Somalia Bans Christmas Celebrations

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21 Dec 29, 2013
dunadd wrote:
The last I looked Somalia is in Africa. Why should black Somalians care about a white European holiday? Has Santa sent an emissary to Mogadishu to work things out?
Where is Bernard when Santa needs him?
I gotta admit, I laughed at this.

But isn't the basic question one of intolerance? Why should the Somalian government really care what one believes or worships? I would argue that Christmas really isn't an "ethnic" holiday--a la white European. It is a Christian religious holiday, but not ethnic. Different ethnic groups celebrate it differently. And it definitely has some roots in Saturnalia/winter solstice celebrations, but not all.

In order to be fair, I would hope the Somalian government would ban the celebration of Passover and Yom Kippur for the Ybir who claim they are of Hebrew descent... after all intolerance must be non-discriminatory by nature...
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#22 Dec 29, 2013
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think you could do it. I answered your question, Laverne, it just required you to think a little bit and that's what tripped you up.
No - you HATE it when people think.

Politically speaking, I don't like it when billions of US aid is given to a country who won't allow certain religious celebrations, or when US-based companies manufacture in a country with human rights issues.

Generally speaking, I don't like it when someone insists that their religion or church is the one, true religion or church. The world is too big and diverse for that and no one has the right to tell another how to worship or believe.

Personally speaking, it is interesting and eye-opening to hear stories of legal immigrants who really do want a better place to raise their children and do want to assimilate. I have great respect for those I have met because not only are they here to make a better life and gain citizenship, but they do all they can to help their folk who are unable to leave the country through fundraising and/or non-profit activities. Not for a second is this new life taken for granted.

As for the racist comment, that was below the belt. It's a game I don't play, and you know that. You must hate yourself very much to hate others as you do. I'm sorry for whatever happened to you to cause that. Now go feed that hateful part of your soul and tear my post to shreds.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#23 Dec 29, 2013
Yeah but all trappings and happenings of Christmas smacks of European isms. The Yule log straight from the old Celtic society. The Christmas tree from Gerrmany. Santa Claus from the Dutch Sinter Klaas, Dutch for ST Nicholas. Good King Wenceslas from Poland. The reindeer and sleigh from the Nordics. It smacks of Europeanism.
Most are correct when they say it is a pagan holiday introduced into Christianity. It has roots from all over Europe.
Santa as we know him today is an American institution, he being a much taller, slenderer man Father Christmas in European cultures.
We taught our children thusly, Santa is the personification of the spirit of giving so in essence anyone can be a Santa.
What think you!

Since: Dec 13

Medina, OH

#24 Dec 29, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You're going to answer a question with a question? Lame. I asked you a direct question, "counselor." How can her concern be labeled "faux." You know the reason for my response. You cannot answer a question without a fight or an argument.
I'm sorry I'm such a moron.
I have been working long hours at dukes crackho trailer and it just makes me bitter and moronic.

I believe it's these dang splinters from the table tennis paddle that are making me so irritable.....

“HAPPY SPRING”

Since: Apr 10

BLOCKHEADS!

#25 Dec 29, 2013
dunadd wrote:
Yeah but all trappings and happenings of Christmas smacks of European isms. The Yule log straight from the old Celtic society. The Christmas tree from Gerrmany. Santa Claus from the Dutch Sinter Klaas, Dutch for ST Nicholas. Good King Wenceslas from Poland. The reindeer and sleigh from the Nordics. It smacks of Europeanism.
Most are correct when they say it is a pagan holiday introduced into Christianity. It has roots from all over Europe.
Santa as we know him today is an American institution, he being a much taller, slenderer man Father Christmas in European cultures.
We taught our children thusly, Santa is the personification of the spirit of giving so in essence anyone can be a Santa.
What think you!
You are absolutely correct! Did you read the poem I posted about Santa being black? Santa is anyone you want him to be and the spirit of Christmas and giving. There is no set face to Santa,in the eyes of children.

Medina, OH

#26 Dec 29, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Politically speaking, I don't like it when billions of US aid is given to a country who won't allow certain religious celebrations, or when US-based companies manufacture in a country with human rights issues.
Generally speaking, I don't like it when someone insists that their religion or church is the one, true religion or church. The world is too big and diverse for that and no one has the right to tell another how to worship or believe.
Personally speaking, it is interesting and eye-opening to hear stories of legal immigrants who really do want a better place to raise their children and do want to assimilate. I have great respect for those I have met because not only are they here to make a better life and gain citizenship, but they do all they can to help their folk who are unable to leave the country through fundraising and/or non-profit activities. Not for a second is this new life taken for granted.
As for the racist comment, that was below the belt. It's a game I don't play, and you know that. You must hate yourself very much to hate others as you do. I'm sorry for whatever happened to you to cause that. Now go feed that hateful part of your soul and tear my post to shreds.
I apologize.

I'm just a bytch, I don't know what comes over me.........
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#27 Dec 29, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#28 Dec 29, 2013
dunadd wrote:
What think you!
Absolutely. Santa is just a good analogy for being a giving being for children. Traditions are largely European; however, I would suspect each of these traditions are morphing as there are Christians in Asia and Africa who very likely are blending their own cultural themes into how they celebrate.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#29 Dec 29, 2013
Yes, BizzyBee, I read all your posts even though I don't answer all.
Merry 5th day of Christmas!!!
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#30 Dec 29, 2013
Totally agree with you, gokeefe. I see nothing wrong with Santa in the Mekong Delta looking Vietnamese. And I certainly wouldn't expect him in the Delta to be wearing a fur lined suit and cap with black boots.
Some do not know there isn't any word in Vietnamese for snow. They didn't know what it was. imagine the first time they saw it snow in the states.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#31 Dec 29, 2013
Can anyone tell me *why* the posted article is laughable? Extra credit for the first person to sort it out.

Medina, OH

#32 Dec 29, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
Can anyone tell me *why* the posted article is laughable? Extra credit for the first person to sort it out.
errr....cause the Somali muslims have pretty much murdered any remaining Christians???????
Hence no need to forbid the celebration of a holiday that no one is alive to celebrate.....

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/...

Somalia has about 1,000 surviving Christians. And thatís a challenge in a country where everyone is either in an Islamic militia or trying to move to the United States to sponge off welfare and plot terrorist bombings.

In 2009, four Christian orphanage workers were beheaded for refusing to convert to Islam. Now Somalia has gotten enough of its act together to ban Christmas.

On January 17, 2013, the United States formally recognized the Federal Government of Somalia as an acknowledgement of the recent political and security gains in Somalia.

The United States is committed to assisting Somalia. At the second London Conference on Somalia on May 7, Deputy Secretary William J. Burns announced plans to provide, subject to Congressional notification, an additional nearly $40 million for Somalia.

Since 2009, the United States has provided over $1.5 billion in assistance to Somalia, including $545 million in FY 2012.

The U.S. Government hopes to continue substantial financial support to Somalia in future years that will support Somaliaís progress and transition to longer-term development.

Meanwhile Somali migration to the United States continues unabated so that the United States can become as peaceful and tolerant as Somalia.

Meanwhile Obama has plowed at least $1.5 billion into the terrorist Muslim hellhole.

more fun

http://morningstarnews.org/2013/11/christian-...
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#33 Dec 29, 2013
Wow, the fools in Columbus Topix have now resorted to new lows.

I love it.

woof

Medina, OH

#34 Dec 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
I love it.
woof
you said a mouthful honey pie.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#35 Dec 29, 2013
Merry 5th day of Christmas!!!!
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#36 Dec 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
I love it.
woof
And George said we would never take over.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#37 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
And George said we would never take over.
It was much easier than I thought it would be, too.

woof

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#38 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
errr....cause the Somali muslims have pretty much murdered any remaining Christians???????
Hence no need to forbid the celebration of a holiday that no one is alive to celebrate.....
http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/...
Somalia has about 1,000 surviving Christians. And thatís a challenge in a country where everyone is either in an Islamic militia or trying to move to the United States to sponge off welfare and plot terrorist bombings.
In 2009, four Christian orphanage workers were beheaded for refusing to convert to Islam. Now Somalia has gotten enough of its act together to ban Christmas.
On January 17, 2013, the United States formally recognized the Federal Government of Somalia as an acknowledgement of the recent political and security gains in Somalia.
The United States is committed to assisting Somalia. At the second London Conference on Somalia on May 7, Deputy Secretary William J. Burns announced plans to provide, subject to Congressional notification, an additional nearly $40 million for Somalia.
Since 2009, the United States has provided over $1.5 billion in assistance to Somalia, including $545 million in FY 2012.
The U.S. Government hopes to continue substantial financial support to Somalia in future years that will support Somaliaís progress and transition to longer-term development.
Meanwhile Somali migration to the United States continues unabated so that the United States can become as peaceful and tolerant as Somalia.
Meanwhile Obama has plowed at least $1.5 billion into the terrorist Muslim hellhole.
more fun
http://morningstarnews.org/2013/11/christian-...
I was rather more taking about the fact that Omar Ugas Mumin is the only minister whose duties relate to religious affairs and that the "Director of the Religious Matters" doesn't exist as a title within the Somali government. Nor does there seem to be a director general for the ministry, with the rather unusual arrangement of having multiple assistant ministers, seeming to come from different regions.

This seems to very clearly be a hoax story planted to play up the fears of the gullible. It's rather a shame that they didn't do a bit more research in putting it together, I suppose. Neither of these men appear to have any connection to the internationally (and US) supported federal government of Somalia.

Though these could be members of a factional opposition government and just got misrepresented in this story?
wiseAfricanAmeri can

Columbus, OH

#39 Dec 30, 2013
dunadd wrote:
The last I looked Somalia is in Africa. Why should black Somalians care about a white European holiday? Has Santa sent an emissary to Mogadishu to work things out?
Where is Bernard when Santa needs him?
THAT'S IT!!!!! You seem to have the common sense that's needed when thinking about such things, unfortunately WaitWhat does not! Christmas IS a European twist on Saturnalia (a Roman festival) and has NOTHING to do with Yashua ben Maryum (Jesus son of Mary).

Wait What, is another example of a backwards American hick who has no knowledge of historical events relating to a certain culture, nor does she research anything to find out its origin or cultural relevance! Africans DON'T WANT their people to continue Euro- centric fairy tales and fables that will reinforce a white supremacy dynamic in their psyche...period!

Why doesn't Wait What and others who don't agree practice KWANZAA?!!

“HAPPY SPRING”

Since: Apr 10

BLOCKHEADS!

#40 Dec 30, 2013
wiseAfricanAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> THAT'S IT!!!!! You seem to have the common sense that's needed when thinking about such things, unfortunately WaitWhat does not! Christmas IS a European twist on Saturnalia (a Roman festival) and has NOTHING to do with Yashua ben Maryum (Jesus son of Mary).
Wait What, is another example of a backwards American hick who has no knowledge of historical events relating to a certain culture, nor does she research anything to find out its origin or cultural relevance! Africans DON'T WANT their people to continue Euro- centric fairy tales and fables that will reinforce a white supremacy dynamic in their psyche...period!
Why doesn't Wait What and others who don't agree practice KWANZAA?!!
Because it's specifically a celebration for blacks.
http://www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org/origins...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 34 min Alternative Facts... 950
Robert Mueller Investigating Donald Trump 43 min Duke for Mayor 551
News Investor nightmare (Jul '09) 57 min Mahim-Toledo 92
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) 2 hr Real Curious 305
Someone hates pork fat. 3 hr Duke for Mayor 8
Chuck Schumer 4 hr BBB 3
Are Jobs More Important Than Our Environment? 7 hr Alternative Facts... 194

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages