42 Sep 21, 2010
I think there are just a bunch of stupid people out there, that don't know the truth if it hit them in the face. This was a very scary situation, and people shouldn't be so damn rude and go as far as make fun of people. They will get theirs in the end, it always happens that way. And for some reason when they have to go thru everything she has gone thru, then they won't be so quick to judge. I am very thankful to God that she is o.k. Have you all really looked at yourself lately?? And if you would go thru this would you look the same? Hell no.People need to grow up!!!
Sweet T

Columbus, OH

#43 Sep 22, 2010
Teacher wrote:
Wow, aren't you the petty one! You are a teacher and you are worried about spelling and grammar at a time when someone could have lost their life and was faced with a life altering situation. A mother experienced a horrible ordeal and lived to tell what happened(with WITNESSES to back her story up)and her daughter had to come to her mother's defense because of insensitive people like yourself. You are supposed to be a role model, example and guidance to childen and you are criticizing her and her daughter's spelling. You should be ashamed of yourself. I know I am embarrassed for you. Hope your students do not figure out who you are so they won't think less of you. I know I do. It amazes me that in a time of crisis, people are so shallow, petty and callous.
2 cents

Elmhurst, IL

#44 Sep 22, 2010
Susan Lyons wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be glad to share with you every detail of what i remember from that day. No i dont know why they estimated i was lifted .5 mile it was more like 500 feet. And my profession in Nursing has taught me a great deal about integrity. If for a minute i thought someone whould doubt this terror that i experienced i would have never agreed to an interview. I truly am lucky to be alive. I was snapping pictures out my drivers side window and not looking at them as i was driving. I was driving away from the funnel cloud. it was later that i realized that the funnel cloud was about a .5 mile wide at that point. So before you judge me and my professional experience, i just want you to know that I was held up at work 40 minutes to take care of a patient or i would have never been in that spot at that time, i would have been home with my family and safe.
Ignore the BS spewed by those who know nothing. Like Nws spotter said tornados have been known to carry people great distances and leave them "unharmed".

Good info for those that want to know: www.crh.noaa.gov/images/gid/WCM/safety/myths....
Jon H

Columbus, OH

#45 Sep 22, 2010
That lady is a hero.
BesttDaughter

United States

#46 Sep 22, 2010
Teacher wrote:
HOW ABOUT YOU LISTEN HERE! IM 15 YEARS OLD, IM USED TO TEXTING HOW ABOUT YOU GROW UP! I ADD EXTRA LETTERS TO EVERYTHING AND SHORTEN A LOT OF THINGS, SO DONT JUDGE ME! IM SORRY YOU FEEL THE NEED TO PICK ON A FIFTEEN YEAR OLD ABOUT HER LITTLE SPELLING PROBLEMS, LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE SOME REAL INSECURITIES, HOW ABOUT YOU GO TAKE CARE OF THAT BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME ;D ALRIGHT ;) HAVE A NICE DAY !
most respected in newark

Newark, OH

#47 Sep 24, 2010
this goes out to all the people that want to talk s**t about Susan. First off let me tell you that she has been through more than anyone else i ever knew. if the story wasnt true, do you think that the news and some little old guy would take time to report this story to everyone ?how about you all are lames and are disrespectful. you want to make fun of a 15 year old and someone that hepls save lives for a living, wow thats cool. i wish i could be lame enough to sit around and make fun of people all day, maybe i'll do that for a living when i grow up! ha ! so while all you haters arre busy thinking of your next rude comment or act for attention with negitive feedback, jsut remember, your probably sitting at home right now eating oreos that you bought with your FOODSTAMP CARD. you all are a bunch of retards hiding behind computers because you know if you really showed your face or even had the balls to tell her to her face, you would be humiliated. so thats my comment, to the fake ass people who dont have any balls or respect. thank you and i love you susan, dont listen to these people your better than that. it is just a shame the tornado didnt pick them up n take them to work where they should be!!!!
I know

Chicago, IL

#48 Sep 25, 2010
most respected in newark wrote:
this goes out to all the people that want to talk s**t about Susan. First off let me tell you that she has been through more than anyone else i ever knew. if the story wasnt true, do you think that the news and some little old guy would take time to report this story to everyone ?how about you all are lames and are disrespectful. you want to make fun of a 15 year old and someone that hepls save lives for a living, wow thats cool. i wish i could be lame enough to sit around and make fun of people all day, maybe i'll do that for a living when i grow up! ha ! so while all you haters arre busy thinking of your next rude comment or act for attention with negitive feedback, jsut remember, your probably sitting at home right now eating oreos that you bought with your FOODSTAMP CARD. you all are a bunch of retards hiding behind computers because you know if you really showed your face or even had the balls to tell her to her face, you would be humiliated. so thats my comment, to the fake **** people who dont have any balls or respect. thank you and i love you susan, dont listen to these people your better than that. it is just a shame the tornado didnt pick them up n take them to work where they should be!!!!
So funny!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dewiney ON Taylor ? 11 min Reality Speaks 9
Keep Scott Pruitt But Only at Min Wage Salary! 13 min Reality Speaks 24
Sean Hannity 15 min Reality Speaks 25
TrumpRussia's a chauffeur and gopher for GOP 19 min Reality Speaks 14
The Comey Interview 22 min 404 not found 133
Hi. I'm Holly Hylton and I was just doing my jo... 1 hr Leftist Handjob 7
Hi im Holly Hylton Your Local Racist Starbucks ... 8 hr Spook 49

Columbus Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages