Allegations of Blatant Racism Fracture Columbus Juvenile Court Dept.

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 30
Next Last
C Austin

Southington, CT

#1 Oct 24, 2007
Since Brenda Smith was appointed Deputy Director of Programs and Probation on 10/30/06, there have been a number of issues that have created a hostile and racially divided working environment at the Columbus Juvenile Court.
Brenda Smith has only met with the entire supervisory staff of the probation department once (11/17/07) since she became the Deputy Director. Since that time, she has direct contact with the Caucasian supervisors (Linda Bryant, PSI Supervisor and Cecil Howell, Special Services Supervisor) to address issues related to the PSI unit, placements and drug court. Brenda filters all contact with the African American Supervisors (Pam Thomas, Krystal Preston and Eddie Stanley) through the Chief PO Walt Wheeler.
PO Warren McCruter was issued a notepad computer to complete contact notes. The computer was stolen from his vehicle in February 2007. Warren immediately filed a police report and probation department incident report to document that the computer was stolen from his vehicle. Brenda Smith and Karen Casey (Court Director) decided that Warren was negligent and instructed him to pay $2700 to replace the notepad. Warren hired an attorney to dispute owing any replacement costs because the computer was stolen from his vehicle. Both Karen and Brenda stated that Warren was negligent.
Prior to this incident, another employee who is Caucasian (Amanda Ulliman who is no longer employed with the court), lost her notepad computer. She was immediately issued another notepad computer without having to pay the replacement costs.
Another employee, who is African-American (Trina Graham, who is also no longer employed with the court) had her notepad computer stolen from her desk. Karen and Brenda accused Trina of selling the computer. They showed Trina pictures from the security camera with a "black bag" resembling the computer bag after she reported the computer stolen. The security cameras are black and white. Ivan King (IT Department) confirmed that Trina returned the computer bag to him when she reported the computer stolen. Trina was then issued another computer without having to pay the replacement costs. When Warren questioned why he had to pay the replacement cost of $2700 when the computer was stolen when neither Amanda nor Trina had to pay and he found the same notepad computer on Ebay for $300, both Brenda and Karen stated that Amanda and Trina's computers were at the end of a 7 year contract and were due to be replaced anyway.
Since January 2007, there have been 16 resignations in the probation department due to the new administration (Jennifer Dilisio, Tony Lowe, Joanne Lunceford, Julie Lowery, David McCluney, Domonique Paige, Kari Halker, Amanda Ulliman, Starr Rutherford, Rayshawn Wilson, Mohammed Kasheer, Felicia Taylor, Stephanie Tobin, Sharron Alston, Shaletha Sanders and Rae Ann Anderson). Traditionally, the department averaged 1-2 resignations per year.
Buckeyebren

United States

#2 Oct 24, 2007
I have no doubt there is racism there. It has been found in the police department many times but only a few have been made public. Their union does it's best to sweep the rest under some rug. That rug however is festering with so much racist ooze it can not be contained by the lies being told any longer. The truth shows through as surely as I am typing these words by what people do in their daily life.
sunshine

Millersport, OH

#3 Oct 30, 2007
It's a shame that the very institution that is charged with protecting rights violates those of their own employees.
state football player

AOL

#4 Oct 31, 2007
I knew racism was still around, but this type of racism needs to be dealt with. The judges that we elect to supervise and run juvenile court better make some changes or they won't be around long.
Red Ranger 1054

Columbus, OH

#5 Oct 31, 2007
This Brenda person has direct contact with the White supervisors but goes through a third party when dealing with the Black supervisors? What,s that all about? Is she intimidated by the Blacks?
Seems like some one needs to check her qualifications to be over anybody.Sure does hint of racism to me.
One who knows

Columbus, OH

#6 Nov 1, 2007
Look at every major promotion in the past 2-3 years:
Position Filled by
Asst. Supe-Stenos White woman
Drug Court Supe White woman
Intake Clerk Supe White woman
Intake Supe White woman
Teen Court Supe White woman
Director Progs/Prob White woman
Personnel Manager White woman(didnt take job)

See any pattern?

When someone with experience is passed over (like Diane Tate), the excuse is "Julie has a Masters Degree". When someone with a degree is passed over, the reason is "Peggy has no degree, but more experience".

It is not just racism, it is sexism, too.

LISTEN UP

Dublin, OH

#7 Nov 1, 2007
The Judges don't care! Whats it going to take to wake people up and deal with racism, and sexism in the work place? We keep looking for warning signs, somebody is going to get hurt! People are tired to being ran over, because they are of a different color, and sex. Our children are at risk with this kind of stuff going on in juvenile court! WAKE UP AND SOUND THE ALARM!
Also Someone who knows

Columbus, OH

#8 Nov 2, 2007
LISTEN UP wrote:
The Judges don't care! Whats it going to take to wake people up and deal with racism, and sexism in the work place? We keep looking for warning signs, somebody is going to get hurt! People are tired to being ran over, because they are of a different color, and sex. Our children are at risk with this kind of stuff going on in juvenile court! WAKE UP AND SOUND THE ALARM!
CORRECTION! The Drug Court Superisor is Hispanic Thank You!
On the inside

Columbus, OH

#9 Nov 2, 2007
One who knows wrote:
Look at every major promotion in the past 2-3 years:
Position Filled by
Asst. Supe-Stenos White woman
Drug Court Supe White woman
Intake Clerk Supe White woman
Intake Supe White woman
Teen Court Supe White woman
Director Progs/Prob White woman
Personnel Manager White woman(didnt take job)
See any pattern?
When someone with experience is passed over (like Diane Tate), the excuse is "Julie has a Masters Degree". When someone with a degree is passed over, the reason is "Peggy has no degree, but more experience".
It is not just racism, it is sexism, too.
Not that I disagree with you at all, however,
the Drug Court Supervisor is Not White! She's Latina and she's had her own issues with the court too.
The Truth

Hilliard, OH

#10 Nov 2, 2007
Don't let KKKaren know that! Ask the only other hispanic supervisor .... oh wait, you can't, HE'S GONE, TOO!
Concerned Parent

AOL

#11 Nov 2, 2007
Sounds like there's cover up going on in our juvenile court. Tell everyone you know,its time to investigate. Lets get these racism white women away from making choices about our childrens future. Most of the children that they deal with are black. CALL THE NEWSPAPERS, CALL THE TV STATIONS, ITS TIME TO PUT A STOP TO THIS KIND OF RACISM IN OUR COURT SYSTEM.
Former employee

Columbus, OH

#12 Nov 2, 2007
The problem is, no one realizes how deep this thing goes. The person up above didnt mention most of the other top people are also white women
Deputy Director of HR/Assistant Director(Karen Casey's right hand, "hit-woman", and who knows what else), Deputy Director of Quality, Deputy Director of Finance, Assignment Commissioner, Court Reporter Supe, Restitution Supe, and the list goes on and on.
Blessed one

Columbus, OH

#13 Nov 3, 2007
I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that they have been cheating employees out of overtime and comp time for over a year. How many of you have been forced to white-out the comp time on your time sheet? I know it happened to me, and I was told that if ever turned in another timesheet with comp time on it that I would be brouight up on charges and the lawyer I'd need to hire alone would cost me $500- 800 dollars.
I was cheated too

Columbus, OH

#14 Nov 4, 2007
same thing happened to me
Red Ranger 1054

Columbus, OH

#15 Nov 5, 2007
I understand this current attempt to shake things up has been in the planning stage for six to nine months. Why was this information never shared with the Chief PO (now on administrative leave)or the recently retired Asst.Chief PO. I think that's a smokescreen to confuse the real issues. Face it. Racism does exist at the court and no one has the courage to call it what it is. Do the citizens of the county a favor and address it.
FELECIA

United States

#16 Nov 5, 2007
I AM SOOOO HAPPY THAT SOMEONE HAS FINALLY LET THE CAT OUT THE BAG!!! YA'LL ALL KNOW THEY TRIED TO DO ME IN ALSO!!! I AM SO GLAD I GOT OUT WHEN I DID. MAYBE IT WAS A BLESSING THAT THE T.O.P.S. PROGRAM LOST ITS FUNDING. IT IS JUST UNFORTUNATE THAT GOOD PEOPLE LEFT BECAUSE OF HOW BRENDA SMITH CHOOSES TO RUN FAMILY ASSESSMENT. HEY!!! WE CAN NO BLAME IT ALL ON HER; KAREN CASEY IS HER BOSS!!!! SHE HAS TO DO WHAT IS TOLD. BRENDA, AND KAREN HAVE CHILDREN; THEY HAVE TO REALIZE THAT THE WRONG THAT THEY DO MAY COME BACK ON THEIR CHILDREN IN THE WORK PLACE. THEY DO WRONG TO US, AND THEIR CHILDREN OR OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS MAY GET TREATED THE SAME. THEY BETTER THINK, BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE WATCHING!!! I WISH THE BEST FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ARE STILL AT THE COURTS IN FAMILY ASSESSMENT. GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE. HMMMM.... MAKES ME WONDER, "I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO THE PEOPLE I KNEW WHEN I FIRST WAS HIRED AT THE COURTS."
FELECIA

United States

#17 Nov 5, 2007
KEEP IT GOING!!! PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!!!
FELECIA

United States

#18 Nov 5, 2007
ARE THE JUDGES DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? I BET NOTHING WILL EVER HAPPEN TO BRENDA, OR ANY OF HER "PARTNERS IN CRIME."
LISTEN UP

AOL

#19 Nov 5, 2007
WE MUST PUT PRESSURE ON THE JUDGES TO FACE THE FACT THAT RACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL IN JUVENILE COURT! WE CAN'T GIVE UP, WE MUST PRAY AND DO ALL THAT WE CAN DO TO BRING THIS OUT, UNTIL OUR CHANGE COMES!
KEEP HOPE ALIVE

Columbus, OH

#20 Nov 5, 2007
THE JUDGES IS NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO NEED TO HEAR THIS DONT FORGET ABOUT THE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 30
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Admits Communist Davis “Schooled” Him 7 min Morning Joe 92
Statistics of Wars Throughout History 6 hr Scourge 61
Do Atheist Firemen go to Hell or Heaven? 7 hr Why 89
News Soda pub aims to be a - rambling house' 7 hr Big Johnson 1
News Reynoldsburg Couple Facing New Charges In Plot ... 7 hr Big Johnson 3
When Obama gets to Heaven will he be a Muslim o... 7 hr They cannot kill ... 47
News Columbus firefighter charged with raping young ... 7 hr Big Johnson 1
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE