Pay off card debt with 401(k)? Ita s new a I wanta error | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 2 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 26, 2011, titled Pay off card debt with 401(k)? Ita s new a I wanta error | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

During my online discussions, questions about the best way to handle credit-card debt and the repercussions from it still dominate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Money matters

Hilliard, OH

#1 Jun 26, 2011
I disagree.

While this logic applied in the past, when credit card rates and fees were reasonable in some situations is does make sense to use a much lower cost loan from your 401k to pay off a high interest credit card loan. However there are some catches:

1. You should never take more than 1/4 of your total 401k balance.

2. Your 401k should allow you to repay your loan to yourself and apply the interest earned on the loan back to the 401k balance. Some do and some do not.

3. The difference in the interest rate between the credit card and the 401k loan interest should be significant. Example: A 29% rate on a 10k credit card balance vs. a 5.5% interest rate on the 401k.

4. Job stability. If you lose your job some 401k's require immediate payback of the entire amount owed, immediately.

5. You destroy the credit card and close the account. Frankly very few people need a credit card with a 10k limit if they are living within their means. Reduce your limit to no more than 5k and carry only 1 card. Pay cash for everything. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

6. Set the payoff term on the 401k loan to the shortest time you feel you can afford and not put you in a cash poor situation.

In some situations it DOES make sense to not pay huge interest rates and fees. Talk with a qualified financial adviser before you make any decisions. Don't just rely on newspapers or web blogs for this advice. Everyone's situation is different.
Bettine

London, UK

#2 Mar 26, 2014
This is the first time I had ever applied for a loan. I couldn't have asked for anything more from the staff that answered any of my questions to the application process. Once this had all been completed the money was transferred quickly into my account. I will definitely be recommending 911PDAY .COM ( http://goo.gl/EvYZBe ) too my friends and family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Freddie Gray riots in Baltimore 1 hr Bushido Brown 201
What do FEMINISTS think about Brucine Jenner? 6 hr Linda 7
Poll Should President Obama go to Baltimore to fix t... 7 hr Linda 7
News Food pantry leaving gentrified Short North 7 hr Linda 6
Hooters Columbus locations closing due to defla... 7 hr Linda 201
Interesting that Baltimore happened on Obama's ... 8 hr REAL American 4
Watching the KENTUCKY DERBY 15 hr Seriouslady 7
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE