of 2
Next Last

Cleavon Little

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#23 Nov 18, 2012
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right Bob. I have 401k, company pension, an annuity and social security to fall back on. In the not too distant future, and some companies have started already, it will all be 401k (instead of company retirement programs), with a very meager matching contribution from the company.
I'm in the same position as you. I joined my company (in 1990) when they were still offering a pension plan, so I was lucky. Every new hire after 1997 has no pension.
Oliver

Blacklick, OH

#24 Nov 18, 2012
Spookstillhere f trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a fan of day old Krispy Kreme doughnuts . There used to be two old women that opened a doughnut shop in an old Taco Bell along Memorial Dr. Lancaster. They had the best doughnuts fresh or.even after a couple of days.
This is not about donuts so fresh you have to slap them. This is about getting the Sunday paper and coffee blotters at the same stop, without waiting and without overly cheerful, overly caffeinated donut grabbers.
notlocal

AOL

#26 Nov 18, 2012
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I am all for people being paid as much as they can get, but they also have to be realistic. The only pension you're going to have is if you put away the money yourself.
I don't care about the hourly so much either. My husband, non union, still mostly works on 'rate' jobs and makes union rate. Even if he doesn't, he's been at it so long and is so experienced, he does fine. When there is work, and I expect it to slow down drastically in 2013.

I started an IRA years ago. Pushed by a broker friend. My boss, the billionaire, will NOT offer any 401K or retirement plan. His lawyers and i have begged him. It's not that's he is ungenerous, I think he looks at it as an avenue for you to leave. He did add myself, the farm and property managers to his will about 15 years ago so if he kicks, our salaries keep going at a %. The key is to save for yourself and don't acquire debt.

I am amazed by what people put on credit cards and don't pay immediately. I have never paid a cent of CC interest. Even if I have to take it from savings, I'm better off.
notlocal

AOL

#27 Nov 18, 2012
proud latino wrote:
Don't worry MEXICAN BINBO will buy them out and they will put the people back to work.
Listen carefully:

The company has closed.

It's products will not be available to buy. Who cares?

No one is going to reopen if the current owners could not make a profit. At least no in the USA.

18,000 newly unemployed.

The big news here is not that twinkies won't be on the shelf any longer. The dire news is that our government just lost LOTS OF TAX revenue, so the debt is going to grow and 18,000 are unemployed and will need assistance, so it will grow more.

We're heading the wrong way here.

Kosmik

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#28 Nov 18, 2012
Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>I'm in the same position as you. I joined my company (in 1990) when they were still offering a pension plan, so I was lucky. Every new hire after 1997 has no pension.
I've never worked for a company that offered a pension. So early on that was always in my plans. I received profit sharing, bonuses, one company offered shares, which I took advantage of and bought several hundred on my own.

Then I had to lay up my own retirement which is a collage of income from 'junk'(heh heh) an annuity, bonds,a 401k which I still feed (that's for later), slow selling of precious metals and I still do a spot of work. I've put in 30 or so hours this past week and it won't slow down until the week before Christmas. Then right after the first until roughly the end of Jan/first of Feb.

I'm just tickled to be able to do what I do at this point in life. Next weekend will have a grandson to go to the Bowling Green-Buffalo game at Crew Stadium on Friday. Weather permitting we're going to have a campfire and roast wienies and marshmallows.

Sat, we'll party like it's the national championship and watch the OSU/MI game. Let him pick dinner and take him back to mom on Sunday, it's a hell of a life I lead.
Enzyte Bob

Powell, OH

#29 Nov 19, 2012
notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen carefully:
The company has closed.
It's products will not be available to buy. Who cares?
No one is going to reopen if the current owners could not make a profit. At least no in the USA.
18,000 newly unemployed.
The big news here is not that twinkies won't be on the shelf any longer. The dire news is that our government just lost LOTS OF TAX revenue, so the debt is going to grow and 18,000 are unemployed and will need assistance, so it will grow more.
We're heading the wrong way here.
I will agree with the libs on one thing, though. The big change in the world today is that everything is finance driven. If you can take a stream of cash flows, and apply x% rate of return to those cash flows, you can justify a high price to sell out at and can justify taking on a lot of debt.

More often than not, this typically leads to a race to the bottom but this is a dangerous way of doing business, and business by the numbers does create a lot of disruption in the job market.

I've used examples before of White Castle and The Dispatch Group as family owned companies that do everything with internally generated cash. Not only are they thriving (for the most part - except for the Columbus Dispatch), but name one other fast food chain where you see 25-year employees behind the counter. They aren't subject to Wall Street whims, make plenty of money and provide better work opportunities for their employees.

But if White Castle's family owners ever sell out, Wall Street is there to do that, and the cycle starts over again.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#30 Nov 19, 2012
Well, whatta ya know. Now the court trustee is suggesting mediation. Twinkies may not be dead after all.
http://news.yahoo.com/hostess-liquidation-too...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Syracuse University Whitey Racists Gone Wild 18 min Pope Che Reagan C... 32
Columbus Nightclub Days,East Dallas,AAfter The ... (Mar '10) 20 min Been There 84
Sean Hannity 31 min Male 230
Billy Graham 37 min 404 not found 1
Arizona Congressional Election 42 min 404 not found 1
Fire Bob Mueller, Mueller Must Go, Trump Is Bos... 57 min Male 137
News Columbus Democrat fights with Black Caucus, Hou... 1 hr Republicans Shill... 2
The Comey Interview 1 hr 404 not found 201
Hi im Holly Hylton Your Local Racist Starbucks ... 7 hr Reality Speaks 115

Columbus Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages