Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in ...

Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in Ohio?

There are 1159 comments on the The Marion Star story from Mar 1, 2014, titled Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in Ohio?. In it, The Marion Star reports that:

Robert Johnson-Keeton grew up in a religious community just outside Chillicothe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Marion Star.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#781 Mar 22, 2014
Fundies R Mentally Eel wrote:
<quoted text>
You're babbling. You're not saying anything.
There's no marriage without government say so. It doesn't matter if you want to whine that marriage is "more than" a contract. You still need the license.
Not in ten states and the District of Columbia... Common law marriage is still legal there.
Fundies R Mentally Eel

Philadelphia, PA

#782 Mar 22, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in ten states and the District of Columbia... Common law marriage is still legal there.
That is less than marriage in many ways, as I patiently explained for you freeeks. And to the extent that in some contexts "common law marriage" confers the rights and responsibilities of marriage that's because the _government_ give them that (partial) recognition.

The common law thing is not an argument about government not regulating marriage. It demonstrates, again, how the government does determine or regulate marriage.

You didn't address the other _obvious_ ways in which government must regulate marriage.

Can you even remember what they were, you time wasting pos?

The "get government out of marriage" business is craziness from anti rational people, G. Stone included, imo.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#783 Mar 22, 2014
<quoted text>
That is less than marriage in many ways, as I patiently explained for you freeeks.
Nope. When you get divorced, she still gets the house. Same survivorship rights and everything.
d pantz

Akron, OH

#784 Mar 23, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's hard with the body and hard with the mind. Capitalism has decided the value of each.
capitalism in the USA is a myth. The crony free trade lobbyists have destroyed the middle class and white collar jobs too with outsourcing that not only costs us jobs, it drives down pay. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/strictlybusiness...
http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/25/news/economy/...
d pantz

Akron, OH

#785 Mar 23, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
When last I checked, marriage is a choice. So long as that single person has equal ability to marry should they so choose, equal protection of the law is satisfied.
<quoted text>
No. I believe in freedom and equality. Should one choose not to marry, that is their choice. There are, of course, real life consequences and legal ramifications of such choices. As I noted above, so long as that single person has equal ability to marry should they so choose, equal protection of the law is satisfied.
<quoted text>
As I noted above, marriage is a choice. So long as that single person has equal ability to marry should they so choose, equal protection of the law is satisfied.
<quoted text>
They have equal protection to marry should they choose to do so. Electing not to marry does not mean that one does not have equal protection
<quoted text>
Once again, they have equal protection to marry should they choose to do so. Electing not to marry does not mean that one does not have equal protection under the law.
Do you ever offer relevant and intelligent arguments? The line of argument you have attempted to deploy here is beyond pathetic.
right. Some one who chooses differently than you is pathetic and they deserve to pay through the nose because choosing differently makes them unequal to you. Why? BTW you do have the equal ability to choose... someone of the opposite sex. You don't like that because you wish to choose differently. Seeing a trend here? You electing not to marry the opposite sex does not mean you do not have equal protection under the law. Just going by what you said. Yeah marriage is a choice based on the silly belief you need to do it.
d pantz

Akron, OH

#786 Mar 23, 2014
dont get me started wrote:
Well it seems like we are going back to the old ways like white and blacks have to use different bathrooms seems too me that gays and straight will have there bathrooms now I am gay myself but I am a professor this is so stupid to me it's the 21st century get over your selfs
you mean the days when the Jim Crow laws tried to redefine "marriage", I know... so you elaborate on your sexual orientation when you ask where the restrooms are at a public place?? Why?? That's unnecessary!
d pantz

Akron, OH

#787 Mar 23, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which brings up a small point... speeding tickets are the same dollar amount for everyone.
<quoted text>
Great! And I'm retired, so it's ALWAYS the weekend :)
nice. Enjoy!

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#788 Mar 23, 2014
d pantz wrote:
right. Some one who chooses differently than you is pathetic and they deserve to pay through the nose because choosing differently makes them unequal to you. Why?
Life has choices.
Choices have consequences.
If they are offended by the perceived penalty, they have the right to make a choice rectifying the perceived injustice. If they do not do so, they have no one to blame but themselves.
d pantz wrote:
BTW you do have the equal ability to choose... someone of the opposite sex.
Can you indicate a compelling governmental interest served by limiting marriages to being between a man and a woman that would render such a restriction constitutional? If so, you should rush to the aid of the lawyers defending, or at least attempting to defend, gay marriage bans. They are having a terrible time because they cannot find any such interest that would render their arguments valid, which is why they are consistently losing in court.
d pantz wrote:
You don't like that because you wish to choose differently. Seeing a trend here?
No, I don't like it because the restrictions are unconstitutional.
d pantz wrote:
You electing not to marry the opposite sex does not mean you do not have equal protection under the law.
It does if the restriction is unconstitutional.
d pantz wrote:
Just going by what you said. Yeah marriage is a choice based on the silly belief you need to do it.
I am unmarried, and have no intention of marrying. I argue for equality under the law for all, because it is the right thing to do, and it is the truly American thing to do.

Those who love freedom fight for equality. Those who live in irrational fear try to hold fellow citizens as second class citizens with less than equal protection of the law.

Which side would you rather be on?
d pantz

Akron, OH

#789 Mar 23, 2014
Nickled Dimed wrote:
It's coming; nothing you can do to stop it.
well with less hetero people getting married these days the divorce industry (a multi billion dollar industry) is probably licking their chops. There's already a line of ssm's waiting for legal divorces too.
d pantz

Akron, OH

#790 Mar 23, 2014
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>So what? As long as I wanted sex it has been with men. I grew up in the bad old days and had to deny it to all, including me, but it was a horrible time and I am just glad I did NOT marry like some guys my age did for trying to "cure' themselves. It never worked.
When I DID knock off the nonsense and false desires it was like taking off really tight shoes and putting on cushy house slippers.
so I'm saying you're right. A closet case probably has more issues than trying to deny their sexuality.. it probably makes a person insane. I guess I can't really say because I can't relate. http://m.youtube.com/watch...

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#791 Mar 23, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
Not "always".
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html
You just hate those who achieve.
Ever since they were instated in 1913, they have been progressive with higher earners with more disposable income paying more.

Even earlier income taxes were of a progressive rate.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation....

None of which has any bearing upon the topic at hand.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#792 Mar 23, 2014
CDC

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM))a represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2010, young MSM (aged 13-24 years) accounted for 72% of new HIV infections among all persons aged 13 to 24, and 30% of new infections among all MSM. At the end of 2010, an estimated 489,121 (56%) persons living with an HIV diagnosis in the United States were MSM or MSM-IDU.

Fast Facts

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (referred to here as MSM) are more severely affected by HIV than any other group in the United States.
Among all MSM, black/African American MSM bear the greatest disproportionate burden of HIV.
From 2008 to 2010, HIV infections among young black/African American MSM increased 20%

d pantz

Akron, OH

#793 Mar 23, 2014
<quoted text>
You're babbling. You're not saying anything.
There's no marriage without government say so. It doesn't matter if you want to whine that marriage is "more than" a contract. You still need the license.
Your common law marriage example is nonsense. Those are legally less than marriages in the context of government benefits and when going abroad, etc.
there is no "legal" marriage without "government say so." And the common law example isn't BS. It just depends where you live, Einstein. You're trying to say a license is a contract still? Fine! then it is... here.... http://www.henrymakow.com/the_true_danger_of_...
there you go. A marriage license is an adhesion contract.... if we're still insisting a "marriage is a contract" and not anything else.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Bedford Falls

#794 Mar 23, 2014
CDC

HIV and AIDS Diagnosesc and Deaths

In 2011, in the United States, MSM accounted for 79% of 38,825 estimated HIV diagnoses among all males aged 13 years and older and 62% of 49,273 estimated diagnoses among all persons receiving an HIV diagnosis that year.
At the end of 2010, of the estimated 872,990 persons living with an HIV diagnosis, 440,408 (50%) were MSM. Forty-seven percent of MSM living with an HIV diagnosis were white, 31% were black/African American, and 19% were Hispanic/Latino.
In 2011, MSM accounted for 52% of estimated AIDS diagnoses among all adults and adolescents in the United States. Of the estimated 16,694 AIDS diagnoses among MSM, 39% were in blacks/African Americans; 34% were in whites; and 23% were in Hispanics/Latinos.
By the end of 2010, an estimated 302,148 MSM with an AIDS diagnosis had died in the United States since the beginning of the epidemic, representing 48% of all deaths of persons with an AIDS diagnosis.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Bedford Falls

#795 Mar 23, 2014
CDC

Prevention Challenges

The large number of MSM living with HIV means that, as a group, gay, bisexual, and other MSM have an increased chance of being exposed to HIV. Results of HIV testing conducted in 20 cities as part of the National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System indicated that 18% of MSM tested in 2011 were HIV-positive and that HIV prevalence increased with increasing age.

In this study, the overall percent of gay and bisexual men with HIV who knew of their HIV infection increased from 56% in 2008 to 66% in 2011. Among those infected, 49% of young MSM aged 18 to 24 years knew of their infection, whereas 76% of those aged 40 and over were aware of their HIV infection. Fifty- four percent of black/African American MSM knew of their infection, compared with 63% of Hispanic/Latino MSM and 86% of white MSM. Persons who don’t know they have HIV don’t get medical care and can unknowingly infect others. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all MSM get tested for HIV at least once a year. Sexually active MSM might benefit from more frequent testing (e.g., every 3 to 6 months).

Sexual risk behaviors account for most HIV infections in MSM. Anal sex without a condom (unprotected anal sex) has the highest risk for passing HIV during sex. It is also possible to become infected with HIV through oral sex, though the risk is significantly less than for anal or vaginal sex. For sexually active MSM, the most effective ways to prevent HIV are to limit or avoid anal sex, or for MSM who do have anal sex, to correctly use a condom every time. Gay men are at increased risk for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), like syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, and CDC recommends that all sexually active MSM be tested annually for these infections.

Alcohol and illegal drug use increases risk for HIV and other STIs. Using substances such as alcohol and methamphetamines can impair judgment and increase risky sexual behavior.
d pantz

Akron, OH

#796 Mar 23, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't need to be directly addressed by the US Constitution. Equality under the law is addressed, and the second a state makes a law establishing the protections of marriage, which every state in the union has done, it is subject to the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause.
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amend...
<quoted text>
Those amendments are not constitutional. This is why many courts are overturning them. Marriage has long been held to be a fundamental right by the US Supreme Court.
https://www.afer.org/blog/14-supreme-court-ca...
The US Supreme Court has also held that:
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials, and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/...
<quoted text>
Before the First Amendment guarantees free exercise of religion, it first bars congress from making laws respecting an establishment of religion. The US Supreme Court has long held that this provision also applies to states as well as city governments. Any law respecting an establishment of one religion does so to the detriment of the free exercise of any other.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first...
<quoted text>
I am tolerant of free exercise, but as I pointed out above, one has the right to free exercise, not the right to force others to live by their religious moral standards.
Is there any other argument you would care to advance in your quest to make yourself look foolish?
once again, how is placing a financial burden on people (gay or straight) who choose not to get married based on the belief they don't need to, equal protection. And don't give me the they're different crap you seem to hate when its focused on you.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Bedford Falls

#797 Mar 23, 2014
CDC warns gay men of ‘epidemic’ HIV rates

by Thaddeus Baklinski

Mon Jul 08, 2013 13:46 EST
Tags: gay marriage, hivaids, homosexuality

WASHINGTON, DC, July 8, 2013 ( LifeSiteNews.com )- A fact sheet released at the end of June by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) warns that HIV rates, already at epidemic proportions, are continuing to climb steadily among men who have sex with men (MSM).

"Gay and bisexual men remain at the epicenter of the HIV/AIDS epidemic," says Jonathan Mermin, the director of the CDC's division of HIV/AIDS prevention.

The CDC notes that while homosexual men make up only a very small percentage of the male population (4%), MSM account for over three-quarters of all new HIV infections, and nearly two-thirds (63 percent) of all new infections in 2010 (29,800).

"Men who have sex with men remain the group most heavily affected by HIV in the United States," the fact sheet states.

US News reports that if HIV infections among men who have sex with men (MSM) continue to rise at the current rates, more than half of college-aged homosexual men will have HIV by the age of 50.

When broken down by age group, the CDC reported that new infections among the youngest MSM, aged 13-24, increased from 7,200 infections in 2008 to 8,800 in 2010, which translates into a 22 percent increase in that time span.

Young black MSM continue to have the highest infection rate, according to the CDC, accounting for more than half (55 percent) of new infections among young MSM.

"CDC’s new estimates show that African Americans, more than any other racial/ethnic group, continue to bear the greatest burden of HIV in the United States," the report states. "While blacks represent approximately 14 percent of the total U.S. population, they accounted for almost half (44 percent) of all new HIV infections in 2010 (20,900). HIV incidence among blacks was almost eight times higher than that of whites - 68.9 v. 8.7 per 100,000 of the population."

However, the total number of infections is highest amongst Whites:“White MSM continue to represent the largest number of new HIV infections among MSM (11,200), followed closely by black MSM (10,600) and Hispanic MSM (6,700)."

Despite the disturbing data, the United States' leading gay advocacy organizations - known pejoratively as "Gay Inc." by some HIV activists - barely make mention of or allocate any resources towards fighting the scourge, instead focusing on things like passing gay "marriage," fighting anti-gay bullying, and "fostering positive places of worship," according to US News.

"The recent rise of HIV/AIDS ... is huge and it's not talked about because 'Gay Inc.' says nothing about it," Peter Staley, founder of the Treatment Action Group, told US News.

"The recent rise of HIV/AIDS ... is huge and it's not talked about because 'Gay Inc.' says nothing about it," Peter Staley, founder of the Treatment Action Group, told US News.

The organization notes that while "studies indicate that individual risk behavior alone does not account for the disproportionate burden of HIV among young MSM," other factors are involved in the escalating HIV/AIDS epidemic in the homosexual community, including, "higher prevalence of HIV among MSM, which leads to a greater risk of HIV exposure with each sexual encounter; the high proportion of young MSM (especially young MSM of color) who are unaware of their infection, which increases the risk of unknowingly transmitting the virus to others; stigma and homophobia, which deter some from seeking HIV prevention services; barriers, such as lack of insurance and concerns about confidentiality, that result in less access to testing, care, and antiretroviral treatment; and high rates of some STDs, which can facilitate HIV transmission. Additionally, many young MSM may underestimate their personal risk for HIV."

“Zuzu's Petals”

Bedford Falls

#798 Mar 23, 2014
Despite the disturbing data, the United States' leading gay advocacy organizations - known pejoratively as "Gay Inc." by some HIV activists - barely make mention of or allocate any resources towards fighting the scourge, instead focusing on things like passing gay "marriage," fighting anti-gay bullying, and "fostering positive places of worship," according to US News.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#799 Mar 23, 2014
Zoe Regen wrote:
CDC
Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM))a represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV.........
Since gay men can't stop being gay, are you arguing that having the option of legal marriage will INCREASE irresponsible sexual behavior in men?
If gay kids have the same levels of love, support, and acceptance that their straight counterparts do, including the gentle push toward responsible relationships, you argue that this will INCREASE their chances of contracting STDs in adulthood?
Can you provide proof of this?
It seems absurd, because in a monogamous relationship, there is zero chance of contracting HIV, and if protection is used outside of a monogamous relationships, the incidence will be low.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#800 Mar 23, 2014
I have yet to read any of the anti-same sex marriage people explain why they care.

Why do you care? Where's the damage?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Now it has a name: Crossfire Hurricane 2 hr d pants 188
Sean Hannity 2 hr White Fangs 878
Are Whites A Minority In Columbus? 3 hr Larry Cheese 10
Bet Russia doesn't "OUT " their FBI counterpart... 4 hr Just saying 1
NO lying about the Harry, Meghan Wedding 4 hr Just saying 41
News Columbus to pay $30,000 to man stomped by polic... 9 hr They cannot kill ... 19
News BrewDog opens watering hole in Franklinton Upda... 10 hr They cannot kill ... 2

Columbus Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages