House Passes Pork-Laden Sandy "Relief" Bill

Posted in the Columbus Forum

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Jan 15, 2013
http://tinyurl.com/baoq4og

I asked a few weeks ago whether we would see a change in John Boehner or not after he gave a great speech in accepting the majority leader of the House.

We received the answer today when he brought to the floor a bill he knew the majority of Republicans opposed.

A bill that is anything but a “emergency relief” bill.

--“According to the Congressional Budget Office, more than 90 percent of this money won’t even be spent this year,” Rep. Tom McClintock said.“That’s not emergency relief.”--

Nope….it’s all pork. The majority of Republicans knew this and wanted that crap gone.

--The House approved a $50 billion Sandy relief bill Tuesday evening, after several hours of contentious debate in which scores of Republicans tried unsuccessfully to cut the size of the bill and offset a portion of it with spending cuts.

Members approved the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act, H.R. 152, in a 241-180 vote. Among Republicans, 179 voted against it, and just 49 voted for it, a protest against a bill that many conservatives say is too big and provides funding for things other than immediate relief for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.--

Taxing the rich this year netted Obama’s government 60 billion. Total amount allocated for these Sandy “relief” bills? 59 billion.

26 billion went to actual Sandy relief. 33 billion went to pork.

I’m happy 179 tried to hold the line but this is just pathetic.

Spending will never be cut, and we are heading down a road that has a very unhappy ending.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 15, 2013
-tip- wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/baoq4og
I asked a few weeks ago whether we would see a change in John Boehner or not after he gave a great speech in accepting the majority leader of the House.
We received the answer today when he brought to the floor a bill he knew the majority of Republicans opposed.
A bill that is anything but a “emergency relief” bill.
--“According to the Congressional Budget Office, more than 90 percent of this money won’t even be spent this year,” Rep. Tom McClintock said.“That’s not emergency relief.”--
Nope….it’s all pork. The majority of Republicans knew this and wanted that crap gone.
--The House approved a $50 billion Sandy relief bill Tuesday evening, after several hours of contentious debate in which scores of Republicans tried unsuccessfully to cut the size of the bill and offset a portion of it with spending cuts.
Members approved the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act, H.R. 152, in a 241-180 vote. Among Republicans, 179 voted against it, and just 49 voted for it, a protest against a bill that many conservatives say is too big and provides funding for things other than immediate relief for New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.--
Taxing the rich this year netted Obama’s government 60 billion. Total amount allocated for these Sandy “relief” bills? 59 billion.
26 billion went to actual Sandy relief. 33 billion went to pork.
I’m happy 179 tried to hold the line but this is just pathetic.
Spending will never be cut, and we are heading down a road that has a very unhappy ending.
Indeed we are. And Obama can not get us there fast enough as his punishment for the imagined 'sins of colonialism.'

It's pathetic that the government takes us for such fools and sheep.

The only thing to stop the spending is to stop paying taxes. And it can be done if organized. But the dems will counter with withholding SS benefit checks. Not welfare, not government salaries.....SS.

One month of the working Americans having 0 federal withholding deducted from their paychecks would bring the government to their knees and stop the spending. Maybe those on SS could afford to skip a month's benefits.

There should be a huge letter writing campaign to all congressmen telling them SS is a paid in advance repayment of your own money and not an entitlement.

You mention entitlements, and both parties goes straight to SS and Medicare. Wtf? Those were paid for in advance by the employee and matched by the employer. How's that an entitlement?

And in my family, most have not lived long enough to collect.

This was a bad vote under any circumstances.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brelo not guilty 8 min BizzyBee 17
Worst President in History 19 min Male 144
News Jeni's Scoop Shops Reopen After Listeria Scare 1 hr Big Johnson 1
News Police officer's estimate good enough for speed... (Jun '10) 1 hr ty Ree 330
Black Crime is out of control. 1 hr BoneYard 65
Hillary gets fingered by Obama 8 hr Gilda 7
Cleveland Cop Found NOT GUILTY In Deadly 2012 S... 8 hr They cannot kill ... 3
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]