Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in ...

Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in Ohio?

There are 1177 comments on the The Marion Star story from Mar 1, 2014, titled Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in Ohio?. In it, The Marion Star reports that:

Robert Johnson-Keeton grew up in a religious community just outside Chillicothe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Marion Star.

Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#703 Mar 21, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
What year is it on your cow pasture?
And where did you get the silly idea that income taxes have ANYTHING at all to do with equality?
well genius....does equality mean equal?

is it equal for one person to pay $10,000 in taxes, and another nothing?

if all men are created equal, then why discriminate?

equality would be everyone pay $10,000 in taxes, or everyone pay nothing.

since you obviously must not pay taxes, I hope I cleared up your equality question.

You want equality...I hear you loud and clear......if your equality is all inclusive that all people are treated exactly equal.......count me in.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#704 Mar 21, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> lol! Then what does to you? Insurance premiums? Interest rates?
WTF are you smoking?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#705 Mar 21, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
well genius....does equality mean equal?
is it equal for one person to pay $10,000 in taxes, and another nothing?
if all men are created equal, then why discriminate?
equality would be everyone pay $10,000 in taxes, or everyone pay nothing.
since you obviously must not pay taxes, I hope I cleared up your equality question.
You want equality...I hear you loud and clear......if your equality is all inclusive that all people are treated exactly equal.......count me in.
Taxes have NOTHING to do with equality. Taxes are based on income. Is everyone's income equal?

ASSume away, cow poke. I bet I pay more in taxes than you earn.
Fundies R Mentally ill

Stafford, VA

#706 Mar 21, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>Taxes have NOTHING to do with equality. Taxes are based on income. Is everyone's income equal?

You cretin trash, do you often brag about what you make? Act like you have some sense, which I know it's hard for you to do.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#707 Mar 21, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> so because I say a marriage license isn't a contract , I'm an idiot who doesn't understand the law?
Here is what boy genius posted: dpantz wrote:[quoted text ]contracts not licenses. You can't read. BTW notary's aren't restricted to real estate offices.
Fundies R Mentally ill wrote
"Hey pos, whatever you're raving about you're not talking about marriage licenses, which are contracts enforced by the government.[ end quoted text]
Dumb things you said in post #683
"are you sure a "fundi" isn't somebody who disagrees with you that a marriage license isn't a contract? Lmao"
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TCD5PPKSV...

Sorry, Charlie, legal marriage is a contract to secure certain legal rights and protections. Were you not an idiot, you would understand that.
Popcorn

Cleveland, OH

#708 Mar 21, 2014
Fundies R Mentally ill wrote:
<quoted text>
You cretin trash, do you often brag about what you make? Act like you have some sense, which I know it's hard for you to do.
^Pull up a chair. The gayboiz is havin' a cat fight.^
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#709 Mar 21, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxes have NOTHING to do with equality. Taxes are based on income. Is everyone's income equal?
marriage is the bond between man & woman

taxes have more to do with equality than your right to marriage.

you have exactly the same rights I do, but your taxed differently if at all.

PS: If you pay more in taxes than I earn, then you defiantly are being discriminated against. Since you are in the top 1%, why don't you buy an Island and form your own country?

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#710 Mar 21, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
marriage is the bond between man & woman
Can you indicate any compelling governmental interest served by such a restriction that would render is constitutional?
Reality Speaks wrote:
taxes have more to do with equality than your right to marriage.
Taxes are not a protection of the law. Marriage is a protection of the law in every state in the union.
Reality Speaks wrote:
you have exactly the same rights I do, but your taxed differently if at all.
Sorry, Charlie. Many states unconstitutionally forbid same sex marriage, which is the denial of equal protection of the law.
Reality Speaks wrote:
PS: If you pay more in taxes than I earn, then you defiantly are being discriminated against. Since you are in the top 1%, why don't you buy an Island and form your own country?
Taxes aren't a protection of the law.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#711 Mar 21, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> how is one person paying 10 percent of their weekly income "equal" to another paying 70percent?
If you're getting the same thing, you should pay the same amount. Two people go to the store for a loaf of bread. They each pay $2.89. For one, that is 1% of his weekly pay, for the other, 1/10th of a percent. To do otherwise is to reward one for less work.

Planet Earth

#712 Mar 21, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxes have NOTHING to do with equality. Taxes are based on income.
Should the cost of an oil change be based on income? Then why should the cost of any other service?
Fundies R Mentally Eel

Philadelphia, PA

#713 Mar 21, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> are you sure a "fundi" isn't somebody who disagrees with you that a marriage license isn't a contract? Lmao
I'm sure you misspelled the word, you stupid pos.
Fundies R Mentally Eel

Philadelphia, PA

#714 Mar 21, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> funny. "Marriage is a legal contract". You don't need a license for all contracts to be legal. But then "no license from the state, not legally married". But marriage isn't defined as a "license" or a "licensed contract". Matter of fact, you might want to steer clear of the legal definition of marriage, it doesn't help you prove your point.
Again, you need a marriage license from the state to have a marriage. A marriage confers over 1100 federal benefits, and lots of responsibilities. It certainly is a contractual matter.

Now, they might call it "family law" or "divorce law," but that is beside the point.

As long as we agree it is the state which governs "marriage" whatever nomenclature you want to make up, and then contradict, and then assert again, is fine.

Just so long as we don't have "religious" or other freeeks running around saying how the government does not or should not have any role in marriage. That's the main point.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#716 Mar 21, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Should the cost of an oil change be based on income? Then why should the cost of any other service?
So you think taxes are a service, eh?

Planet Earth

#717 Mar 21, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think taxes are a service, eh?
No, they PAY for services. And every resident should pay the same dollar amount for the same service. Total cost divided by number of residents.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#718 Mar 21, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they PAY for services. And every resident should pay the same dollar amount for the same service. Total cost divided by number of residents.
So, say, a motorcycle should pay the same as a double-bottom semi to use the Ohio Turnpike?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#719 Mar 21, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So why should taxes cost more than other services? HUH??
What the hell is wrong with your mind?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#720 Mar 21, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Always on the rag eh?

Planet Earth

#721 Mar 21, 2014
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, say, a motorcycle should pay the same as a double-bottom semi to use the Ohio Turnpike?
Some things can be apportioned. In those cases, the more use, the more the user should pay. With roads there is also a function of weight. Heavier vehicles wear out the roads more than lighter vehicles, and this should be taken into account. Of course there are ramifications.... the higher road use tax of heavy trucks will be translated into higher prices for whatever they''re hauling, but ultimately it is the most fair.

Things that cannot be apportioned should be paid equally by all those who the service is for. Military, for example.

Yet other things are a combination... Fire departments for example have a standby cost, where they benefit all, and run costs, where they are benefiting a specific person. Should be (and is starting to be in many communities, who are for example charging your insurance for EMS runs) charged accordingly.

Planet Earth

#722 Mar 21, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making no sense. You pay taxes to pay for the services government provides. Since it costs the same for the military to protect a rich person or a poor person from foreign attack, each person's charge for that service should be the same.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#723 Mar 21, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making no sense. You pay taxes to pay for the services government provides. Since it costs the same for the military to protect a rich person or a poor person from foreign attack, each person's charge for that service should be the same.
So everybody's taxes should be the same amount? Is that your point? Should we expect an itemized bill for each bomb dropped?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sharpton sets sights on GOP convention in Cleve... 12 min BizzyBee II 2
Hillary Clinton 2016? (Apr '13) 32 min scirocco 266
Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights a... 1 hr Versace 7
Young Black Males Causing Trouble 1 hr BizzyBee II 5
Do Atheist Firemen go to Hell or Heaven? 2 hr d pantz 152
News Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) 3 hr Rick 2,771
News Fairfield County jail inmate commits suicide | ... (Dec '09) 4 hr That guy 60
dana turtle 11 hr lol 18
Worst President in History 18 hr Reality Speaks 287
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]