Columbus, Ohio?

Created by Oliver T2000 on Feb 1, 2013

57 votes

Click on an option to vote

Little city

Big town

Press 1 for English

Going ghetto fast

Self-important and delusional

Fast food capital of the world

PIZZA!! BUCKEYES!!

2nd rate and rinky-dink

Dead year round

Coleman's Kingdom

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#101 Feb 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said Columbus is the greatest place in the world. That designation is mostly reserved for European cities. But you're delusional if you think those Bugtussle places are so great. For someone to say Nashville or Asheville are light years better than Columbus? LOL
The term is usually referred to Canadian or Australian cities, with Oz taking most of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World 's_most_livable_cities

Only Vienna and Helsinki are European

And Vienna is 10% Muslim and growing, they may yet beat what the Ottomans could not in 1683

Finland is usually the most homogeneous nation of Europe. Helsinki is only 10% third worlder, lower than most US cities.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#102 Feb 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Let's be honest, Bob. One reason this city is lacking is identity to outsiders. How many of the top 50 metro area cities have people attaching the name of the state to them, aside from perhaps Kansas City? For crying out loud, it's embarrassing to hear Columbus, "Ohio" even from a lot of natives.
Identity is one thing and you are correct, though I'm not really sure what Kansas City or Milwaukee stands for either. But what you see at street level here, you have to admit it's generally pretty good.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#103 Feb 2, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Or San Bernadino, CA
Rhode Island at large has the problem too.
The only unspoiled place in Rhode Island is Newport.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#104 Feb 2, 2013
Catman Dave wrote:
<quoted text>Casino??? I guess it has been a long time since I was there,1995.I used to hang out at that mall down the street from there.
Westland Mall is a "dead" mall.
http://deadmalls.com/malls/westland_mall.html

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#105 Feb 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Let's be honest, Bob. One reason this city is lacking is identity to outsiders. How many of the top 50 metro area cities have people attaching the name of the state to them, aside from perhaps Kansas City? For crying out loud, it's embarrassing to hear Columbus, "Ohio" even from a lot of natives.
Because there is no NFL or MLB

That's what makes you a big deal, and that's why "Cleveland" is never seen as "Cleveland, Ohio" even when there are multiple Clevelands nationwide.

"Columbus, Georgia" Pop 200K
"Columbus, Indiana" Pop 44K

Cleveland, Georgia Pop 4K
Cleveland, Tennessee Pop 41K

The big deal is that there is a mid size city in Georgia that has the same name. And no pro sports beyond the NHL.

That's why Buffalo, despite being an absolute dump, is better known. It has an NFL team, it will not die until that team moves to Toronto.

And Cuomo will do anything to keep it there, look at the map and realize how well Carl Paladino did there in 2010, imagine a sane guy like that next year, with the same anger in WNY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bills_Stadi...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/1...

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#106 Feb 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
But you live out in the sticks and most people don't want to live in Mayberry.
I live on the outskirts of upscale suburbs.
Privacy, convenience and lower taxes are all mine.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#107 Feb 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Identity is one thing and you are correct, though I'm not really sure what Kansas City or Milwaukee stands for either. But what you see at street level here, you have to admit it's generally pretty good.
KC- Royals, Chiefs, BBQ

Milwaukee-Brewers, Bucks, Beer

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#108 Feb 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Identity is one thing and you are correct, though I'm not really sure what Kansas City or Milwaukee stands for either.
If nothing else, "Royals and Chiefs" and "Brewers and Bucks" respectively. Hundreds of times a day on TV and radio sports scores all over North America. Even in major hockey markets, the CBJ barely get a mention unless they were beaten by that city's team.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#109 Feb 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>If nothing else, "Royals and Chiefs" and "Brewers and Bucks" respectively. Hundreds of times a day on TV and radio sports scores all over North America. Even in major hockey markets, the CBJ barely get a mention unless they were beaten by that city's team.
Damn, you hit it the same time as I did!
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#110 Feb 2, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Because there is no NFL or MLB
That's what makes you a big deal, and that's why "Cleveland" is never seen as "Cleveland, Ohio" even when there are multiple Clevelands nationwide.
I don't think it's such a big deal anymore. Maybe it was in the 1960's when there were three TV channels, but not today. People have so much stuff to do these days, the games are not really that important to most people. A snippet I found below says an average game is watched by 17.5 million viewers ... that doesn't sound like a lot.

NBC Sunday Night Football ranked as the most-watched primetime program for the second consecutive fall season averaging 21.5 million viewers. The Week 17 SNF game (Cowboys-Giants) was the most-watched Sunday primetime game in NFL regular-season history with an average of 27.6 million viewers.

FOXís Sunday National telecast was the most-watched show among all programs with an average of 25.8 million viewers.

CBSí Sunday National telecast was the second-most-watched program among all shows with an average of 24.3 million viewers.

ESPNís Monday Night Football was the most-watched series on cable for the sixth straight year with an average of 13.3 million viewers.

NFL Network wrapped up its sixth season of Thursday Night Football with a record average of 6.2 million cable viewers.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#111 Feb 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Westland Mall is a "dead" mall.
http://deadmalls.com/malls/westland_mall.html
That sucks.I guess nothing stays the same.I miss trucking,I had so much fun waking up in a different state every day.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#112 Feb 2, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
KC- Royals, Chiefs, BBQ
Milwaukee-Brewers, Bucks, Beer
Means nothing. It tells me nothing about what kind of city it is, the demographics, what kind of people live there, the fabric of the area, etc.

Who cares about Lamar Hunt's sports teams.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#113 Feb 2, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Because there is no NFL or MLB
That's what makes you a big deal, and that's why "Cleveland" is never seen as "Cleveland, Ohio" even when there are multiple Clevelands nationwide.
"Columbus, Georgia" Pop 200K
"Columbus, Indiana" Pop 44K
Cleveland, Georgia Pop 4K
Cleveland, Tennessee Pop 41K
The big deal is that there is a mid size city in Georgia that has the same name. And no pro sports beyond the NHL.
That's why Buffalo, despite being an absolute dump, is better known. It has an NFL team, it will not die until that team moves to Toronto.
And Cuomo will do anything to keep it there, look at the map and realize how well Carl Paladino did there in 2010, imagine a sane guy like that next year, with the same anger in WNY.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bills_Stadi...
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/1...
The fact that Cleveland had a mid 20th century population of nearly 1,000,000 while Columbus had 375,000 was significant as well.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#114 Feb 2, 2013
Catman Dave wrote:
<quoted text>That sucks.I guess nothing stays the same.I miss trucking,I had so much fun waking up in a different state every day.
Westland died the same way so many malls die...a newer, shinier one opens up the road:

http://www.simon.com/mall/the-mall-at-tuttle-...

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#115 Feb 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Westland died the same way so many malls die...a newer, shinier one opens up the road:
http://www.simon.com/mall/the-mall-at-tuttle-...
It's just sad what happens to cities over time.I remember watching Euclid Square mall being built in 1976.It's a dead mall too now.Man I'm old.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#116 Feb 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Means nothing. It tells me nothing about what kind of city it is, the demographics, what kind of people live there, the fabric of the area, etc.
Who cares about Lamar Hunt's sports teams.
Lamar Hunt is dead.

But you love his sports teams.

The Latinization of this country has made MLS possible, Hunt started the MLS team in Columbus.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#117 Feb 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that Cleveland had a mid 20th century population of nearly 1,000,000 while Columbus had 375,000 was significant as well.
Cleveland-Akron CSA 2.8 million

Columbus CSA-2 million

Cincinnati CSA- 2.2 million

If we keep declining, you might get yourselves our NBA team.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#118 Feb 2, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Cleveland-Akron CSA 2.8 million
Columbus CSA-2 million
Cincinnati CSA- 2.2 million
If we keep declining, you might get yourselves our NBA team.
That's the last thing any city needs. And Ohio State would do everything in its power to keep the NBA out. They tried to keep the NHL out back in 1995-97.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#119 Feb 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>That's the last thing any city needs. And Ohio State would do everything in its power to keep the NBA out. They tried to keep the NHL out back in 1995-97.
Indeed, I fully regret supporting "The King" when he played here. I haven't watched any NBA since.

But the NBA is the least stable of the four, with another team moving (Sacramento to Seattle)

I don't think the Cavs will move in the next 10 years, but if attendance dives again, then they are gone.

Coleman is trying to get an NBA team, though none are likely to move for now.

If KC or OKC gets a hockey team, it makes them even bigger.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#120 Feb 2, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, I fully regret supporting "The King" when he played here. I haven't watched any NBA since.
But the NBA is the least stable of the four, with another team moving (Sacramento to Seattle)
I don't think the Cavs will move in the next 10 years, but if attendance dives again, then they are gone.
Coleman is trying to get an NBA team, though none are likely to move for now.
If KC or OKC gets a hockey team, it makes them even bigger.
KC had the NHL and blew it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Franklin County water-sewer bills rising 3% 5 min Reality Speaks 3
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 13 min Reality Speaks 226
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 17 min Reality Speaks 274
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 53 min mr tea bag 13
Will Cosby Be Charged With Hate Crimes For Drug... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 13
Coleman endorses Ginther for mayor 2 hr They cannot kill ... 4
chanukah hanukkah day 2 2 hr They cannot kill ... 4
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:47 pm PST

Bleacher Report 5:47PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
Bleacher Report 8:41 PM
What Are Experts Saying About Denver?
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Browns Should Sign/Draft Topflight Pass-Catcher for Johnny
NBC Sports 9:08 AM
Derek Anderson tries to rebuild bridge he napalmed
NFL 9:32 AM
Cam Newton takes first-team reps at Panthers practice